3rd grade for RtR?

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
MOMS

Re: 3rd grader losing his enthusiasm for learning

Unread post by MOMS » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 am

Just a word of encouragement, we spent this morning making posters for africa & my 10yr old ds said "This is fun, this is the kind of thing that makes a kid WANT to stay in school" :-)
**Rachel** married to Hondo
2nd yr homeschooler
Bubba 10, Sato 7, Mia 4 & Baby Hondo 2

RB

Unread post by RB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks again for the help over here! I am just getting to read some of those great links, Julie. (We've been dealing with what seems to be whooping cough for a bit.) Once we are out and about again we plan to get an exercise ball :)

Taking some pressure off seems to be working. I told him he no longer needs to listen to any readings from "Streams", and each day he can either join us for SoTW and Medieval World or we can explore with other books together. Interestingly he is often choosing to join us! Today he colored a wonderful picture of a cathedral with stained glass window and gargoyles. As much as he hates coloring he actually loves drawing, so I think that is also a good option.

Blessings and thanks for ideas and encouragement!
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:57 pm

RB wrote:Taking some pressure off seems to be working. I told him he no longer needs to listen to any readings from "Streams", and each day he can either join us for SoTW and Medieval World or we can explore with other books together. Interestingly he is often choosing to join us!
I get that....right now as a family we are reading a chapter a week from The Story (because our church sermons are following that each week). We simply invite youngest (3rd grade) "do you want to listen to daddy read The Story chapter?" and she will refuse "nope no story. no kid konnections. no church tonight. church tomorrow." Then, 3 minutes later, she's wondered off the computer, and onto big sister's lap to sit and listen. sometimes even brings in a regular bible and thumbs through it.

works for me. letting God handle the details.

-crystal