Schedule - Condensing the end of RTR?

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
MelissaB

Schedule - Condensing the end of RTR?

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 am

Only 5 more weeks of RTR, can we stop now?
rebeccal2002 wrote:Hi, I haven't posted in a loooong time, but I constantly check the boards for encouragement and ideas, usually there is a post that I can apply to our situation. We're trying to finish up RTR, we're on week 30. I know we are so close to finishing, but spring/summer fever is just so here, whispering in my ear that we should break for the summer! My 7th grader still has a couple of mods in Gen Sci to finish, plus she's half way thru with her 2nd prog. press guide (Bronze Bow).

We would only get thru Saturn for the core's science. Otherwise, RTR history is covering the explorers and my TM for Exploration to 1850, seems to only focus on N. American Explorers. I read somewhere that some just skip the end of RTR and move on toExp to 1850 at this point. Would that work? I just want to start Exp to 1850 after Labor Day and have a summer break too. I have it planned to stop half-way thru July anyway, but I'm not sure we're going to hang on that long....Up to this point I've schooled year round, but my kids are growing up and are more antsy this time of year (me too, I guess).

Any ideas either way, I know I can do what ever I want, that's the beauty of homeschooling. I would continue to finish up K and I would still work with my 9 year old on his reading, this summer. And more time for pre-k with my 4 y.o. and almost 2 y.o. Thank in advance.

Rebecca
Our experience is that sometimes you just need a break from all school. We did year-round schooling for several years, doing math/lang/science during our "summer" months. This year, I realize that I'm almost burned out. We love school. But we need a break. So, this summer, it's no school for at least a month. :)

Ultimately, whether you finish the curriculum or not is up to your sweet Husband/Principal and you. (Isn't it great to be married to the principal? Love it.)

And you're welcome to join our "No School This Summer" policy. ;)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Re: Only 5 more weeks of RTR, can we stop now?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 am

Hi Rebecca,
Agreeing with Melissa that you can take a break if you all decide to!

I'm probably one of the folks you've heard say that there is overlap in the study of the explorers. I probably made it sound like the end of RTR and the beginning of EX1850 are exactly the same, but of course they're not. I just think it's an easy place to condense for those who need that. The age of the explorers is an important/fascinating time, but with both manuals on hand and the book basket options, I think it's easy enough to combine there.

As for the other subjects, you could either take a week to finish them all up, or save them for the fall, or drop them if that works best. Carrying over a program from one year into the next was never a problem for my son, but if you really want to start a new program, don't worry, all teachers have to make decisions about what to include and what to leave out. So for the astronomy, you could have a final week and finish it all up, or save it for next year, or skip the rest and just put the book in book basket next year. And if you haven't read about Galileo, that could be bedtime reading?

I'd have no problem not finishing a science text in 7th grade, although of course I'm on my youngest so may be more lax than some... I would probably give my son a speech about how high school credits don't go away like that :) I do think the end of General has a nice study of the human body, and the student may not get to study that again in high school unless they get to Apologia advanced science or another extra. You could always keep the text and consider having him read it at some point, or use it as part of health at some point?

Not sure if you're doing the composers, but those are reviewed in EX1850, during the time they actually lived. Shakespeare's a nice study, but your kids will read one of his plays in high school, and you could keep an eye out for a theater experience (Shakespeare in the park is a great family event in some cities) or a movie when they are older (you know Hollywood, not usually family productions).

Just some random thoughts to throw into the mix as you think this over,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

rebeccal2002

Re: Only 5 more weeks of RTR, can we stop now?

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Thank you! The principal decided that we would finish, but we would try to teach 2 days of lessons per day. He is going to read our extra history/Bible in the evenings at Read Aloud time. We're done with all the Read Alouds anyway. :) We tried this last night and it was successful. History is so much more interesting when Dad reads it. :)

We're going to just breeze thru and hit the highlights. And then we can be done at the end of the month! Hooray!

I think we'll be on a Tradtional schedule from now on.

Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

Julie in MN

Need help condensing RTR

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:04 pm

chefgirl96 wrote:Hi all! I am mostly a lurker here but always start my year scouring the archives for new ideas. This last year I had a difficult pregnancy followed by an emergency csection of a preemie (my fourth living child). Needless to say, my older two children (6th & 2nd) had spotty days off earlier in the year and quite a few weeks off after my csection. I have never been this far behind at this point....I would normally take an 8 week break to avoid burnout.

They were able to continue with independent work more so than history & science. So that is where my main concern lies.

We are currently on week 22 for history & week 25 for science. My kids are really enjoying astronomy & still moderately enjoying history. I have been having my older DD read about half of the history (I've been skipping as much Streams as reasonable) and science, and I read the other half. We have book basket a few days per week. Doubling up lessons is not really an option because we also have an at home business and our busy season has already started, leaving my husband and I a bit overwhelmed.

As a side note, my mom is having hip replacement surgery next Wednesday and will be staying with us for 2-3 weeks. I foresee school not being a top priority during this time in favor of ministering to her & relationship building.

As far as I see it, my options are:

1. Break after next week for 6 weeks or so and resume where we left off. Continue with EXP after we are done with RTR.

2. Continue through the summer with no break, starting EXP just a little later than I had hoped.

3. Break for 6 weeks or so, leaving history & science unfinished and move on to EXP.

4. Somehow condense things...take a 3 week break...Finish RTR in 6 weeks?? Take another short break and start EXP mid September.

I really want to do #4. #1 just would always leave me feeling behind? #2 wouldn't work for my sanity. #3 might leave too big of a learning gap??

Any words of wisdom or plans for how to condense/reduce would be greatly appreciated.....
Hi Rebecca, nice to have you chime in :)

I wonder if you ran across this recent post (also from a Rebecca!), where Melissa and I threw out some ideas:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14049

Does anything in there apply? Could we brainstorm some other specifics for you?
Julie

chefgirl96

Re: Need help condensing RTR

Unread post by chefgirl96 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:39 am

Yes, actually I did read that post from Rebecca. And I did read the idea of combining the end of RTR with the beginning of EXP... But since I haven't purchased EXP yet I can't really see how that looks. How many/ which weeks of RTR would I combine with which weeks of EXP?

What about all the weeks 22-25 and a bit later on covering Chinese/Japanese history? Could I just eliminate those altogether?

I appreciate all the wisdom as I feel a little lost here.
Rebecca - Joyfully married for 13 years
DD(11.5), DD (8.5), DS (5.5), a beautiful baby DD & two babes in Heaven
Currently using: RTR
Previously used Adventures, ECC, CtG, and K; Former HOD user

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:25 am

My dh owns a business, too. Imagining with you how caring for a mom after surgery, plus business, plus school... that could really make finishing the curriculum genuinely a challenge. And I identify deeply with your desire to do a thorough job in their schooling and complete the history/science this year.

Can I just throw out another idea to share with you? I have no idea if this will really work; just s/thing to add: Could your oldest daughter have a scheduled time to read history to the 8 yr. old? (Not sure how much your 5 yr. little man will really need to know a/b Chinese history and Genghis Kahn [wk. 24]. ;) )

Another thought..If your oldest has good reading skills, maybe you could ask her to read the history and the astronomy, then schedule a separate time each day for her to "teach" the youngest ones, showing them pictures from the book and sharing with them all that she remembers. Narration is a wonderful way to help her remember what she's learned, as well. And may be much more interesting than just "reading" the material aloud.

Feel free to LET GO of the Astronomy projects.

And realizing that you already know this, but just echoing it with you: They will learn so much greater lessons helping care for their grandma, far greater value than anything they will learn in history or science.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:50 am

I totally agree with Melissa that you have an opportunity to show your children the kinds of values and priorities that aren't possible when you're packing them up for public school every day. I know that from personal experience.

And you don't need to worry that you are teaching them poor student habits, because they are right there to see what is occupying your time. They know that you are not polishing your nails instead of teaching them :)

The year that we got behind due to family illness, I just did half of RTR and all of math and English. The next year, we started in the middle of RTR and finished that in a semester, so by the end of January. We continued that way until high school, and it actually was a nice mid-winter change for me (I don't think my son ever knew which manual I was using). I'd have to check for sure, but I think we stopped after week 21 in science and after week 18 in history. I figured that MFW was good stuff, so why skip part of it just to change manuals on a certain date.

If that idea doesn't work for you and you really want to condense, I would say that it can work. I don't have my manuals with me, so I'm just looking at the samples on the MFW website, but I'd say you could think about these:
- there is overlap in explorers, not identical but it shouldn't be too hard to use book basket and read-alouds to mix up the explorers at the end of RTR with those at the beginning of EX1850
- EX1850 does not leave out other nations, so you should be able to pick up on anything you dearly wanted to include about Asia when that area comes up again in your studies, especially if you still have your RTR materials on hand, using either book basket or an extra 15 minutes of history reading
- if you want to finish Bible, I would think that would be a nice thing to do in summer, maybe including Grandma
- if you continue bedtime reading during the summer, you could read about Asia, or Planets, or whatever your children ask for, very informally, with a mention of any activities as something fun they might want to do on their own the next day
- the end of EX1850 is a 4 week state study, and if you take that out, you have 4 extra weeks you could use at the beginning of EX1850 to cover any missed areas; then you could maybe do the state study as an extracurricular along the way or if it's a writing emphasis, then it could replace a part of your English?

Maybe in another week I'll be able to look through my son's notebooks and come up with some things I hadn't thought of, but for now I'm hoping that Melissa and I have given you some reassurance that you have options!

Julie

rebeccal2002

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:06 pm

chefgirl96 wrote:Any words of wisdom or plans for how to condense/reduce would be greatly appreciated.....
Hi, Rebecca! I'm the "other" Rebecca. :)

We're only condensing the last four weeks to two weeks, but I thought I'd chime anyway. We've dropped anything labeled optional or advanced. Any reading that seems redundant is reduced to just the 1st listed reading (sometimes there's reading in Story of the World, Med World, and Streams that talk about the same thing). I dropped Art and the Composers some time ago, it was too stressful to fit in. My kids are very artistic on their own and we do listen to the music (been listening to the Beethoven as background music). Listening to the CDs about the composer's life was like pulling teeth. We can't seem to understand the narrator...we get lost trying to focus on what he is saying. We'll try again the next time we go thru the cycle.

As to science, I've had my 11 yo read to my 9 yo if the little ones start acting out and need me. We do the experiments if I can get everything, but we've skipped some and just watched it on YouTube and they were fine with that. They do the planet pages, by telling me what to write, I just make a copy for each notebook (much faster this way). Takes 5-10 minutes instead of HOURS! And I'm doing science every day now (except Fridays), instead of the scheduled 2-3 days a week.

I don't know if you're wondering about the latin vocab cards, but my kids are doing the card and the sentences on the same day, doesn't seem too hard for them so far. We're still keeping the Memory verse, to one a week and if we don't get to the end of the selection, that's okay with me.

It is working out just rushing through this way. My DH is reading the extra history in the evenings. (The 2 littles are already in bed, so it takes just about 20 minutes). We figured it was better to hit the highlights than to skip the topics althogether. But I'm sure that if you dropped some topics, you'll be okay. It happens in PS all the time, not that that's any excuse, but still...

Anyway, I hope this helps. I'm sorry I don't have more experience. (I'll know more how it went in a couple of weeks!) Last year we took August off, we had 6 more weeks or so to finish CTG, then took 2 weeks off and started in with RTR, now after this year we're back to the tradidtional schedule and I hope it will stay that way. I have to wholeheartedly agree that LIFE and taking care of people (old and young) is much more important than finishing "on time." Hugs.

Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:58 am

What I would do... perhaps not the most brilliant choice. :-)
I would keep them doing their math and reading everyday. Reading and discussing good literature and classics just covers over a multitude of gaps.
If you can't find the time to do great read alouds, then simplify their reading with good books they can read themselves. Have your discussions at breakfast or dinner.

Then I would read/do all the Bible assignments and do the basic history lessons.
And skip everything else for the summer. >> Science, art, grammar, language arts, etc. - just skip it all. Remember this is one short season in life. AND your youngest one will be repeating RtR in the cycle, correct? So you will be covering all this info again.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog