3rd grade for RtR?

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:59 am

3koolkids wrote:I am looking for curriculum for next year and I am finishing up SOTW book 1 with my 2nd grade twins. They both want to continue with history where we will leave off, and that would be in Rome. Would RtR be too difficult for them? They are both very good readers and very bright. (Don't we all think that about our children!) ECC sounds great, but they both want to go on from where we are. They love SOTW! We have been having a lot of fun with it.
My 2nd and 3rd graders did CTG this year and we will do RTR next year. CtG is similar to RTR in difficulty. I think they would do fine. You might have to adjust a few things, but not much. My children have gotten a lot out of CTG this year and have really enjoyed it. The Book Basket is flexible too. The level of difficulty can be drastically different depending upon which books you choose. The TM has suggestions for both younger and older children. Some of the books my kindergartener has enjoyed!
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:38 am

We've done CtG and soon will be starting RtR and they look similar in the amount of work. My then-3rd grader handled CtG just fine, and she's not some sort of superkid. I'd say to go for it and then you can omit a few things if it's too much or take a slower pace.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:48 pm

I've just finished with RtR (we started in June). Here's just some general observations.

I'm glad SOTW wasn't the only book used. Although SOTW is a good book to use, I felt there was more to the picture. RtR offered multiple books (Ancient World, Medieval World, Streams of Civilization, Trial and Triumph) without an overkill effect. Doable amounts were scheduled. God and History of Art is also used in RtR, though in my family, we had to cut back on that book. However, the TM in RTR recognizes that aspect and mentions that it is ok to cut back and save some art for break times. (Marie must have been thinking of families like mine. )

Activities: we followed the suggestions in the TM. Also added some stuff from different book baskets. We really liked the games that are in RTR (Fox and Geese, Mancala, Nine Men's Morris). These were fun for Dad and daughter to do together. Oh yeah, chess -- too.

Bible: again, MFW has done a great job of putting together Bible history as part of the big package in world history. I wasn't sure how that was going to work after Roman times. But the focus became church history. Still Bible reading and memory verses involved. And of course, the whole art history course. Wow.

Science: we loved the science this year. We are science "nerds" in our family. (DH is a chemistry faculty member at a university.) Great stuff. but not at some over the top level. Very doable and fun.

RTR is so much more than just a chronologically based world history package. MFW has put together a great program to incorporate many subjects together. It is doable, adjustable, and fine as is.

Can you do RTR with 3rd graders who are your oldest? Well, I get too nervous trying to help anyone with that question. There are things that will have to be adjusted a bit for them, but I have the opinion that it will be a little bit of tweaking down to fit for a younger student. You sure won't need to add to this program. The TM makes good suggestions for adjusting to meet younger students' needs. The program is designed for use by families with children 2nd-8th grade to be in the same program at the same time.

hope some of that is helpful for you.

Crystal
P.S. During about 4 weeks in the Roman History, we focused dd (4th) book basket on science and other readings because books for her seemed hard to find. (This is also suggested in the TM's where book basket suggestions are listed.) However, in the rest of the weeks, we didn't have any problem.

I realize that everyone has different experiences and different likes in readings. Thought I mention that in case anyone else found that part to be the same.

txquiltmommy

Unread post by txquiltmommy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 pm

Beth,

I thought I'd throw a few thoughts your way in response to your post above. I have just started MFW for my youngest two, and I plan, Lord willing, to stay with MFW all the way through with them. Perhaps I can share a few opinions about why I personally choose MFW over the other two programs I have used.

First, since I am a "hands on" person, and I like to add variety to our lessons, I have always spent time and effort gathering additional sources to add to our studies. We read specific books in a specific order at a specific rate.

By contrast, I feel MFW offers fantastic selections in the recommended reading section, but they allow you the freedom to choose which books/how many/how much per day. I like that flexibility. With MFW you also get hands on activities, music, art, and a Bible program that is integrated into the curriculum as a whole. MFW is reading (which I love) plus a whole lot of extras (which I really, really love).

As for SOTW and the Activity Guide, I genuinely like Susan Wise Bauer's books. I am pleased to see MFW uses one in the RTR. However, I agree with a previous post that they offer one snapshot of history, and that adding additional books helps round things out and give a more clear picture. The Middle Ages book does skip around a good bit, and unless your child has a good grasp on history already, pairing it with a few other nonfiction sources will help keep the flow of history running smoothly. The activity guide student pages in the back are primarily coloring pages and maps, with the occasional exception. Again, I find MFW to be a tad more exciting, varied and FUN.

Frankly, I think by going with MFW you get the best of all three worlds. You can add in books to your book basket time, and you can have the Activity Guide as an added resource to thumb through as you do the SOTW readings assigned by MFW. I think you would LOVE having the MFW schedule that maps everything out for you, and that includes more than just reading aloud.

You have three great choices though, so you can't go wrong in any direction. Good luck!
Brooke
dd (14)
ds(9) - ECC
ds(8) - ECC
and one on the way in December!

3koolkids

Unread post by 3koolkids » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:12 pm

Thanks Brooke and Crystal! Your input really helps. I am glad that you have had experience with other programs because it seems unless you've been through a curriculum, it is difficult to assess.

Your info about hands-on does sway me because my twins love to do projects. We are using the Apologia Astronomy book this year and their favorite activity was making "Marsville," an ecosystem on Mars. We spent weeks planning and building it and then we brought it to church on a Wed. night and shared it with other families.

Thank you for making this clearer for me.
Jeff & Beth in GA with Macey 10, Sara Beth 10, Julia 5. '06-'07 RtoR, '07-'08 exp-1850, '08-'09 1850-modern

Julie - Staff

"slow" getting through Ancient Rome -- but don't skip it

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:06 am
We also started with RTR instead of ECC. I'll warn you that the first 13 weeks of RTR (before the Middle Ages) may seem a little "slow" getting through Ancient Rome -- but don't skip it, because it's sooooo important to our history as Christians. Plus it's important to see how the world was set up and WHY the Middle Ages occurred, how it came about... what is it all about. It is NOT all about kings and queens and beautiful gowns and romantic living in castles. You'll learn so much!

The other thing I'd like to point out is the false gods mentioned in Augustus Caesar's World. I think it's hard to avoid this at that time period because it was such a significant part of the times and lifestyle, and also contributes to what people thought about Jesus. Right down to where the names of our Solar System, days of the week, many holidays, and other people, things and events in modern America came from. If your 8yo is afraid of the discussion of the myths and false gods, I would either not read those sections of ACW to her, or go through it carefully explaining from scripture how we Christians don't take comfort in those things because they weren't "real" or "alive", but Jesus is. You'll memorize verses from the book of Romans during this same time, and Romans chapter 8 is a big one for those of us who belong to Christ, to understand that NO ONE can separate us from the love of Christ.

And be sure to pay attention to Marie's notes in the TM... she does give us "alerts" to sections in ACW that might be too mature for some children, or are just plain wrong.

HTH.

[Editor's note: Doing ECC before RTR is recommended, and will solve some of these issues!)

baileymom

CTG or RTR next?

Unread post by baileymom » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:31 am

Brenda Y Swing wrote:I am doing ECC this year with my 5th grader and 2nd grader.

Our family did a year of Ancient History together (when my ds was in 3rd and dd in K- older sister then in 7th) using a different curriculum. We did a thorough study, even pulling in Biblcal concepts and my kids still remember mummifying an apple, reading Aesop's Fables and some of the Greek gods...oh and playing Senet. Due to this fact, I am considering jumping to RTR next year, especially since my ds won't be able to complete the entire 5 year cycle before high school and would really NOT want to miss doing 1850-MOD (all the wars!). My dd will be able to cycle thru and do CTG later.

Will my dd be able to handle RTR in her 3rd gr. year? What are your thoughts?
Brenda
Good Morning Brenda!

As far as the material being "suitable" for 3rd grade...we're doing RtR this year with PreK, 1st, 4th, and 7th very well. CtG is such a great year, but with you already studying Ancient History in depth with Bible Integration, I would probably consider skipping on to RtR as well.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

cbollin

Re: CTG or RTR next?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:48 am

There will be "advanced" assignment in RTR that the 3rd grader can skip if needed. Some parts of the book Augustus Caesar World might be hard for the younger one to listen --- but they don't have to "get" all of that either. There are suggestions to copy some of the charts and pages in that book to use for coloring/notebooking/read aloud for the names page for younger ones. I'm thinking the younger one will enjoy the Bible and science in RTR and even building an arch out of pudding boxes and a roman feast.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:49 am

If your 3rd grader were your "oldest," you would probably have trouble resisting doing too much with her in RTR. Most of us tend to not know when to stop with our eldest :) But it shouldn't be a problem with a second-born. Just keep in mind that she has time to do RTR again before high school, so let the history part of a 3rd grader's day be enjoyable ;)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Brenda Y Swing

Unread post by Brenda Y Swing » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks, ladies for your opinions! Just needed a little reassurance from those that have done this before. I'm looking forward to doing RTR with the kids next year, especially building the arch with pudding boxes (they'll love that)!

Brenda :)
~Brenda, enjoying MFW
Tenth year homeschooling
dd-15, ds-10, dd-7
used ADV, ECC, & AHL

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:45 am

Yep, we skipped CTG because my oldest had already done ancients at the elementary level. LOVED RTR. So far it's been our favorite year. :-) Well, except for possibly Adventures. Completely different focus and age groups on those two programs, though.

Now my oldest is doing ancients at the high school level (MFW AHL), and middle dd is getting her turn with CTG. So it all comes around. :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

cbollin

New to MFW RTR question

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:01 pm

pbt1294 wrote:I'm just starting MFW this year and am starting with RTR. I know that sounds crazy, but it is all because of my 6th grader. I really wanted to keep Hannah in the same history cycle. That is why we are starting with RTR.

Anyway, does anyone have any quick and easy ways to bring my 3rd and 4th grader up to speed on the part of history we will be studying together?

Thanks and Blessings,
Kyle
Did you make any kind of notebook last year? Can you review that kind of information with them?
Do you have a way to review Old Testament stories with them?
Did they listen in at all with what Hannah was doing last year, or is there a timeline you have to refer back to as needed?

well, the other idea would be to look through a book used in RTR called Ancient World and glance through parts of it.
-crystal

pbt1294

Re: New to MFW RTR question

Unread post by pbt1294 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:10 pm

They didn't listen to anything that we read. They were studying a totally different time period (the main reason why we switched to MFW).

Hannah did do a beautiful notebook last year! That is an excellent idea. That plus looking through the book you told me about!

Thanks so much!

Blessings,
Kyle
Kyle mother to:
Hannah (11)
Rebekah (9)
Sophia (7)
Eli (5)
Lydia (3)
Ella Grace (3mos.)
Wife to the Rev. Brent Thomas :)

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:19 pm

In addition to reading the Bible stories for those time periods, you could also use Streams Of Civilizations (when you get it with RTR). You could summarize the highlights for that time period. I know there are many who didn't like Streams on this board. But I find it a great resource. I find it easy to skim or summarize and still get plenty of useful info into my dd. You could use it along with your dd's notebook as the visual aid, KWIM.

:)
Edie

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:03 pm

To me, the most important thing is that they understand Genesis 1-3, and the fall of man. After that, I'd think they'd be okay with going to Jesus being the way to bring man back to God.

Julie

rxmom

What to do with my 3rd grader?

Unread post by rxmom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Mammajox4 wrote:We are doing RTR this year with K, 3rd, 6th. My 3rd grader hates to listen to any of the readings that I am doing. He did ECC & CTG with us and seemed to enjoy it but I didn't expect much from him then. I really want him to learn the history and science for this year but I don't want to force him to sit there and not learn anything. My kindergartner listens and answers questions and seems to get more out of it than my 3rd grader. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks Jo
Hi!
We are also doing RTR this year with a 6th grade boy, 4th grade boy, and First grade girl....the history readings do seem a bit longer this year esp. with Augustus Caesar's World (although very interesting)....This is what we are doing to help with listening skills/attn. span:

1) I like to break up the readings on days that have heavier reading (some in the a.m after bible but before other school work and some in the afternoon as a break from all our seatwork... so that we are not reading so much at once

2) My kids (all ages) are enjoying the coloring sheets that are photocopied/enlarged from the Augustus Caesars's World...as we read about that person we color them on the sheet

3) We stop periodically and take turns narrating what was just read or going over any questions or just discussing the topic. "Do you agree with such/such or disagree....What would you have done?", etc, etc. One day it dawned on my boys how much the plot/politics/schemes of this post Julius Caesar Rome resemble the saga of Star Wars (Emperor Palpitine vs the Republic). That really got them going...With the boys we have often compared the politics of Rome with that of our own republic. Narration/discussion is very important, IMHO.

4) My kids love to mold clay or playdo during readings. Sometimes they will draw picture of what is going on ....my 9 yo drew a battle scene (Brutus/Cassius vs Octavian/Antony).

With Science...things seem to be more interactive and the books keep you engaged with the experiments, demonstrations (balance against wall, etc) but we stop and look at the pictures or have each child answer a question or use other tactics such as playdo. Sometimes with younger children, summarizing complicated passages may be the best approach as MFW suggest for some of the science readings (See TM week 3 Wednesday note as example).

I know I have seen other great discussions on this topic from those much more experienced at this than I am....I need to learn how to reference archived topics...Hope this helps...

Blessings.
Delcey
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

Julie in MN

Re: What to do with my 3rd grader?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:28 pm

My son was 5th when we did RTR, but... I can do this:
rxmom wrote:I know I have seen other great discussions on this topic from those much more experienced at this than I am....I need to learn how to reference archived topics...Hope this helps...
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 6487#p6487 (3rd grader)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2303 (Augustus Caesar's World)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 11&start=0 (meeting diverse needs during RTR)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 584#p32730 (different ages & MFW)

Is that a start? I don't want to overwhelm you :)
Julie

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:47 pm

I think it's probably more "3rd grade boy" than anything else. That's such a tough age for anything school-related - at least it was here!! AND, the "Rome" part of the RTR does seem to go on a really long time if the listener isn't really into Roman history. I like Delcey's suggestions on making sure you have those hands-on components. My son does MUCH better at listening if he knows there's something "fun" coming afterwards. He also does a better job of listening if I let him color, etc. while I'm reading.

hth!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:44 am

I have a 6yo and 8yo (boys) doing RtR with their 11yo brother. I only read Roman Empire with the little guys and some picture books from the library. We started the week about bridges and arches yesterday and they are totally into that sort of thing, but the interpersonal struggles of the famous Romans and even in the myths is really way over their heads - it's enough to say to them, "Augustus Caesar was the first emperor of Rome" and leave it at that. In the afternoon my oldest and I curl up on the couch and do the other history readings together. Also, my 6yo jumps on a mini trampoline during all read-alouds - he doesn't get it all, but I'm mainly concerned that he allows the other two to get it.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

Pylegang

Unread post by Pylegang » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:40 am

Last year I did RTR with my 2nd grader and 4th grader. Our studies started well, but around week 5 I began to feel that many of the readings were above their level of interest. I searched for alternative history lesson plans/ideas and even tried pulling my own things together. After a few weeks of "wandering,” I turned back to RTR with a new resolve: to work our way through Roman History and to find ways to spark the interest of my boys. Ancient Rome is such a rich historical period to study, especially with the Bible interwoven into it! I love the way MFW integrates things across subjects.

Here are a few things that brought success to us:

• I read "August Caesar's World" aloud and took the advice of MFW: to copy the drawings from the book and allowed my boys to color those pages while I read.
• There were times when the information from “August Caesar’s World” was just too much for my young boys, so I either paraphrased, or skipped it. However, I found that after reading ACW on a regular basis, my boys grew to enjoy it! By the end of the book, they asked if there were other books by the same author. Maybe your children will grow to enjoy it as well!
• Many times we read in shorter bursts. Give yourself time to explain things that you read aloud so they understand it. I’d read ACW for a bit and have an Ancient Rome Encyclopedia nearby to bring relevant information to life.
• I used the time that we worked on the timeline as a mini review period. We would summarize things we’d learned as we added new timeline pieces. We would also look through our history notebook from time to time to revisit the material we’d already covered.
• I substituted a higher interest read aloud for one of the assigned in the RTR lesson plans. This is not to say that the read alouds that MFW chose are not terrific. I just felt that my young boys needed something a little different. There are so many great books. It is impossible to read them all, so I was okay with choosing something different. We loved “Roman Mysteries”. Another book that is super fun to read is “Detectives in Togas”. Both of these books describe Roman culture and daily life beautifully. My boys would beg for more, which is what I WANTED!
• Last year, my goals for our history studies was to expose my kids to history from a Biblical worldview, to allow them to experience things in a fun way, and to help them to discover the joys of learning.

I try very hard to cover things as planned in MFW, but no single thing fits everyone perfectly. If a change is needed to bring success in your studies, then allow yourself to feel at peace with making a tweak here or there. MFW has provided terrific guides for us to follow, use them in a way that benefits you!

Good luck!
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

cbollin

3rd grader losing his enthusiasm for learning

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:55 am

RB wrote:This school year has been a struggle with my 3rd grader, some weeks more than others. He is a wiggly boy. He is a distracted learner. Honestly school has not been smooth sailing with him...ever. Especially the stuff like learning to read and doing daily math.

But he has always, always loved to learn (science, bible, history, read-alouds) and be read to. This year that desire seems to be fading. Augustus Caesar's World did not go well. My girls and I loved it but my son dreaded it. I kind of wish I had just let him off the hook and read him library books. In the fall he still enjoyed Ancient World, and I thought he would adore learning about the Middle Ages, but it is like the light has gone off.

I liked the idea of having him in the "Family Cycle" for 2nd and 3rd, but it almost seems to have backfired. Now I'm wondering how he will do in 4th grade when it is time for him to really step up to the plate. Any ideas on how to make this work better, to help him rediscover the "love of learning", to be willing to do things he doesn't prefer, and to be self-disciplined? Maybe it's just February, but honestly it has been months of struggle.
Thanks.
let him off the hook and read library books of high interest that may or may not be related to history.

What does he like to do? what is he enthusiastic about?
would he want to build forts and dress up like a knight?
would he like to eat with his hands like their did in middle ages? -- first let's get through some math, then you can snack like a warrior

just little pieces of the puzzle. I don't force my youngest to be part of the cycle programs - she's not ready, well except when it involved cooking, or roaring like a dinosaur. or being in the middle of science.....

-crystal

RB

Re: 3rd grader losing his enthusiasm for learning

Unread post by RB » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:10 am

Thanks, Crystal. I think I needed someone to confirm that it's OK to do a bit of interest-driven stuff with him. In the fall (during the battle to make him listen to Augustus Caesar's World, and since he hates coloring the pages didn't help) he asked me to read the Diane Stanley book about Cleopatra. He kept asking for more and we read it all at once and he was fully engaged. He also still very much enjoys Usborne's Time Traveler so I think I'll read a couple pages of that to him each day and get lots of high interest library books. Building forts and dressing like a knight would be right up his alley :-) Legos and Narnia are the things he is currently most excited about...maybe we can figure out a way to incorporate that. And the eating with hands like a warrior idea---brilliant!!!
He's really a great kid and I feel sad that school has become such a battle for us. I've pondered whether there is a learning disability involved, but reading has finally clicked pretty well and letter reversals are fading and we use All About Spelling to get some phonics review and dictation along with spelling. He is about to finish Singapore 2A a little before his 9th birthday, so even though we're not exactly on schedule I think it'll be OK.
So hard, sometimes, to find the balance between being too relaxed and pushing too hard, since each child is so very very different.
Thanks for letting me think "out loud" here!
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

MOMS

Unread post by MOMS » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:38 am

We school Mon-Thurs & always take Fridays to do projects associated with whatever we're learning.
Not always MY favorite thing but the kids enjoy it. Going for walks, getting messy, playing ball......
whatever it takes to show the kids some fun. Educational movies that go along with what we're learning,
books on cd or lamplighter cd's (they love those!!!) Friday's is usually focused on their interests & not so
much on my own likes & dislikes.....& of course much much prayer.
RB wrote:I appreciate your ideas, MOMS :)
We've skipped quite a few projects this year, partially because time has been spent on attitude issues, but I think you're right that it's important to make time for the messy, fun stuff.
We're big fans of audio drama (Jonathan Park, Focus on the Family Radio Theater) so I'll have to look for the Lamplighter ones. Any favorites?
"Hedge of Thorns" is definitely #1 for or my kids! Also one called something like "Sir Malcom"
**Rachel** married to Hondo
2nd yr homeschooler
Bubba 10, Sato 7, Mia 4 & Baby Hondo 2

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:43 pm

I like the idea of letting him off the hook.
I like the idea of setting aside a day to be sure you do hands-on.

I'm also thinking back to teaching my wiggly 3rd grader. That year, my dd was a 12th grader I think, and sometimes I'd have them do something together or have her teach him. I remember that it was sometimes hard because she learned best by sitting still and paying attention, while he, well, didn't.

So, if it doesn't distract your girls too much, it might help to let him move around. I mean seriously, my son rolled around on the floor, perched on a giant exercise ball, and built pyramids out of Legos (I guess that was in CTG). Sometimes I would test him and ask him to repeat back what I had just said -- and he always could when he was moving. However, when I got fed up and asked him to sit still, then testing him failed -- "I can't remember what you said, mom, because I was concentrating on not moving."

A few school activities just required sitting still, like practicing cursive. In that case, I still tried to put in some movement before or after. HWT had them do some stretching exercises before writing, so we continued with that. There was always the option of a quick 10 jumping jacks, or chin-ups on the bar in the doorway, or even going outdoors to run around our house once.

Sometimes I thought I was coddling him too much. But other times I remembered my dh telling me that if he could only have stood up next to his desk, maybe he would have done well in school. I have never met a man who knew more about history than my dh, yet you would never know it from his school records. So all-in-all, I'm glad I could adapt our school for my wiggly boy.
RB wrote:He is a wiggly boy. He is a distracted learner. He likes to try to be in charge. Honestly school has not been smooth sailing with him...ever.
Here are a bunch of threads on wiggly kids (even the ideas for kindergarten applied to my son up into middle school :) ). You can see it's a popular topic and one dear to my heart.

Wiggly: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1196
Attitudes: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=871
Not liking school: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3909
Grumbling: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3967
Training character: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11029
Activity ideas: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 859#p74856
Kinesthetic learners: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=3506
Adding drama: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=3833
Seatwork: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=2486
Alternatives to coloring: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=2699
Adapting ECC to 2nd grade: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1174

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:18 am

Julie, you truly are the linking queen! I can't wait till I have time to read through those threads. Thanks for the encouragement to allow the wiggly ones to move around - I try to let my 1st grader move as much as he needs to, but it's so distracting for ME that I do sometimes get fed up and make him be still - how do I balance?! Eek.

Anyway - RB, just agreeing with others' suggestions, but thank you for posting this question; I needed the answers too! :)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2