God and the History of Art - Supplies, Questions

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
Julie in MN

God and the History of Art - Supplies, Questions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:32 am

Eve wrote:I am wondering: Is it possible that someone could send me a supplies list for God & the History of Art? I would like to have everything available.. at least major items before I start my year. Thanks, Eve Garrison
Hi Eve,

There is more info on GHA in the CTG archives, because that's the year a lot of people start that Art program. Here's one thread with some supply discussion:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=1300

I think the main art supply prep will be to:
* choose a drawing pencil, eraser, and sharpener that you like.
* And then to choose a good set of colored pencils, and add basic colors (the 3 primary colors, plus other common ones like black) if they aren't in the set.
* The paints are not used a lot but they are used on occasion in RTR. You just need acrylics in the primary colors plus white; he teaches you to mix the rest of the colors.
* The author also suggests markers & a black extra-fine Sharpie-type marker. My ds hasn't really used these but he thinks he's a renegade :o)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Missy OH

Dip painting? GATHOA

Unread post by Missy OH » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Missy OH wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:32 pm
Lesson #217. I am not understanding how to dip the brush in the paint. I thought it meant one on top of the other but I don't understand how it will work. Then I'm reading and it's saying put the side of the brush in the paint. I tried googling w/ no success.
Reply from Julie in MN » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:31 pm
By that point in GATHOA, we weren't doing the art, just the history portion, famous artists, etc. However, I'll take a stab.

I'm seeing it as:
1. squirt some of each color on a palette so you don't mess up your paint jars
2. dip your brush in the first color (the darkest color), just a teensie bit so it will end up just accenting the lighter colors you add next - and you won't end up with just mud
3. dip your brush in each of the next colors (next-darkest and then lighter and lighter colors), grabbing more paint now but taking from the very edge of the blob on the palette so the whole blob doesn't end up a mess
4. now just do some paint strokes and see the varied effect of all the colors that will be mixing fully in some areas and partially in other areas, so the effect is not a flat solid color but something like the leaves and flowers on the Monet postcard

That's my impression, anyways (pardon the pun) :)
Julie

Missy OH

Re: Dip painting? GATHOA

Unread post by Missy OH » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Yes, we never made it this far through the book before. We just read it but my girls love the painting exercises. I think this is something we are just going to have to try out as it still is not making sense to me, but maybe it will to my girls. I will let you know how it goes. I don't think we are going to get to it until next week, though. Thanks for re-explaining the directions, you made more sense than the book did. :)