CTG - Talk me into it

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
jasntas

Re: Boy, do I want to do CTG!

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:36 pm

I just wanted to add a quick note. Both my dc are dyslexic and we are currently using CTG. This is our 3rd year using MFW. If it says advanced in the TM I skip it. If there is a summary to be done they either dictate a few lines to me and they copy or we skip it all together. We do discuss it, though. The reading does not seem to be dull to either my 5th or 2nd grader. I usually give them something to do during the reading such as color, draw, a lapbook type activity or even play dough at times. That usually helps them both to listen somehow. HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:15 pm

Stephc wrote:Are any of my reasons ones that should tell me I should not do the program? Is the whole thing just full of reading and writing so that one does not have an alternative?
I'm not really sure how to answer because I don't want to sound snooty. There's either really not that much reading in CTG or I'm doing something terribly wrong. My dd loves to write so I could be answering from a biased viewpoint, but it just doesn't seem like that much work to me. I think there's less reading in CTG than there was in ECC? Maybe because it's mostly Bible in CTG.

But if the fear of too much reading and writing is what's holding you back, I would say "go for it" based on how much reading and writing we're doing.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks so much to you all, especially for outlining the challenges you face with your children and how CtG works anyway, and for the enthusiasm and just plain encouragement. I have frankly been so knocked back off my feet by my second and third childrens' issues that it has kinda paralyzed us in just getting things done, picking programs, and knowing whether or not they will ever make any progress. They are AWESOME kids, so bright and....genius really. They learn so differently than I do and have taught me so much about true brilliance and acceptance. But schooling is still a real challenge. thanks again. :)
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
DD14, DD11, DS10, DS8, DD5, DD3, DD19 months
Using Kindy and AHL

IdahoGrown

Unread post by IdahoGrown » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 am

My post probably won't help...lol. I loved CtG!! The biblical history was so amazing and fun. We learned SO much!!

My dd was 10/11 the year we did CtG and she did fine with it. We even combined some of the readings on days when they were shorter so I could break some longer readings into two days.
Cyndi (AZ) wrote:There's either really not that much reading in CTG or I'm doing something terribly wrong.
I added in lots of extra reading to CtG. : )
Jean
Mom to dd 13 and ds 8
Hs'ing since 2004.
Using Adventures and RtR 2011-2012

Previous cores used: CtG 2010-2011

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks, Idahogrown!
One book that I know a lot of ancients programs use is Archimedes and the Door to Science, so, not knowing whether or not we would have the money for CtG, I got DD11 that book. All she can talk about is how long the chapters are. She did chapter 4 today and said "it's from pages 39 to 54!". 15 picture filled pages is NOT above her level or out of the ordinary for what I would assign for her. So, like I said, she reads well enough to tell me the general story. But I do not think she gets a lot of the details, and she does NOT enjoy reading much at all. :( So if people are adding things to CTG it might be perfect for us.
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
Using Kindy and AHL

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:16 pm

just for clarification...

Archimedes is used a science read aloud in CTG with parent doing narrations as you go along.

and of course anyone can do how they wish in a program... just thought I'd mention that?

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Oh...ok. Hmmm.....it did not seem to me to be above her ability, but now you have me thinking.....
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
Using Kindy and AHL