CTG - Talk me into it

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
sandi

CTG - Talk me into it

Unread post by sandi » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:05 pm

O.K. talk me into CTG ladies
michelle S. wrote:Hi , I,m having a terrible time deciding. We very much enjoyed E.C.C. So here is my dilemma. I can't decide whether to do ctg next or do Story of the world and just add the Bible stories/ study with my own resources. WE have lots of bible story videos, abeka flash-a-cards from my teaching S.S. which by the way he's heard many times, and other resources. For science I'm considering God's design. With the many excellent videos they sell on the subject. I plan to continue with rtr next yr. even if I don't use ctg this yr.

On the other hand I do appreciate the premade lesson plans of MFW and this yr flowed so smoothly. Oh, I don't think we will use the feasts aspect . We're just not that interested. but I do like the idea of the classical music and EFTRU.
So what do you all think?
Hi! Ctg was our favorite year!!! It is so full. We loved doing the feasts and seeing how that they are a picture. Even as an adult, I learned so much from doing them! It was my favorite part. Just trying to encourage you not to leave these out.
His Child,
Sandi

my3boys

Re: O.K. talk me into CTG ladies

Unread post by my3boys » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:24 pm

I haven't done CtG yet, we will be using it in the fall. I have looked pretty extensively through the IG though. Unless you are Jewish, there is a lot of Hebrew content that would be hard to duplicate yourself without the IG and some of the books. Most classical curriculums focus on other ancient cultures - MFW includes those too but has a focus on the Bible and the ancient Hebrews. This is the part that I am really looking forward to - there is so much that I don't know about this culture and learning about it I think will really help us understand God's Word better.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:07 pm

talking into points:
*If you enjoy pre made lesson planning..... stick with MFW.?
*uhm... at the risk of sounding wrong..... If your preference is to do history and then "add in Bible stories", maybe CTG isn't the right fit for how you want to approach it. It would take a lot of planning for me to do it. we're all different. I wouldn't do well in eclectic approach with it.

If you want Bible as spine for studying ancient history and then getting the other history within that context... well, uhm.. stick with CTG.
Have you read this link to help with how you want to approach it? Marie Hazell has 2 answers on this thread. The 2nd one is very good.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=365

maybe the resources you have would be wonderful for book basket time.Sounds like lots of fun stuff you have. It wouldn't have to go to waste.

The first time I did CTG (5 years ago), we just read about most of the feasts. They are in the context of OT stuff. We really didn't "do them" that year. It was weird. But I remember we did a really fun scaled back version of feast of booths -- play tent that we had a snack in while doing rest of school.

Science in CTG: covers more than just creation topics. You might be able to use some of the resources you have to expand or have ready for book basket reading. the rest of science in CTG is about general science as it relates to days of creation. So you get topics not just about creation and flood and Noah. You get a wide variety of topics (light, air/water, land plants seas, sun/moon/stars, people/animals, and even rest). Then there are integrated unit study science topics so you get to study Pyramids too. just another way to use the resources you have within the context and lesson planning ease of CTG.

I don't know if Lainie's schedule permits her to post as often as she used to on this board..... She maintains a really great blog
http://www.mishmashmaggie.com/search/la ... 0education

and made CTG seem like a great year for my family to look forward to. I don't know if the board rules say we can link to other people's blogs or not. (I think they say links to blogs are ok in siggy lines.... but this isn't to my blog.)

Lainie's blog is sorted by home education and other things. So I tried the link above to the stuff that is just about CTG since it is MFW stuff. Lots of really good stuff on it. They did Saturday science. They have some really cool pics up about plagues.... you have to scroll down through the home education section (just keep hitting older posts button) to see the year. I still laugh at some of those plague pictures and other things. They seemed to have a lot of fun this year.

keep praying and ask what God wants you doing.

-crystal

ssjcjensen

Unread post by ssjcjensen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:16 pm

We have not used ctg but we will start it this fall. However, we have done sotw and i didn't realize when i purchase it that the program begins with the nomads. I was sent straight into a panic because we are creation day people over here. (I was a former classical edu person following the Well Trained MInd). I did my own creation unit and then plunged in. It was good and fun. Then I found MFW. I have done 1st, ADV, and we are just finishing up ECC. I am so much more excited to go through ancients again but with a more biblical bend.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:32 pm

michelle S. wrote:So what do you all think?
Some thoughts:
- premade lesson plans are priceless in giving you more time with your child!
- music and Greek roots are excellent additions to my kids' education
- reading Bible "stories" is much different than studying Bible as a history lesson, and it's important to me that my kids see that the Bible is totally in line with secular history and is not separate or inconsistent with known facts
- it was hard for me when I tried reading SOTW-1 because the few Bible stories they presented "sounded" little different than the myths of other cultures
- we eased into the feasts, but by the spring feasts, we were totally experiencing God's preparation for Jesus, who gathered with his disciples the week of the Passover Feast, and sent His Holy Spirit for the crowds gathered for the Jewish Pentecost Feast (pente meaning 50 days after Passover), so at least "studying" (if not "celebrating") God's consistent plan was worthy for me

I personally wouldn't have a problem switching up the science, if you don't mind extra work & expense. Your science ideas may complement CTG just fine, but so do the CTG science materials :o) You might not want to skip the Pyramids science book, or the science biography...

Just adding to the conversation :)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

AudMama

Unread post by AudMama » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:46 am

cbollin wrote: If you want Bible as spine for studying ancient history and then getting the other history within that context... well, uhm.. stick with CTG.
This is exactly why I chose CTG over any other Ancients curriculum. You could always read about the feasts instead of actually doing them.
~Audrey~
dd11, ds9, ds8, ds4, ds2
http://iamaud.blogspot.com
Currently using Rome to the Reformation & Kindergarten.

michelle S.

Unread post by michelle S. » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Thank you all for your comments. I think I will go ahead with CTG. Thankyou Crystal for your link to mishmash maggie that was helpful. Idon't know why I'm resisting ctg except i'm afraid by the look of the resources online that it might be kind of boring. I hate to spend all my resource money and end up having a boring yr. But your posts helped. and somehow deep down I just feel like staying with MFW and doing CTG is just the RIght thing to do. I have prayed extencively about this. I also have listened to david hazels cd's and respect the value's that our behind the curriculum. I geuss I just have to trust that this yr will be as good as last yrs.
So as soon as we have the funds I will be ordering.
Quick Question. Did you all like God and the history of art?
Would you deffinitly reccomend doing it ?
Or is the arts and crafts in the program plenty. I will tell you we really had a hard time getting to the global art projects in E.C.C even though they were great. But we also had a tough yr in our famly. We will also be doing MFW K and PK music lessons, kindermusic , spanish, boyscouts and co-op one day a week.
OH, by the way we also use learning language arts through lit. I noticed someone else posted that.
Thanks!

bunnytracks

Unread post by bunnytracks » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:53 pm

we really enjoy God and the History of Art over here. The progam is spendy but it is used for 4 years. When you break it down it isn't really that much. The lessons are all planned intot TM and go along with the topic. If you have the funds I would definately purchase it.
Proud wife 14 years to my Air Force man.
Homeschooling mom of 5 (4 boys and 1 girl)
I have used MFW ADV, ECC, and K

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:25 am

Studying and participating in the feasts was an awesome experience for our family! Enjoy!
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:07 am

michelle S. wrote: Quick Question. Did you all like God and the history of art?
Would you deffinitly reccomend doing it ?
Or is the arts and crafts in the program plenty.
The art in ECC was definitely arts & crafts, with a flavor for the culture of each country.

The art in God and the History of Art is different. It covers two things:
1. Art technique in drawing and painting (painting doesn't start until towards the end of CTG).
2. Art history, which is a piece of the history and culture as you study each time period.

We haven't used a lot of #1, but I really value #2. The fact that Egyptian art wasn't signed and was supposed to look exactly like a model says something about the times. And learning that both feet have the big toe on the same side was funny :) Learning that Greek art tried to make the human look real and even more perfect than reality was a big contrast with Egypt and again added to the understanding of history.

In more modern times, your kids will become familiar with many famous pieces of art. There will also be one or two interesting "art discussions" each year. We just did one on why Jesus has been portrayed in different ways over time.

I value GHA even though ds doesn't do much of the drawing & painting.
Julie

cbollin

CTG Concerns

Unread post by cbollin » Sun May 09, 2010 12:45 pm

sojen wrote:Well, we just finished up ECC and I loved it! We had a fantastic year.

But now I am thinking ahead to next year, and I have to admit I am not as excited about CTG as I have been other MFW programs. So I need you wonderful ladies to encourage me a bit. :)

I don't feel excited about studying Ancient History. Just being honest. I've never really studied it in depth myself so I feel kind of lost/unmotivated by the topic. I guess I need assurance of why it's important. I love the idea of the history cycle, but can we just pretend it all started in Rome. ;) I'm kidding.
It's important because we have a book called the Bible and we need to understand Old Testament and the journey of God's people. Other than that, I'm not a big fan of ancients either. I like studying a bit on Egypt, but you know.... Don't think of CTG as ancients, but all about the story of God's people....

-crystal

s_duguid

Re: CTG Concerns

Unread post by s_duguid » Sun May 09, 2010 1:22 pm

I am so sold on the 4-year cycle. It just makes sense to see how history has impacted future generations, and I am really excited when we get to the US history part that it will be interweaved with world history. As an American, I didn't have much if any world history until high school and I thought that America must be the most important because that is what we studied the most. But in retrospect, America is so young and although we may have made our impact on the world, the rest of the world has had major impacts on us.

CtG is a wonderful program. Egyptian history, for example, is a relatively long time span, but it is fascinating to think of the achievements they made especially architecturally so long ago. Greek history still has repercussions on today. History builds on itself and one wonders why we don't learn from the past and why we repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Thinking specifically about the Israelites. Why is it a recurring theme that no matter how many times God showed mercy and then justice that the Israelites went back to worshipping idols and being influenced by the cultures around them? It makes me think what do I do that can be considered an idol, how am I letting culture influence me, and what am I doing to instruct and model to my children so that they will want to follow God whole-heartedly when they leave the home? If you can't tell, we have learned many life lessons as we studied ancient history this year.
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm not sure if this will be an encouragement or not, but I'll let you know why I'm excited to do CtG next year. I absolutely love the idea of studying history from the beginning, of seeing it all as HIS-story. I love that I'll be able to connect everything we study with God's Word and show that link to my kids from the very beginning. I love the idea that they get to grow up knowing God's story and how it relates to history that we study in school. I love that we get to learn more in depth about the Biblical feasts and the religion that Jesus practiced. And I love that everything we'll learn shows how God had HIS-story planned from the absolute beginning of time. I'm excited about the read-alouds - they look fabulous. And I've heard such great things about Archimedes and the pyramids, and I'm loving the idea of Genesis for Kids. Though honestly, I'm not one to stress over whether something is "weighty" enough for a certain grade because we add or subtract as much as we like since we school at home. My kids will search out their own books at the library or online when they want to learn something. My 6yo ds is somewhat of a genius when it comes to animal knowledge. He'll spout out some fact that we all question, then pull out the animal encyclopedia to show us where he read it. It is easier to teach something when you are excited about it, but I've been blessed to not have that problem because I am just so in love with MFW and with homeschooling that I honestly am excited about it all. I feel like it is about 50% for me and 50% for my kids. Maybe a little more for me. :-) Anyway, I'm sure there are many more ideas out there how to make it more fun if you feel it's getting dull. Don't forget to post to get some encouragement and also call MFW with concerns. I know the staff there is always ready to explain and encourage.

Anyway, I hope that as you get into the program you will get excited about it and that your excitement will be contagious to your kids. Personally, I am chomping at the bit to start NOW, but I don't even have the stuff yet. And even when I get it, I won't start till August. I'm going to have to rein myself in!!!
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun May 09, 2010 4:05 pm

Let me say I didn't like history in high school. Didn't enjoy it a bit. I avoided it as much as possible :) In fact, I think I pretty much have only covered US history and just a tiny bit of the Rome to the Reformation time period in all my schooling. (I think that was part of it - too much US History in the younger grades: lived in Utah - got Utah history, which includes Texas and Colorado; moved to Texas, got Texas history, which includes Utah and Colorado; moved to Colorado, got Colorado history, which includes Texas and Utah. There's only so many times that you can recite what the 3 G's are before your brain goes numb.)

That said, we are just finishing up CTG (have 9 more days of curriculum to go), and it has been a wonderful year. I have learned so much. It has been so neat learning how civilizations developed, some in parallel, some with similar paths even though they knew nothing of the others. It has been fascinating learning about Greek culture and where we get many of our ideas of government. Seeing God's hand on it all through, too, is amazing. I really like the Streams of Civilization book. My dd actually enjoys the "advanced" readings, so we do those too. (I've occasionally had to reword a passage on the fly as I realize it talks about something she would be ultra sensitive to, but not very often.)

Genesis for Kids was okay. We didn't do every experiment. Several times, our experiments just failed (you can check out my blog link in my signature to see those). But, my kids, even my K boys, enjoyed doing them. The Pyramid study at the beginning of the year was fun. We are enjoying Archimedes now, but not really doing any of the experiments (and some of them we already did in Genesis for Kids).

The read alouds at the beginning of the year were wonderful. I wouldn't trade those in for anything. I got The Children's Homer audio book (make sure you check out iTunes vs. Audibles vs. other places for price) and we just used that. When we got to the end, we finished the last 5 days in one day because we just had to know how it all turned out. :) And we're enjoying Aesop's Fables here at the end, especially when something either in real life or in history corresponds to the point of the fable.

God and the History of Art has been good as well. My dd didn't always like the lessons, but I see her doing things in her own drawing that she learned from it. (I would recommend getting the Draw and Write Through History books to supplement - it teaches step by step how to draw certain things from history. I wish I had gotten them at the beginning of the year to make better notebook page drawings.) The Art History we have learned from the book has been good.

I love classical music, and I like exposing my kids to it a little at a time. So, we've enjoyed learning about the musicians and listening to their music.

One of the great things I have discovered in this journey of home schooling is how much I get to learn right along with my kids - whether it has been learning phonics rules and spelling rules (I know how to read and spell, I just never knew the rules), or where in the grand history of the Earth the story of Esther falls.

Anyway, CTG definitely has a different flavor than ECC, but it's more like rocky road ice cream vs. chocolate ice cream rather than rocky road ice cream vs. brussel sprouts :-) .

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

sojen

Unread post by sojen » Sun May 09, 2010 6:51 pm

Thank you ladies for your wonderful responses. There were lots of great ideas mentioned. I think I will be more excited when I actually get my hands on the stuff, which won't be until July.
TriciaMR wrote:Anyway, CTG definitely has a different flavor than ECC, but it's more like rocky road ice cream vs. chocolate ice cream rather than rocky road ice cream vs. brussel sprouts :-) .
Love how you said this! It's not that I wanted brussel spouts, I just didn't want chocolate. :-) However, this analogy is not quite right since I am a salty snacker instead of a sweet :-) It's more like popcorn or roasted pecans. Wow, I am suddenly hungry!

Mamacastle, your enthusiasm is contagious. I need to go back to those days when I had not even heard about MFW and how boring curriculum looked. Oh ho hum another workbook, arghhh! In comparison to those day I am super excited!
s_duguid wrote:If you can't tell, we have learned many life lessons as we studied ancient history this year.
Thank you for pointing this out. I forgot for a moment how much some of their lessons impact me. And Happy Mother's Day to you too!
cbollin wrote:let's try that encouraging thing.
Crystal, you are such an encouragement. Thank you for all the time you spend helping others along!
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Sun May 09, 2010 7:51 pm

We are doing CtG this year with my 10yo fifth grader. My 6 and 8yos were doing First, but they sat in on Bible, read-alouds (we also added quite a few extra read-alouds at their level), Biblical Feasts, notebooking. The little ones haven't been that interested in the history part - if I were not doing First with them I think they would have benefitted from CHOW or SOTW1 (or maybe the SOTW CD). My oldest and I have loved the study of history though - it really will help you understand the Bible so much better. My ds loves fantasy stories and so mythology and Troy have been very fun for him to learn about.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Mon May 10, 2010 11:34 am

Didn't have time to read all the posts. But, just to encourage you, we loved CTG, and we really loved ECC. I can remember wondering if CTG could be as good, and it was, but just in different ways. My kids have always devoured the MFW history in the way it is presented. I think chronological history combined with the Bible is an awesome way to teach! Don't forget you will be doing the feasts along with this cycle, which will bring a richness and relevance to your Bible/History lessons as well.

I am the opposite of you, I always wanted to avoid American History. I think it's because that's the only thing I studied in school - over and over again, I might add. So I thought Boring- with a capital B. I was always anxious to get into Ancient History and was glad that MFW started with that. We have done American History finally this year, and I love the way MFW has presented it. I have such a better understanding and appreciation of the founding of our country. So hopefully, MFW will be able to do the same for you in the Ancient History dept.

Because of when we started MFW, my daughter will not get formal US History until 11th grade. Talk about late! :~ She would have gotten some in 8th grade, but we got stuck in RTR for 2 years, because of health issues. I'm not too worried about it. I know she has picked up quite a bit from family discussions and living in our culture. Plus, I'm sure MFW will do a great job with it in high school. She will know it better than I did when I graduated, of that I am sure!
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

Julie in MN

skip CTG?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:23 pm

fdjoyce wrote:My family started the 5 year cycle this past school year with ECC & loved it. As we look forward to next year we are considering skipping Creation to Greeks because we have studied that time period quite extensively- basically for 2 years before ECC. Anyone done that? Any thoughts/suggestions/regrets/problems?

Thanks
It's just fine to skip CTG if you've done it already. You didn't say what ages you have, but if your oldest is at least in 4th, it should be just fine.

My only caution is that many folks who do "the ancients" don't do "Biblical ancients." MFW's method of studying the ancients really immerses kids in the Biblical world. I'd especially make sure that your kids have a foundation in creation and the fall of man, as the reason for all the problems in history. If not, you might spend a couple of weeks on that before RTR?

Julie

RachelT

Re: skip CTG?

Unread post by RachelT » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Well, I can see why you might not want to study Creation again and move onto other periods of history. Now that we are almost done with Week 29 of CtG, I can totally agree with the other post that the MFW study of history focuses on Biblical history and then shows other cultures around it. What I mean is that all of our Bible reading and history lessons always point us back to God. We are not just studying ancient cultures, but we are studying them in relation to their significance during Biblical history. I am so glad that we did ECC last year, it really prepared us for the study of ancient history and now I am really glad that we started this part of the cycle with the ancients. We have studied "Bible history" in MFW 1st grade and our own Bible reading, but CtG is different and more in-depth.

Even if you skip CtG, it looks like RtR is a great study on the New Testament era and so that will still give lots of rich, depth to the study of New Testament times.

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

asheslawson

Boy, do I want to do CTG!

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Stephc wrote:I decided against it because my three middles have a hard time with lots of reading (even being read to), writing, and anything dry. But *i* want to do CTG. lol. Are any of my reasons ones that should tell me I should not do the program? Is the whole thing just full of reading and writing so that one does not have an alternative?
We probably spend up to an hour a day reading bible & history - but sometimes that is because we have really enjoyed our study of the old testament and we break into many discussions.

Writing can be pared down or up - for instance - we are working on memorizing Psalm 1 right now - and the copywork is just one verse from Psalm 1 and then the next week, the next verse, etc.... However - I am pushing my son to write more - and he is beginning to seem to enjoy writing and not fight it like he used to - so several weeks I have had him write the entire Psalm (for writing practice & to help him memorize it easier).

I 'tweak' all the time to suit the individual needs of my kiddos - that is something I love about this. Sometimes there are pages in which the student is asked to summarize the bible story and add it to the history notebook, but then again, your individual requirements for this can be very fine tuned to your children. Hope that helps....
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

MelissaM

Re: Boy, do I want to do CTG!

Unread post by MelissaM » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:03 am

Oh, there is a fair amount of reading, but we haven't found it dry. Lots of (pretty simple for mom) hands-on projects keep it really engaging and fun.

MFW has a 30-day return policy; you could get it, look it all over and decide?

Hugs - decisions are so hard!
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:51 am

We did the Bible reading in the evening as a family. We also did some of the activities in the evening, like reenacting the 10 plagues and building the booth. That made our history days much lighter and made our dad time much richer :). Some very special memories there.
Julie

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:19 am

Thanks for your replies!
I might just try it and see. I have a child whom I believe is dyslexic and am trying to remediate, and one son who has Asperger's and fine motor control that goes along with it. So writing is just one of those humps we just can't seem to get over. Attention and comprehension issues with reading necessitate keeping it short. But thy might really enjoy the hands on stuff enough that they want to learn a little about the history. We'll see. :)
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
DD14, DD11, DS10, DS8, DD5, DD3, DD19 months
Using Kindy and AHL

momma2boys

Unread post by momma2boys » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:47 am

Stephanie,

Just my 2 cents -

We are currently doing CTG and are really enjoying it. My oldest has Asperger's and we've had no problems with the MFW portion of our school day. He definitely has a short attention span, but as long as we break up the reading and written work, he does fine. We haven't found it to be dry at all. He has fine motor skill issues as well, so I pick and choose what he writes, what he narrates, what he types and even what I write for him sometimes . As long as he's learning the material, right? :)
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:55 pm

I would say the main part of your reading in CTG comes from the Bible. To help with the reading of that, you could always get an audio Bible and listen to it as you all follow along. The readings in Ancient World and Streams are really supplementary, and usually are not very long. As another person said, we don't find the reading dry at all. It is quite interesting. Of course, there are also the read-aloud books, but those have been phenomenal. We just started the Children's Homer today, and it could be because my dd is really into Greek mythology, but that was interesting, too. :-) Also, if you break up the readings throughout the day, it tends to go much better. We do our Bible and David C. Cook reading first. We do our other history reading later in the day, usually after lunch. We usually end our day with the read-aloud book. There's lots of ways to do it. But, CTG is all about the Bible! That is the main part of your reading. My dds and I have wonderful discussions during and after our Bible readings each morning.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy