Books - Streams & Victor's with younger grades (author reply

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
jasntas

Re: Child's History instead of Streams for littles using Cto

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:10 pm

So far Streams has worked fine for us. (I have a 2nd and 5th grader). Like Crystal stated, it is scheduled in small bites. I will usually skip the parts that are listed as advanced unless the kids have shown a particular interest in the topic being covered.

I would think the it might be more work than it's worth to try to match up the topics. That is, unless you would enjoy doing that. ;) :)

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 am

cbollin wrote:If Streams is too hard for him, the book can be skipped without the need to replace it. An 8 y.o in CTG will be fine with Bible, and the activity books in the package in my opinion.
I agree...my 1st grader sits in with our CTG bible, history, etc. but she usually drifts off into a lump of play-doh or legos during the times my 10 yr old and I dig into Streams....sometimes I just enjoy reading it myself. I actually get a lot out of it, but sometimes I do paraphrase as recommended.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Caryn

Unread post by Caryn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Thanks for those tips, ladies! Maybe we should just give it a bash :)

LOL @ Tammie. Umm, no thanks ;) Not more work.

I've realized how important the visual is. I put him onto a computer-based reading program and he's suddenly reading!

Thing is, I'm doing CtG with my 10 yr old (advanced) dd too. So, I can either just let him not do it, and do it with her, or whether to use something that I can do with them both together.

Still waiting for the curriculum so when it' arrives I guess I can just look at it and figure out what to do :)
Caryn
==============================================
dd9, ds8, and ds3 (Speech therapy and pre-k)
Pre-k (twice), K (twice), 1st (twice), Adventures, ECC and currently CtG
My blog: Considering Wildflowers

rebeccal2002

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Caryn wrote:That being said, has anyone used A Child's History of the World with C to G?
Hi, we've used Sonlight and I've read Child's History to my kids. Part of me wishes I hadn't, but it was what Sonlight provided as a spine in their History so I plodded through it. I haven't used it with C to G though. I thought that the beginning of the book is just crazy with how he explains how the world began.

After those first few chapters I think he did an adequate job of trying to explain history on a basic level. He tries to explain why there were wars, what started them, that is, and what the end result was (ruler change, political border change.) He doesn't seem to have a biblical world view. From what I recall, seems that he views all religions as "equal" and sometimes even put Christianity in a bad light and other religions as actually "peaceful." I'd give my own commentary when we came up to a part that I didn't agree with.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, just thought I'd chime in. I'm sure you could use it, but I wouldn't just read it thinking everything in that book is "true." I just reread my post and I hope that I don't offend, just trying to give a little review of the book.

We read books all the time over here that aren't "perfect." :)
Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:03 am

Hi Caryn,

Streams of Civilizations is the only book that MFW has found, outside the Bible, that gives good additional information on this time period from a Biblical Worldview. As the other ladies have said you do not need to read this book directly to your students. It is meant to be used a resource for parents to learn more about this time period and then as you are reading the other books interject some of the information that stood out to you as you were reading it and that you find appropriate. This is a time period that most of us do not have a good grounding in and Streams makes a great resource for helping us, as parents, to have a better understanding about it so we can in turn pass on some of the information to our children.It helps us to make connections between Biblical history and with concurrent secular history, even if our children are not ready to make those connections yet. The T.M. will ask you to show a picture to the students that is relevant to the days study occasionally, so watch for these since even if you are not reading the information you will want to point out the picture.

Remember too that this time period will be studied again by 2nd and 3rd graders in 7th or 8th grade and at a more in-depth level during the first year of our high school program.

No need to add anything else to your year. You will find as the others have mentioned that even without this book you will find it a good overview of the time period for your children.

I really enjoyed using this with my family and I did even read portions of it to my kids some days. There was so much great information in this book. I knew that they would return to study this time period again and would be able to learn some more details later, so I did not worry too much about them knowing all of this information. Sometimes I would simply mention something as an interesting fact after another reading.

If you have further questions, please feel free to also call me at the MFW office at 573-426-4600.

Blessings,
Lucy

Caryn

Unread post by Caryn » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Lucy Robertson wrote:It is meant to be used a resource for parents to learn more about this time period and then as you are reading the other books interject some of the information that stood out to you as you were reading it and that you find appropriate.
OH!!! Well that explains a lot then! LOL! Thanks, Lucy - appreciate your input :) It definitely helps with understanding how to plan it all out for kids of different abilities, and at this age level. Seriously, I don't think I've ever come across an "issue" with MFW that doesn't have a logical explanation to resolve it!

Rebecca, thanks for your input. I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the forewarning.
Caryn
==============================================
dd9, ds8, and ds3 (Speech therapy and pre-k)
Pre-k (twice), K (twice), 1st (twice), Adventures, ECC and currently CtG
My blog: Considering Wildflowers

my3sons

CTG & Mystery of History

Unread post by my3sons » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 pm

tiffany wrote:Getting ready to go back through CTG for the 2nd time. Wanted to explore some alternatives to Streams of Civilization. Anyone out there use the text only from Mystery of History to sub in for SOC? Wanted to know how that worked (or didn't) for someone else. Thanks!
I used MOH as a supplement in RTR and it worked well. I still used SOC as the spine though. Sometimes I read it to them, sometimes I assigned the appropriate reading for Book Basket. I did find someone had made a schedule matching MOH lessons corresponding to MFW lessons for RTR. Maybe there is one out there for CTG as well?
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times

4Truth

Re: CTG & Mystery of History

Unread post by 4Truth » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Personally, I think it would be a lot of duplication content-wise. We did MOH 1 before discovering MFW, and I don't recall it really covering much, if anything, that MFW doesn't cover. In fact, I like the way CTG covers the material *better* because you're reading so much content directly from the Bible, whereas MOH "summarizes" most of it for you (i.e., Bible stories mixed in with non-Bible stories).

We used Streams the same way my3sons used.... Sometimes I read it aloud, sometimes I scanned and summarized it for the girls, and sometimes I would have them read from it. Just depended on what the topic was that day and how things were going.

You could potentially stick the MOH volume in Book Basket and let them read it whenever they feel like it, though.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.