GHA - Is this drawing or art appreciation?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Lucy

GHA - Is this drawing or art appreciation?

Unread post by Lucy »

Nancy wrote:We're going to do CTG next year, and I'm wondering about the art book. Is this and actual learn to draw, paint...course, or is this an art appreciation course, or both?

I'll have a 10 and 8 yo doing CTG next year, and I'm trying to decide whether to get the basic or deluxe pkg. We already have the "I can do all things" art course from the same company that teaches drawing/painting... I'm thinking that "God and the History of art" might be too advanced for next year???
It really is a mix of both. I would go ahead and get it even if you do not do all the art lessons but just read the history part and do some of the lessons that particularly address say Egyptian art. I am not an artist or an art teacher but have found it to be a great program to give my kids the basics and relate it to the history we are doing. I just never realized how much art tells the story of history. It is used in all 4 years of history so even if you do not use it a lot this year you can pick it up more in the next 3. It is all planned out in the T.M. for you too. It seems expensive until you divide it by 4 years and then it is very economical. You may only use it with your 10 year old this year and let your 8 year old sit in when interested or abbreviate a reading for him by telling a few interesting facts. I do that now sometimes even with my 11 and 9 year old. It comes with picture cards of art examples and with paint cards that my kids really like. That is their favorite part of the program-mixing colors and painting on the cards.

I really questioned if I should buy it too when we started CTG and decided to give it a try. I did not use it as much in CTG and have really tried to use it this year more and have been glad that I got it and stuck with it.

Lucy
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

JoyfulDancer wrote:This year we will be doing CTG and K/1st. I have a 10yo, 8yo and going-on-6yo, plus will have a new baby. The catalog says (or I read somewhere...) that GatHoA is good for 10yo and up. Should I use that for both girls, or something easier and wait until the others catch up? We have one of the other art books for kids that I could use. Also I'd like to work in the Drawing with Children lessons once we get to those.
Thanks,
Laurie
Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:55 am

I look at GHA as two separate things - history & drawing lessons. Even if you discontinue the drawing part for the younger ones, I encourage you to include all the kids in some of the history. It really has added to our understanding of different cultures.
baileymom

Re: Art planning questions

Unread post by baileymom »

NakiainNC wrote:Hi! I am planning to do CtG in the fall with my then 4th grader. We are probably going to do a co-op in the fall. One of the other co-op classes is art. It does included art history along with hands-on art. A professional artist is teaching, so I know it will be a GREAT class!! Do I still need to do God and the History of Art at home?

Thanks so much for your advice!!
GATHOA, is neat because it ties the history (sometimes the actual history you're learning about that week) in. But, I don't think you would lose the CTGness by not doing it. I think I'd go with co-op on that too, with what you're saying it would involve.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1
cbollin

Re: Science and art planning questions

Unread post by cbollin »

Without knowing exactly what it is that the co-op is doing in art, I have the following .02 about it:

If you drop God and the history of art at home, then you are dropping a part of the overall worldview that is developed from that book. Just because the co-op class has "art history", it may or may not be integrated with worldview and world history. You'll want to check on that. Will it be art history in that classical chronological feel with it? Or will it be do totally separately from the chronological history. Does that matter to you?

However, God and the History of Art is from the deluxe package, and therefore optional. But it is art, art history, and worldview in there too. Granted, I wasn't super diligent with the book all the time either over using it 4 years.

-crystal
Julie in MN

Re: Science and art planning questions

Unread post by Julie in MN »

You *can* just do bits of GHA, such as reading about things like Egyptian art striving to be all the same, and how Christians can look at nudity in Greek art. You could do an occasional history-related project (draw the egyptian guy on the grid). You don't have to do all of the reading or all of the actual drawing lessons in order to get something out of the book. Depends on your time. Like Crystal said, deluxe is optional.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs