Worldview - Important growing lessons in CTG

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Toni@homezcool4us

Worldview - Important growing lessons in CTG

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Fri May 08, 2009 9:23 am

I just posted this on "Share your experiences: CTG" but thought you might like to see it in case you don't read that thread.

It's been a banner year in CTG. We've loved the pace, activities, and content. And I have to say, I appeciate the reality that we must help our children examine non-Christian viewpoints in the light of the scriptures. CTG has given us a full year to do that (plenty of time for me to help them consider and process the content a bit at a time). My 4th grader is now very aware that throughout history to present time, there are people who have worshipped false gods and/or who have made a conscious choice to reject Christ or hold opposing beliefs. It's a heavy lesson, yes, but one which I'm glad we can openly engage in dialogue about as we move forward. Because seriously? So much to teach, so little time (sigh)!!!. From what we believe, to why we believe, to standing firm on what we believe. CTG has been immensely useful in helping us to move along this path.

Obviously, we examined Egyptian and Greek culture from a historical perspective (in other words, there's no way around their opposing beliefs as part of history.) But the belief in polytheism gave me excellent opportunity to discuss opposing beliefs with my dd and to take her to the word to see what our great God has to say about it (starting with the first commandment). I was a little concerned about tackling such opposing views "so early", but it has been such a positive growing experience for all of us (because God's word does provide many examples of these opposing views so the lessons are clearly important in spite of their harsh contrast to our beliefs.)

Okay, so there you have it. Some "almost" closing thoughts on our awesome year in CTG.
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

RJ's Momma

Re: Important growing lessons (CTG)

Unread post by RJ's Momma » Fri May 08, 2009 10:15 am

Thank you so much for posting this. It makes me even more excited for next year.

Homeschooling (and particularly with MFW) has proven to be not only a great education for my dd, but for me as well:)

Shannon
Wife to dh 12 years, Momma to 'RJ' 10 years old
CtG - July 2009 (5th grade) ECC-4th grade Adventures-3rd grade
Used ABeka for 1st and 2nd grade MFW-K
http://www.aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com

meagabby

Re: Important growing lessons (CTG)

Unread post by meagabby » Fri May 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Toni,
thank you so much for sharing this. I too, have loved the teachable moments in CtG year and especially the timeline of other events placed "inside" our bible timeline.

Dena
Toni@homezcool4us wrote:Yes Dena, I too liked seeing bible history charted as part of world history. Very cool!
Loving learning with MFW!

rxmom

Question about CtoG...

Unread post by rxmom » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:30 pm

hollybygolly wrote:Hi everyone~
I'm sure this has been asked before so if someone wants to provide a link, that's great! Where can I find out about the religious content of CtoG? Are the false religions of these ancient civilizations taught, and at what level? I'm mainly thinking about my (then) 2nd grader and not wanting to confuse her when she's just really starting to learn about the heart of our faith. Any insight? ?? Thanks~Holly
Hi,
We are just finishing CTG and can say that most all discussion of false religions is done from a scriptural perspective... the bible is used as the foundation of any discussion on false religions and is key to understanding the history of God with His people....specifically when following the successes and failures of the Israelites after they have been given the promised land and God has warned them not to worship the Baals and Ashtorahs, etc. of the pagan peoples of Canaan and not to marry the women who practice these false religions (as Solomon did) and God is very clear in the Word what the consequences of this would be. Personally, I think it was good for my kids to see that we have an incredibly forgiving, loving Father but one who expects and desires our obedience and that disobedience has serious consequences. We don't have a distant God but one that is deeply involved with His children. These pagan civilizations were very lost and dark...it makes the light of God shine brighter. There is some discussion of other world religions as it relates to each civilization studied (ex. egyptian gods, greek gods, buddhism)but I do not think it is overly emphasized and certainly not glorified in any way. I think some overview or knowledge of what these various civilizations believed is essential for understanding their history.As Isaiah 40 states, .."He brings princes to naught and reduces the rulers of this world to nothing...."

The Children's Homer, of course, has mention of whatever greek god/goddess was responsible for each of the "turn of events" in both Troy and in the voyages of Odysseus. My kids understand these are made up gods that the Greeks invented to explain certain events...they often laughed at the silliness of some of these stories.These fake "human appearing" gods had many character flaws (jealousy, rage, covetness, vanity,etc)...certainly not the characteristics of our Holy, Perfect Lord...

In CTG you even pray for some of these modern day countries (Egypt,Iraq, Iran,) that have people who are unbelievers or who have yet to hear the good news of the Gospel of Christ.

I have a 6 yo dd who often listened in on our history readings/discussions and I do not feel she was ever confused about the power and sovereignty of the One, True God. Of course, you will have to use your own discretion and wisdom as to what and how you wish to share these things with your 2nd grader...I certainly understand your concern.

Have a Blessed school year...you are in for a treat...We LOVED it...just finished painting our Greek pots, watching a history channel DVD on the Greek/Persian battles (boys loved it), and eating Hamantachen cookies! 2 more weeks to go then a break.
Delcey :)
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

doubleportion

Re: Question about CtoG...

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:50 am

We are only into week 10 of CTG but I just wanted to mention something. I love how ECC comes before CTG. You get good solid intro to the Gospel with the book of Matthew and using the Window on the World etc you get a gentle intro to other religions. We used that time to compare them with the One True God often supplementing from VOM's Kids of Courage website and resources. If your 1st grader is listening in on ECC right now, she will get a lot of gentle intro to other religions and learn how those people are lost and need The Savior. I know that is why ECC is scheduled first and then CTG. So far in CTG we have only come across mostly Egypt in terms of religious stuff and what is covered is very mild in the package books. You can go deeper with Library books but for my current 4th grader it was more than enough. I know we will learn more about their gods when we study the Plagues. The student sheet shows how the Plagues were a way to demonstrate that the Egyptian gods were powerless and how each plague correlated to a certain Egyptian god proving to Egypt that Our God is the Supreme God.

HTH
Edie

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:11 pm

doubleportion wrote:I love how ECC comes before CTG. You get good solid intro to the Gospel with the book of Matthew and using the Window on the World etc you get a gentle intro to other religions.
Like Edie, I think this is key. We spent 3rd grade (ECC) praying for people who don't know Jesus. Then when we got to CTG, my ds just felt concern for people following other religions. He didn't feel the stories seemed as true as our God's story. And yet he didn't condemn the misled people, either. We continued to pray for them.
rxmom wrote:We are just finishing CTG and can say that most all discussion of false religions is done from a scriptural perspective... the bible is used as the foundation of any discussion on false religions and is key to understanding the history of God with His people.
This is key, too. As long as both religions are being considered alongside one another, never fear, our God will shine.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

hollybygolly

Unread post by hollybygolly » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks ladies, I feel reassured. My hesitancy came from a comment from a friend who uses another curriculum that introduces ancient cultures and religions very early on, but not from a Biblical mindset. It kind of got me wondering...however, I should have known that MFW would introduce it in a God honoring fashion! I've not been disappointed to date with this curriculum. Thanks again! ~Holly
Have a blessed day loving our Savior-Holly
Mommy to: Annie and Lynne (11), Maely (8), Gracie (6) and one precious one waiting in Heaven
Completed: MFW K; 1st Grade; Adventures; ECC
Currently using~MFW 1st grade (again!); Rome to Reformation

cbollin

Struggling with mythology......

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Jamie wrote:I'm needing some encouragement with the mythology portion of our studies. We're currently doing CtG, so we're reading
The Children's Homer. Can anyone tell me what the true benefit of reading mythology is? We move from our Bible time into reading mythology, and it's kind of a struggle for me. I'm not sure if it's a "check" in my spirit, or if it's just moving me out of my comfort zone? What are your top reasons for incorporating mythology into your education? Just wondering.....and in the meantime, I need to be praying about it and talking to my hubby about his thoughts on it. :)

Thanks,
Jamie
Let me ask some food for thought questions:

what ages are you doing Children's Homer with?

Do you read other fiction stories? (some Christians don't read much fiction... no debate.. just asking you to ask yourself)

Are your children thinking that these gods in Homer are real and equivalent to the only True God? (my children didn't have that problem. they figured it was pretend made up)

is the reading just too much to do out loud? (I borrowed an online ebook from library instead)

If random persons don't want to read it, set it down and don't worry about it! Just read the small book The Trojan Horse. That will give enough background. Then for reading time or whatever, you can read something not related to history. It's really ok if someone doesn't read it if that person is not comfortable. Just make sure the decision isn't fear based.

some of my reasons:
I like having some literature from the time frame we are studying.
we liked the adventure. well told story and I enjoy some books over reading level.
we had years of understanding that not everyone follows Jesus.
It helped make sense of the book of Jonah when the sailors are so willing to toss him into the sea to appease an unknown god.
there are reasons to understand parts of history study about wars, women, fighting, honor, etc.
there are so many references in our current culture to some of this
there are some references in the new testament too
helps sets the stage for understanding part of the culture that was happening in Bible times that was real part of daily interaction.

And this is food for thought at the High School level,
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... ogy#p57564

again, if random person reading this doesn't want to do the book, that's cool.
-crystal

sewardmom

Re: Struggling with mythology......

Unread post by sewardmom » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Jamie,
I can relate to your stuggle. I have talked with MFW staff several times about this and never really got peace about it.
We skipped that book.
Adding this so you know you are not alone. :)
~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:18 pm

There's a brief explanation in the TM on the date that you start reading Homer. It was a quote from a book about why we read the classics. I thought it was good information.

I know that as an adult I love Homer. There's just something about the adventure of Odysseus that thrills me to this day, and this is a book that was written how many thousands of years ago? That's pretty cool. And the language and the poetry in it. It amazes me. There's also a section in Honey for a Child's Heart (from 1st grade) that talks about why we read really good literature with adventure and morals that's not necessarily "Christian." The books makes the case that there is so little quality Christian literature (the Patricia St. John books and Chronicles of Narnia being exceptions) that it's not really a case of "just substitute x for y."

My little 7yo son (just turned 7 in December) is all about the Greek myths. He is LOVING Homer and the D'Aulaire book of Greek Myths, plus all the book basket books about greek mythology. He is devouring all of it (and it's funny to hear him talk about it because he pronounces the names phonetically). But he knows they are stories like fairy tales, and he's just enjoying them. He hasn't enjoyed a topic this much except for animals (the boy loves animals). He did enjoy Egyptian mummies and pharoahs, but this is even better.

Anyway, beyond the TM's explanation, which I thought was excellent, I can't give you any real benefits other than it is beautiful literature. It also sets the stage for Acts when the apostles are telling the gospel amidst such idolatry. My children are reading Acts (in a different Bible Study) and their eyes are open to exactly the picture Paul is painting about the areas he's preaching in.

Blessings, Jeanne
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Jamie,
Have you done ECC already? I ask this because it was in ECC that my ds was prepared for CTG. After ECC, my ds felt nothing but pity for those who didn't know our Jesus.

However, because of that pity, my ds doesn't really like reading the mythology. If he liked the stories, that would be another consideration, but he really prefers the Bible. I do think you can skip it if you like, but here are the reasons I forged ahead with it:

1. Because Bible is first in MFW. That's not a question when we use MFW lesson plans.

2. I want my ds to understand the references in the culture he was born to some day live within and minister to in whatever way he is led. Our culture is absolutely full of references to mythology, most of which were chosen very specifically because of what they stood for, and I wanted my ds to be fully cognizant of such representations.

3. I want my ds to stand up next to anyone who may say that the Bible is the same as any other mythology. This is really the big thing with young people I work with today -- every religion is the same, every religion is okay. There are some similarities, and I don't want my children to be confused when some day folks quote bits of the Bible and bits of other mythology. The more he knows about both, the more he can respond in a way that defends his own faith and perhaps impacts theirs.

4. Because of similar goals in high school, I wanted my ds to prepare with a general understanding of Homer and mythology during his elementary years. I thought it would be a lot to absorb in high school if it was 100% new.

Here are a few more folks' thoughts:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 569#p57569
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 094#p31094
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7621
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 896#p69886

Julie

Jamie

Unread post by Jamie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:06 pm

cbollin wrote:Let me ask some food for thought questions:

what ages are you doing Children's Homer with?

Do you read other fiction stories? (some Christians don't read much fiction... no debate.. just asking you to ask yourself)

Are your children thinking that these gods in Homer are real and equivalent to the only True God? (my children didn't have that problem. they figured it was pretend made up)

is the reading just too much to do out loud? (I borrowed an online ebook from library instead)
We do read other fiction stories.....We're currently reading aloud one of Patricia St. John's books, my son enjoys books by Henty and others, and my daughters enjoy various fictional books from the library. So, no, we're not against reading fiction....and no, my kiddos aren't getting confused between the gods in Homer and our One and Only True God. I'm glad we're doing it together so that we can talk along the way. In one of these first chapters in The Children's Homer, my 11 yo son couldn't get over the scene where the stranger changed to a woman, then to a sea-eagle. Some of that is a little "strange" to us (I'm not sure how to word some of this). Maybe this will just take some adjusting, as we're more on the conservative side when it comes to literature (i.e. We don't even read some of C.S. Lewis' books, which I know a lot of people love, but I'm just not "there." ....maybe some day, but not right now).
cbollin wrote:I'm sorry... I really only intended it for self thinking to attempt to help you and your husband pin point issues and all of that. I didn't intend you to feel like you had to defend any of it out loud... I"m sorry. We all have different things that we read and enjoy and/or prefer to not do at certain ages/stages. it's ok ((((hugs))))
Crystal, there are no apologies needed.....really. Your response did not bother me at all.

We used ECC last year, Julie, so I can see what you're saying. I'm glad we get to do all of this together with our kiddos. What a blessing!

I just appreciate people taking the time to help eachother out. It's been a neat blessing for me. So, thanks, everybody for your thoughtful responses. I don't think that it would hurt to keep moving forward in our current book, and just be good about really talking things through.

Postby Jamie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:47 pm
Wow! Thank you everybody for your thoughtful responses. I truly do appreciate it. After visiting with my husband a few days ago, we decided to go ahead and set aside The Children's Homer for now. I definitely don't "look down" on any other families who have read it/are reading it. I can understand your reasons by your responses. We're not against talking about some of the aspects that make up mythology. This was a decision based on our family's needs right now. So, thanks again for your thorough and thoughtful answers to my question. The people on this board are so helpful!
Jamie
Married to my sweetie for 16.5 years
14 ds, 12 dd, 10 dd, 7 ds, 4 ds, 1.5 dd
MFW K, ECC, CtG, RtR, Ex to 1850, & 14 yo currently in 1850 to Modern

705emily

Unread post by 705emily » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Jamie--

I appreciate your thoughts on this. We are in the middle of reading The Children's Homer, and I too have had some mixed feelings about it. But it has provided some great opportunities for discussion--and for the most part, the kids are really into it. It seems odd to me too--because we do our Bible and talk about things like....what is God trying to teach us through the story of David, or what can we learn about the character of God, in this passage of Scripture, and then 10 minutes later, we are reading mythology and false gods. So... I'm not sure if its just the proximity to our Bible time that is making me feel uneasy. That's something I can change, though.

I do think it's important for the kids to hear literature from the time period we are learning about, and the language is so neat! "affrighted" and "slew", etc. etc... are all new words to my kids--so it is definitely expanding their vocabulary! I remember as a child of about 5th grade when one of my teachers read aloud Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream", and to this day, the language, and the poetry is imprinted on my memory! I know that that story is about a complicated love plot and this person falls in love with that person, etc. etc., and I can't even remember what the story line was--and maybe it's a story that I would now wait to read to my kids until they are older--but I'll never forget "hearing it." Not sure--but maybe that's the experience MFW wants the kids to have.

We built a model of the Trojan Horse, and so reading The Children's Homer story is bringing that experience to life. Reading it also has pointed out the futility of trusting in false gods! Just wanted to share my thoughts.....I totally understand your concerns though!

Blessings!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Hello! We are just wrapping up Week 21 of CtG today, so we are probably near the same point as you and Irmi! We finally just finished reading the Patricia St. John book, Treasures of the Snow. It was a beautiful book and out of the three we have read written by her, this has been our favorite! We got behind on the readings for it during December, but got back to it in January.

Back to the main point of this thread, we are also reading The Children's Homer. I think it is definitely giving them a different kind of language to listen to and appreciate. There are vocabulary words that we have to stop and discuss because they really have not heard them before. My children are captivated by the adventurous story and even though I have to explain it more than other books, they are really listening better to this than when I try and read from a non-fiction history book.

My younger child is 8 now and she really was confused for the first few days about this story and kept thinking that it was like the Bible, but now she understands that the Bible is true stories and this is "made-up". I also got the book about Greek Mythology by Aliki from the library and she almost read the whole book in a day. After reading it, she understood that some of these mythological stories are so "not true", like how one goddess was just born out of the sea and things like that. We also did ECC last year and I can really tell where it helped them to understand that the world is much larger than our little town and that there are still many lost people who don't know Jesus. So they can understand that all of these myths were made up by these other people and long before Jesus came to the earth.

I hope that it inspires them to listen to or to read great works of literature in the future, like Shakespeare, even though the language is very different from how we speak. I think that there are many references to these stories and this era of history that it won't hurt them to know and understand more of what these ancient people believed.

More than anything, these stories of gods and goddesses that compete, get jealous, and do bad things are a great contrast with our merciful and mighty God! After reading about several of them, it is so obvious that humans made these stories up and they are nothing like our loving, awesome, miracle-working God!
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Merry

Unread post by Merry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:14 am

One thing that's great to do when reading Greek mythology is to relate back to the Bible. This is the climate and culture that Paul was preaching too--the Greeks! These were their beliefs! Understanding this helps make sense of the Bible.

In Act 14:12, the people call Barnabas 'Zeus' and Paul 'Hermes.' They really think the gods have become men here.
In Acts 17, Paul is preaching on Mars Hill and notices an altar 'to an unknown god,' and he was distressed to see the city full of idols--knowing the Greek beliefs helps us understand just what he was facing.
And then there's Acts 19:34, when the crowd shouts 'great is Artemis of the Ephesians' for about 2 hours.

What a great opportunity to see how Paul responded to these people--he didn't belittle their religion or laugh--he showed compassion, respect for the people as people, respect for their intelligence, he reached out to them...

I do think there's great literary value as well in reading & being familiar at some point during a student's education. Grade school may or may not be the time, that's ok.

Merry :-)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:48 am

RachelT wrote: More than anything, these stories of gods and goddesses that compete, get jealous, and do bad things are a great contrast with our merciful and mighty God! After reading about several of them, it is so obvious that humans made these stories up and they are nothing like our loving, awesome, miracle-working God!
and in AHL, the students will understand more and more of that when they write an argumentative essay comparing and contrasting the relationships of our God to those in the myths. It will make for some very interesting discussion at high school level when they are older.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:01 am

cbollin wrote:and in AHL, the students will understand more and more of that when they write an argumentative essay comparing and contrasting the relationships of our God to those in the myths. It will make for some very interesting discussion at high school level when they are older.

-crystal
Agreeing here. The mythology in the elementary years is very watered down to make it "fun." The high school mythology really makes our God shine.

Amy C.

CTG for next year

Unread post by Amy C. » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:13 pm

lisaha wrote:We are finishing up ECC in a few weeks and in the fall I was planning on starting CTG for our 3rd and 5th graders. My then 1st grader will be listening along.

Is there anything hard to teach a young crew? (they already know there are alot of false gods in history that the bible warns us about, and the oldest two have no problem with it, they are always saying this group or that group needs Jesus! :)). Are there good explanations as to harder subjects about the myths ex...
When reading through history, is God woven into nearly all of the history books?

Just looking ahead and hoping for some info on the next program! :) We sure enjoyed ECC, even though we streamlined some days with our new baby girl! ;) They still cover ALOT!
:)
Blessings
Hi, Lisa!
We are doing CTG and 1st this year. My older two doing CTG are 4th and 6th grade. I have a 1st grader doing MFW 1st and a 8 month old baby. I will attempt to answer your questions.

The Bible (OT) is the history spine. All other books used build on that. We have really enjoyed learning how history is truly HIStory (God's story) and how it all ties in and supports what the truth of the Bible already tells us. We have not done any extra work other than reading the advanced sections of the Bible/history reading.

As far as handling difficult topics, MFW gives heads up on things ahead of time as well as gives other verses to support building a solid foundation in which to discuss these topics. For example, before studying the Egyptian gods, MFW has you read Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:18-23 and 25, which support the fact that God is Creator of all and how His creation declares His glory and points to Him but how some have chosen to worship the created instead of the Creator. When you see the representations of the different Egyptian gods, you see that that is exactly what they did. I was very please how MFW tied all this together for us. I am also thrilled to learn alongside of my boys how each of the plagues showed how God is more powerful and trumps every one of their false gods. I mean I knew about the plagues but had never placed two and two together, that each plague proved the god that it corresponded with as false and powerless.

There are other examples where MFW gives heads ups and other scripture to point to when explaining some of the Bible reading. We just finished reading about Solomon and all his wives. MFW sets the stage for this by having us read scripture out of Deuteronomy where God explicitly tells His people not to multiply for themselves wives lest their hearts be led astray and what would happen if they turned to other gods, which Solomon did. This really helped us to see that even though Solomon was wise in many ways, he still disobeyed God and then the consequences that followed.

There were only a few verses that I either skipped or reworded because I was not sure my boys were ready for them. Of course, that will be something you will have to determine based on your children and what you think they are ready for. I would recommend looking ahead at the Bible reading to see the topic, like David and Bathsheba, for instance, and deciding how much your kiddos are ready for. We have not had "the talk" yet. That is in the horizon for this next school year (if not before) since the human body and how babies are made is covered in RTR and more importantly, since I feel my boys are very close to being ready for it. I did read the section of David and Bathsheba straight through and trusted God to help me with any discussion it brought up. No indepth discussion about that topic arose, but we did have excellent discussion about other things related to that situation.

As far as science, I have not ran across very many things I could not find or buy (very inexpensively). If we can't get all of the stuff together, we just read it and then skip the experiment. I believe that is what week 11 (which is also on the sample page says): "Remember, if you have difficulty gathering materials for science experiments, you may omit it." We are really enjoying the experiments we have done and just read about the others. I do try to make a point to include as many experiments as possible because my boys are enjoying doing the hands on with it.

As far as my 1st grader, well, I don't know that I am the best person to help with advice on combining 1st and CTG. I have a young 1st grader (late summer birthday). He sits in on Bible/history reading and read alouds. He watches and participates in what he can, like science experiments, hands-on activities, etc. Occasionally he asks to to a coloring page, mapping page, or vocab page like his brothers. If he asks, I try to find a printable coloring sheet from the internet or help him with a mapping page or print off a vocab page for him (I bought a printable version of the vocab words instead of doing index cards). Obviously, his version of the vocab word is way simplified. He writes the one or two word definition and draws a picture. If he does not ask, we move on to his 1st grade work.

CTG and 1st do compliment each other very nicely. They both cover creation and OT history, including learning the OT books of the Bible. Even though this year has been personally challenging, I have seen overlapping in my 1st grader's AWANA, his 1st grade curriculum and my older boys' CTG. My 1st grader learned Psalm 23 and the OT books of the Bible in AWANA this year, and even though my older boys had already learned these, they are reviewing them in CTG. My 1st grader is able to recite these with his brothers during Bible time in MFW. I count this as a success and am thankful that all of it is working together. It really brings joy to my heart to hear my three older boys reciting the same Bible memory. It really brings to new light the verse, Rom. 8:28, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose". Praying that God will keep working it all together for good because sometimes - no, many times - I don't have a clue how to work it all out. I'm glad to know He is in control!

OK. Way long, but there it is. The two programs do go very well together. It will be a good year for ya'll (yes, I'm from the South - the deep South). Hope some of it helps.

Amy C.

lisaha

Re: CTG for next year

Unread post by lisaha » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Thank you! I LOVED ancient history in high school! So I'm really looking forward to teaching next year, but I also learned everything through the secular public school and I wanted my children to learn the amazing things in history and science in how God works from creation on. :) God wasn't woven in history for me, there was the Bible and the text books and they were separated. I was AMAZED as I read in my 20's as to the scientific evidence that shows that the Bible stories really did happen and I want my children to learn this from the start. Faith cam first for me (which is awesome!) and then I got to read awesome things to support my faith in Jesus Christ. I want my children to be raised up in the faith and to learn how God worked from the beginning and how everything is woven in with God. Is my rambling making sense??? LOL! The children often ask me what a Bible verse means and many times I can explain it but there have been a few times in ECC I did wish that the explanations to the Bible readings were written down in the teachers manual because boy do my young children have good questions! On question we had to take to the pastor bc I was really confused! LOL! Thankfully the Lord is working in him and he is very smart! Is there some explanations to some of the Bible readings in CTG? And time wise, how much time does it take to do CTG (teacher time) by it's self, and with CTG and 1st together?

The children have enjoyed ECC and they even asked to earn money to donate for Japan, then presented a donation box they made (my DD organizing a box side per child who can draw) to a packed church! So sweet to see my 7 year old telling the church congregation about the disaster in Japan and "how there maybe children there and many houses were destroyed or broken". Brought tears to my eyes to see how they are thinking of others first...at times! LOL!