Bible - Memory work ideas

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
mdfriederich

Bible - Memory work ideas

Unread post by mdfriederich » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:01 am

We are beginning week 7 of CTG. I am enjoying learning this part of history! And Dad is helping by reading the Bible (gotta love Dad being involved).

One FUN thing we are doing with the Bible verses is jumproping to them in our living room; it is a hoot, especially when the 7-year old tries and falls down in hysterics. :-)

We're learning here and having some fun along the way.

Diana in IL

cbollin

CTG Memory work question

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:24 am

doubleportion wrote:Have any of you done CTG and had a dc who memorized the verses faster than the schedule? My dd is in week 17 of CTG and memorized the entire Psalm 23 already. She basically knew it mostly before she was six yrs old, so this was just a refresher for her. Does anyone have suggestions on what to fill in for the rest of the four weeks? Psalm 23 is worked on from week 16-20 and we are in week 17. Ideas, experiences etc?

Edie
My oldest remembered Psalm 23 when she did ctg the 2nd time. So, we just did Psalm 100 as extra. and she worked a bit helping youngest sis with proverbs from mfw 1st grade.

-crystal

mamacastle2

Re: CTG Memory work question

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:05 pm

We are adding in verses from our weekly, outside Bible study. Or others use Awana verses. You can also just pick verses for character traits (we've memorized Matthew 7:12, Ephesians 6:1, 1 Thess. 5:16, etc.) in order to help our character growth. Go back over verses memorized from ECC, Adventures, and 1st for a good review, too.

Blessings,
Jeanne
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:08 pm

cbollin wrote: we just did Psalm 100 as extra.
Great idea! I will add it in.

I just mentioned Psalm 100 to my daughter she promptly recited it to me in its entirety. Oh well so much for that.

I like the entire psalm memorization thing, just have to find something she doesn't already do.
mamacastle2 wrote:We are adding in verses from our weekly, outside Bible study. Or others use Awana verses. You can also just pick verses for character traits (we've memorized Matthew 7:12, Ephesians 6:1, 1 Thess. 5:16, etc.) in order to help our character growth.
Those are so simple for my dd. She always knows her verses for Sunday school and I never work with her on them. We don't do Awana.

I think I just need to find something more challenging for her. Psalm 119? LOL

She has an incredible gift for memorization. Wish I had it too. She is auditory and if she reads it out loud or hears it sung she knows it really quickly. Memory work in PLL & ILL has always been pretty easy for her (I have to look at the book). Guess it is not a bad problem to have.....

:)
Edie

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:44 pm

I've actually heard someone recite like half of Ps. 119 from memory. It's pretty inspiring... :)

How about Psalm 139? I really like that one.

Or even Psalm 19? Psalm 40?

I highlight in my Bible, and those are 3 that are almost completely highlighted.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:09 pm

I remember hearing that monks in the renaissance used to memorize the whole book of psalms. Anyone else ever heard that, or am I going crazy??? But I think it was a little easier because it was mostly all set to music. And repetitive.

Ooh, how about the Bible Bee? Have you heard of that? Kids memorize whole portions of Scripture. I have friends that do it who have children that are good memorizers like yours. The website is www.biblebee.org. Even if you didn't want to participate, maybe there are resources there that your daughter could use?
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:28 pm

doubleportion wrote:I think I just need to find something more challenging for her. Psalm 119? LOL
hee hee heee heee..... heee... that could work ;)

one of the writing assignments in AHL is to write original psalms?
mamacastle2 wrote:I remember hearing that monks in the renaissance used to memorize the whole book of psalms. Anyone else ever heard that, or am I going crazy??? But I think it was a little easier because it was mostly all set to music. And repetitive.
Well, I have no idea about monks in the renaissance, but I have friends who attend Reformed Pres. churches where on Sundays they only sing from the book of Psalms. I liked when we'd have our homeschool meetings there and open with Psalm 78:1-7. It's such as " generational homeschooling psalm" and then hear them sing it (with only vocals as instruments because that's the style they do). That was neat variation on singing style and which songs to sing.

-crystal

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:53 pm

TriciaMR wrote: How about Psalm 139? I really like that one. -Trish
That is the one I ended up going with!

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. That should keep her busy for the next four weeks. I know we will have to fill in another long scripture once she finishes with Psalm 1. I am sure it will not take her six weeks for that one either.

:)
Edie