Book Basket in RTR

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
cbollin

Book Basket in RTR

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:30 am

Finding videos for RTR
LSH in MS wrote:My library will not do ILL for videos. I really wanted my children to see the Schlessinger DVDs for ancient civilizations but they are $30 each which I can't afford.

Any ideas on how to obtain these more cheaply? I was going to see if my library might buy them. I checked on Ebay they don't have them. I'm kind of discouraged because I think my boys would enjoy seeing the civilizations they study. They love ancient civilizations. Netflix didn't have them either.
Lori,

hmmmmm.....
Are there are christian/private schools around you that might allow you to check out their copies? Or possibly take the children in and watch the vids there? Our church's elementary school lets us do stuff like that.

Some public schools extend this courtesy to homeschoolers.

but I don't know an online source.

--crystal

Sue in MN

Re: Finding videos for RTR

Unread post by Sue in MN » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:11 am

Our library didn't have them either. Just do a search for Rome, Romans, or Ancient Civilizations on your library's website. You should find something that you can use. Our library has David Macaulay's Roman City video which was very good. If you do the same search from Blockbuster or Netflix then you should find something interesting there too. You don't have to use exactly what Marie recommends.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:29 am

Lori,
I agree with Sue -- try searching your library for *any* videos on the specific civilization. Perhaps they carry other ones where you could see the history.

For viewing the Holy Lands area, I know Crystal has mentioned the series, "That the World May Know," which is wonderful. See if a library has that.

I have also heard of a series showing ancient Rome called Drive Thru History, published by Moody Press. My library system doesn't carry them, but they are on sale at LibraryAndEd and other places lately. I trust Moody Press (although Schlessinger also seems to be a Judeo-Christian company).

I have also heard that Netflix carries some MFW videos, but I haven't tried myself. We did receive Blockbuster for a gift for several months, but they didn't have many educational videos.

Also try searching with different words. My feeling is that the folks who enter items onto the library computer system aren't standardizing anything yet. I'm sure you've looked up "Ancient Rome," but did you try "Schelssinger" or "Schlessinger Media," or the series title "ancient civilizations for children," etc.?

But again, look around for other videos if you can't find the particular ones.

And if you're ever near another library system, take a peek inside :o) Especially if it is near a Christian college or school, as Crystal has mentioned. There can be a big difference.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:42 pm

I also recommend the Drive Thru History videos. Do a web search. These are from a Christian perspective and are anything but dry and boring. My 7 yo son, for example, is really wanting to go to Capedocia. Oh, and no surprise, but none of the local public school second graders in the neighborhood are dying to go there... The host of the video often ties the BIble into what he's saying ("and this is where Paul addressed the Colossians"). The videos are great for adults (I've learned a lot watching them) but do have a few pre-teen humor attempts (ie. a fountain that's a peeing dog, showing the Roman toilets, the host sort of trips on himself or does other dumb stuff like that). These attempts don't dominate the videos at all, but do make the kids snicker a little.

The neat thing about these videos is that my kids are really learning their Bible geography, Bible history, and they ASK for these videos when we have free time: "Oh, Dad, please let us watch the last part of Greece!" Usually the videos we deem "educational" don't get requested at our house.

Also, if you aren't into buying videos, consider looking at on-line TV guides if you get cable or have satellite (I know a lot of homeschoolers don't...). I know that the History Channel and Discovery Channel have some appropriate shows (and quite a few that aren't). You might want to check their online schedules, tape a show and preview it to see if it's appropriate. We've taped a few on Egypt, etc.

HTH
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:37 pm

Thanks everyone! What an encouragement to check the board and see so many replies!
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Fly2Peace

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:59 am

Schlessinger videos while really well done, and good, do reference "millions of years" in multiple movies. Just a heads up. Maybe not the particular ones recommended by MFW, but it is something to be aware of for the others.
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)

cbollin

ordering RtR today - help with issues - book basket

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:51 am

my3boys wrote:Well, we are finishing up CtG - our second year with MFW. We have enjoyed it and there are a lot of things that I love, but the thing that I've had the most problems with is literature. I want to provide a literature rich education for my boys. I understand that MFW is meant to have this element added to it, but I've found this part difficult. Our library never seems to have more than a couple books off the reading list - and we like more fiction than is on the lists. I bought books the second year, but I didn't choose or schedule them in very well and I ended up with quite a few books that we just didn't use/finish - and books are expensive!

I am planning on buying books again, but I'm not really sure what to choose and how to go about it. Also, how do you get you kids to read when they are not self-motivated - do you schedule by pages or time/day or something else?

I'm not really sure there is a question here - just looking for some input I guess.
Literature in RTR compared to CTG: one thing to keep in mind is that it is much harder to have good children's historical fiction from ancients. So it becomes much harder to find in libraries. Even my systems didn't have great amounts of stuff for CTG. we ended up just reading good books from general list.

In RTR, however, it becomes easier to get those Shakespeare for children books, or audio books, or even a video of a play. It gets easier to get something like King Arthur, or Beowulf.

I found the book basket lists in RTR to have a lot more fiction titles and options than CTG. Many of them will have * next to them --- you might be able to find more of those in libraries, or easier to find for purchase.

I wrote this on another forum yesterday....so some of it might not completely apply, but it might help....
Well, in RTR in the literature department here are some highlights.... (there are over 400 titles in book basket to cover history/art/music composers/science enrichment)
You'll get times to read some Shakespeare in RTR in several sections --both Julius Caesar, and then even in middle ages stuff too.
even some books listed for jr. high readings too. use those.
there's time to be introduced to Beowulf. King Arthur. Don't forget books like Whipping Boy, Adam of the Road. You'll get time to do some Canterbury Tales. There are some Henty books recommended for older students.
and don't forget the Classics lists at the back of the manual for reading that doesn't have to be connected to history themes.

There's a lot of literature in RTR. My oldest is a my avid reader and we've done great in MFW. She loves to read everything. Longer stuff. harder stuff, or even to grab a below level book and enjoy reading it to younger kids (her sisters and friends)

and those are just highlights -- that's not everything.

I found a lot more books at library for RTR than I did in ancient history.

I think if you get the books on basket list and talk with your child as she reads them or you read together, and use narration -- you can have a very literature rich RTR year if you go that route. We did.

how to motivate them when they aren't happy happy joy joy on reading? hmm... sometimes it takes dramatic read alouds with them having the book in front of them, sometimes it is food incentives to complete a goal,....

-crystal

baileymom

Re: ordering RtR today - help with issues

Unread post by baileymom » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:09 pm

Alison,
I always feel ill-equipped to answer questions like this, since we have only been really homeschooling for a few years, but I could very much relate to your concerns. We are on Wk 23 of RtR, and did CtG last year. Our library did not have many of the Book Basket books to add in at all for CtG, but Crystal is right. I think that's an Ancient History thing. They had a lot more of RtR's Book Basket Books available

Here's how we're making MFW more fitting:

-I buy all the * books in the Book Basket list
- I request all the others in the list I can from the Library (online, so I can just pick them up)
-as for the Literature suggestions (by grade), they have been pretty easy to just get from the Library, and only purchase if one of the kids really, really loved them

And, as for scheduling them in (so they get completed as well as started), sometimes I will just say, "OK, there's this many pages in this book, and we'll be studying this subject for so long, so, let's read this many pages a day for this many days..." I'll even try to write it down, since, you know, kids do much better when you write something down, and they can't say, "But, you didn't tell me..."

Also, you mentioned not being able to really pinpoint age appropriateness in some of the books. What I've seen, is that usually if the book isn't for everyone in the family, it [the RTR book basket list] will say something like "for Grade 4+" (or something similar)

Another thing I am realizing, is that (sadly) my 7 yr old boy does not enjoy reading like my girls, and I'm just going to have to approach the whole Reading/Literature/Great Books thing much differently with him. Non-fiction, and short, easily accomplished fiction, are just about the only things he will do right now. But I'm hoping, as I find more adventurous, manly, totally awesome books, he'll turn around :)

So, that's how we do it...in a waaay too long winded answer. HTH
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm agreeing with Crystal on the RTR literature being plenty.

About obtaining books, I usually purchase books in advance (or as the year progresses), and I plan on about one per month, minus December, and a couple of those I plan to read aloud or use an audiobook while my son is catching up on his independent reading. I have never rushed my kids into higher literature, since I figure they have their entire lives to read adult books and only a few for all the wonderful kids books out there, but I'll share more specifics below.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 222#p60222
Last edited by Julie in MN on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

sojen

Unread post by sojen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Julie in MN wrote:We've used a lot of audiobooks over the years. Depending on your child's learning styles, audiobooks can be a great blessing to allow children to experience good literature, hear good vocabulary, and avoid burn-out. (If he's not auditory, he might listen while following along in some books.) For instance, during RTR he listened to a Beowolf-based audiobook from Jonathan Park.
We are a big audio book family. It amazes me how many books we can get through just listening to tid-bits here and there on the way to the grocery store, ballet, the park, really where ever. It has really helped my daughter enjoy books that otherwise might be too big or have print too small.

I was also going to throw this out there: If your library is lacking and you were considering SL anyway, could you just buy the readers that go along with RTR?
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.