Updates - Minor changes, versions

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
Julie - Staff

Updates - Minor changes, versions

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:09 pm

Upgrade information summarized from the MFW website:

If you own an older edition of Rome to the Reformation, consider upgrading to the current edition. The core of the program has not changed, but several books have been revised.

In 2016, Streams of Civilization and Exploring Creation with Astronomy were revised, with new color illustrations, minor text edits, and new page numbers.

You may exchange your Rome to the Reformation Teacher's Manual for the current edition for $45. Please call our office at 573-202-2000 to request the upgrade exchange; we'll explain how to return your Teacher's Manual to our office.
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/11/Rom ... n/#Upgrade

Additional information summarized from Message Board conversations over the years:
All RTR manuals are copyright 2004. The print date at the bottom of your Teacher's Manual copyright page will help you see where your particular copy fits with these changes.

1. Teacher's Manuals went to second edition when the Student Sheets were taken out of the appendix in 2010. In 2013, Teacher's Manual covers were changed to reflect the Discover/Investigate/Declare stages. Print dates will give you the best idea of whether the page numbers in your Manual will match the page numbers in various books used in RTR which may be changed by publishers at various times.

2. Student Sheets improvements in 2010 included a colorful cover page for the student's history notebook, notebook pages listing memory verse for the year, cleaned-up print face, and several things printed on cardstock (books of the Bible game, another game, and Shakespeare theater pages). 

3. First Encyclopedia of the Human Body: This replaced How Your Body Works (Usborne book by Judy Hindley & Colin King) in 2007, which went out of print for about seven years.

4. Story of the World: This went to a 2nd or Revised edition in 2007, with additional maps added to several chapters but chapter numbers remained the same.

5. Medieval World: This is now internet-linked. Page numbers did change.

6. In 2012, Make a Castle was created by My Father's World to make the project easier.

7. In 2014, some of the CDs went out of print and were reissued by My Father's World with different covers. One originally had a booklet that is no longer needed. The tracks are the same. (One CD also changed in 2008.)

8. In 2016, Streams of Civilization and Exploring Creation with Astronomy were revised, with new color illustrations, minor text edits, and new page numbers. The new Streams book was added free to RTR packages for families who had purchased the old Streams with CTG the previous year, since new page numbers were included in Teacher's Manuals.

9. In 2017, Lesson numbers for LLFT were added to the English boxes in the Teacher's Manual.

Christina in MN

Update - Human Body

Unread post by Christina in MN » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:24 pm

I am using RtR and we have loved the "Usborne internet-linked First Encyclopedia of the Human Body." I believe they used this to replace "How Your Body Works," which had gone out of print. I like what they used as a substitute really well. It was also all redone in the TM. They seem to be very on top of things which sure is nice!!

Blessings,
Christina
Wife to Peter, Mama to Rebecca (13), Sarah (9), Hannah (7), Noah (4), Jonah (2) and ?

cbollin

What other changes in RTR?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:01 am

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:05 am
Depending how old of a manual you have, there is a slight possibility that the Mozart CD's aren't the same. If your manual mentions a 2 Cd collection for Best of Mozart (red and brown ones), that's what you want to use. If you manual doesn't mention about a red/brown best of mozart -- you can still use the 2 CD collection.

oh wait a minute ---- Story of the World volume 2 did an update, didn't it? MFW would have changed page numbers in manual to match SOTW editions.

-crystal

cbollin

RTR--the second time

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:31 am

Susan on the Space Coast wrote:A lot has changed in four years since I did RTR the last time. All 3 of my kids are old enough to do the work (3rd, 5th and 8th); and Pluto is no longer a planet!

I've been looking up the books for book basket (I now have a DS interested in Science and a DD an avid reader) and realize that since my TM was purchased in 2004, the book list may have changed. Are there different books listed in the TM now? I haven't heard of an updated list--just wondering.

If anyone's found some great books, I'd like to know, too.
I know when I used ECC in 2003 and then bought a new manual in 2008 that there were some minor changes on some of the book basket lists. and I mean minor. When you're talking 300+ books, it takes a real wacko like me to notice that one or two of them were different. It's not like the books that were left out were bad, so it's all good. My guess is that with RTR from 2004 to 2009 is probably going to be same thing. Any book basket changes would be so minor that it probably would not be noticed.

if you get a new manual for RTR, you will need to get some new books for this current edition as some of the package books have changed: SOTW vol. 2 is a newer edition than what you did 5 years ago, How Your body Works is no longer in print and was replaced (check the catalog...whatever). I don't know if any of the other books were updated. (wait for the new catalog and check.) But as you know, when a book updates and it changes the page numbers, MFW gets the TM changed to reflect that. So you either go with what you did 5 years ago, or ask them at convention which books might need to picked up with a newer TM.

I'm guessing what you are really asking is: does anyone know of some current books that don't list Pluto as a planet? Or does the new TM reflect that? Well, you might want to find an internet article on the Pluto thing and print it and put it in the Astronomy book.

Well, I'm sure someone out there somewhere has the most recent version of RTR, but they may not be able to compare it to what you have.

-crystal

Lucy

Re: RTR--the second time

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:18 am

Hi Susan!!

Good to "see" you too!

RTR as not had any major changes in the book basket list. It would be minor as Crystal mentioned. If you still have all of the books that came with your first manual then in my opinion you are good to go and do not need a new manual. Several books I can think of have either gone out of print (which means another book replaced the old one) or have been republished with minor changes (if any) to content.

An example is Medieval World. It is an internet linked book now and the page numbers have changed, but the content is not really changed. So if you buy the new book you will need the new manual. Otherwise the manual you have will work with the books you have.

I agree with Crystal about the Pluto information too. It is an obvious change that you can easily discuss when you get to that part in the study of planets.

Hope that helps as you try to decide what to you want to do.

Blessing,
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

LSH in MS

Re: RTR--the second time

Unread post by LSH in MS » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:34 pm

If I remember correctly, in the Pluto chapter there is discussion about whether Pluto is a planet or not as well as a writing assignment to choose a side of the argument and defend it.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Julie in MN

SOTW Vol. 2 with RtR first edition?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am

ncmom2boys wrote:I ordered the TM for RtR. We plan to start next week. The SOTW book I have is the first edition. I know that the page numbers do not align, but is the content the same in both the 2003 edition and the newest edition? If so, there will not be an issue with me using this book, right? I will just look in the contents to read our history for that day - no biggie. Anyone else have to do this? Or should I go out and purchase the newest version of SOTW vol 2?
I've never seen SOTW 2nd edition, but every online conversation I've read says that there are basically no text changes, but mostly maps & stuff. I've never understood it, honestly. But we've always used 1st edition and we've liked it :)

What I mostly wanted to say is that RTR will schedule SOTW by chapter, or actually half-chapter, since each chapter includes two subheadings. The chapter "number" isn't given, but it's a very clear, complete section that is read each day, not random pages. So I think it would be easy to match up. We've used the CDs, which of course don't have page numbers :) , and it was easy to match up to my MFW manuals. So it won't be like some books where you have to find various pages here & there. It should be easy enough to find the correct chapter?

Julie
Last edited by Julie in MN on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4Truth

Re: SOTW Vol. 2 with RtR first edition?

Unread post by 4Truth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 am

We used the first edition of SOTW with RTR. Julie's right, they're assigned by chapter, well, I think the TM does include a page #, but it doesn't matter because it also includes chapter title. So no problem. :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

dhudson

RTR 1st or 2nd edition

Unread post by dhudson » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:19 pm

microcarter wrote:We will be doing RTR in the fall and I am just wondering what are the benefits of RTR 2nd edition versus 1st edition? It seems to me that if you're doing it with more than one child then the 1st edition would be more cost effective. You wouldn't have to buy extra student pages, right? Are the student pages that much different/better than the appendix in the 1st editions?
If you buy the first edition the student pages are included in the TM but you have to copy them for each child. It depends if you want to spend the time copying them for each child. I found it to be easier to just buy the student pages and have them done for me.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

cbollin

Re: RTR 1st or 2nd edition

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm getting ready to do RTR for the 2nd time this coming year and I'll tell you up front --- I'm using my 1st edition manual of RTR (bought from mfw in 2005), but definitely bought the new student sheets. For $12.95 I get it all done for the whole year! and it is way higher quality than my cheap printer. and I mean way better! And the parts that needed to be on cardstock were already done. No spiral binding to deal with. AND -- big improvement here ..... in RTR 1st edition, you know what? I had to go back to these black line map masters --- MFW did each one for me already! and get this -- it included a cover/title sheet to slip into the 3 ring notebook binder so it looks really neat. I've done that for years by copying the front of the manual (another color copy and paper)-- no big deal, but oh, it is so nice to be done with all copying for the whole year!

YES!!!! $13, whole year.! yeah mama! and yes, I'm using RTR 1st edition with those new sheets. It's the same sheets. somewhere between 60-70 sheets - some are on cardstock too. It would cost me about $17 for one ink cartridge alone in my cheap HP printer, and that much copying, yes, on my printer, I"d use most of the cartridge. So, to have higher quality copies, no spiral binding on the copying (not that it really matters), and all done and on the cardstock and all of the maps...... I'm in!

Another thing to remember --- if you buy 2nd edition package -- you get one set of student sheets. Overall, the price did not change from 2009 did it? This just means that your extra kids get a set of really top quality sheets. And you don't even have to copy for the first student.

Seriously, I bought the sheets for my use, but if I thought it was lame, I would have sent them back. best wishes in your decision that fits your family. I'm just saying how it went for me.

-crystal

cbollin

2nd edition RTR

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:41 am

rxmom wrote:Are there any books scheduled in the second edition of RTR that were not scheduled in the first edition of RTR?

Thanks,
Delcey
2nd edition RTR is mostly just to indicate that the student pages aren't in the manual.

If you have a really old edition of 1st edition, one book went out of print (How Your Body Works) and was replaced with 1st Encyclopedia of Human Body. So, I used RTR five years ago and How Your Body Works is scheduled. But I think it went out of print the year I was using it, so since about then, the new book has been part of RTR.

The other out of print change that still happened in 1st edition is with the Beethoven music cd. minor stuff there.

the only other minor thing I know about is Story of World has had minor changes in its original vs. revised edition, that tends to affect page numbers.

-crystal

DS4home

RtR - The Best of Mozart Question

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 am

amelasky wrote:I have seen in my grid for the past few weeks that I am supposed to read certain portions of the guidebook from The Best of Mozart. Neither of my cds have a guidebook. What am I missing?
I got ours from MFW, and the Best of CD came in a little CD box that just fits the CD case and the booklet. In other words it's not really a full sized book. The booklet is the same size as the CD case.
Did you get yours in a little slip like box? My descriptions are horrible - I just don't know what to call it! :~
amelasky wrote:Strange. I purchased from MFW, but I have two cd cases. No slipcase or box. Hum...
Maybe a call to the office is in order? Not sure why you wouldn't have gotten the booklet that goes with it?

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

MFW-Lucy

Re: RtR - The Best of Mozart Question

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi Annie,

These CD's used to be packaged differently. The company who published these were going to drop the CD's. We were able to work with them to still produce them, but the booklet was dropped at that time. Unfortunately, this is one of those changes that happened mid-year and the T.M. was not updated until the next printing. I think when I did this with my kids that I read the information, but I did not read it all to my kids. This is not an essential part of the program. You can still enjoy and become familiar with Mozart's music and share the information from the notes in the T.M.

Lucy

amelasky

Re: RtR - The Best of Mozart Question

Unread post by amelasky » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Thank you, Lucy! I kept going through my CDs trying to find a booklet. I did find the introduction to classical music one from many years ago. :) glad to know I wasn't missing anything too pertenent. So thankful y'all were able to convince them to continue producing the CDs. We love the Music components to MFW!
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

Julie in MN

do I need the new edition for RtR?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:17 pm

BostonMom wrote:I'm coming back around to Rome to the Reformation and noticed at the most recent convention that all the covers are different. I have a "revised 2009" edition. Are they the same, except the cover and the separate student pages?
Hello,
You know, I don't remember RTR itself changing since we used it back in the day. As you mentioned, there are student pages now, and those are always a nice improvement.

There will likely be some typo fixes and such. And of course, as I mentioned in another post recently: other publishers do change things as the years go by. As with any MFW manual, buying it together with the books means that page numbers will all line up. For instance, I think SOTW page numbers changed a tiny bit.

Sometimes the book goes out of print and MFW has to find a replacement. In RTR, I think that was the case with the Usborne-type book on the human body, at least one of the classical music CDs (the one with the neon word "Love" on it looks different than ours LOL), and the model castle. The changes in those aren't huge, but there are changes.

Maybe these threads will help:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3310
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8648
HTH,
Julie

Kim in MI

Re: do I need the new edition for RtR?

Unread post by Kim in MI » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:55 am

We are just completing RtR with an older edition (2004). I talked to the MFW office last summer and decided that I would buy the new student sheets (for convenience) and stick with my old manual. It worked out just fine. I did buy an "upgrade" for a previous year (ECC?), but it really is more personal preference, I think. It's nice to have the latest and greatest, but it's fine to save money and stick with the older one too.

BostonMom

Re: do I need the new edition for RtR?

Unread post by BostonMom » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:29 am

Thank you!! :-)

Julie in MN

Usborne Internet-Linked Medieval World

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:57 am

shera wrote:I already own the Usborne Internet Linked World History Encyclopedia. Does anyone know if I can just use it instead of the Medieval World Encyclopedia used in RtR?

Thanks
Sarah
Sarah,
Back when we did RTR, the Medieval book was a part of a larger Usborne book and was pretty identical. I can't guarantee that's still the case, and don't remember the name of the larger book, but I thought I'd throw that out there since everyone seems busy this summer :) If you could find a "look inside" list of chapters, that might really clinch it.

The book sub would have a couple of differences:
1. The pages wouldn't line up, which might be fine for some and too much work for others.
2. The larger book, as I recall, had a section on "prehistory" (history that we're not sure of because it isn't recorded, i.e. before the flood, and of course it won't be the Biblical version). Some families don't want their kids to have a big section of their books dedicated to that topic.

HTH,
Julie

shera

Re: Usborne Internet-Linked Medieval World

Unread post by shera » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks Julie. I will see if I can find a look inside to do a comparison. If I don't need another encyclopedia type book, I'm all for saving the money and shelf space.
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd 08/04
dd 07/09

donutmom

Unread post by donutmom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Quickly just looked at table of contents of your book (the medieval world section) to the medieval book which I have here. All the listing is the same, except for page 3 of the medieval world (titled "When? Where? How?"). Your book doesn't have that, but it has another page "Looking at the Medieval World" which mine doesn't. Maybe it's the same thing, but can't see the contents of that page. The When? Where? page, is just like an intro, so though it's scheduled in the RTR manual, it wouldn't be a huge loss if you didn't have it. Otherwise, listing is the same order and titles, with no extras compared to the medieval only book. Hope that helps.

-dee

shera

Unread post by shera » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd 08/04
dd 07/09

Julie in MN

Small errata in week 1 of a few 2014 manuals

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:59 am

Missy OH wrote:I have a new RtR TM.

Math is listed twice on the grid all week. Hmmm? I'm not understanding why.

In the introduction it says we are to begin writing letters in week 7, but it is not listed on the grids at any time. Are we or not suppose to do letter writing this year

We are starting school tomorrow! So ready for the routine. :)
Missy,
I went ahead and asked at the office. Call me curious :)

Here's what I found out:
1. Math should appear just once in Week 1. Math Drill begins in Week 2 (but it's in the corner of just one math box on the grid, so in either case there shouldn't be 2 math boxes).
2. Yes, the note about letter writing in Week 7 shouldn’t be there. It will be taken out in the future.

They appreciate the heads-up on these.
Julie

Missy OH

Re: Question about first week in RtR

Unread post by Missy OH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:40 am

Julie,

I appreciate you asking for me. Now, I know I wasn't missing something.

Well, our first day of school was crazy. My two year old injured her foot and we had to go to the ped. and then to get X-rays. We are still waiting for the results today to see what to do next. So our first day of school wasn't special but at least memorable. We were still able to get everything done, though we were finishing up at 5:30. We will see what today holds. :)

Julie in MN

Re: Question about first week in RtR

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:23 am

Aw, the kids will always remember those things on the first day of school :)

Just to warn you, my youngest was my injuring-est kid. Just when I thought I was doing pretty well, along came the last kid. He was still busy breaking his finger in the last months before he graduated high school :~

Hope today is great!
Julie

Julie in MN

Medieval Book for R to R?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:03 pm

HomeschoolHarvest wrote:I have an Usborne Medieval book. I wanted to see if it was the same one, or could be used with the program. I don't see any date or edition on it but it is not internet-linked and it has a metal helmet on it. The full title says, "Usborne World History Medieval World" written by Jane Bingham.

I know it doesn't have internet-links which would be ok. I don't know if the pages would line up or if I would be able to figure it out. But I'd hate to have to buy something I already own. Would this work?
Thanks,
Kristen
Hi Kristen,
There's a post in the archives from when the book changed, and at the time Lucy said the page numbers had changed but the content hadn't changed much. So if you don't mind adjusting for page numbers, you might be fine. The title of your book sounds correct for the earlier editions of RTR which we used.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 310#p47290

Also, if you click on the teacher manual sample here, you'll see a few of the assigned pages: http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/11/Rom ... n/#Samples
So, on the grid for week 17, Thursday, it shows the title of page 7 is "Return to Christianity." Then on the grid for week 18, Wed. & Thurs., it shows that pages 12-15 are about Vikings. Do those match your book? If not, would the page numbers be easy to adjust? Now, not all of the assigned pages are identified with titles on the grid, so if your pages don't line up, you'll have to make a few assumptions about those, but I would think it would become pretty clear after you match up the ones with titles?

Does that help your decision?
Julie
PS. You are still able to use the Quicklinks website with their older editions, if you wish. You can just google it or try this http://www.usborne.com/quicklinks/eng/c ... sa&id=1457