Feasts - Chanukah in RTR rather than CTG

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Julie in MN

Feasts - Chanukah in RTR rather than CTG

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:38 pm

Anitra,
Chanukah didn't happen chronologically until around the end of CTG/beginning of RTR, so it's studied in week 3 of RTR. The celebration isn't really a main theme in RTR, but it could easily be celebrated either after you read about it or in December when everyone else is celebrating it.

There are some book ideas in the RTR library list, and I'm sure there is tons about it online.

HTH, Julie
Last edited by Julie in MN on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:51 pm

Anitra,

This is not a biblical feast but a historical one (around 165 BC). So I do not think you do anything to celebrate it in particular with CTG studies. I remember reading about it with my kids a couple of different times in our studies but I do not remember when.

You may want to look for some library books to learn about the holiday. It is very interesting and is the remembrance of a war won and the reclaiming of the temple. The 8 candles represent that the light stayed lit for that many days with only enough oil for a day. I actually think it is a great way as believers to remember God's faithfulness to His people.

Hope that helps a little bit!
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.