Schedule - Some users like to make a tentative daily plan

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Jenn in NC

Schedule - Some users like to make a tentative daily plan

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:09 am

I am trying to get into the swing of things with CTG and I have a basic schedule... I am going to post it here so you guys can poke holes all in it and tell me what isn't going to work :)

8: 45 (Right after breakfast and AM chores and other inevitable morning mishaps) Olders do Bible then all three LA subjects -- First Task, Spelling, English; Littles are with me quietly listening during Bible and then playing school -- coloring etc -- while I am helping Olders with LA stuff

10:00 Break for running/playing etc (sometimes maybe some sort of more formal Phys Ed something or other -- anyone ever used anything good?) and a snack

10:30 Math for olders, me available if they need it (they are both pretty independent now -- woohoo!); MFW 1st for Middle; Littles have short room time, then play with an Older for a bit while I finish up with Middle...

11:30 History with everyone present (not sure about my Littles at this point -- they may sabotage my plans here)

12:00 Book Basket for olders, Littles with me to "help" me get lunch on the table, after lunch another play break for all

1:00 Littles napping, Olders: Science, Reading, Rosetta Stone, Art and Music. Boy that looks like a lot in the afternoon doesn't it. Hmmm.

What do you all think? I need to be fixing dinner by 3:30 or 4:00. Does this look doable?
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

mrs_mike98

Unread post by mrs_mike98 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:13 am

I think it looks pretty good.

Trying to fit everything in during naptime really isn't all that hard - we do that on Tuesdays/Thursdays. The littles nap from 1-3, so the two olders and I do Math, Science, History, and Art and have plenty of time left over usually. We only do Rosetta Stone M/W/F, they do that independantly while I run on the treadmill during naptime.

On Monday and Wednesday they do Math and Rosetta Stone during naptime. I do History, Science, and Art while the littles are awake. Its not my favorite, but its managable. My 2 yr old just plays with blocks while I read, or colors while the big kids do their notebooks, and pretends he's doing Art with the rest of us during Art ;-) Math I always do during naptime, its just easier that way.

For a phys ed type thing, they came up with their own idea - they run laps around our yard (we have a decent sized yard) - 1 lap for each year of age, more if they want. Then they spend the remaining time playing. So they're getting some exercise and also some free fun time.

Of course, we're only doing K and Adventures right now, I'm sure CTG is a bit of a heavier course load. Any catch-up we ever need to do we do in the afternoons or on our light Fridays. ;-)

HTH some! I always do a week trial run of any new routine to see if it seems to fit and where it needs to be tweaked.
Erin, blessed mama to 5 boys :-)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:21 am

Agreeing with Erin --- just try it for a week and then tweak. :)

*When you hit roadblocks in the plan, then come back and ask how to adjust based on what isn't working. Someone will almost always have a been there done that solution.

*some days it will work and other days will have mishaps. Sometimes it means a major change and other times it just means it was a bad day. [hug}

ok... to help “poke holes in the plan”.

Phy ed: I've never used a formal Phys Ed program. I looked a few of them. They were written from perspective of group school gym teachers and it was just not going to apply to our family. Might have worked in a co-op setting. So, I tend to focus on letting them play outside, and play with balls, frisbees, swing set, sand box, jump rope, go ride your bike or scooter --- very informal approach. I stopped looking for a formal homeschool Phys Ed program. I wonder what's out there these days???

History: hmmmm... if the little ones interfere with your plans, then look to the reason why it is happening. That might help with the approach to the solution. Is it because they will have just come out of their rooms after being away from everyone else and need your time? Are they hungry at 11:30 instead of noon? Then plan for that. Maybe lunch prep will have to be at 11:30 and everyone can be listening to the Music time in CTG or older doing Rosetta Stone or book basket during that time. But you won’t know until you try.

Or who knows... it may not happen that way and it might work just fine to have them in the room with your history reading.

-crystal

Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:45 am

cbollin wrote:I stopped looking for a formal homeschool Phys Ed program. I wonder what's out there these days???
I don't know but I don't have the energy to find out and sift through it all. I like Erin's idea though!! Kids -- go outside and run around. There. Phys Ed done for the day. I wish my kids could do scooters/bikes and all. Where we live that doesn't work out so well.

Is it because they will have just come out of their rooms after being away from everyone else and need your time? Are they hungry at 11:30
Yes these are very likely possibilities. They won't be in their rooms anymore at that point, they will have been playing one on one with an older brother, but they are still likely to want some mommy time now. I was a little wishy-washy on that part of the schedule anyway and you are confirming my first thought -- my littles will need me then.

But Erin thinks a lot can be fit in during nap times so maybe I can add history to afternoons. That might work.

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:50 am

Your schedule looks quite a bit like mine. I've found however that everyday takes it's own turns. And everyday schedule seems to be a bit different as well. I totally depend on 2 hour nap time for the things that are just not happening with the munchkin being present. Sometimes we start out with bible and have to postpone it. Sometimes when munchkin is occupying herself quietly I can sneak in something that was planned for later and we get through the schedule more quickly. Sometimes everyone seems a bit nutty and unfocused and we save it for another day all together. Another really great time for us is Lunch. I like to sneak a book in while they all are sitting at the table with food in their mouths. Usually a book basket book. This seems to really help with the little noise maker 7YO...
Regarding PE I think it's only requirement is really that that kiddies aren't vegged out in front of the TV or Computer. My kiddies Play on and Upward Soccer league during season but when that's done they are always outside running around, riding bikes, climbing trees, We hike as a family, and there are always the 2 flights of stairs to put the laundry away... If you are interested in some sports I highly reccommend Upward leagues They are Christian organization and have been really wonderful. You can google them to find their sight for more info on one in your area.
Lynnette: Wife and Mother by the will of God.
ECC 07/08 with 9,7, and 2
CTG 08/09 with 10,8, and 3
www.homeschoolblogger.com/lyntley

mgardenh

PE

Unread post by mgardenh » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:04 pm

Hello,
THe homeshcooling dad here. Just wanted to make a suggestion on the pe front. I use the "Home School Family Fitness" By Bruce Whitney. A homeschooling family. Not everything in it is practical but it has great indoor and outdoor games. I am not good at coming up with theses so I use this book for it. It has a whole PE curriculum, from fitness charting to labs to how to play all the basic sports. You could probably google the title to get it. The website in the book is www.hsffi.com

Again I use it to help get my children to play and it gives good fitness for them.

Mike

Dad to two wonderful children Julia and ALexis

Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:07 am

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to look it over and give me your thoughts. I will let you know how it is going after a week or two of tweaking! ;)
Is it because they will have just come out of their rooms after being away from everyone else and need your time? Are they hungry at 11:30
Yes these are very likely possibilities. They won't be in their rooms anymore at that point, they will have been playing one on one with an older brother, but they are still likely to want some mommy time now. I was a little wishy-washy on that part of the schedule anyway and you are confirming my first thought -- my littles will need me then.

But Erin thinks a lot can be fit in during nap times so maybe I can add history to afternoons. That might work.

GoodCat

Unread post by GoodCat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:40 pm

wlwest wrote:Hi. This will be our 2nd year with MFW. I'm trying to figure out how to schedule our day. I had a hard time deciding whether to continue homeschooling, and the kids wanted to keep doing it! So, with the 2 little ones, I just really need more order this year. AND, to make it harder, we have a basement, which is finished, so we have most of our school stuff down there, and play stuff, etc. But, sometimes the little kids need to be up here, I'm thinking maybe starting our morning off up here (upstairs) with math and lang arts. Then moving downstairs for the rest of school? Any advice? I'm the kind of person who really hates alot of choices, as you can see.
We just finished up CtG and this is what we did.

We did the Bible reading at night with Daddy. This was really great and it helped free up some time in the morning :)

After breakfast, we would go into the living room and do our History reading and science.

Then we go downstairs to our basement/school room and the children do their Math, Language, and Spelling.

While the older dc are doing their own work, I work with my K-er. After lunch or while I'm nursing my little one, we'll do read-a-louds and reading.

Then we do art or music when we can.

We are usually done by 2:00. I hope some of this encourages you. Just work with your schedule to fit your families needs. Its hard with little ones but not impossible. And like you said... they will keep getting older and it will get easier.

Blessings,
Cathy
Wife to Sean, a wonderful man for 13 yrs., mother to 6 beautiful children- 12dd, 11ds, 9ds, 7dd, 5dd, 2dd.
Used Abeka for 5 years.
Used ECC and MFW1 (and loved it)
Used CtG (and loved it : )
Using RtR (and loving it!!)

Jami

Schedule Help

Unread post by Jami » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:40 pm

davidmendez5 wrote:We are doing Creations this year with 1st, 2nd, 5th, and a 2 and 4 year old. I wrote down a schedule to do group work in the morning and individual work during nap. Or does reverse does better? Not sure about when to do 1st though. Then I saw Marie's sample schedule in EC&Cs and thought that looked good too. I would like to be done early but am I being unrealistic with so many younger kids? Please share your schedule if you don't mind, I would be so greatful.
Filitsa
We are doing CTG with 2nd and 4th grader and Kindy as well.

We are a little different in that we only school during my girls' afternoon nap and take no breaks so we can get it all done in that two to three hours, usually around two hours. My kids don't have difficulty in sitting and working that long though, so it works for us.

First I set my older boys with their independent stuff like math, writing, english (sometimes), any copywork for the day (Bible verse), and spelling for my 2nd grader. I explain what needs to be done and then I start working with my kindy son. If the older boys need help with anything, I try to do that when my kindy guy is working on a worksheet or something independently. If there is something in kinder that needs to be done away from the table (science stuff), we do it then if the older boys are still working or wait until the end of the school hours and do it then with the older boys' science. If there is anything that my older kids would want to do also (painting,etc), we do that once we're done with CTG stuff as well.

Once my older kids finish with their independent stuff, we start from the top of the weekly schedule in the book and go through what is left. If there is something that my 4th grader finishes before my 2nd grader does (Bible summaries, etc), my 4th grader colors or draws or just sits there.

So this is what our schedule looks like most days but I'm pretty flexible with it...

*Kindy work while older boys do handwriting, spelling (2nd grader), english (if it's an independent lesson), and math
*Kinder guy goes and plays or colors or whatever he wants
*Memory Work/Bible
*History and Notebook
*Spelling (4th grader)
*English
*Art/Music
*Read Aloud
*Science
*Kinder Activities (sometimes)
*Snack

Like I said, this works for my kids usually. They get to play all morning and the rest of the day once school is done and that works as a good inventive to get it done I guess.
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

TriciaMR

Re: Schedule Help

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Filitsa,

Last year I did CTG and a different K. There were some days we got done by noon, but that was only if we started by 8:15.

When my boys were little, I would do group stuff when they were awake, and then use nap/quiet time of my boys for stuff that my dd needs lots of concentration (spelling, math).

I think it varies year to year, and it may take a couple of weeks for you to figure out what works best with your family. Pray and ask for God's wisdom.

I do think it is a little unrealistic, with so many little ones, to be done in 4 hours. I'm sure changing diapers, cleaning up bathroom messes, etc. takes up time.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: Schedule Help

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:19 am

Filitsa,
You probably have more experience than I do, but I can share some links by other moms of many:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1003 (general scheduling)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2713 (1st and an older program)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3671 (preschool and olders)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1336 (preschool and 1st)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1011 (large families)

Hopefully some of the ideas will work for you!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs