Combining grades 2-8 in RTR

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
rxmom

Combining grades 2-8 in RTR

Unread post by rxmom »

mothergooseofthree wrote:After coming from another program for a couple of years, my oldest seems to have had a major drop in his work load by switching to MFW. Don't get me wrong, he is learning just as much and the old workload was more than I wanted. But, I still need him to be occupied while I work with the youngers on skills. So, for his "reading" on the schedule, I have been adding in all those great books that I want him to read. Then we only have a short book basket time since the youngers are still working on reading skills.
Some ideas for keeping older ones occupied (I'm sure others have made suggestions on this site..Julie, Crystal may know the links..)
My boys usually work on Rosetta Stone (Spanish), Art, Drawing, other subjects,correcting math problems, copywork, bookbasket, chapterbooks, hobbies, letter writing.....oldest is learning to keyboard, piano practice, etc.
Delcey
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
mothergooseofthree

Re: New here and just finished week 3 of CtG

Unread post by mothergooseofthree »

I think I have found a way to keep ds busy. I just ordered Typing Instructor for Kids, Zoombinis, and Fritz and Chesster. I will make these available to him and let him choose which to occupy himself with. Plus, we just started Boy Scouts so maybe working on badges will take some of his time as well.

These are things that I have wanted to add in before, but he was already schooling most of the day. I didn't have the heart to add in more. This is SO working for us right now!
Sheila in OK

Considering using MFW again...

Unread post by Sheila in OK »

deltagal wrote:Hello all, Our family used ECC several years ago. I'm thinking it might be time to put them all on the same program again. To me the real PLUS of returning to MFW would be to work with my 13 yo, soon to be 11 yo, and 7 yo (turning 8 in September) as a team. I think my 13 yo needs this. BUT - my 11 yo is not excited about this idea. Why? Because he currently has a lot of self-motivation.
We are using Rome to Reformation this year--I have an 8th grader and a 5th grader. Basically the only thing we all do together is Bible, history, and readalouds--the 8th grader is doing Apologia Science and the 5th grader does the science in RtR. We try to do the 'together' subjects first thing in the morning. That way, my dd can get her school done quickly and doesn't have to wait around on her brother. We can usually get it all done in an hour or so (our 'together' work, that is--not everything!), depending on what is scheduled (we don't do EFTRU--we are doing a separate Latin program instead).
DS4home

Tips to Combine 2nd and 5th grader in RtR???

Unread post by DS4home »

hleemba99 wrote:Hi there---this is our 4th year with MFW, and we'll be doing RtR this year. It's also the first year that I'm going to be combining my older two together, and I have a question for the veterans: how do you handle things like history with the two ages? Last year I would just have my eldest read history on his own, but this year I'm not sure how to include my 7 year old. The reading may be too advanced for him Do I have the older read on his own and I read aloud? Or are there other things you would suggest? I appreciate all feedback. Thanks so much in advance!
I have also had children with this age spread. I ended up reading all the history and science out loud. Even though I knew the older one could read it, I figured why spend time on this twice? So I had them both sit in on the reading. It felt kind of silly at first for me to be reading it out loud to my oldest, but once I got over it, it was fine (kids didn't mind, it was just me :~ ). Then we would do the notebooking page or whatever might be assigned. It took the younger one longer, needing help with spelling and whatnot. I just let the older one finish on their own and then they could go onto an individual subject on their list as I finished up with the younger one. After you've done it a few times you will find a flow to it that works for you. ;)

Dawn
Celebrating our 30th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS+College Grad), & Bethany(11th)
2020: high school US Hist.1
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1
jasntas

Re: Tips to Combine 2nd and 5th grader in RtR???

Unread post by jasntas »

I read all of the history and science out loud and the kids listen. (Both of mine are dyslexic so I have always done this.)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.
TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR »

My boys were in 1st, and they sat in and listened to all the RTR history. I always read aloud the Bible, History, and science. Remember, the 2nd grader gets it again in 7th grade, so if it is over his head, it will be fine. You can stop more often and have him narrate back to you what he's gotten so far. You'll be amazed at how much they remember.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

hleemba99 wrote:Thanks, everyone. I'm really fascinated by the idea of having the 5th grader listen to the history read-aloud. For some reason this feels strange to me! He is an excellent reader and it feels as though something would be lost having him just listen (although certainly I know he could read it again on his own if he wanted...but I doubt he'd do that if he's listened to it already.) Of course I know I could just read it to the 2nd grader and have the 5th grader read on his own, but that also feels weird, too. Maybe I'll have the 5th grader read it aloud part of the time to have him practice his elocution as well. OK, folks; thanks for the ideas! Would love to hear from any others who have made different choices.
Too funny, I still read some things aloud to my rising 11th grader. I know families in my area where homeschool is basically one big read-aloud. I guess each family is different.

Personally I have always felt a little bit "strange" about just the opposite -- about bringing my child home to read on his own. It feels like (a) letting the book's author teach him, rather than me, when I specifically brought him home to teach him myself, and (b) letting him glean a child's understanding, rather than having an adult's guidance, oh and, (c) solitary confinement in my son's case since no one else is doing school.

I love reading aloud and stopping to ask what my student got out of a certain sentence here and there. Often the answer surprises me.

Just another way to look at it,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
jasntas

Unread post by jasntas »

I was thinking that you could have the oldest read part of the history as well. I think that the TM suggests having the children begin reading some of the Bible passages aloud.

I think that you could tell your oldest that in a setting with more than one student most teachers would do (at least portions of) the reading aloud.

I think the only other way you may get around this might be to get the book/s on audio for the younger to listen to independently after or before the older has read the assigned pages.

I personally love the times we spend learning together. I think my kids do, too.

...Julie must have hit submit while I was typing. I love what she said and she said it so much better than I could have.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.
hleemba99

Unread post by hleemba99 »

Yes, I know that some families value reading aloud a great deal! I have always wished we could do more but it has been hard for me to implement. Maybe doing so with history is one way to make it work. OK, everyone, I really appreciate the input. It's been very helpful! Have a great school year!
4th-year homeschooler Helen
Author, The Missional Mom
Married to DH 15+ years
Mom to DS (10), DS (7), and DS (5)
TriciaMR

Need advice about when to bring dd into 5yr cycle

Unread post by TriciaMR »

secondchance wrote:Our 5yo dd is presently doing MFW-K. She is handling it all very enthusiastically and without difficulty. I have already ordered the MFW 1st, and we will, of course do the 1st grade curriculum next, at the pace that is suitable for her. I am okay with it taking longer than 9 or 10 months to accomplish it.

My question is, what should we do after 1st? By the time she finishes 1st, her brothers will be in grades 5 & 7 doing RtR. And I don't want to plop her into something that is too hard and frustrating for her. Should I consider doing ADV with her as her 2nd grade year? We don't necessarily desire to rush her through school and graduate her early. I'd like to keep her with the grade that she would be if she were in school, with the exception of letting her do whatever math is appropriate for her needs.

Does MFW have any thoughts about this? I've heard that around 2nd grade it all starts to catch up with them, ie, things begin to even out a little more. That's why I'm hesitant to fast track her. (Living out that mistake w/ our 10 grader who should probably be in 9th. She is overwhelmed.)

Thanks for any insight. Hope this is not too confusing.
Debbie
You know, I would just see how it goes and not worry this far in advance.

My boys were 1st graders when I was doing RtR with my oldest. They sat in on the history and joined in on all the activities, music, and science (a favorite!) - my state requires us to have 4 hours of school a day, so it was easiest to incorporate them into the history and science from RTR. I didn't expect them to do any history notebook pages (I don't think I even bought them), but they did join in on the body book stuff (they loved making a skeleton), and I found a free notebook to go along with Astronomy, and they filled out some of those. But, if you were to do notebook pages with the 2nd grader, you could do dictation (where she dictates to you and you write, and then let her color) or double dictation (you write what she says on separate paper, and then she copies it). The younger kids tend to fold into the history cycle pretty easily, just adjust your expectation down. You don't want to pile on a lot more work.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
ruppster02

Re: Need advice about when to bring dd into 5yr cycle

Unread post by ruppster02 »

I agree with the pevious poster. My opinion would be to have her go along R&R with your older 2, just what she can handle, activities, projects, as the previous poster said. Then just add in reading and math for her level. If im understanding this whole "5yr cycle thing" correctly she will redo R&R when she is in 7th grade anyway and will be able to get more out of it then.
Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. »

My third ds was a 2nd grader when his older brothers (5th and 7th) were scheduled to do RTR (last year). I was exactly where you are the year before, wondering what I would do with him. Not only was he going to be a 2nd grader but he was (and still is) delayed for his age/grade. I was worried that it would be too much/too hard for him. I considered doing 2 programs that year: ADV with him and RTR with his brothers. A wise MFW board member pointed out that if I did ADV with him in 2nd that he would then get the same history time period the very next year when he would fold in with his older brothers in EXP1850. In other words, it would be a repeat. Not to mention the whole aspect of trying to do 2 complete programs. Someone else suggested, like Trish, that I not plan too far ahead, because I didn't know what would happen in that timeframe. There were too many variables in planning that far ahead.

He ended up needing 2 years to do 1st grade so while he was finishing the last half of the MFW 1st grade program, he was also doing the "fun" aspects of RTR and anything else he was interested in, like the From the Roots Up pages. He loved those. I know some people have said that they did not have their younger child/children do those, but he really wanted to. He would only write the Latin root word and the short definition and then draw a picture. I am not sure he could tell you what they mean today, but he enjoyed doing the pages so I let him.

We had a good year that year, but I didn't expect too much from him on the RTR side. That was the fun stuff. I really focused more on his LA/Math/ etc. He needed a lot of work learning to read. I am not so sure he doesn't have some LD's even though we have never had him tested.

I think your dd would be fine doing the fun aspects of RTR and what she takes interest in and then do her own LA and math. While it is heavy at times as far as history content, there really were a lot of fun, learning aspects, like the Roman feast and building a model castle. Not to mention how it really brought the gospel's accounts of Jesus, his life, and that time period to life for us. Whatever my 2nd grader gleaned from that was well worth it, in my opinion. He would do what student sheets he could. He would color the pictures and then just write (copy from me) the person or event's name and the date. I did not expect any further notebooking summaries from him.

My opinion would be just wait and see where she is at that time. And when she does fold into the history program (whatever year that is), just pick and choose what you think she can handle and enjoy and what she asks to do, and then focus on her LA and math and reading.

That is the beauty of MFW, each year truly is written for multi-ages. The academics and deeper subjects are there for the olders and the fun, hands-on learning is there for everyone but is particularly helpful for the youngers.

HTH,
Amy C.
MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy »

Hi Debbie,

The real life experiences of the moms who have shared their experience here I think iare so valuable. My kids were a bit closer so this was not a question for me, but I had each child work at their level and what they were able to do.

MFW recommends to do just as the gals have said. While she is in K and 1st she will join in where she is able and interested with her older siblings (books, experiments, hands-on projects). Once she reaches 2nd grade (completes MFW 1st grade) she will join in a bit more still doing math and language arts at her level. She will begin to be able to write a short summary on the notebook pages where as in K and 1st she was just coloring them and not expected to be able to write on these. You will not have to be concerned as a 2nd or 3rd grader if she is doing it all because any year used in 2nd or 3rd grade will be repeated 5 years later in 7th and 8th grade.

You will be able to use the 2nd/3rd grade supplement when you reach Explorations to 1850, which will have you reading many of the books in Adventures so that the U.S. history is at her level. This year will also have many of the fun hands-on activities from Adventures such as making teepees and wigwams, butter, and Georgia peach cobbler.

If you have any questions, feel free to call our office at 573-202-2000.

Lucy
kugoi

Unread post by kugoi »

I have so many doing school now, I don't even do all of K and 1st, just the phonics, math, reading portion. My K and 1st graders do Bible, History and Science with everybody else, just at a much easier level. This year I'm doing CtoG and my K will draw a picture instead of making a full note-book page. She insists on copying the Greek words onto an index card even though she can't really read it, but it's good handwriting practice. And she loves to do the science experiments with us (as does the 4yo). And she can memorize the memory verses just as well as the bigger kids. Sometimes she gets bored and wanders off to play with the younger ones which is fine by me. All that to say, your 2nd grader should be fine working with the older kids as long as you keep his needs and capabilites in mind.
Mom of 7, ages 14, 10, 8, 6, 4, 1 and new baby.
Have used K, 1st, Adv, ECC, and CtoG