Academics - Adding to CTG?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
dhudson

Academics - Adding to CTG?

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:09 pm

3boysmom wrote:I have 3 kids...all boys, they will be 6th, 4th & 1st. I'm looking at doing CTG with my older two and was thinking about doing another program with it. Am I crazy? Has anyone done this? I really like both programs very much and if I did just MFW, I was going to add in MOH anyways.

Has anyone used both of the programs? Part of my problem is that I'm a curriculum junkie, I like and want it all. :-) We are currently using Sonlight and BF (just the books). We have used part of ECC. Thanks for any help you can offer me!!!
Just a little thought...

CtG is a more intense program than ECC so I personally would seriously look at CtG's TM first and then think about adding. I don't know how long you have planned for your school day to be but it might get long. You could have your oldest add in more reading.

Isn't adding expensive as well?

I've had to learn the hard way not too add in too many things so I always start the year slow and then add in later as needed. :)
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

my3boys

Re: Academics - Adding to CTG?

Unread post by my3boys » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:14 pm

We did another program last year - it was very expensive and you get a ton of stuff, but I only ended up using half of it. With MFW I have used absolutely everything that I have bought.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

Caryn

Unread post by Caryn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:54 pm

I have used both and it's a LOT. I wouldn't do it again. MFW is more than enough. And the quality is at a level where you really don't need anything else.
Caryn
==============================================
dd9, ds8, and ds3 (Speech therapy and pre-k)
Pre-k (twice), K (twice), 1st (twice), Adventures, ECC and currently CtG
My blog: Considering Wildflowers

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:52 am

This question pops up in one form or another periodically here ("Can I use SL and MFW?" or "What about MOH and MFW?" or "TOG along with MFW?" or even "Abeka with MFW?" -- that's an odd one).

Anyway, my standard answer is: MFW is plenty. It also has a great pace. If you add to the pace, you'll overwhelm yourself and your kids. They WON'T learn any more than if you didn't add to it. If you visit my house and I give you a nice roast beef dinner with a slice of pie then you'll go home thinking, "Well, that was just right!" If you come to my house and I give you that same nice beef and pie dinner but I am thinking, "Hmm, that looks a little sparse, maybe I should add some fried chicken, corn bread, and ice cream to the menu because I know that chicken, cornbread, and ice cream are GOOD" then you'll stuff yourself, not enjoy any of it, and feel stuffed. Same with combining different curricula. Both might be excellent, but too much of a good thing...

Pray about what program God wants you to do, then do it and don't add a lot to it.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:40 am

I think it depends on what you are planning to add. If you buy a whole curriculum and try to add it, it would be way too much.

MFW though is written with the thought in mind that you are going to add readers and/or read-alouds plus some informational books for book basket - you could use the library or you could buy books or packages from somewhere else. Also MFW uses notebooking and a timeline so you could use resources for these as a supplement although unnecessary. For me, the draw of buying the readers package is that I get a schedule with it and the books are arranged by grade level - my ds started a few books this year off the list that he just couldn't get through.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

cbollin

Advice/Help with my 10yo, please

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:37 pm

HeyChelle wrote:My 10 yo is breezing through this (CTG) like its nothing. She is already reading a ton. She reads literature and book basket material during the day, and biographies or non-fiction at bedtime. I picked up a TON of book basket material and she reads every single one.

For her Writing Strands and other stories that she writes on her own, I set her up typing them out, illustrating them, and we are printing blurb books for her to give as gifts at Christmas time. She is going through MUS Epsilon at a chapter per week, plus doing extra work in Singapore. She is completely independent in math. I rarely ever have to answer questions for her and she only misses problems when she gets careless.

The only thing she isn't doing is Rosetta Stone. We will add that back in just as soon as I figure out why the microphone on the iMac stopped working after the latest software update.

She helps me out with the little ones when I need an extra hand, does a decent amount of chores around the house to help out, is on team with gymnastics training 2 afternoons per week, and we do America Heritage Girls with friends where she is doing community service plus earning badges. And we do cool field trips every Friday afternoon as long as the house is (relatively) clean and our school work is done. We've done everything from ice skating to musicals to touring farms, vineyards, and a winery.

And yet, she has been kind of moping around bored (but not complaining) for the past hour. I can just tell she is waiting on something else to do. She *always* has her independent work (math, writing strands, vocab, ILL, book basket, free reading, etc.) done by 9:30AM at the very latest, and then she listens in to the read alouds and sits with us for Bible and History reading. So she is done with school by 10:30 AM.

I don't want to punish her with extra work for being efficient and an early riser, but I don't think she is being challenged here either. She needs something to do... a project, more education, something. But at the same time, I'm not sure I can take on much more hands-on for me. Any advice/tips appreciated.
sounds like my oldest from back then....right down to zipping through Epsilon.
my kiddo learned a handicraft and I had her get her crocheting done, or cross stitching done. then, she could play.

they need to find productive time in unstructured setting. She's getting plenty of school done. I would recommend she learn how to type those stories more on her own. Get a keyboarding program.

time for a classic thread....
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1829

and look into the "enrichment gifts" that mfw has started to sell. those KEVA Structures 200 Plank Set look good for anything.

how is art going?

-crystal

momxnine

Re: Advice/Help with my 10yo, please

Unread post by momxnine » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Does she know how to sew? Would that be a possiblity? I started sewing on a machine at the age of 10 and have been sewing ever since. All of my girls started learning to sew about that age. I can post some links for some good teaching books if you're interested in doing something like that.
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:41 pm

She knits using the looms (is knitting matching doll hats and scarves to sell for Christmas cash right now) and does cross-stitch once in a while.

We are *praying* and hoping to buy a larger house SOON. I will have room to unpack my sewing machine. My girls will be so excited! If that happens, recommendations will be so welcome!

Crystal - Art is going well. The kids love the art/art history with CTG.

Science is a bit lack-luster. YK, I'm a chemist, and I find it ironic that science is the subject that slides around here. :-) We do the reading, but I don't always have the supplies. During our holiday break we are going to do a big science lab day to catch us up. If we are in that new house, I will also pre-purchase and stock up on on the little supplies I need. We don't drink soda or juice, so I never even have plastic bottles around, things like that. :~ Our zoo offers homeschool science classes once a month, so we do those. Big puffy heart our zoo! Plus, I'm a bit of a natural health nerd and we are always talking about health, nutrition, and the body. We cook from scratch, brew kombucha and water kefir, and so on. There is always some kind of science going on in our normal everyday life... so I guess I'm not too worried about being behind in the science part of CTG.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:45 pm

I know I posted (a lot) on the thread Crystal linked. If she is starting very early in the morning and still *wants* more, here's another thread with dreams of having time to do *more*
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10913

What else do you think she longs to do? Is it more academics? Could she do a Thinking Skills book, or Critical Thinking type things? How about reports on her ancient history studies? Or a separate project, like interviewing a family member and writing up a history -- my son did that during EX1850, when he interviewed my dad about Vietnam, and again in WHL, when he interviewed many people we knew in the medical field and wrote about careers. I'm so glad we took the time to do those.

Does she prefer artistic things? It sounds like she does handwork, but the others had more ideas for that, too. The junior highs around here still do a sewing class (usually a duffel bag) and a cooking class. Some of the Hazell kids wrote their own cookbooks, collecting family recipes, which could be a large project with a letter-writing campaign and such. I did this a couple of years ago for Christmas, and included a little story bubble for most of the recipes, about who first used the recipe, where they found it, who liked it, how it had been adapted, etc. Or, I've always wanted to do a formal etiquette book with my kids, but never had the time, so that's another idea. There are cute ones all the way up to formal ones (Inge Cannon wrote a Christian one, and of course there is always Miss Manners at the library).

With your dd's creative writing flair, maybe she would like to create a more substantial notebook about the history she is studying in CTG. My older dd took many hours for each page in her history notebook, adding hand-drawn maps and verses/quotes in calligraphy. My youngest son also put in some creativity on the computer, using different fonts and styles. She could also just read more of the Old Testament in CTG than is scheduled.

Does she like technology? There are a couple of homeschool programming courses out there now. It also wouldn't hurt to learn some of the hardware, how a computer is put together, how to connect everything up, etc. My ds did a sort-of "shop class" at home in about 7th-8th grades, learning how to fix stuff and weld and such, plus some handcrafts like leather and woodburning.

What a wonderful girl you have on your hands,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:29 pm

just brainstorming (and keeping in mind that sometimes "boredom" is "hormones" at this wonderful age)

- I purchased Bible curriculum from CLE. It's good. And it's independent. I make sure she reads the entire passage in the Bible along with the lesson in the workbook

- Your dd is writing and illustrating - is she putting together actual books? Binding them, decorating covers?

- What about music? Does she play an instrument? Could she?

- Can she be in charge of fixing lunch?

- Does she do reports on your field trips? Maybe keep a separate illustrated Field Trip binder?

- What about camera pictures? Do you take them? Could she? She could be your "yearbook editor" for the year and make a scrapbook of CTG, including field trips and family outings. Lots of online software to help with that for a digital scrapbook, too.

- I'm finding there's lots of little "tasks" that I have that I can teach my dd to do now that she's 10yo. She's able to handle a lot without complaining and it is teaching her how to run her own house someday. It was a bit of work in the beginning, but she caught on quickly.

- As far as science -- why not make that dd's responsibility? It's not that much work. She would need to look ahead and make a supply list so you could purchase items that you need and she could be in charge of setting up experiments. My dd did that in CTG and it worked out well.

It sounds like your dd is an industrious, wonderful girl. I'll admit I felt a little jealous and inferior at first while reading your post!! Then I started thinking about all my dd does. These 10yo's are capable of handling so much, it's amazing. They do indeed still need lots of time to play, though. Imagination station time, we call it. Oh, and exercise -- what does she do for exercise?

I'm done now. I need to go check and see what my dd is doing! LOL!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Thank you everyone!

Cyndi - she is very athletic already. Is on team with gymnastics and plays soccer part of the year.

Music - I hope to add this in if we are blessed with the house we are trying to buy. That should round out education for us.
Rosetta Stone - fixed that last night. Yay!

And today she heated up lunch for everyone.

Books - yes. I am looking for a company where she can self-publish her books. Not for sale, but for herself and as gifts.

Field Trip report book is a great idea! Thanks! She is getting a camera for Christmas and I will assign this. I bet she will love it and it will double for a badge project in AHG.

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Does she like crafts? My e eight year old does latch hook and other crafts. When she is notes I have her get those out for something to do.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi, Chelle,

Is she the only child doing CTG? Wondering . . what if you just let her go? Give her the TM, ask her to give you a list of supplies needed each week, and tell her to go for it! At age 10, she can absolutely work on her own.

If she finished early, she could choose a list of three skills to study on her own during that time slot, i.e.:
- knitting
- foreign language (Rosetta Stone has an addiction on my oldest daughter. She would do it for hours.)
- a business she may be interested in starting (You can study all kinds of computer programs, web design, and photography online: http://www.Lynda.com)
(you choose ;) )

Enjoy CTG. :)
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:27 am

I'd caution against letting them do Bible and history on their own at age 10. Not because the 10 y.o "can't" academically do it.... but because of spiritual reasons that parents still have a big role in those subjects and somewhat on the content in the subjects. If you let her go... hmmm.. then pray pray pray pray that she goes on her own in the right way and pray that it doesn't set up issues in high school when parent will really be glad to be a major part of Bible in mfw high school.

other subjects like math, English, art, etc... that's different. but with Bible and history.... I'd caution from that...with a 10 year young child.

just an opinion and just food for thought.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 am

I have been lurking on this thread with many questions circling in my head with my advanced 9 year old.

Crystal, I just wanted you to know that the above quote was very helpful to me. I needed to hear it. I wasn't thinking of truly putting him completely on his own, but the temptation has always been there since he reached 'academic capability' two years ago. ADV kept us in the Bible & history together, and I appreciate the reminder how important this is for years to come. I was recently reminded of the fact that 'Bible, history, and science' are content subjects that teach world view. It is a good reminder of how important it is to be teaching that world view ourselves as parents, even as our children become very capable.

Blessings,
Carin

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:52 am

Carin said it so much better than I could...
It is a good reminder of how important it is to be teaching that world view ourselves as parents, even as our children become very capable.
that's what I was getting at... even if situations are such that student reads ahead, or grabs the manual and all of that.... don't forget the parent time after they read ahead. I know there were times in my oldest daughters 5th grade year where she had to read silently from history stuff so that I had the physically ability to teach the worldview. I had some weird infection in my mouth from fluoride reaction that lasted undiagnosed for months. I could not talk for long without pain. So she'd read books. I'd read them to myself..... Then, with the 10 minutes that I could talk, we discussed all of it. So... it was a mix of letting her read because I could not physically read out loud and have strength to teach the world view...

but, yes, that is what I was getting at.... even if a student that age is reading ahead.... don't panic, but don't forget to teach at that age either....

and thanks for letting me know it wasn't totally misunderstood.

-crystal

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:15 am

THanks everyone! Lots of great ideas.

Rosetta Stone is up and working again so that is one more thing for her. Yay.

My second grader is also going through CTG, so we do Bible and History together. And I agree with Crystal's comments about doing those together. I enjoy reading all that to them.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Another thing that hit me as I was rereading this post, I remember discussing last year how CTG seemed so much easier than ECC. For many different reasons, I really struggled with my dd zooming through school when she started CTG.

That was when I picked up the extra Bible curriculum - so my dd could have a kid-driven study of the NT with me just chatting with her about it. I started getting her more challenging books to read as well and asking for book reports. I was thankful for the outside classes that she had, including homework, to fill up her day. Now that I remember better, I can so relate to what you were saying.

If it's any consolation, RTR seems like a big step up from CTG. This year my dd is more involved in school at home than she is with the outside stuff and is doing really well with it. That's *our* story - your mileage may vary, but I thought I'd mention that we had an issue at this time last year as well.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL