Read-Alouds - Patricia St. John books--wonderful!!

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Heather (WI)

Read-Alouds - Patricia St. John books--wonderful!!

Unread post by Heather (WI) » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:11 am

I just wanted to thank Marie for including these as the read-alouds in CTG. I had never heard of them before, but they are wonderful!! I am so.... glad we read them, as they have a beautiful message, and we have been so..... blessed by them.

I also got the movies for "Tanglewood's Secret" and "Treasures of the Snow" from our library. They aren't as good as the books, of course, but they are very good, and I am glad we watched them.

For anyone considering skipping these read-alouds, DON'T!! *smile*
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
MFW user since 2004:
ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR,
and starting Ex-1850 in Aug. 2008!!

Shelly Best

Unread post by Shelly Best » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:05 pm

Heather,

We like the Patricia St. John books so much we went to amazon and picked more to read.....

Heads up to future years with MFW....you get to read more!!
Blessings,
Shelly of CA
wife to Mike;
mother of Hannah(13), Michael(12), Thomas(9)
MFW since 2000

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:02 pm

Several of her books were also recommended in ECC. We actually never got to reading them; however, whenever I was bringing them back to the library, I started reading & enjoying them myself :o)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:25 am

Right now we are reading the last one in CtG, Treasures of the Snow. It is beautiful and we have also enjoyed Tanglewood Secret and Star of Light. Beautifully written and beautiful message.

These are the read-alouds that Dad insists we wait for him to be here to read! He loves them too. It makes for a nice family read time.
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

GoodCat

Star of Light

Unread post by GoodCat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:22 pm

This is such a good book. It is sad and hard at times, but it does have a good ending. My children really enjoyed this book and it did help them to understand that we live in a fallen world but in a gentle way. I hope you enjoy the end as much as we did :)

Blessings,
Cathy
Wife to Sean, a wonderful man for 13 yrs., mother to 6 beautiful children- 12dd, 11ds, 9ds, 7dd, 5dd, 2dd.
Used Abeka for 5 years.
Used ECC and MFW1 (and loved it)
Used CtG (and loved it : )
Using RtR (and loving it!!)

Michele in WA

Unread post by Michele in WA » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:14 pm

You will be so blessed by the ending, and the message that you can talk with your children about. All of Patricia St. Johns books have a kind of "sadness" to them, because they relate to a definitely fallen world, but she brings them to a close with such a hope of what we have in Christ.

Michele

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:16 am

Agreeing with the other ladies.

Patricia St. John has such a gift of making the gospel so real in the lives of her characters and the reality hits close enough to home to help us see our own deep need for Christ as the only hope for our lives too.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Amy in NC

Loving St John Books

Unread post by Amy in NC » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:55 am

lyntley wrote:We are about to finish up "Treasures Of the Snow" in CTG. We have so enjoyed The St John books. Could anyone tell me which of her other books I could get that are not included in future MFW years.
Lynnette,
We read Rainbow Garden over the Christmas holidays. It was very good. If I remember right it was in the ECC book basket list; maybe when you study mountains, Northern Europe. It's not scheduled in later years, as far as I know.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

Julie in MN

Re: Loving St John Books

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:01 pm

I think the main one to wait on is Twice Freed, which is in RTR Deluxe, and is perfect for your studies that year.

MFW also uses her Bible study book in year 5, but that's not really a novel.

Rainbow Garden may be on a couple of book basket lists, but isn't formally scheduled. Have fun reading!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MercyMamma

Unread post by MercyMamma » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:26 pm

I'll be starting K next year, so I've not used MFW yet but the St John books are one of the things that first drew me to this curriculum! My mom read us Treasures of the Snow every year starting December 1st, leading up to Christmas. She always cried at certain parts, its just such a special memory for me and I was thrilled that they are part of the curriculum.
Christy, mom to Lucy, Julia, and Esther
starting 1st in the fall

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:29 pm

If you still have your ECC manual from last year, turn to Africa book basket for some titles. There were a few listed there.

-crystal

Psalm 84

The Tanglewood Secrets

Unread post by Psalm 84 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:40 am

I have been reading aloud to my daughters since the beginning of their little lives!!! all sorts of books, hours each day.
....there is one special book that we read that has put a mark on our lives and hearts....

The Holy Spirit must be on this little book called The Tanglewood Secrets because it is a simple, predictable story, but it just warms the hearts of my daughters. My 13 and 14 year old daughters especially love it and even though I planned on reading it aloud to my 10 year old daughter, my older girls are always sitting in to Tanglewoods Secret. My 14 year old told me that it helped her to see that she needs to LISTEN for the Good Shepherd's voice. My 13 year old has reread this book so many times before I read aloud this month and she still thinks it is her favorite book. This is a girl who likes The Lord of the Rings and Rosemary Sutcliff historical fiction. And my 10 year old and I held hands on a nature walk to talk about the Good Shepherd. I started this book before Christmas and will finish it tomorrow on schedule with CTG. For my Christmas present my daughters found a little lamb figurine that was part of a nativity set. The little lamb was found in a stall full of nativity figurines in a Christmas market and it is a reminder from my girls for me to remember to listen to the Good Shepherd's voice. (they wanted to get me the shepherd too, but they didn't have enough euro...cute huh.)

Caryn

Re: The Tanglewood Secrets

Unread post by Caryn » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:05 am

Those foundations are what will carry them through many times in their lives, and your mama heart must be so warmed at this <3

Thanks for sharing the value of The Tanglewood Secrets! We haven't gotten there yet :) Looking forward to it!
Caryn
==============================================
dd9, ds8, and ds3 (Speech therapy and pre-k)
Pre-k (twice), K (twice), 1st (twice), Adventures, ECC and currently CtG
My blog: Considering Wildflowers

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 am

Thanks for sharing! We are just finishing Treasures of the Snow and have now read all 3 of the books that came with CTG deluxe! I LOVE these stories. They have been wonderful - as were all the missionary stories we read last year in ECC. I have to say that the book selections MFW chose for have been tender, thought-provoking, and possibly life-changing for my children. In addition to our daily reading from the bible, the way these books open their hearts and minds for discussion have been so amazing. These are gifted writers with a true talent for sharing the message of Christ in a way that holds the attention of young readers (and their younger / older sibs listening in) and helps them understand our role as christians better.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

chefgirl96

Unread post by chefgirl96 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 am

We have read the Tanglewood Secrets, The Star of Light, and are now 3/4 of the way through Treasures of the Snow. I am probably going to order 2 other of Patricia St. Johns books from amazon! They are so fabulous. We have been using them as family read-alouds around the dinner table and even my four year old son will ask to read "the Terry book" as he calls all of them. What sweet time of family fellowship we have had over these books. I recommend them to anyone who will listen...
Rebecca - Joyfully married for 13 years
DD(11.5), DD (8.5), DS (5.5), a beautiful baby DD & two babes in Heaven
Currently using: RTR
Previously used Adventures, ECC, CtG, and K; Former HOD user

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Oh you are so right. We just finished chapter 17 and are looking forward to completing Tanglewood tomorrow (we are so way behind so we are doing 2-4 chapters a day!).. Im so glad we kept reading this one.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:13 pm

We just finished "Treasures of the Snow" today! We are only on week 16 but the kids kept asking me, ok begging me to 'read just one more chapter, Mom'. I agree with everyone, they were all wonderful books.

I just requested the DVD from Netflix. I'm sure we'll be disapointed as movies never seem to do the books justice but they're still fun to 'compair'.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:20 pm

jasntas wrote:I just requested the DVD from Netflix. I'm sure we'll be disapointed as movies never seem to do the books justice but they're still fun to 'compair'.
I keep telling my dd that I watched that movie when I was a kid and just loved it! We're finishing the book early, too. It's just so good.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL