Read-Alouds - Using Kingdom Tales in RTR?

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
Julie in MN

Read-Alouds - Using Kingdom Tales in RTR?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:38 pm

KelsiTX wrote:Julie in MN, I read in one of your older posts that your family read Kingdom Tales in RTR...can you tell me how often or what your schedule was for that? Like just during a specific part of the year or throughout it? We have it and never got it finished so I'd like to do this...

Would love any ideas from anyone! Thanks!
Hi Kelsi,
I've suggested that folks read KT in RTR, if they aren't up to it in ECC (or missed it).

However, MFW didn't have KT when we did RTR. It was when we were in year 5, I think, that MFW started carrying KT. I actually had had some of them on my shelves, but hadn't gotten to reading them yet, and they are much better than I had hoped!

When we did read KT, I think in year 5, we just read it whenever there wasn't a scheduled read-aloud. I did try to group KT into its three parts (it was originally 3 books), and keep going until we were done with a part, before going back to another scheduled read-aloud. But I didn't try to read the entire book in one chunk of time. Come to think of it, I think we still have to read part 3. We got waylayed that year with an Advent story etc. But we're just finishing up the middle ages right now in WHL, so it's perfect, right?!

You will be blessed. My son and I both love the books.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: Using Kingdom Tales in RTR?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:47 pm

I have wondered from time to time about that idea of hers to use it in RTR if you don't get to it in ECC. I like the idea. I like the book. so read it anytime :)

so... Julie.. can I just ask out loud instead of PM'ing you? oh goodie LOL

my question is why in RTR?
is it
Kingdom Tales is about Kings, and we learn a lot about Kings in middle ages even though KT isn't "middle ages" setting (KT for those who don't know is "modern" setting with cabs, and electricity)
or is it because there are plenty of weeks in RTR near the end without a specific read aloud from deluxe?
or both..

I'm just curious and talking out loud.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Good question, Crystal, my detailed friend :)

I don't know. I think because it's about "The King" and he's really a Jesus figure, so it goes with the study of Jesus' life in RTR.

And yes, there's the "princess" and the city "walls" and it somehow just feels middle ages to me. I wonder if it's because we have the illustrated versions, and they have girls in long gowns and such? (We used the MFW version for ease of reading and for the discussion questions, but we still looked at the pictures in our older versions since we had them.)

And then, yes, I felt "busy" by the time we got to years 4 & 5. There is much to learn, and so many books about George Washington and the rest, that it could be harder to add it to those years?

See how swirling my mind is? Makes my kids crazy sometimes :~
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

KelsiTX

Unread post by KelsiTX » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks Crystal and Julie! I'm just glad I ran across that post....and remembered KT!!
Blessed by MFW 4 years (ADV, ECC, CTG, currently RTR)
Married for 12 years to JD
Kassidy (12) 6th grade
Jackson (7) 2nd grade

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:28 pm

I love hearing how you think Julie! I like that... Jesus in NT and princesses and.. ooh......

I just checked my RTR manual... I think, although I've not done it, if one were to start right after finishing Dangerous Journey, you'd have about 12 weeks to read KT. That would be a comfortable 3 chapters a week.
ooh... hmm.. maybe it should have been in RTR?

-crystal

KelsiTX

Unread post by KelsiTX » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Hmmm...another good thought. Just looked in my manual and, is that right, there's no scheduled read alouds after week 23? That would be better timing to bring the KT in...since it's just the beginning of our journey thru RTR...and our first library trip is tomorrow :-)
Blessed by MFW 4 years (ADV, ECC, CTG, currently RTR)
Married for 12 years to JD
Kassidy (12) 6th grade
Jackson (7) 2nd grade

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:28 am

What a great idea! I don't remember if we finished KT the first time through, although I know the boys really enjoyed the stories. I think I'll made a note of this in my RTR TM. Thanks, ladies!!
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 am

I hope they archive this in the RTR section, because if I write it down now, I'll lose it. I'd love to go back through KT next year, and I know we skipped some of them in ECC last year.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL