EFRU - Help with specific words / possible errors

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
CharleneHoell

EFRU - Help with specific words / possible errors

Unread post by CharleneHoell » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:53 am

Error Correction - Sauros

Hi, At this moment, we are trying to do our "sauros" vocabulary card. My oldest son is questioning the EFTRU book and I tend to agree with him. The greek root stego does mean roof, but they have the meaning of stegosaurus as a lizard with a shell on his back. They have the meaning of ankylo as crooked or bent and the meaning of ankylosaurus as a lizard with bony plates sticking out of its neck. My son thinks they got these definitions mixed up...not the root meanings, but the definitions of the whole word. Even when you look at a picture of a stegosaurus you can see that it is a dinosaur with bony plates coming out of its neck. So, can anyone help here? Thanks! :)
Married to a wonderful husband for 18 yrs
Daughter of the King!
Been loving MFW for 8 years!
Ds 10th grade
Ds 8th grade
Dd 5th grade
Ds 2nd grade

cbollin

Re: Error Correction - Sauros

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:15 am

well.. we did that word several weeks ago. but we didn't even cover those definitions because we were visiting the creation museum and also reading Dinosaurs of Eden and just picked stuff we liked from there....

this should be fun for me....
It's always possible that the publisher of EFTRU had a publishing typo and wasn't caught. That happens sometimes. now I'm looking at the book.... and cross referencing on dictionary .com

stego means roof on both of them....dictionary.com has the definition of stegosauras close to the definition of ankylosaurus
Greek ankulos, crooked, bent + Greek sauros, lizard. and def is closed to a dinosaur with an armored body and clubbed tail.

sounds like they just didn't catch their own mistake on switching it in EFTRU. that happens. sounds like your son caught it. good work! wahoo!

-crystal

CharleneHoell

Re: Error Correction - Sauros

Unread post by CharleneHoell » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:44 am

My son...doing the little happy dance with his fist up in the air. It's nice being correct when you are 10! :) Thanks Crystal! I had tried to do a web search myself and was not coming up with alot! ;)
Daughter of the King!
Ds 10th grade
Ds 8th grade
Dd 5th grade
Ds 2nd grade

cbollin

EFTRU, Logos, question

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:49 am

We on the Logos in the Greek section.

one of the words in the word list is Legend.

From all of my research on this week on the origin of Legend, I am not finding a connection to the root word of "logos" for the word legend. So, can anyone figure out why legend is on the list? I know on some of the pages there are extra words that get defined on the list because of reasons other than directly related to the root word and usually they give a note to explain that. (example is on Skopeo where the word Bishop shows up as it related to being an over "seer" and they explain that connection.....)

So, does anyone has an inkling why Legend is on the Logos list? I don't.

p.s. I did "scratch it off" the list and didn't worry about it for school time. I'm just curious for me. :)

-crystal

CharleneHoell

Re: EFTRU, Logos, question

Unread post by CharleneHoell » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Crystal, I love words so this piqued my interest and we will be on this word in a few weeks. Like you, I did not come up with much in my research, but thinking out loud here...

Could it because legends are told stories (thus involving words) that are passed down orally? That was my first inclination to your question. Hope you get a better response. I'll need help on this one too.

Many blessings,
Charlene
Daughter of the King!
Ds 10th grade
Ds 8th grade
Dd 5th grade
Ds 2nd grade

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Charlene,

I thought that same line of reasong too... but the dictionary says legend is from Old French via Latin, "legere", which is Latin for "to read, gather or select".

however it did get me to "study" the etymoLOGY of the word legend..... :) maybe that was the purpose of it? LOL.

oh well... the washer is done....
-crystal

mom27dc

Unread post by mom27dc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi Crystal,

Its been a long time since I have posted anything, but I always love a good mystery and couldn't resist trying to figure this one out. When I looked up the word "logos" I found that it is derived from the greek word "legein" ( to speak) and the Proto-Indo-European root word "leg" ( to collect, speak). "Legend" is derived from the French word "legende", the Latin word "legenda" which is derived from the Latin word "legere" ( to read, gather, collect), which is derved from "legein" ( to speak) and "leg" ( to collect, speak). So apparently both logos and legend come from the same source. I think maybe that is what EFTRU was trying to say in their explanation under "extra words" ??

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:14 pm

mom27dc wrote:Hi Crystal,

Its been a long time since I have posted anything, but I always love a good mystery and couldn't resist trying to figure this one out. When I looked up the word "logos" I found that it is derived from the greek word "legein" ( to speak) and the Proto-Indo-European root word "leg" ( to collect, speak). "Legend" is derived from the French word "legende", the Latin word "legenda" which is derived from the Latin word "legere" ( to read, gather, collect), which is derved from "legein" ( to speak) and "leg" ( to collect, speak). So apparently both logos and legend come from the same source. I think maybe that is what EFTRU was trying to say in their explanation under "extra words" ??

8)

Thank you.

That would solve that.

-crystal