Compare CTG to earlier MFW programs - A big transition?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
TriciaMR

Is CTG really easier?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Mexmarr wrote:The thread mentioning CTG being easier left me wondering. I thought that I had heard that it was heavier material. I realize that easier vs harder may be personal opinion, but I am very curious about the thoughts of those who have done both. Did you see one easier than the other, parts easier and parts harder or what?

We are on week 3 of ECC and loving it. I would consider it pretty hard, if I felt like my DD had to do every aspect of every assignment, but I find it pretty easy to tweak to their level and it is working out great. And they are learning so much. (And so am I ;) )

Anyways, answers won't change what I am doing, I plan to go through the cycle as written, I am just curious and have already been thinking about CTG. So, I wanted your opinions.
For us, I have found each year a step up, but in different ways. Once we got into our "groove" with ECC, I found it was pretty constant as far as work load and materials. The other 3 levels I have done (CTG, RTR, and now we're in week 10 of EXP1850) I have felt like they ebb and flow. Some weeks have notebook pages every day, and science pages, and music and art and even lots of reading (I've got SOTW on CD to help with the reading). Then the next week (or week after) will back down a little. EXP1850 seems like a whole lot to me, but I am also doing the 2nd/3rd grade supplement with my twin boys. My boys were in 1st for RTR and that seemed like less work than this year. I was able to do all of 1st and all of RTR, and my boys sat in on the History and Bible of RTR.

But, with ECC you're focusing on Geography, where as CTG it is history. The Streams of Civilization book is a step up, but my (then 4th grade) daughter loved listening to it and I read it all to her.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Amy C.

Re: Is CTG really easier?

Unread post by Amy C. » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:12 pm

ECC was our first year with MFW, and we (I) had a learning curve to adjust. We had been using a more independent (for the child) curriculum. Obviously, that was not working for us or we would not have switched. I did find, though, that when we started ECC, I felt that there was a lot more work for me in reading aloud to my kiddos, preparing for hands-on projects, helping them with those projects, helping them with the change in math and LA. (We changed to all MFW and their recommendations.) That was what I was wanting, but it was an adjustment. It has been well worth it!

I found CTG to be lighter in many ways. By that time, we were in our second year with MFW and getting more comfortable with the change. I found CTG to be lighter on the hands-on. CTG does have the Biblical feasts and the hands-on tabernacle model and other things, but for us, it just seemed a little easier in that area. It is NOT easy in content. It is history, and the topics do get heavier and more in depth. To me learning geography and history is different in many ways. Maybe the "ease" feeling is because the Bible portion and the history portion in CTG flow together. I mean, once in the history cycle, the two subjects are one and the same. The Bible is HIStory and history is HIStory. The Bible is history.

I definitely would not be worried about your kids not getting "enough". It is more than enough but not overwhelming and very doable. That is the beauty of MFW! I thoroughly enjoyed CTG and am thoroughly enjoying RTR. "I" am learning soooo much!!! And am thrilled at what my kids are learning!

Amy C.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Easier? in terms of time management it felt that way. ECC has this look of "more grid boxes" but really, it's just broken down differently. You still have Bible, vocab, language arts, English, math, science, reading, book basket... and the rest. But the way the grid is set up, it looks different, so it feels different. giggle.. it's all an optical illusion. LOL .. (those of us who have done CTG might remember the optional illusions in the science book in the "day 1 unit on Light/optics"

Easier? in terms of material. not really. Trish touched on that.

touching on what Amy has mentioned. I know what you mean Amy. It feels like it's lighter on hands on... but.. then when you think about the feasts, and the tabernacle building..., playing senet. Jewish feasts, egypt food, greek feasts.... hands on shifts (in my opinion) from global crafts and cooking to "science experiments" and feasts and some other things.

CTG just feels different.

I know when we did CTG most recently, it felt refreshing and very doable in the midst of chaos of moving.

I know what else is lighter in CTG than ECC.... the number of books in book basket. ECC is close to 400 ish (yes, I counted once) and CTG is only about 250 titles listed.

Then, you know what happens? RTR will start to build in strength..... EX1850 gets a running start.

I got it! the analogy that make sense to me. going from ECC to CTG is like interval intensity training or Circuit classes with me. I hit you up the curve in cardio, right before top of the curve you get a great upper torso routine... back to the top in cardio..... now I never let up on intensity, but it feels different, and my customers can hit that top of the curve cardio heavy and do it better when they have the ebb and flow of interval training. That same upper torso routine done at the end of class - ha.. feels hard. But done right after ECC (I mean, a medium song) doesn't have the same yikes to it.
CTG is like that. but that might not make sense to anyone else...

I think we just hit the zone and are enjoying it..... top of the curve, baby... sip that water and keep those feet moving? oh.... sorry.... I'm talking shop again. 8[] It reminds of me of something else we say at my work..... Low Impact does not mean easy! it just means you don't hop or jump.

-crystal, a low impact/lite fitness instructor.

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:47 pm

cbollin wrote:hands on shifts (in my opinion) from global crafts and cooking to "science experiments" and feasts and some other things.
Okay, thinking back, maybe the hands on was not less in CTG than ECC. Maybe I just do better with science experiments than crafts. I dunno??? It just felt different. Maybe by that time I was just more used to the change. Of course, my kids were more independent with the science experiments in CTG. Maybe that was it.

:~ :~ :~

Can't really put my finger on it. I can just tell you it was a great year, and we are very much enjoying RTR this year!

Amy C.

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:49 am

I think ECC just seemed to be good at getting us ready...if that makes sense...and I think that is what Crystal is saying as well. I have to add though; Crystal - you are making me feel pretty guilty because I've let up on my workout the past week!! I think CTG is very meaty for sure - my kids have really learned more than I could have imagined so far - but I think ECC was tough because (a.) it was my first year homeschooling anything like that and (b.) ECC built us up for CTG...now we're rolling and it just seems easier. This year just feels like we are starting to know what we are doing and I feel more content and less inclined to throw my hands up in desperation (at least today)! ;)

In reality - I think it has more to do with our having become better disciplined and that seems to help us better. I felt overwhelmed doing ECC last year (even though we still really enjoyed it too) - but I think it had much more to do with it being my first formal year homeschooling anything over pre-k. I started last year with my daughter in K & my son in ECC. Before that - I had taught my daughter pre-k & my older children were in public school.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Mexmarr

Unread post by Mexmarr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:39 am

Thanks guys. This is just the information that I was wondering about. I wasn't concerned or worried, just curious. Thanks for your insights.
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

Cyndi (AZ)

ECC vs CtG

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Mallorie wrote:I'm just wondering how the two programs compare? This is our first year with MFW (ECC), so naturally i'm curious how next year will look in contrast to this one. Gography study has just never been my thing-not knocking the program. I am learning with that geography game, though, that's for sure! But, I think i'll be ready to dive into history.

SO, what do I have to look forward to? :-)
Well . . . when I started CTG, I started missing ECC!

It is wonderful to be going through Biblical history, though - and the projects are fun, but there aren't as many as ECC. Science is way more fun and hands-on in CTG! Building the timeline is cool. There aren't as many pre-printed notebook sheets -- the kids do a lot of summarizing on blank paper. To be honest, in CTG I'll start talking about a Bible subject and get way too far ahead of the time period in history. In my opinion, CTG is more slow and steady. I miss the unit study feel of ECC, but was also ready for a change of pace, so it works.

Is that enough rambling for you? :)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

asheslawson

Re: ECC vs CtG

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:38 pm

I second this...I enjoyed ECC but it was my first year to homeschool an older student and I was sometimes overwhelmed. But I am thoroughly enjoying CTG and MFW 1st this year SO much.

However, I will add that I am really glad I did ECC first. It has helped us quite a bit and we often find ourselves referring to some an atlas from ECC and several of the other books...I tried storing them in a tote for my dd who will circle back to it - but they just keep getting pulled out for school and for fun. We often find ourselves still discussing some of the beautiful stories we read about Nate Saint, Amy Carmichael, Gladys Aylward, and so on. Therefore - enjoy ECC for all it has and I think you'll find that it is an excellent platform to begin CTG on (does that make sense at all?) :-)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/