Science - Body Book questions, sibling sharing, paper

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
SandKsmama

Science - Body Book questions, sibling sharing, paper

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:42 pm

How big? One for each Child?
Jenn in NC wrote:How big is the "body" going to be? Am I going to need to find a place to store it? It looks like it isn't going to be fitting in notebooks.

Also the directions in the TM seem to indicate that each child should do one of their own. Has anyone made this into a group effort instead of individual bodies, and how did that go?

Thanks, as always. :)
It's about as tall as my 4 year old:-). I can't remember exactly how tall she is, but I'd say it's between 40-45 inches long.

We did make individual ones, and I didn't regret it at all - I had to help the 7 year old more, but my 11 year old did hers just fine. It was probably their favorite thing from the whole year of school - such fun!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:08 pm

We put our paper skeletons on the back of a door and built as we went. I intended to do "just" one as a family/group project...... well, uh..... made two of them. The kids had a blast. We didn't do the "brain" page the way it was in the book b/c that was just too much ink. We traced those pages and lightly shaded them in instead of using too much copying ink. (pages 83-86 in my book)

Eventually we took them down and folded them and put 'em away, but not in a notebook.

size wise.... it was shorter than me <grin>

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:40 pm

cbollin wrote:size wise.... it was shorter than me <grin>
Funny, Crystal :o)

Ours first hung in my son's room, and now it's hanging on the side of our dining room cabinet, but if it didn't fit I was just going to hang it on the front of the cabinet! I've heard of others who hung them in the window (Kelly?). They're more fun if you have them up, IMHO.

However, there are several smaller models that fit in our notebook. A few had to be bent in half (the hair follicles) or squashed (the spinal vertebrae), but most of them fit in our notebook if they weren't on the skeleton.

Great learning! Interesting conversation piece :o)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:08 pm

We used the group effort approach and hung it in the schoolroom.
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:18 pm

Yes, we hung them in the window. It was (gasp!) Halloween, which the kids are aware of, but we sort of ignore. Other families with little kids had little skeletons, pumpkins, and such and when the kids asked if the could put them in the window, I let them. So, we had decorations. However, unlike the neighbors' decorations, ours were colored and labeled.

Surprised you remembered!
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:03 am

kellybell wrote:It was (gasp!) Halloween, which the kids are aware of, but we sort of ignore.
This strikes me as extremely funny :)

Well thanks for your thoughts everyone! I am still undecided what I will do exactly... but I am thinking that if we do a group effort, oldest will get very irritated at middle 1 and middle 2 for not being perfect type-A first-borns in their approach. So, for the sake of family unity I should probably at least do two. But not five! THAT would too many skeletons in my windows. :)
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

cbollin

RTR Body Book questions - paper choices

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:13 pm

Amy in NC wrote:What kind of paper did you use for copies from the Body Book? Plain copy paper or card stock?

Do you make one big model during the study or are there several different models from the book; like a model of the bones, then another of the muscles, or do they just add on top of each other.

Thanks
plain copy paper is what we used. much easier to cut and fold.

put them together. Instructions were in there to connect the parts. my kids liked doing that project. Hung them on the back of a door for a long time. moved them to the front windows.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: RTR Body Book questions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:18 pm

We used heavy cardstock. We use cardstock a lot, come to think of it :)

You make one almost-life-sized model, which starts with the skeleton and then you can put in the organs, too. I think that part is optional. I remember ds didn't want to put the organs on, but dm (dear mom?!) wanted them on there for his understanding of placement. It got kinda heavy at that point, but we always had more tape !!

You do also make quite a few smaller models. I remember the skin one with the hairs sticking up. Maybe all 5 senses? And I remember a spinal cord one using toilet paper tubes or something. I'd have to get out ds's notebook, but I know he had quite a few that fit into page protectors, besides our big skeleton -- that has now been moved to the basement ;)

Amy in NC

Unread post by Amy in NC » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:52 pm

OK, I've got one vote for plain paper and one for card stock... Anyone care to be the tie breaker?

Naw, seriously, with 3 dd's that will want their own skeleton, I'm thinking plain paper is the cheapest way to go.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:00 pm

So I was looking at that book tonight too. So excited I can't stand it!

Anyway, I am planning on using a lightweight cardstock (best of both worlds) and at the end when you start doing the major bones of the body I was going to attach them with brads so the "joints" would move (instead of using tape).

Did I mention how excited I am to do this? Okay, just checking 8[]
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

mamaofredheads

Unread post by mamaofredheads » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:57 am

Ok, here's another option. LOL We used plain paper, then ended up attaching it to a "science fair board". Not sure what you call those. We used it for our home school group's science fair and the skelton just barely fit if you put him on there just right. Then we put the extra smaller pieces that someone mentioned on the sides. It was great! Easy to store also.

Glenna

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 am

Call us boring, no wait, call ME boring, but we just used plain paper. Although the girls did color all their parts. Well, maybe not *all* the parts. But you can't have a bunch of artsy girls and not have color, you know. ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

esoloj

The Body Book in RtR

Unread post by esoloj » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:33 pm

mothergooseofthree wrote:Do you do a model for each child to assemble or do you just do one yourself to use as a teaching tool? My kids don't like all of the cutting and assembling and it seems like a waste of time and paper to have them all do this. We have been skipping it but I may just do one myself over the weekend and use it to teach the lesson.
We did some individual parts, eye, skin, ear, etc. for each child to put in their science notebook and then the skeleton and organs (heart, intestines, etc.) we only did one of and hung it on the wall as we were adding to it. HTH!

TriciaMR

Re: The Body Book in RtR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Agreeing - I did multiples for the organs, but only one Skeleton. And really, it was a few weeks before my youngest two got interested in the skeleton.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Rudiletto

Unread post by Rudiletto » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:10 pm

My 5th and 2nd grader love doing their own models. My kinder doesn't have the patience - after trying a few times to get him involved, I just let him do his own thing. The older 2 really love making their own models though.

KimberlyND

Unread post by KimberlyND » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:44 am

We started doing one for each child as my daughter in 1st wanted to do that. After a few weeks she lost interest. I kept up on her model for awhile then let it go. We just do one model now. When the cutting gets too much for my son I help him with it. He needs help taping the pieces together as well. I do know doing the models and activities has helped us understand the workings of the body better.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 am

It's fun getting a peek into how different families are working together. Here are a few more, if you want to do a thorough survey :)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5701

I will admit that I cut out all the pieces ahead, so the science went faster. And actually my mother-in-law did some of the cutting, too.

And ours has moved to the basement now, but it's still there after all these years !!
Julie

Sheila in OK

The Body Book, Rome to Reformation - share?

Unread post by Sheila in OK » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm

MelissaB wrote:We're looking at Rome to Reformation for next year for two children. Should we order an extra Body Book, or let both children share?

Thanks for your help!
Melissa
They can share. This is a reproducible book you use to make 'models' of the different body systems you are studying. They can work together to make the model or each do their own, but either way you just need one book. :)
MelissaB wrote:Great! Thank you, Sheila. That saves us $14 .... :-)

Julie - Staff

Re: The Body Book, Rome to Reformation - share?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Just wanted to add that the Body Book *must* be copied, because the pages are 2-sided, so if you cut out one side, you wouldn't have the other side. So that's even more about why you don't need one per student.

rebeccal2002

The Body Book Woes for RTR

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:26 pm

mothermayi wrote:We're new here and I am enjoying the TM for RTR! It looks like tons of fun! As I prepare for our new year, The Body Book is trying to get the best of me ;) . I'm almost half done copying on cardstock for multiple children (4 dc) and have begun cutting...this is after I decided to rip the book apart cover to cover, literally. I put the pages in plastic sheet protectors and placed them in a binder to make copying easier. This worked marvelously! Well, now back to cutting :-) .

There has to be a better design approach to this book...hmmmm, I'll have to think of something and send a message along to the publisher !? ;) .
I just had my DH take the binding off with a paper cutter. (The chopper kind.) Then I 3 hole punched it and put it in a thin 3 ring binder. I just taught out of the binder and made copies as we went along. It was too much for me to handle the copying all at once. We enjoyed doing the Body Book, but I had to be very hands on and help them assemble the models, as my kids were easily frustrated if the instructions didn't make sense to them at first. And I agree, this book should be sold loose leaf or be an e-book. :)

Have fun!

Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

Julie in MN

Re: The Body Book Woes for RTR

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Yes, it would be nice if the Body Book were one-sided, and sturdy pages, so you didn't have to copy. But then some of us wouldn't like the cost :)

Here are a few possibilities for ya:

1. Just do one family body
2. Do all the copying (or copying + cutting) during the summer (sounds like you might be doing that?)
3. Have someone else do some of the work, either copying or cutting. My mother-in-law, bless her, was here when we did RTR and she did a lot of the cutting for me.

And I do agree that taking off the binding makes life much easier. I can't remember if that was one where i had Kinko's do it or whether it was easy enough to do myself; I've done both. Wish I would've done that with the high school mapping book ;)
Julie

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:34 pm

We just did one skeleton for the whole family. For some of the smaller things (like joint examples) I made one for all 3 kids. Worked for us. I managed to copy without ripping pages out, I think, but my printer/copier has a really heavy lid that smashes things down :)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi, Rika! Like Julie & Trish, by the end of last year, we decided that one body is enough.
Wish I could have told you that before you cut out all of those parts. ;)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

donutmom

Unread post by donutmom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Oh, I can't imagine how hard it is to cut card stock of those pieces. My hand aches thinking about it! We just used normal copier paper, which would be much less tiring on the hand.

Are any of your kiddos old enough to help? My 11 year old did his own (except when we had to cut a piece out of a middle or it was super intricate). My 8 year old did some of her own--I'd cut the curvy parts, and she'd cut the easy lines. Like Rebecca, I made copies as we went, so I didn't have that overwhelming stack to cut out at once.

Hoping you don't get too frustrated and dislike it before you use it. My kiddos enjoyed making their "skellies" (as they nicknamed them) very much. They even gave them each a proper name!

--dee

mothermayi

Unread post by mothermayi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:07 am

I ditched the idea of doing four copies and settled for two. The older two boys will share one and the little girls will share the other. My husband pitched in to help. Yay! I was on my way to not liking the program bc of all of the prep work that I have made for myself :~ . I just know that if I don't do it now while the kids are in play mode, I won't get it done and we would miss a lot of the activities in The Body Book (which look so cool and fun!). Oh, and I used cardstock bc anything paper seems to get ripped up by my dd that is almost three, and my son seems to make the same mistake on his projects and he feels horrible so I end up printing it on cardstock. This way I save them from the frustration and tears and I save on ink and paper. I bought some super scissors from Costco so it's going much better than before (I had dollar store scissors).

Thanks for the ideas and support :).
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K