Composer Study - Reviews of CTG music

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Julie in MN

Composer Study - Reviews of CTG music

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:27 pm

CharleneHoell wrote:Thirdly, do you find the music in CtG worth the time and effort since it is scheduled into the weekly plan?
We very much enjoy the music because -
- it livens up our day
- it's an "easy" subject
- there's just enough information in the biography CD and the teacher manual, and not too much
- in CTG, we did some fun art alongside Vivaldi's "4 Seasons" (dd framed one of hers)
- in EX1850, you review the composers again during the historical period they actually lived, so you get some more mileage / review
- in Minnesota, there is a wonderful school program through the Minnesota Orchestra, so we've been able to see many of the pieces performed
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

Classical music approach

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 am

sarah05 wrote:Hello, I was wondering if anyone could explain to me if there is any rhyme and reason to the sequence and choices made for what classical composers are studied in the 4 year cycle?

We are getting ready to do C to G so we did the Intro the Orchestra/ Peter and the Wolf and Tchaikovsky. I am trying to decide whether to buy the classical collection they recommend for C to G or find something different that goes in some type of order. I am ignorant about classical music and I just think it would make a lot of sense to me if it went in chronological order or related in some way to the other materials. I mean of course I understand there's no such thing as ancient classical music, but I didn't know if they chose the composers they did in each year for a certain reason and if we will place the composers in any type of order at some point.
Hi Sarah,
Your question made me curious (and I felt possibly responsible, since I mentioned in a recent post that the composers weren't related to ancient history in CTG), so I dug out my CTG manual and got out my EX1850 guide as well, to see what's what.

CTG starts with Vivaldi, Bach, and Handel because those are the earliest of the famous composers studied in MFW. After that, each year moves forward in time. So, yes, the composers and their music are studied chronologically, which helps students see the development of music. I think the idea is that by limiting the study to three composers per year, there is time for kids to become comfortable and familiar with each composer's style. I know that over the years, my son learned that he preferred some composers more than others - they were no longer all the same to him.

Notes in the CTG manual do briefly introduce the Baroque period in art, architecture, and music. Sometimes there are notes about specific pieces or things to listen for.

And then there is a review in EX1850, during the time frame when the music was actually written...

In week 7 of EX1850, when studying the 1600s, Marie tells students they are going to stop their study of the current composer and look at the big picture. She explains the MFW music that students have studied over the past several years has covered four periods of music. She has students place paper strips on their timeline for those 4 periods. Then she says that since they are now studying history in the 1600s, they will put the Baroque composers on the Baroque paper strip for 1600-1750 (Vivaldi, Handel, Bach - the CTG composers). She suggests a few Vivaldi pieces that students might re-listen to that week (and Bach in week 8 and Handel in week 15).

We really got into the review during eX1850 and I posted some of the things we did on the Ideas board. For instance: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 200#p34200

Does that help?
Julie
sarah05 wrote:Ok that helps! Thank you
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs