Science - Need another science, already did RTR science

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
Lucy

Science - Need another science, already did RTR science

Unread post by Lucy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:05 am

Need another science, Astronomy already done
3koolkids wrote:This is my first year with MFW and I am starting R to R and we completed Exploring Creation With Astronomy last year. My children will be starting 3rd grade and I am looking for an alternative program for the 2nd half of the year when the Astronomy is scheduled. Any suggestions or comments?
Just a thought here especially since your kids are one the young side to be doing RTR you may consider calling MFW and seeing if they would let you purchase the Genesis for Kids book used in year 2. You would of course not do all of the experiments but could easily find books on the topics to add to book basket and do some of those experiments keeping a notebook of scientific observations. This is just one idea and I am sure there will be others.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:26 am

Another thought might be to replace Astronomy with one of the Zoology books by Apologia. So far MFW is not using those, but I have no idea what they are using later for year 5. Maybe someone else knows about that?

Dawn

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:29 pm

The zoology books will not be used since we did a complete study of zoology in year 4 using God's Design. So that is an option for you too.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri May 02, 2008 5:51 pm

HSmommi2mine wrote:Last year we did the Apologia Astronomy book (we were using a different curriculum) and next year it is scheduled into R to R. Would it totally mess things up if I just used another study I have been wanting to do for the second half of the year?

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:08 pm

MFW does a great job of coordinating all the subjects to all fit together but it's flexible too. This year we are doing EX1850 and we're not doing the scheduled botany because we did it with two other families last year. When we did it, we skipped astronomy, so we'll add it in this year.

I love the MFW recommendations, but appreciate that the program doesn't fall apart if you swap this for that...

Find something else fun to do instead of repeating astronomy.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:07 am

We just did The Body Book
Kristinemomof3 wrote:2 of my children just did The Body Book at our co-op last year. So I'm wondering if I can just do one science for the whole year in place of it.
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:47 am

I would consider also getting the "facts of life" book and spending a week or 2 on that this year, if you haven't already covered that. Important stuff!

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:24 am

mrs_mike98 wrote:How tied in to the main curriculum is the Astronomy? I ask because we had started Astronomy before finding MFW, and are about to finish it up.
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:07 am

It would be easy to substitute another book since you have already done that one.

It is integrated only so much in the fact that this is a time period when astronomy was really being explored with Galilao and others.

Lucy

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:27 am

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:39 am

MFW does a great job of tying in the science and reading books to the main theme of the program but it's not so tied in that it can't be swapped around to fit the family. Two families we know wanted to do botany (again the Apologia Elem. series) with us so we did that instead, just swapping it around [Botany is used in Year 4].

Anyway, we DID miss out on the great MFW comments and suggestions for activities to substitute (remember, they test the programs with pilot families and can find out what activities are difficult or don't always work). If you substitute something for the astronomy, you are on your own, but if you've already done astronomy, you probably DO want to do that.