Feasts - How do you celebrate if dh won't/can't?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:15 pm

purpletanya wrote:I am loving MFW!!!!!! We used it last year and had a blast. This year we are studying CTG. My question is about the feasts. How did you celebrate the Sabbath if your husband won't join in?????

Blessings
Tanya
Tanya,

First let me say that I will be praying for you to have wisdom to know the best way to handle this. I am sure that you know the verses that are in 1 Peter 3. I do not know exactly how this would apply to your situation but I know that as you seek the Lord He will give you wisdom.

An idea that I had is, to get the idea of a Sabbath, you could do it on a day during the week when he is not home so that he would not have to participate (if this is agreeable to him).

May you know the mind of Christ as his child.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:21 pm

Well, my husband is a believer and he still didn't want to do the feasts as they were written. He was right at the time --- only our oldest child would have been able to participate and it would have been too much work for us. The nice part is that in a few more years we will do CTG again and maybe then we can do it.

But we at least wanted to have some of the cultural experience. Maybe your husband would be interested in just that aspect of it --- from the cultural/educational side of it.

And isn't there a Greek feast near the end where you play ancient Greek dress up and eat some food? I remember doing a Roman Festival in Rome to the Reformation --- so my brain may just be remembering that. Maybe he'd be willing to do some of it just for the hands on activity side of it.

Here's what I did with my oldest. I read the book with her and we tried to set up stuffed animals and dolls to do some of it. No real candles and sometimes it was pretend food. Ok -- so I'm not the best example of how to do a hands on curriculum. But --- I adjusted as we needed to that year.

Our church was also doing some teaching of festivals with the children so a lot got substituted in children's church.

Hoping some of that can help you a bit.

-crystal

Postby cbollin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 am
No, my dh did not pray the prayers. He said them as written and pretended to give a dramatic reading. So, if any of you have husbands like mine -- encourage them to read it out loud, and then just pray normal. We did. we prayed for the food, and we asked God to make this a special time to learn. and let me tell you, HE did.

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:28 pm

Hi Tanya,

I'll be praying for your husband... and children. Here are a few ideas that you can use to either accomplish the Sabbath feast or at least learn about it.

1. My favorite idea is to ask around and see if there is another Christian family that celebrates the Jewish feasts out of their own beliefs or another family doing CTG and just ask if you can come to a Sabbath at their house. Would dh allow you to GO to celebrate even if he doesn't lead the celebration himself?

2. See if there's a messianic Jewish temple nearby. They probably worship every Friday night and perhaps you can join them for that. We did this and found it very special. Messianic Jews believe that Jesus is the Christ.

3. Or, ask if you can visit a (non-messianic) Jewish temple. I called around and we went to one.

4. Simply skip the feast and read books and discuss. Act it out with stuffed animals as Crystal suggested (great idea).

5. Borrow Fiddler on the Roof for your children. Preview it first for yourself and let them watch what you allow. There is a scene in there of several Jewish families celebrating the Sabbath in their homes and before they celebrate, everyone is scurrying home to get ready. It's a good family movie for older children and adults but some scenes are too intense for younger children. However, the Sabbath scene is fine for all, if you ask me.

6. Look on torahtots.com for coloring pages that show the Sabbath.

7. Do a little Bible study with the kids one passages about the Sabbath (such as Jesus healing on the Sabbath, the 10 Commandments, etc.)

Hope some of these ideas help; you certainly want to honor your dh but you also want to teach the material. I think you can do both.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Julie in MN

Feasts during the day

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:47 am

Tanya,
I agree that your husband's wishes must be respected, but if he okay with your doing things durng the school day, then here are a few more ideas:

1. The messianic temple we attended had a daytime service as well as the evening one. It was quieter but worked well for us.

2. Many of the daily events (blowing the shofar, counting the omer) can be done in the morning during Bible time.

3. A simple lunchtime feast with special prayers, a centerpiece, and special foods should be as meaningful to children as an evening one. God's intentions to me seem to be rest, celebration, remembering, and honor -- all day long.

4. Building a booth in the basement (possibly under a window) might be acceptable to dh, since it is similar to building a fort.

5. If the time ever seems right, you might invite him to participate in the CTG Bible readings in the evenings. It is straight reading thru the Old Testament, with no commentary except Victor Journey pictures of ancient sites etc. If he has questions, there's nothing like finding out for himself what is in there & what he thinks of it. And sometimes the Hebrew study is less intimidating (more historical fact than self-recriminating Holy Spirit, you might say :o)
(Note: Many nonbelievers know the ancient stories of Adam, Noah, etc. & never get past that. Those stories are very short & not much more is known about them. CTG gets to the more "complete" stories of Abraham and David & such & you really see what it's all about - if he is open to this conversation, of course!!!)

Just some thoughts,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

dhudson

Re: Celebrating Biblical Feasts

Unread post by dhudson » Wed May 27, 2009 6:09 pm

RJ's Momma wrote:I was wondering if there is anyone out there that did these on Friday during the day instead of at night. I would like my dh to be involved with these (and *I* really want to do them), but I'm pretty sure he won't want to. Will it take away from the experience too much to do them at lunch on Friday instead?
Shannon
There are some parts that are designed specifically for the Dad to do so I would beg, plead and promise to make it easy for him to do it as a family. It is really a very special and meaningful thing to do as an entire family.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie in MN

Re: Celebrating Biblical Feasts

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed May 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Agreeing with Dawn.

However, for plan B if that doesn't work, here's what we did. There are basically 3 fall feasts & 3 spring feasts. For the first official feast, my son & I went to a Messianic service (Christian Jews) during the daytime. We heard a real shofar. Then we had fun blowing our "shofar" (glass coke bottle) every morning and dad saw it was fun.

Then for the second one, we went to an evening service together as a family. Since we had been there before, it wasn't awkward for my husband. He heard the prayers being said and the shofar being blown. He felt the value for us as well as for our son.

For the third fall feast, dh enjoyed building the booth and then joining us inside for a simple "feast" of fake wine, apples, blowing the "shofar," etc.

The following spring, after his fall intro & when the feasts clearly coincide with Jesus, my husband enjoyed participating with us. It was an amazing period of revelation as we saw how God knew all the connections (Jesus celebrated the Passover; the disciples were gathered for Pentecost).

Whatever you do, you'll gain. Enjoy!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs