EFRU - Dictionary ?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
doubleportion

EFRU - Dictionary ?

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:52 pm

NJCheryl wrote:Does anyone have a suggestion for what dictionary they use, particulary for CTG. We started CTG today. I see tomorrow they are supposed to look up the derivative from biblios. We have a children's dictionary and the only word it has from the list is Bible. I also have an old Websters scrabble dictionary and none of the words are in there. I know we can look them up online, but I really want them to work on their dictionary skills. Any ideas?

Cheryl
We did find that the children's dictionary was hit or miss on the words. We have just ended up using a Websters New World Dictionary most of the time. I think it is from one of our college years ;)

Edie

BTW- my dd is 4th grade, so I am choosing one or two words from each root word list.

TriciaMR

Re: Dictionary ?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:42 pm

You'll probably want at least a Collegiate level dictionary. I have one left over from college that we use that works for 98% of the words in EFTRU.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi! We did that today and only looked up the definition of the word "book". I explained the whole idea from EFRU about how a "definition" is a border or frame around a word, defining what it is and what it isn't and a "derivative" come frome "de" and a Latin word meaning "river" or "stream", so it's a word that came much later in another language. We did not look up "Bible" even though that is the other word on the back of their cards. I am just using a Children's Dictionary/Thesaurus from DK that also has synonyms listed for a lot of words. I also have a Collegiate one from when I went to college, but I'm sure you can look things up on line if you don't have one of those right now.

Like Edie, we are using only one or two root words and for this first card I just chose "Bible".
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:41 pm

I think it depends on how detailed you want to get. My best advice for dictionary shopping is to jot down some things that you didn't find in the dictionary you already have, and then go to a bookstore and look those things up in different dictionaries.

The dictionaries with the most info will have definitions that are harder for kids to understand. And some words just won't be in an abridged dictionary because they have been taken out to put in a medical dictionary or other specialized dictionary.

Here are some past posts about one of my favorite topics -- dictionaries :)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 55&start=0
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs