EFRU - Making and storing cards OR notebook pages

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Lainie

EFRU - Making and storing cards OR notebook pages

Unread post by Lainie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Thought I'd share for those with multiple children doing FTRU this year or for those that are "fussy" like me and want things to look neat. :)

I saw that the vocabulary cards were to be edged in either green or red marker depending on origin. From reading the intro, she was trying to have the children make a "connection" with green=Greek and red=Rome(Latin) so that the kiddos knew not only the word but it's origin. I was thinking we would still refer back to the cards we made this year when doing it next year. I figured they would get mixed up and using that color system would make it easy to remember which words were which.

With 3 dc (and myself) doing these words, that is a lot of time to marker the edges of cards and they wouldn't look uniform. It's not ETERNAL, I understand. But I figure since I have a custom format printer I could save us all a ton of time. There is a little white border but it looks fine.

To do this:

If your printer will allow you to customize your paper size, you can create a Word Document with a colored border and print right onto the index card.

Open Word and select New Blank Document.
Under File, select Page Setup
Change Paper Size to 4 x 6 borderless. Save Changes

Now with your blank document on the screen find FORMAT. There s/b a drop down, select Borders and Shading.

There s/b three tabs to choose from. Select PAGE Border

Setting: Click BOX
Style: Click the solid line
Color: Select either green or red depending on Greek or Latin words
Width: Select either 4 1/2 point or 6 point

Apply to: Whole Document

Do leave this page yet. There s/b an options button. Click it and a margin window should pop-up. Set the margins to 10 pt on all four sides.
For Measure From: select edge of page. Hit 'OK'. Then Hit OK again.

You should now be back to your document which will still look BLANK.

Hit the print button and a preview should come up and you will see the border.

Make sure it looks right. Adjust margins, etc... as needed and print a test card. Make sure card is loaded in the same orientation as it was set-up (vertical most likely) and that you are printing on the blank side (not the lined side).

Ta-dah!

If you want to see what they looked like go here:
http://mishmashmaggie.blogspot.com/2008 ... cards.html
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Another option.....

Since only the Greek (green) roots are done in CTG and only the Latin (red) roots are done in RTR, could you use 2 different colors of index cards?

I was just offering a solution for people like me who are way less uh.... motivated (inclined, uh..... talented) it's like the paperclip or sticky tape debate :)

You're great!!!
-crystal

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:04 pm

To clarify --- I didn't use different colors of cards, it was just a suggestion in my mind because I'm using colored index cards this year for something in ECC.

In CTG we started the year just drawing with marker or crayon to put the border. Couldn't hurt. Then I stopped doing that and just wrote the word with a green/red marker/crayon. Serves the same purpose.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:37 pm

cbollin wrote:Another option.....

Since only the Greek (green) roots are done in CTG and only the Latin (red) roots are done in RTR, could you use 2 different colors of index cards?

-crystal
We did this. One of the big office stores had a set of colored index cards. There were enough green & reddish in the set to cover both years.

Lainie, I agree that there's a little added benefit when the root language is identified.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:26 pm

I just need to clarify. Not so much computer prowess. Actually, kinda lazy. Oh, and cheap.

It took maybe 3 mins to format. Another 10-15 mins to print more than 150 cards.

I have SOOOO many white index cards from a jumbo pack I bought last year for the ECC geography cards. I just wanted to use what we had on stock and not buy anything else. Since it is a border it doesn't take very much ink and it's very fast to print.

Okay, now I just feel silly! I just read TM. Last night I got to the part that said read the intro in the book but I never went back and finished reading the TM until just now! It says to not worry about the green edge thing. talk about blushing.
Lainie (Oregon)

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:34 am

Lainie! I love your idea ~ it sounds like something I would do, too! :) I'm forever trying to find a way to use what I have here & make things look neat. Our passports last year in ECC are a good example, as well as the game cards for the geography game. I had TONS of blank laser postcards from our move FIVE years ago (you know the ones you print up that say, "We've Moved!"), and I thought, "how can I use these?" So your idea was right up my alley.

Even if it wasn't totally necessary (BTDT!), you can look at them and be proud of the love & thoughtfulness you put into making them for your kiddos. :)

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Winni wrote:Ok, no one answered my question above about why MFW said to not worry about outlining the cards in the CTG TM? Sup wit' dat?
Tracey at this point I think it's all about personal preference. It seems most moms are doing the "different colored card" thing over the "colored border card" thing.

If you have neon then GO FOR IT!! Your kids will forever associate neon green with Greek words. Not a bad thing.

Obviously the Hazell's (who know waaaay more than I do) didn't think it was all that important. I'm sure you're fine!
Lainie (Oregon)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:10 pm

Winni wrote:Well...I mean...I bought the cards that had about 4 different colors in it. I have Greek words in pink, green, yellow, and orange. Since the Hazels said it wasn't a big deal...I didn't use 2 different colors. Rats.
Just use all white cards for RTR, use a red marker (or crayon) to write your word and definition.

It will be ok.

-crystal

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:12 pm

No problem. When you do RTR and study the Latin words just get that variety pack of pastel colored cards.

Greek=neon
Latin=pastel

mmmm, that would work right? Just so it's different?

Then again, if they are learning the words & definitions, maybe it's not as important if they know which is Greek in origin and which is Latin.

I honestly don't know if it matters in the long run. I'm just a very visual person so I immediately latched on to the "green=Greek" thing. My kiddos are also very visual learners. It was easy, so I did it.
Last edited by Lainie on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lainie (Oregon)

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:37 pm

I didn't think there would be this much activity on this thread. I just wanted to share something that I thought worked nicely for us. If it worked for other people, great! If it didn't, then that's okay too!

I would NEVER want anyone to feel like they "should" do it a certain way. The whole philosophy around MFW is doing school in a sane way that doesn't burden you or your family. Some moms ENJOY reformatting their printer. Or taking the spiral binding off the TM or covering all their books, etc...

Others are like, "Why?" Whatever works for you and your family is the best way.

IMO, you shouldn't do your cards over! There are other things that you could do with that time (ya know, learning something new).

I was just excited since it was the "first" thing I did to prepare for this year. That's all :)
Lainie (Oregon)

Tracey in ME

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:49 pm

Well, I love Lanie's idea. I'm going to try a few in a minute. I love doing neat stuff like that. I wonder if I can just make the border and the word at the same time?

I don't know if they sell pastel cards. I don't remember seeing those.

Ok, I won't stress it. I'm the type that likes things done neat. Unscrewing the thingy on the TM - I did. Covering all of my books - I do. So...sigh.
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:02 pm

Yes you can print the words at the same time. Make sure you change the page setup to "Landscape" and load your cards in horizontally.

You can either in front of computer and type each word and hit print each time or create a 50 page doc. I just sat there and typed them in. The printer just stored each card's info in it's queue.

The font I used was Comic Sans. It looked just like the font the publisher used on the "cards" pictured on the cover.

HTH
Lainie (Oregon)

Momto3princesses

Unread post by Momto3princesses » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:15 am

TA-DA!!!!! I became quite convicted that, by golly, I should at least try and maybe learn something new along the way:-) I came home with my white index cards, enlisted my husbands help, and together we figured it out. Yay!! I will say though that it took me a lot longer than 20 minutes to figure it out though (sheepish grin). Anyway, the self proclaimed computer challenged mommy did it!

I haven't printed them all out yet. I just figured out how to make the cards and printed a few samples. I was just reading the TM (again) and saw that MFW has the student printing the words on the blank side of the card rather than the teacher (as is suggested in EFRU). So, that gave me pause to think about it further. I wonder if she would get more from the exercise if she had to actually write the word herself. You know, read it, write it, say it. The more the merrier:-) Hmm... I'm printing them with just the borders. But that one step makes this whole process a lot simpler for me. Yay!
Kim (Oregon)

dd1 (13) Finished ECC 2007/2008 now in 8th grade at PS
dd2 (5 1/2) K-MFW
dd3 (4) doing a little bit of K with big sister

Beginning year 1 of homeschooling the Littles with MFW

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:20 am

Yes I did give pause. For you it's simple 'cuz she's older and can write neat. For me, I was worried about THE BOY. Being the youngest with artsy sisters is hard sometimes. I figure with all the definition writing and derivatives they'll get it. At least the Fronts will all look the same even though the backs won't. I know mister will feel more confident about his cards because they'll look just like the girls' cards.

That's why I ended up running them through twice. I didn't plan on printing the words. You can print the words at the same time. Make sure you change the page setup to "Landscape" and load your cards in horizontally.

You can either sit in front of computer and type each word and hit print each time or create a 50 page doc. I just sat there and typed them in. The printer just stored each card's info in it's queue.

The font I used was Comic Sans. It looked just like the font the publisher used on the "cards" pictured on the cover.

Either way yours are going to look great and she'll learn the words and it's going to be so fun this year!!
Lainie (Oregon)

Julie in MN

EFTRU ~ Using a notebook

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 14, 2009 10:18 am

Tennessee Mama wrote:Has anyone used a notebook for the definitions and sentences and just made regular (front: biblos; back: book) flashcards for review? I was thinking of having them constantly review (memorize) "biblos = book" on flashcards. Then in their notebooks have a format like this:

biblos ~ book

Bible - The Book of the Christian religion
bibliography - list of books on a particular subject
(etc)

Then the written sentences.
Audrey,

Your method sounds very nice. I've heard that Cyndi Rushton made a "binder queen" notebook page for EFRU, instead of making the cards.

My son did his sentences on the computer, but it was more like having a spiral notebook. (Well, my son types. Probably most kids use the old standby - the pencil?!) Anyways, he just added the next sentences to the list as the weeks went by. In other words, he didn't do an entire notebook "page" about each word, but just typed his new sentences underneath the sentences for the previous word.

If he would have had put the definition on his page AND the card, he would have felt sorry for himself having to write the definition twice :~ because I would still want the cards for review games. Besides using the cards like flashcards, Marie gives several activities to do for review, once you have made like 12 cards or so to work with.

And actually, I think my kids kinda liked doing as much as possible on the cards just because they were something different to work with.

I think it could work, but you just want to make sure your time on this is concise.

Enjoy!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

meagabby

Re: EFTRU ~ Using a notebook

Unread post by meagabby » Thu May 14, 2009 3:08 pm

We enjoyed the cards.

I wanted to comment about using the cards. Make sure you get the 4x6 cards. We did, but dd(4th grd) still had trouble writing small enough to fit everything on the card.

Dena
Loving learning with MFW!

doubleportion

English from the roots up

Unread post by doubleportion » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:53 am

Crystallea wrote:Just wondering how other families store the 4X6 cards, keeping them neat and tidy and not all over the place. I have 4 children working on them and right now collect them and pass them out. Not my favorite solution. I guess I could just get 4X 6 boxes, but was wondering what other creative possibilities are out there.
Thanks so much
Crystallea
We use an index card binder. I punched holes in the cards and they stay in the little binder. We leave it on the shelf with all the other notebooks.
Crystallea wrote:Do you use 4X6 cards? Where did you find binders that size? I haven't ever seen them. Maybe time for a google search.
Crystal
We use 3x5 cards. Blank on one side and lined on the other. I think I probably bought the premade index card binder refill packets like they list at http://www.officemax.com/office-supplie ... u=20742145.
But I have also created my own using regular cards and the hole punch. I probably got them from walmart. I use the index binders like you can see at http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/8 ... -Binder-4/

I think I originally found everything at walmart. Maybe seeing the pictures of the items will help you to know what to look for. I want to say I may have seen them at Sams in the past as well. (we don't have a costco around here)

HTH
Edie

club190

Re: English from the roots up

Unread post by club190 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:30 pm

I gave up making the cards after a few weeks, raised the white flag, and bought the pre-made set which comes in its own neat and tidy box, like a gift card box. Remember that old adage ... choose only one options ... cheap and fast won't be good, good and cheap won't be fast, fast and good won't be cheap. Everything costs either time, money, or talent. You have to pick your battles. If I had girls who liked making crafty stuff I may have chosen differently, but my boys just weren't interested in making the cards.

Blessings,
Chris
Wife to Jim since '91
Mom to:
Matthew, 18, Ursinus College student
Andrew, 14, ECC 7/8 + a few extras to make it "official" for high school credit
Daniel, 5, wanting to "do school" but still not really ready

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:09 pm

We liked to do something different with our cards. My children seem to learn better if they at least have some involvement with making their cards. I seem to do better if I have a place to put them.

So, we took the cards and taped them to a sewn style composition notebook.
This meant we needed to make sure we wrote in a way that allowed us to do it flip style.
So that the root word was showing
the tape was at the top
then we could flip it open to the read the back side of the card.

For a while, I considered just letting them write the content from the "back side" directly onto the notebook paper. Then the index card would have just been the cover card. But the girls wanted to write on their cards. ok, whatever..... So it meant they would write the root word on blank side, then flip the card "up" on the table to write the other parts. That way the card wasn't upside down when taped in the notebook.

I made a set of cards for playing with and just wrapped them in rubber band and plastic baggie. I am really lame on this stuff.

-crystal

meagabby

Unread post by meagabby » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:17 pm

We started out with boxes for the index cards, but the cards didn't always end up in them.

Our binders have a pocket or two on both front and back on the inside. We put the index cards in a baggie and then slipped them in one of the pockets.

Just another option. :)

dena
Loving learning with MFW!

Pylegang

Unread post by Pylegang » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Each of my boys have a box with one divider tab in it. Blank 3x5 cards go in the back behind the tab and the cards they've completed go in alphabetical order in front of the tab.

Each day that we do a card, my boys write the Latin root on the front and then on the back they write how to pronounce it along with the meaning. I have them file their own card alphabetically--it's great practice for them. They're in charge of their own box! I don't have to pass out blank cards OR collect their completed cards. When they review, they're just careful to keep them in proper alpha order.

Another option: Purchase a little index card binder for each kid or even keep them in ziploc bags.
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

mamacastle2

English from the Roots Up

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:47 am

Just wanted to let you know about some notebooking pages for EFTRU. I'm not big into the index cards (no where to put them, they're always lost, etc.) so this works better for us.

http://www.currclick.com/product_info.p ... 29368&it=1

Blessings,
Jeanne
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

cbollin

Re: English from the Roots Up

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:00 am

yep. notebooking style works too.

I tape our Root Words index cards onto a composition style notebook in a way that it's like a lift a flap. word on top, info below.

I did similar kind of thing in ECC with vocab words.

lots of fun ideas.

LA in Baltimore

Re: English from the Roots Up

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:25 am

I like the index cards that are already spiral bound that way they flip, but don't get lost! :-)
I've also used a regular spiral notebook for things like this. One item to a page.
Since they are sooo inexpensive at back to school sales, I usually have a few extras for things like this.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

hsm

EFTRU - 3x5 versus 4x6 cards and boxes

Unread post by hsm » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:19 pm

abrightmom wrote:I have several 3x5 card boxes in my container stash :) and wonder if it would work to use these in lieu of the recommended 4x6 cards/boxes for our Latin roots work. Please advise! :-)
We tried the 4x6 cards and even those were too small for my fourth grade who writes large and for my 7th grader whom I require to write all of the definitions. So I ended up using notebook pages instead. I had found some on currclick. Not sure how much they cost. I got them during a pay what you want sale. Wouldn't be too hard to make your own though. Just what works for us but I am sure you could make the smaller cards work since you have them already. :)
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

abrightmom

Re: EFTRU - 3x5 versus 4x6 cards and boxes

Unread post by abrightmom » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Lori, Thanks for suggesting the note booking pages as I think they're pretty flexible and we can make a tab in their binder for them. I have the EFTRU flashcards and we can use those for review games together. :-)
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8