GHA - (God and the History of Art) - Overview & Experiences

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Marie

GHA - (God and the History of Art) - Overview & Experiences

Unread post by Marie » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:08 pm

Lori wrote:Has anyone used this book? What is it like? Does it include Charlotte Mason's concept of picture study? I want to do picture study with my children. It would be great if it was already planned for me.
Lori
Author: Marie Hazell
Date: 5/3/2004

God and the History of Art comes with a set of beautiful full-color postcard size reproductions of famous art prints. These are used in a number of ways to teach students to look more closely at art. The program is recommended for age 10+ but younger children can often use it with help. Our 8 year-old Sonja studied the Mona Lisa one day in art. Unknown to me, in her free time that afternoon, she decided to sketch it. The next day, a gorgeous Mona Lisa reproduction, complete with mysterious smile, was posted on our fridge.

Rather than focusing on three artists a year, this program is linked to history. When you study Egypt in history, you are learning about and doing Egyptian style art. When you study Greece, you learn about Greek vases. etc.

What a treasure! A four-year art history program with easy-to teach art lessons from a Christian perspective. The 250 lessons will be integrated with all four of our history years, and lessons are even scheduled for you in our lesson plans. Each lesson includes art history information as well as a drawing or painting lesson.

Paula J

It's wonderful

Unread post by Paula J » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:50 pm

I have seen so many posts of people wondering whether God and the History of Art is worth ordering. Well, we are almost finished with our 2nd week of CtG and just finished lesson 4 in this book. I just have to say, it's wonderful. It gives short easy lessons that are great for teaching drawing. My ds has never liked art, he didn't even like coloring books when he was little. Every year we start our with an art curriculum and he complained continuously and after a few lessons art always went by the wayside. This year he is enjoying art and hasn't complained at all. I have even caught him practicing the drawing techniques when he wasn't doing school:-) I have been doing the lessons as well and he loves to compare work and if we have less than perfect results with a technique we just laugh at ourselves. I would definitely recommend it.
Blessings
Paula

Wife to Jack and mom to

12 yo ds using mfw CtG

17 yo dd public school senior in the fall

22 yo ds autistic and hanging out here with mom

GoodCat

Unread post by GoodCat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:42 pm

I have to agree. We just finished our year of CtG and we love GATHOA. I even did it with a 6dd, 8ds, 10ds, and 11dd. The little ones did just fine. It was challenging at times but they learned a lot. I would definately recommend it to anyone!!

Cathy
Wife to Sean, a wonderful man for 13 yrs., mother to 6 beautiful children- 12dd, 11ds, 9ds, 7dd, 5dd, 2dd.
Used Abeka for 5 years.
Used ECC and MFW1 (and loved it)
Used CtG (and loved it : )
Using RtR (and loving it!!)

cbollin

Do you need both volume

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:55 am

momrandles wrote: Do you need both volumes for all 4 years? How many lessons does the book MFW recommends contain?

Thanks again for all your time....getting excited about CTG already!!!!
Yes, both books are used over the 4 years. All lessons are covered except for the quizzes/tests. The very last lessons that are labeled as Independent Studies are scheduled as optional at the very end of 1850-MOD.

-crystal

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:28 am

TurnOurHearts wrote:I am SO excited to use GatHoA, but I'm also a bit nervous!! :) I don't want to do anything that will squelch my kids' love of art (though I don't really think that would happen). Also, not having used the other previous art programs, I'm wondering if we'll hit any walls in knowledge of techniques, different mediums, etc.

For those of you who've used GatHoA, was there anything in particular that you needed from I Can Do All Things? Are there any pitfalls I should avoid in my presentation? Any and all ideas are most welcome!!
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi Paige,
Connor has used GHofA for two years and I would say that it is difficult but well worth the effort. He's not a huge fan of drawing so I've had to simplify some of the projects but it's been well worth it for the art history.

We went to DC this spring and spent an afternoon in the National Gallery of Art and I was so impressed with how much the kids and Connor especially knew about art. We had a docent comment that he had never seen kids understand so much about art and art history. I had to admit that I knew nothing about art but that we had a great curriculum that taught it.

So, in our experience we have had to struggle in the actual art projects so have made a point of not being perfectionists but to understand the concept behind the projects and simplify to avoid melt-downs.

I'm not familiar personally with DWN as we have done ICDAT but I would assume the basics are the same. How to draw lines, horizons, elipses, circles, shading etc. The twins start GHofA this fall and they like art better than Connor so it will be interesting to see the difference.

GoodCat

Unread post by GoodCat » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:31 am

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Just adding my experience. This was the first year we used GATHOA in CtG. I did it with (at the time) 11dd, 10ds, 8ds, and 6dd. They all really enjoy art. It is now their favorite part of school. Even my 6 dd could do some or most of what they asked for. It stretches them but we aren't trying to be perfect and so they are relaxed to just do their best.
I have been really happy with GATHOA. And I have to say that I was a little intimidated with it at first, but once we started doing it, we all really like it!!

I actually bought myself a set and I do do it with them. I've been learning too. One of the perks of homeschooling :)
Cathy

dhudson

We are in CTG and I find myself often wishing I had this

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:01 pm

niki wrote:Can someone share with me their experience with this program. We are in CTG and I find myself often wishing I had this for my kids...ages 8 and 10. I'm thinking maybe it'll be a Christmas present...?

Any sharing or thoughts would be super!
We love it here. I use it with a 10yr old and twin 7yr olds. At times the art can be difficult but I work with them and just have them do their best. I love the history of art and the art appreciation that is included. As a matter of fact, we went to D.C. and my kids favorite museum was the Art Museum because of their understanding of art. One of the curators mentioned how surprised they were at how much our kids understood about art and I have to fully give all the credit to the program. I know nothing about art except what I have also learned.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Amy in NC

Unread post by Amy in NC » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:46 pm

Love, Love, Love it. It flows with the history so well. I would miss it immensely if someone came and took it away. My girls (8 & 10) struggle with the art lessons at times, but I just want them to try. I'm sure they will grow with it over the years. But it was wonderful during the Egypt weeks. We drew hieroglyphs, Egyptian art, pyramid puzzles, etc. Right now we're learning about the color wheel. So it's always something different. I can't wait to see their art portfolios at the end of the 4 years.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:02 pm

You know, GHA has been a strong part of our history education. I would even say it's part of our "worldview" education. Art is definitely a glimpse into the values and concerns of the times.

In EX1850, ds has become very familiar with some of the great works of art, such as the Mona Lisa. Later, we saw how the Rococo period of art reflected the silly excesses of folks like Marie Antoinette. The book started us conversing about whether "perfect art" reflected God or was human-focused.

And there's been some fun stuff, such as the page on the artist who did the George Washington that's on the quarter :o)

As far as the actual drawing & painting, my son has never gotten into the actual art part of the program. I always read the lessons but often give him a choice of doing the art part or doing something else.

So even from someone who hasn't really used many of the actual drawing & painting lessons, I feel the book is of great value.

P.S. The art postcards are excellent.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:52 am

We got it. However, when I looked it over, I decided it would be too tedious for my 9yo at this time. I want her to get the most from it, which I believe means using it when she is better able to enjoy and learn from the content. So, we're holding off until at least next year.
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:06 pm

We used it for the 4 years and even though we did not do every lesson are all of the art lessons, we all learned so much from it. I just never realized how much art reflected the present culture and views of the world in that time in history. It makes since, I just never made the connection until we studied it right along with the history lessons. Great resource worth using!

Also, I found that my kids enjoy art museums much more than I ever did at their ages(and even when they were younger). They have some knowledge base to look at art from so this makes it more interesting for them and helps them to engage more with the art I think.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

niki

Unread post by niki » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:12 am

I cannot thank you all enough for your responses. It's just what I needed to hear, and kinda what I thought anyway. Sad I didn't start it sooner, but planning on finishing the year with it....
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

karlafoisy

God and the History of Art

Unread post by karlafoisy » Tue May 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Hello,
I am passionate about art curriculum and have almost always switched art curriculum (or added to it) when I use MFW curriculum, because I find that MFW art curriculum alone doesn't usually keep my kids attention. I want them to be as passionate as I am, so I use art items that they enjoy.
With that said, I am wondering about the Art History book for Creation to the Greeks. What does it cover? What are the activities like? What do the kids learn? Are there lessons that develop artistic skill or more just art history? If anyone could even scan a typical page, so I could see what they look like, that would be very helpful.
THanks.
Karla

Julie in MN

God and the History of Art - for art family

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 am

karlafoisy wrote:Hello,
I am passionate about art curriculum and have almost always switched art curriculum (or added to it) when I use MFW curriculum, because I find that MFW art curriculum alone doesn't usually keep my kids attention. I want them to be as passionate as I am, so I use art items that they enjoy.

With that said, I am wondering about the Art History book for Creation to the Greeks. What does it cover? What are the activities like? What do the kids learn? Are there lessons that develop artistic skill or more just art history? If anyone could even scan a typical page, so I could see what they look like, that would be very helpful.
THanks.
Karla
Karla,
You can find sample pages at ChristianBook.com

Barry Stebbing is the same author as the art book used in Adventures - I Can Do All Things - so it will be a similar style of art instruction. It starts from the very basics, with lines (and for painting, it starts with mixing colors to try to match the colors used by the artists on the postcards).

I do personally think it's a worthwhile investment just for 4 years of art history. I remember my son learning that Egyptian art had all the same feet pointing in the same direction, and they didn't sign their work because the intention was not to create anything new. And I remember him learning about pieces well-known in our culture like the Mona Lisa (I even had him listen to the Mona Lisa song on YouTube so he'd realize these are pieces everyone knows :) ). And I remember him learning about who drew the George Washington that's on the nickle, the farmer with the pitchfork, and Audubon's birds.

It isn't fancy but it has good coverage, including some postcards to compare styles in later years.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: God and the History of Art

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu May 08, 2014 3:01 pm

I paint for relaxation and fun. My dd takes art classes. But we read the lessons that have to do with Art History because they are very applicable for the time period we are studying. It's worth it to me because the set is used over 4 years, and we do find some of the art materials and lessons useful. But if you're really into art already, I think you would just use it as a history book.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL