Science - Astronomy notebook questions

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
LSH in MS

Science - Astronomy notebook questions

Unread post by LSH in MS » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:47 am

Did you start a separate Astronomy notebook?
DS4home wrote:We are in week 21 of RTR and just beginning the Astronomy book. My question is this: How many of you started a new notebook just for astronomy verses just continue using our big multi-subject binder. The TM says we could do either, so I'm wondering which route most of you have taken.

I'm wondering about the number of pages this unit will produce? If I get new binders, would an small 1/2 inch binder be big enough?
So for all those who have gone before... what did you do with this?

Dawn
We just added it to our English,Writing etc notebook. We put the Astronomy cover page on the back of the notebook cover and filed it under the Science tab. We did 1-2 pages per week so a 1/2 " binder would be fine if you wanted to do it separately.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi Dawn,
We just finished astronomy and did use a separate notebook. Ds enjoyed making his notebook cover on the computer. (He made a big milky way with a big "You Are Here" arrow on it, LOL!) I think it was scheduled that way, with making a separate binder and a cover and all.

However, now that we are done, I could just move it in his big binder and re-use the smaller binder for our next science unit, but for now I'm keeping it as is, as ds's own "astronomy textbook" for future review.

Ours ended up with 40-some pages. With the page protectors we use, it fits nicely in a 1-inch binder without being overly full. A few of our pages are "extras" such as experiment pages & photos.

We really enjoyed the Astronomy. Have fun!
Julie
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Thank you ladies for 'showing me' how you did it. The extra insight is helpful as I try to look ahead. I've been off the loop for a few days, but thank you for replying :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

cbollin

Apologia Notebooking Journal?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:48 pm

microcarter wrote:We will be using RTR in the fall and I am wondering if anyone has used the Apologia Astronomy Notebooking Journal that goes along with Exploring Creation with Astronomy used in RTR. This seems like a great way for kids to keep track of what they are learning and to help unfocused kids (like mine!) to stay a little more on track.

Does anyone have any pros or cons they'd like to share? Would this be too much with how MFW plans out the science in RTR? Unfortunately, I won't get my RTR until the NC homeschool conference at the end of May.
Here are my reasons that I decided not to buy the notebooking journal. It may be that my reasons for not buying are the same reasons that make you go and get it.

*cost.. another $24 to essentially have a lot of papers to write on
*each of the questions that show in the sample of the notebooking journal are already in the text book itself.
*the cross word puzzles are extra and not in the text. there might be a few extra activities.

so... why not just use regular paper? to write the stuff from the book?

*although having the questions on paper might help my child to listen better, I can do that in other teaching techniques. Some kids, it might help to ask the questions as you go along in the reading. others might ask it after the reading and look back. some kid -- ask the questions out loud before you read, and after you read.

If you have a need to help them learn to take notes from text and you have the budget, you can use it, or use regular paper. I think the intent of the notebook journal is done in the way that MFW uses the book. I just always got the idea that it can be done on regular paper.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Question about Apologia Astronomy in RTR

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:51 pm

Agreeing with Crystal that it will vary from person to person, but I also didn't make the extra purchase & am still good with that decision :) A couple of my reasons -

- MFW has you create a notebook, with sections for each planet etc., so it was already in my lesson plans & free :)

- To me, MFW uses more of a "notebook technique," while the Apologia one feels more like a "workbook" to me, but that might just be me.

- Making the notebook & doing all the projects kept us plenty on-track and engaged in Astronomy. We loved it!

- There are (or were?) some free notebooks online and I didn't even use those more than once or twice. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 262#p35262

- MFW uses Apologia books over only one semester, so there is less time or need to add extras like lapbooking.

- My son often types his notebook pages on the computer & doesn't want any pencil work that he can avoid, so "pretty papers" have no interest to him... and he is able to create cool effects on the computer when he wants to.

I'm sure if you try them, you'll either love them or you'll resell them for a good price. You can be the one to answer questions about them next year :)
microcarter wrote:Julie, which semester do you use Apologia in RTR? I was really looking forward to this so I hope it's the first semester!
Angie,
Sorry to say that it's second semester. But not to fear! First semester's study of the human body is excellent, also.

You can view the topics over the year here:
http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/rtrsample.pdf

Have fun!
Julie

microcarter

Unread post by microcarter » Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 am

MFW has you create a notebook, with sections for each planet etc., so it was already in my lesson plans & free :)
Hmmm...this tiny statement may very well help me decide. I have two children with special needs and an upcoming kindergartner (suspect he may have special needs). While I really like MFW, it literally takes us all day to wade through school with all the different issues we deal with. To have something we don't have to "create" could be quite wonderful for us even if it costs extra.

I guess I'll check it out at the Homeschool Conference when I pick up my RTR. If I do use it I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out. I would still like to hear from someone who has already used it though. :)
Angie

dh of 22 years Danny
dd Sage 11
ds Knox 7
ds Kase 4

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat May 01, 2010 9:09 am

So, this is being written in a tone that says, ok you ask strangers on the internet for pro’s and con’s of using this…. You the mama. You get the final decision. There is no right or wrong on it.

One con to consider (and it might or might not apply to you)…. Will you become the worksheet Gestapo with that $24 consumable workbook with your children? Do your worksheet, do your worksheet! I spent $24 on it so do your worksheet! It’s a lot of money, and a lot of worksheets. Will that be a problem for your kids or you if they don’t do every single worksheet possible especially when many of them can be done as oral discussion questions?

Are you the type of teacher who will buy this journal as a teaching tool to help your children’s needs, or will it become a do your worksheet where you feel like you wasted your money?

a Pro to consider: some children really would benefit from the notebook pages as fill in the picture graphic worksheet. some do.

My special needs middle gal -- did better at making her own stuff and really knowing what she learned.

good luck. but as you go to your convention and look in person at the book, keep that part in mind. It still might be that your family spends the money to get it done. If you do end up with them, let us know how it works out over the semester. If it is a tool that will help your special learners, that will be a fun time to rejoice with you!

niki

Unread post by niki » Sat May 01, 2010 9:37 am

I'd just like to share...

We are just finishing our Astronomy in RTR (LOVED IT). Printed off notebook pages from the "extra's" at the apologia website for that book. They've worked as well as blank paper.

BUT, that said, I have a child that will be motivated by using the apologia notebook. I've looked at the Botany notebook as well as she and for us it will be a tool for better effort and time investment in her work. IMO and for my situation, it's worth the purchase for me...not feeling the need to have it for all of my children, but I haven't decided yet. It is certainly an extra and as we all know good and well extras are not necessary, but we can help customize our school to fit our individual children.

Just my 2 cents, because it was rolling around in my head too. And, the author prefaces the notebook by stating not to do everything in the notebook as well. HTH.
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat May 01, 2010 9:57 am

At Jeannie Fulbright's website, you can click on her Notebook Pages link on the left, and then click on the "Exploring Creation With Astronomy" picture. That will take you to a free version of a notebook that has some pages (only 53). It's not in color, and doesn't look as detailed as the sample for the $24 notebook, but it might be something to use instead for some people.

For some reason, my social, perfectionist, wiggly girl loves workbooks, so I can understand purchasing something like that to go along with the book. Even if I make pages in Photoshop or Word or Startwrite and print them out, it's still not as good as having a real workbook to her. But, she is slowly getting over that.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

microcarter

Unread post by microcarter » Mon May 03, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the "food for thought". Sometimes it's nice to
ask strangers on the internet for pro’s and con’s
just to help me wade through the clutter of my own thoughts.
This will be my first year using the student worksheets & I guess I was thinking that all the positives that people enumerated about the new MFW student worksheets might also apply to the notebooking journal for science. I will take a closer look at them trying to keep in mind all the thoughtful advice.
Angie

dh of 22 years Danny
dd Sage 11
ds Knox 7
ds Kase 4

TriciaMR

Exploring Creation with Astronomy notebooking pages?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:03 am

ncmom2boys wrote:Is this recommended by MFW or will we make our own in RtR? I *think* that the notebooking pages/books are new this year. Has anyone used this instead of just making your own?

Thanks!
There are some free ones out there. If you go to Jeannie Fulbright's website (google is your friend), you can find them there under "Notebook Pages". She has a younger elementary set and an older elementary set. I was thinking of using the younger set with my 1st grade twin boys - they'd like something like that. I may use the older set with my dd. Haven't quite gotten there yet. My dd likes "fancy looking" pages (you should see what I do in Word for her history notebooking pages) and is more likely to do a good job on them than if I gave her a sheet of lined notebook paper.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MFW-Lucy

Re: Exploring Creation with Astronomy notebooking pages?

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:01 am

MFW has looked at the notebooking pages created to accompany the Young Explorers Series. We found them to be a lot notebooking and that what was already written into the Rome to Reformation Teacher's Manual was a enough for most families.

There are lots of hands-on activities (which the Teacher's Manual will suggest doing as many as you can, but not to feel you must do all of them). Some are more complex than others while others are very simple. For elementary kids this is the best way to learn about science with some notebooking. You will make pages for each planet and the sun, as well as some observation of the phases of the moon.

With that said, you can always add more if your family has the time and the interest, but we like to keep it simple and engaging and too many notebook pages can become overwhelming for many kids and moms. Remember too you are also keeping a history notebook so part of the design in the lesson plans is to help balance the subjects and your time.

Hope this helps you as you prepare to enjoy Astronomy!
Lucy

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:21 am

Here's a link to some more notebooking/lapbooking pages that go with that book. We have enjoyed doing the vocab mini books this year. Dd has done a few of the newsletters, but not for every chapter; it's a lot of writing, and she was having trouble fitting what she wanted to say into the format. I've found she enjoys it more and does a better job with some blank paper and the freedom to write about one or two sections of the chapter that most interested her, rather than trying to write one or two sentences about ALL the sections.

Anyway, link: http://www.hslaunch.com/mypage/profile/745

They are very nice, free pages. You might find something useful.

:)
Melissa
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

ncmom2boys

Unread post by ncmom2boys » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:31 am

Thanks,

I will use MFW recommendations. It is so wonderful that MFW has done all this work for me. I ask a question and they know the answer, I love it!

Once I have my TM and student pages, I will be able to see exactly what we'll be doing. I learned to notebook with MFW, and it gets better and more doable each year. We took a break from MFW (which we should NOT have done) I am returning just as soon as I can...I am so excited!!

Blessings!
ncmom2boys~Kim
Homeschooling mom since 2003 to 2 boys 11 & 12
Adventures
ECC

Poohbee

Student Notebook

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu May 09, 2013 1:59 pm

I purchased the Astronomy notebooks to use during RTR this year. I really like them, but there are so many pages we aren't using...which is okay. Better to not use pages than feel like I have to do them all and stress us all out. I think the notebooks for the elementary might be more valuable if you were doing the book over a whole year rather than one semester.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

asheslawson

Re: Question about General Science Student Notebook

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 am

We are doing astronomy this year. I enjoyed the astronomy notebook too - and I sort-of felt the need to get every page done @ first too - but I have relaxed. Overall - I felt the notebook was a nice plus for our science curriculum.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

Apologia Astronomy Q

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:36 pm

4monkeyz wrote:I'm getting ready to order for next year - we will be in RTR!! :) I was wondering if the Apologia Notebooks and Junior Notebooks are worth the money? Lapbooks haven't been always successful and require a ton of prep work from me, but my kids do need something to keep their hands busy while I am reading and they love projects. I will have an 11 & 9 yo with a tag along 6 & 7, thinking more for the older ones, maybe a coloring book for youngers. Thoughts??
Andrea,
The kids do make an Astronomy notebook in RTR, and the instructions are in the RTR manual. (Trivia: MFW started using Astronomy before it was even an Apologia product, thus long before notebooks were for sale!)

However, this notebook isn't really something the kids color while they are listening. Although you could set it up that way, since they do sections on the sun and different planets, etc. My son did his on the computer, but he didn't get into coloring, he liked to roll around on a giant exercise ball at the time ;)

I'm sure you could add any number of pages to your notebook, if you like.
Julie

4monkeyz

Re: Apologia Astronomy Q

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks Julie! That is good to know. I love how affordable MFW is, everything is what I would buy but pulled together so much more nicely. I also love how I can use this again with my younger girls. This last school year, I almost bought a dover coloring book, but decided to wait until I saw the student sheets, ta-da! Fabulous coloring/notebook pages included. Good rule of thumb: wait to get the TM. :-)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

MelissaB

Re: Apologia Astronomy Q

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Hi, Andrea,

We loved the astronomy notebook that MFW assigned, too. Our girls wrote a paragraph about what learned during each lesson then drew a picture of the planet, etc. and colored it.

We've also used the Apologia notebooks and jr. notebooks in the past, too. They're great; they do take a bit of time. So, if you use them, you may want to decide before the year starts which pages are a priority for your students to do, and which they can skip when there isn't sufficient time.

Enjoy RTR! It's an incredible year! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4