Schedule - How long is your day in CTG?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
SandKsmama

Schedule - How long is your day in CTG?

Unread post by SandKsmama » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Time - Compare CTG to ECC
zook5 wrote:Hi,
Im intrested in hearing how long your school day is with CTG. I had heard each year takes a little more time, but our days are actually shorter this year than last with ECC. We did change math, maybe thats the difference.
Thanks,
Danita
Our days were about the same in CTG as in ECC, and they are *slightly* longer this year with RTR, but not a whole lot longer. However, we've changed math and language arts every year:-), so I can't really judge whether everything else is shorter/longer, etc.
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Don't know how closely you follow the TM, but in the TM the days are actually listed for slightly less time in CTG than ECC, but only by about 5 min's. We start CTG officially this Mon so I can't give you idea of how it actually plays out in real life on average. Of course, what's average? :) I have yet to figure that one out at my house. Anyway, HTH.
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

Dannielle

Unread post by Dannielle » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:36 am

We are starting our seventh week of CTG and I have found that our days are a little longer. Alot depends on how fast he works. And I think its just taking him awhile to get adjusted to starting back to school.
Dannielle, NC

Nicholas (15), Brandon (10), Jude (4)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:48 pm

The length of our day in CTG depended a lot on how much we did in the evening. When we were doing Bible and read-alouds in the evening, the day was shortened by quite a bit. But I don't remember thinking it was shorter than ECC!

If your day seems a bit too short or too long, I would break it down & see where you are spending a lot of time. I think that often it is math and language arts that make the difference.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

lyntley

Length of time for CTG

Unread post by lyntley » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:13 pm

LA in Baltimore wrote:We'll be heading into CTG next year (I know, I'm thinking early, but the children are happily painting their Indian Vests so I had time to type!) and I wanted some feedback about how long the Deluxe Progam would take.

I'll have a high schooler (who I meet with about 1 hour each day - and I will continue to do that next year) going into Ancient History/Lit and I'll have my other 3 (they'll be ages 11, 10, and 9) in CTG.

Here's some details...
*We usually start each day by 8:30.
*Break for lunch from 12-1:30 (it is a little long because they all take a turn preparing lunches now).
*Then, pick up from there with my high schooler. Right now the younger three are done with book work and only have typing, instrument, and DEAR (drop everything and read) time.
*We are out on Tuesday mornings at Bible Study from about 9-12.

I'd appreciate some time frames as well as ways your families have set up your days. What should I be expecting? Thanks,
--LA in Baltimore--
We often get done in 3 hours or less (if there's no dawdling). I'm not counting our afternoon read aloud time and the kiddies both read individually in bed time (Your DEAR time)
Lynnette: Wife and Mother by the will of God.
ECC 07/08 with 9,7, and 2
CTG 08/09 with 10,8, and 3
www.homeschoolblogger.com/lyntley

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:34 pm

We did CTG 4 days a week (combining Days 4 and 5 since day 5 is usually light), b/c we have Bible study one day a week. (This was our second year homeschooling, and I was only doing it with one child, 10 years old, but I was also doing MFW 1st grade with a 5.5 year old.) We definitely could get everything done in 3-4 hours, which included the Deluxe package and all core subjects.

For what it's worth, we still get everything done in 3-4 hours, and that includes doing K with a 5 year old, and doing Exploration to 1850 with an almost-8 year old and 12 year old (Deluxe package + all core subjects).

Generally, since I have always had a little person to school - my oldest would start with her core subjects that she could do independently while I did school with the little one. Then when I'm done with the little one, I did the history/Bible science with the older. Pretty much I start with Bible and move down the grid (leaving out the "core" things that are already done) until we're done.

Time frames:
I'd say that right now math takes my 12 year old 15 minutes at the most.
English - 15-30 minutes
Latin - 10 minutes
Art - 10 minutes
Writing - 10-20 minutes.
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:50 am

I have a 9yo, 7 and almost 6yo in school this year. CTG (combined with 1st grade) is taking us about 3½-4 hours, occasionally an extra half hour to complete heavier assignments.
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

Julie in MN

Help analyzing why we're NOT done in 3-4 hours

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:15 pm

blessedmom2 wrote:I was just reading on this board how most moms are saying they are done school in 3-4 hours. I am trying HARD to not be envious!!! We started school this am at 8, stopped around 12, had lunch, did chores from 1-1:30 and I am not even DONE...and then started school at 1:30. We still have science (experiments), art, leftover music from last week, then piano practice....It is 2 pm here.

Some days we are done in about 4.5 hours, other days it is 5.5 hours and that does not include read aloud time or piano practice. My kids do read before bed...that is the only time I can fit that in...but I have no idea how some of you add in things like Rosetta Stone or co-op.

I feel like everything is taking too long. I should be "better" at this by now as my kids are 8 and 10 and we have always homeschooled. I am getting burned out. Ideas? Thoughts?
Hello,
I think 4 hours for everything is reasonable, especially with 2 kids. If the art & music are difficult to get in, they can be optional. So that only leaves science. How to fit that into your 4 morning hours, 8-12? My first question is always what are you using for Language Arts & Math? Those can be time-intensive in some programs.
Julie

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 pm

I can tell you that we are done with the bulk of schooling by noon but my kids then still have piano, Rosetta Stone and some computer time (usually math games). They aren't totally done until 2:00 or so. We do read alouds in the evenings with Dad and sometimes we have to have an all day Science Sat with Dad.

We listen to Music while driving to piano, karate or dance. I think the older my kids get, the more time it takes but more of it is independent.

Some days are longer than others as I schedule Tue and Thur afternoons for other activities, appt and errands. Mon and Wed are long! Fridays we clean and then have the rest of the day off.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:51 pm

blessedmom2 wrote:Here is what we are using-
Spelling Power for both
R&S English
R&S math (we switched this year from Abeka)

I don't ever get to history or science until after lunch. It takes 4 hours to do -
Bible
Spelling
Vocab
English
Math
Book basket

I can cut back on art and music but still have to do them because our state requires them along with state history.
lots of thinking outside of the box here......

Can you describe how much writing you are doing in English from the Roots Up? Maybe there are ways to still use that program but not have them do all of the writing assigned?

I'm wondering if with the English that you are using if it is necessary to have to write all of the Bible memory verses either? Maybe they could just memorize it??

Can you start the day with history/Bible before moving into language arts and math?

They don't have to write a full science report either. Take some digital pictures of experiments and maybe only do write ups once in a while???

We almost always did read alouds before bedtime. So, we're alike in that matter :-) I've heard that some people will do the CTG Bible readings the night before the lesson. Just the reading.

I modified SP so it is usually 10 minutes. We eliminated the pre test step and just study the list. (gulp)

Math -- we use Singapore and that doesn't take as much time.

If you only did one art lesson per week, that would be ok. You could move it to Friday.

The classical music stuff -- put that one while doing some chores or making lunch, or driving around town to get groceries. They don't have to write a summary about the composer.

Rosetta Stone is done more as playtime over here (i.e. free time) over here. Even on weekends my oldest will get it out for fun. I decided that she can wait until 8th or 9th grade to worry about it for "credit".

not sure if anything there helps or not. You might consider having this week and next week to be a time to do just CTG and no language arts and math as a way to just get some recharge at this point in the year.

-crystal

blessedmom2

Unread post by blessedmom2 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:59 pm

"Can you describe how much writing you are doing in English from the Roots Up? Maybe there are ways to still use that program but not have them do all of the writing assigned? "

We just do it as the TM describes...they make a card...

"I'm wondering if with the English that you are using if it is necessary to have to write all of the Bible memory verses either? Maybe they could just memorize it?? "

We do not do the copywork for the verses.

"Can you start the day with history/Bible before moving into language arts and math? "

We start with Bible but yes, I could move history to the am.

"They don't have to write a full science report either. Take some digital pictures of experiments and maybe only do write ups once in a while??? "

Yes,we don't do them every time.

"I modified SP so it is usually 10 minutes. We eliminated the pre test step and just study the list. (gulp) "

Good idea. I may skip the SP Activity cards.

"If you only did one art lesson per week, that would be ok. You could move it to Friday. "

Yes, I just talked to DH about this and he does not think art is that important and is fine with me cutting back on this.

Thanks! You have a lot of good ideas.

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:04 pm

-we do bible during breakfast (I read scripture and Victor's to them while they eat.)
-science experiments are sometimes after school, occasionally during school (if they won't bog us down) and sometimes left for Dad on the weekend. And, honestly, sometimes they're skipped.
-Anything that can be completed as homework is assigned as such. Examples: spelling sentences, math (after my teaching part is done in class), history notebook pages, timeline.
-read alouds are always done during lunch.

*use a timer and allot a reasonable amount of time to each subject. Be sure to get your teaching part done within that time frame. Work to be completed by the student can be done during homework (and be positive with them about having homework; it IS, after all, a major part of college work for which they will need to be prepared to handle.)
*Be very aware of bunny trails and students getting off task. Draw everyone back in as soon as you realize either has occurred.
*Look ahead each day to the next. Do you see a particularly busy or heavy assignment? (ie. writing strands can suck up time.) If so, look for a way to break it up over several days. Then follow through and stay within the time allotted for these lessons.

And on particularly trying days, go through and eliminate unnecessaries (it's a small price to pay for sanity, lol.) Spelling, art, music, or even read alouds. Whatever you feel you must sacrifice. I don't do this regularly, but before I turn into Monster Mom, I *will* reach for the ax and begin to chop away until we have a manageable, brass tacks schedule for the remainder of the day. Again, be discerning as to when to do this if you decide to, but in the best interest of the big picture, I just occasionally feel it necessary.

Just what works for us. Glean what you may. ;)
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:34 pm

blessedmom2 wrote:Bible
Spelling
Vocab
English
Math
Book basket
This shouldn't take 4 hours. At the very MOST, on certain days, one hour on Bible, English, and Math, and then 15 minutes on book basket. But that would be very rare day that an 8 & 10 year old needed to spend 3-1/4 hours on those subjects.

You have some good ideas on whittling it down. I especially like Toni's suggestions about time limits, bunny trails, and eliminating until you get back on track. I'll throw out a few more. Maybe you can try some & report back on which subjects you still have trouble with?

- Mom has everything ready to go at 8 am, so there is no time spent getting anything. Also, bookmark pages in books, have pencils close at hand, etc.
- If math is taking up time, consider every-other-problem, doing problems orally, or skipping sections that are already mastered.
- Choose only one major written task per day. If they are writing the vocab card, then do English orally, etc.
- Lower the number of vocabulary words for the 8 year old to 1-2; consider writing the definition as he dictates; my son typed the sentences which went much faster.
- Read Bible at night with dad -- our family was very blessed by this in CTG (a suggestion I read in the teacher manual).

Just some more ideas.

niki

Unread post by niki » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:00 pm

We, like Toni, do Bible reading during breakfast a lot. Today I read/summarized Streams during lunch and we had a lovely discussion. I find my kids really like to discuss so much of what we read, and everyone has an idea or a statement that they want to share...whew...that takes a lot of time. Those types of day's we to are finishing around 1:30! You're not alone. This year in CTG we have put in many hours some days, but others we seem to be done by 11!?

Just wanted to send a ((HUG)) your way!
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

RB

Unread post by RB » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:48 pm

How about keeping a log for a few days to see exactly where the hours are going? I'm thinking about doing this for a week or so, too, to identify where we are losing time. In our house the major culprits seem to be the puppy, procrastinating or bad attitudes (by either the kids or me) and the computer (we do best when I don't turn it on until after lunch).
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:35 pm

You could try setting a specific amount of time for each subject and using the timer to stay on task. I bet you're "losing" little bits of time here and there that you don't even realize, such as bathroom breaks, getting a drink, dropping pencils, getting off topic, etc. Using a timer will make you very aware of where those places are.

That combined with keeping a log for a few days (as the pp suggested) will help you to realize how long it *really* takes to complete a subject, if there's no goofing off going on.

Meanwhile, a couple other suggestions I've tried are:

EFTRU -- I bought the cards to go with this. Actually, I already had them before we started with MFW, but didn't know what to do with them! MFW fixed that for me, LOL. So I have one dd using the book for her copywork, and the other dd using the cards to do hers at the same time. I only have the 10yo copy 3 words off the list, and write one sentence using *one* of the words. Oldest copies all the words and also writes one sentence. Sometimes we'll do more sentences orally and just talk about it. Writing (and making the cards) takes up a lot of time, so anything you can do orally is a bonus. Mostly I make sure they do *some* writing for the notebook, since we're supposed to have a portfolio in our state. We also use the cards as flashcards during our Bible & Memory Work time in the morning.

Activities -- Sometimes we have to save hands-on projects (notebooking, mapwork, science experiment, craft) until Friday or the weekend. Those are a lot more time consuming than just reading and discussing, too. So it depends on the day.

HTH. I'd just treat your school time like you would treat a $$ budget... look at what your greatest priorities are, where you're losing money unnecessarily (all those cappuccinos you, oops, I mean I, stop off and buy when I'm out and about), and what areas you can cut back while still getting the good nutrition (buying meat in bulk and dividing it up over several meals vs. paying the higher price for single-pound packages).
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Julie in MN

Daily Time for Creation to the Greeks

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:48 pm

abrightmom wrote:Could you all give me some ball park times for the daily work with CtG, NOT including the 3 R's (i.e. math, Writing Strands, English, or spelling)? I'm interested in general time blocks for Bible, History, Science, etc. We don't use Writing Strands, PLL/ILL, or Spelling Power. I would use the Classical Music studies and Read Alouds though we do another art program right now so we'd likely READ God and the History of Art for the art history but not do the lessons (they look wonderful though).

I am also interested in completing the 5 day week in 4 days if possible or we will have to allow our "school year" (what is that anyway in homeschooling?! :-) ) to run longer as I can devote 4 days a week to MFW.

Thanks. :)
Katrina,
Are you doing ECC now? I don't think there is much difference in time from ECC to CTG. But since it's been a while for me and my memory might be fading, I have some archives that were posted by various families when their memories were fresh:

Length of day http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4082
4 day week http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 926#p30926

HTH,
Julie

jhagberg

Re: Daily Time for Creation to the Greeks

Unread post by jhagberg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:21 pm

We are doing Creation to the Greeks right now, and it takes us about 90 minutes to do Bible, History and Science. We do the full week in 4 days, too.
Joyce

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:12 pm

We took about 90 minutes for those subjects, too.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks for the times. If I'm reading this correctly it sounds like a daily block of 90 minutes 4x a week is sufficient. =) This helps!!
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:56 pm

abrightmom wrote:Do the times increase with each guide? Does RTR take longer or is about the same amount of time for CONTENT year to year? I realize it is somewhat subjective day to day and week to week which is completely fine. I simply need a BALLPARK.....

We are joining Classical Conversations this year and I *think* MFW will really help me streamline and enjoy content with the kids (and it was originally the plan anyway). I may start with RTR rather than CtG for the sake of my oldest. We'll see. At this point I can't do the "ideal" sequence no matter what so I'm going to make the best choice with where we are at NOW. ;)
Katrina,

I would say that 1850MOD steps up in time - but then again, I have 3rd graders and a 7th grader, so I'm doing the 2nd/3rd grade supplement along with the 7th grader doing Saxon math and Apologia's General Science, so that's why it may feel that way :)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:01 pm

One thing to keep in mind, as Trish mentioned, is that *your* kids get older each year. You expect more writing etc. from a 6th grader than a 3rd grader, and often you even discuss more of your Biblical worldview and current events related to their studies as they get older. At my house, the same level would take different times depending on the age of my student (e.g. doing ECC with a 3rd grader vs. an 8th grader).

Julie

abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Good point. :)

After carefully evaluating the TOC in CtG it looks like we are jumping in at RTR. If all goes well we will cycle back to ECC and CtG with the rest of the crew in the coming years. I am going to pretend we have done everything "right" and just pick up wth where we would be if we had stayed the course after Adventures. :-) My oldest has had plenty of ancients this past year anyway... We are ready for the content of RTR!
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

jhagberg

activity log (Creation to the Greeks)

Unread post by jhagberg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Just for fun today my 4th grader kept a log of how long each activity took. I'll share it here just in case it might help someone:

Chapter Book, 35 min. (silent reading while Mom did ABC's with brother)
Cursive Writing, 20 min.
English, 15 min. (ILL oral lesson)
Word Ladders, 15 min. (extra workbook)
Spelling Power, 20 min.
Singapore Math, 30 min.
Bible, 30 min. (read story and draw picture for notebook)
Read-Aloud, 15 min.

Our actual "work time" was 3 hours, but we took two 10-minute breaks, so our total time was 8:25—11:45. We didn't have any science scheduled for today, so my boys got out "Mind-Blowing Science" and did an experiment just for fun. That took about 10-15 minutes, and then we ate lunch. It was a good day! :)

P.S. My K'r also did his workbooks at the table throughout the morning... I didn't show that on the log, but it happened. ;)
joyfulhomeschooler wrote:Does this include history? Or is that included in the Bible time?
Every day is slightly different... that day history was in our read-aloud and in Bible. Some days we have another book or two that we look at as well. :-)
Joyce

Julie in MN

Re: activity log (Creation to the Greeks)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:38 pm

That is such a cool idea! And very useful for your children in their future studies, to be able to take account of where their time is spent. Also may come in handy for the many folks who wonder...
Julie