Compare RTR to SOTW

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
bethben

Compare RTR to SOTW

Unread post by bethben » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:00 am

Margaret Schrock wrote:Someone asked me about the difference between MFW and SOTW. I have never seen SOTW and I'm hoping some of you can give me answers. The main question I have is, why do you choose MFW over SOTW?
MFW is more than history. It's the "everything else" too (aside from LA and math). I don't have to search for other curriculums for science, art, music appreciation, geography, Bible study, etc. All I need to get extra apart from MFW is the LA and math. It's a unit study not just a history study. Everything works together to get an overall picture of what you're studying. I don't have to co-ordinate anything. I'm sure someone else will chime in with a better explanation.
Beth

cbollin

Re: MFW vs. Story of the World

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:15 am

Story of the World is just one history book. By the way, MFW uses SOTW vol 2, 3, 4, but doesn't use vol. 1. If you want to read about the reason that MFW doesn't use volume 1, read it in Marie's words. Use this link
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=365

SOTW does not provide a Biblical worldview. It is written to be able to used by a secular audience and a Christian audience to provide history, but not from a Christian worldview.

Also, the book SOTW does not provide any kind of scheduling to use the book. It is just a (well written) narrative history book.

MFW provides a schedule to use SOTW along with other history resources and Bible. MFW provides an extension enrichment reading list for library books. MFW provides simple hands on activities. MFW provides notebooking and activities. MFW uses the SOTW vol 4 activity book, but not the activity book from vol. 2 or 3; instead MFW has other activities to use in place of that activity book.

I use MFW to provide structure and schedule for more than just history. I like having more than just SOTW to read for history. MFW gives me the resources to help provide a Biblical worldview to many subjects.

-crystal

4Truth

Re: MFW vs. Story of the World

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:54 am

cbollin wrote:SOTW does not provide a Biblical worldview. It is written to be able to used by a secular audience and a Christian audience to provide history, but not from a Christian worldview.

I use MFW to provide structure and schedule for more than just history. I like having more than just SOTW to read for history. MFW gives me the resources to help provide a Biblical worldview to many subjects.
Ditto about the biblical worldview. But my oldest dd who's read SOTW 2, 3 and 4 on her own loves the style of writing, so it's nice that MFW uses these volumes as an additional resource. But I couldn't use SOTW alone.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Margaret Schrock

Unread post by Margaret Schrock » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:23 pm

Aha! Thank you, ladies. I'll just direct her over here to read the replies.
Margaret,Mom to dd 10, ds 9, ds 7, dd 5. Wife of a wonderful man.
'09-'10, Rome to Reformation and Kindergarten.
Completed: Kindergarten 3 times, 1st three times, Adventures, ECC, CtoG.
http://tea-lady.xanga.com/

cbollin

Does RTR use some other Biblical resources?

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:09 pm

Christine in TX wrote:So, does RTR use some other Biblical resources to balance out the not necessarily Biblical view of SOTW2? Thanks so much ladies!!
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:18 pm
Streams of Civilization is continued in RTR, as is the Bible, Victor Journey through the Bible. Trial and Triumph is started in RTR for church history. And the read alouds add in a flavor for it too.

I'm leaving something out....

and it isn't that SOTW is anti-Bible or anti-Christian, it just deals with other parts of the history story.

-crystal

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:35 pm

We did RTR and read through much of the New Testament, including some readings in Acts as part of our history lessons (not just Bible). We also used Victor Journey Through the Bible which is a fabulous resource. When we read Augustus Caesar's World (a secular text), Marie, in her teacher's notes to us, tempers some of the info in there with biblical references to clarify God's truth with man's ideas. A lot of the activities in the TM are centered around the teaching of biblical truths such as making Resurrection cookies at Christmastime (seeing the connection between Christmas and Easter), and playing the New Testament game to help with memorization and Bible study. The Book Basket also provides many books and videos which help to show God's hand in history or explain biblical truths, such as the movie Ben-Hur and "How Then Should We Live?" by Francis Schaeffer.

And then of course there's all that church history in RTR... Trial and Triumph (some key people in church history) and learning about how we got the Bible are just two more resources used in that year. We also learn about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., the Crusades, memorizing the Nicene Creed, the role of the church in state government and of course the Reformation itself.... I know I'm missing something, but RTR is a very FULL year of biblical truths and seeing the sovereignty of God in history. I'm so glad we did it!

Julie in MN

Help! A little disillusioned?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:29 pm

dorenekimberly wrote:We have been using MFW since Adventures and are currently half way through Rome through the Reformation. My husband and I are getting a little disillusioned with the history book The Story of the World, especially the way they just presented Mohammed and Islam.

I have really enjoyed MFW and have been able to "tweak" certain parts to fit our family's needs, but since so much of history now is from The Story of the World, I'm concerned. Has anyone out there used Mystery of History with MFW? It doesn't match up year for year, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to combine the two. Has anyone else had any similar concerns?

Thanks so much. Would love to hear from anyone!
Dorene
Hi Dorene,
I still have a MOH volume around here that I tried to use. I got it out again when my ds was doing ancients this year. Again I realized it doesn't work for us. Instead of reading the entire Bible, you are reading someone else's brief summary of major Biblical events. My ds even in 4th grade asked me to just read the "real thing" and skip any MOH chapters I tried to add in lieu of "book basket."

I'm not sure how old your kiddos are, but RTR is usually used when the oldest is at least 5th grade. By then, I personally feel kids "need" to gently be introduced to Islam. I absolutely *loved* the Voice of the Martyrs materials that Marie added to that unit. It was all so clear yet simple for my son. I think SOTW does have some weaknesses, but Marie seems always right there supplementing, from read-alouds to hands-on, to make it more balanced.

MOH does not have the latter years of history finished yet, as far as I know, so it would only be this year you could fill in. And again, we personally have a strong preference for MFW's method of using the real Bible and Trial & Triumph and other materials Marie adds.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: Help! A little disillusioned?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:19 am

Agreeing with Julie. MFW adds the Biblical perspective. Are you also using the Islam fact/prayer cards from the student sheets in order to see all of that and to pray each day for Muslims?

My middle gal and I did those chapters a few weeks ago and weren't bothered with it because of all of the stuff that MFW added with VOM, and with information in Streams of Civ. We found it to be narrative story telling in more of a neutral light and gentle intro to help understand historical context of how Islam developed.

-crystal

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:59 am

Dear Dorene,

If this were the only book that was being used to present history for this time period we would agree that it is not enough to give the Christian perspective. Using Streams of Civilizations gives that Christian perspective (reminder that this book is intended to be read by the parent and then shared with the student by recapping or reading short passages). Julie and Crystal mentioned using the prayer cards to understand their need for Jesus, which is a very important part of how it is being presented overall. SOTW is just telling the story of history, and using these other resources gives the Christian perspective. You also have the opportunity each day as you read these books together to discuss with your children.

I hope you will share with us some specifics of how the presentation is difficult for you so that we may be able to help you address those.

I would like to share a bit of my family's experience. When we did RTR I had never really learned about Islam and found it very important part of history that I had missed. As we look at the world we live into today it is impossible to ignore Islam. Even now 2 of the main things I remember is that their faith never gives them any assurance that they will have done enough good things (5 pillars) to know for sure if they will go to heaven. The other is that love is not a word that they use to describe Alla. Even as I write this I am struck with how hopeless we all are without Jesus. I say all this to say that I felt that my children and I learned the academic beginnings of this religion but at the same time were able to understand how it differs from Christianity and how to pray for them. I felt we were able as a family to learn how to love Muslims and if given the opportunity to share with them about Jesus. That very year God gave us an opportunity to meet and minister to an Muslim family in our neighborhood. I felt it helped to understand a little about their religion and where they came from in order to relate to them, pray for them and share God's love with them. I found this to the heart of MFW throughout the years.

Hope to hear more from you.

Lucy

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:04 pm

I am going to start by saying that I love SOTW. My kids find it understandable, readable and enjoyable which is half the battle. I have found SOTW to be neutral as possible not favoring one side or the other and it allows me as a parent to talk about my slant or who we believe to be right in a struggle. I think this is the role of the parent not history books. Too many of our history book present a slant on either side and I believe that the role of the historian is to be as neutral as possible.

I love that MFW allows me to be the parent and present what we believe as a family without too much commentary on either Bible or history.

We have had many great discussions as a family as to what we believe and why stemming from what we have read and are learning in MFW. I believe that it is a good thing that my kids know about world religions and that they learned it from me. We have learned what they believe and why and then discussed what we believe and why and how we can pray and reach out to those groups. The conflicts that religions (including Christianity) have caused are many and without an understanding of how those religions started and what they believe leave us without a complete historical perspective.

My kids have a Biblical Worldview but they also have an understanding of the worldviews of others and are thus able to defend their faith from a more knowledgeable standpoint and are not frightened or surprised that the world does not think the same way they do. They have learned this from the safety and protection of our home and I am so pleased by that.

Just my two (okay maybe 10) cents worth. ;) MFW has taken it's job of educating our children with a Biblical perspective very seriously and I think it works well. In the end, though, the decision is yours as you are the parents and know what's best for your kids. I love home schooling for that very reason. :)
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:55 pm

dorenekimberly wrote:Okay....my concerns about SOTW.....I guess before I even began the book I had a preconceived notion (3 different people had told me it wasn't written with a Christian worldview).
Just fyi, the author of SOTW is a Christian, has a theology degree and is a pastor's wife. She very much is a Christian and tries to present history from a neutral standpoint. MFW does not have Vol. 1 for the same reasons you have mentioned and through all the other resources teaches a Biblical worldview.

The other thing you need to consider is how modern history is presented. I have found 1850 - Mod times very difficult to present in an understandable manner without too much blood shed while maintaining historical accuracy and SOTW does that well. Make sure you look at that as well when picking another spine.
Last edited by dhudson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:37 pm

dorenekimberly wrote:Wow....thank you so much to all of you who replied! I truly appreciate your input. One question....Voice of the Martyrs was mentioned. The only thing I see about material from them is written in the TM Week 15.
Using the fact cards and the daily praying for Muslims is what I was talking about. You don't just read 2 of those cards a day. You spend time discussing it and praying. That's not small stuff.

Well, like Dawn said, sometimes it's nicer to have a book from a neutral stance so that you can put your own spin on it instead of another Christian's point of view. Just because Linda H (MOH author) is a sweet, petite lady.... she and I may not agree on some things. Still want to know where she gets her hair done. She always looks so great. I should ask her. anyway....
dorenekimberly wrote:Someone asked what about the lesson on Islam I found unappealing. As my husband was reading it aloud to the children, it just bothered us how it talked about Muhammad being approached by Gabriel as being the messenger of the one true God. The kids were asking if this was the same Gabriel, same God in our Bible, etc. So to me it seems like it is presented as just another religion, like Christianity.
so, to help a bit on the specific lesson: My copy of SOTW makes it clear that the story is told "as Muhammad's followers tell it". In other words, I think Susan Wise Bauer was saying "ok, this is what they think... and what they tell their children". very neutral position.

how did your husband respond to your Children? It sounds to me that y'all just were surprised the children had questions and you weren't sure how to answer. I told my daughter "I'm not really sure it was". I honestly didn't think that sentence in that section presented it as just some other religion. It specifically says this is what Muslim tell in their story about why they think Muhammad's words were to be listened to.

then at the end of the section, it asks you to think if the five pillars are difficult to follow and Do they help people to live good lives? (that's the perfect lead in for family discussion about the need for Grace over works without the author having to say that). Then you do the Fact and Prayer cards together. See my interpretation of the same sentence?

One thing I've noticed over the years of using MFW is how much my children have a heart for wanting Muslims to know that Jesus was not just and only a prophet. It's come from directly using MFW as written. We also get these newsletters from God's Word for the Nations. In many people groups in the former soviet union, there are lots of Muslim groups. As these people are permitted to have the ability to worship again (after soviet rule), they want to have books in their heart language. Well, in Muslim culture it is generally ok for them to read a holy book of a "prophet". So, they are allowed to read from the Injil (New Testament - is what we call it). One of the newsletters from God's Word for the Nations was all about a people group who received the Injil in their heart language. One of the Iman's received the book with joy. He was quoting as saying "Now I have something to read from the towers". Our hearts were touched a lot from that newsletter. My kiddos easily knew from years of praying from things in MFW that for Muslims to begin to read the words of Jesus is a huge step for them. Using SOTW did not ruin my children or make them think all religions are equal.
dorenekimberly wrote:I wonder why assigned reading goes from the Fall of Rome, and skips The Early Days of Britain, Christianity Comes to Britain, and goes onto the Byzantine Empire and Islam.
As to the rhyme and reason of the order of history in RTR not 100% following the order of the SOTW text: Marie sometimes re-arranges the book order to make for a better flow of history to finish out a culture before back tracking a tiny bit to those other chapters. She will cover the Britain stuff. But it will be done so that you get a fuller picture to help understand more in the middle ages and get it all at once. I like that approach better than always sticking 100% to a timeline approach.
dorenekimberly wrote:I looked up in the Mystery of History how Mohammed and Islam were represented. The author refers to Allah as their god with a small "g".
as to the upper vs. lower case "g" in god when referring to Allah, it's just an English grammar rule vs. anything else attached with meaning to it.
dorenekimberly wrote:I also read in a homeschooling catalog: "....these books do not go out of their way to show the providence of God throughout history.
oh yeah.... maybe a link to something David Hazell wrote about some of this would be helpful too on the showing providence of God? maybe not.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 901&#p6901

I think past these 2 chapters on the beginnings of Islam, you'll be fine.

SOTW is not written from an anti Christian worldview. MFW doesn't use volume 1. and depending on which edition of MOH you have, there were some interesting "mistakes" in Linda's interpretation of Exodus chapter 1.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:52 pm

dhudson wrote:Just fyi, the author of SOTW is a Christian, has a theology degree and is a pastor's wife. She very much is a Christian and tries to present history from a nuetral standpoint.
Here is where Alison posted info on Susan Wise Bauer's reasons for choosing to write neutrally.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 812#p60801
dhudson wrote:The other thing you need to consider is how modern history is presented. I have found 1850 - Mod times very difficult to present in an understandable manner without too much blood shed while maintaining historical accuracy and SOTW does that well. Make sure you look at that as well when picking another spine.
And in addition to that, MOH does not have anything past the RTR time frame. So I think you would use MOH for about one semester maximum -- from the time *after* the New Testament times, up until the early explorers. MOH doesn't have anything after that.
dorenekimberly wrote:I wonder why assigned reading goes from the Fall of Rome, and skips The Early Days of Britain, Christianity Comes to Britain, and goes onto the Byzantine Empire and Islam.
Yes, each program runs through history a little differently, and organizes it uniquely, since history doesn't stop-and-start but flows in-and-out. MFW tends to group things, such as perhaps grouping European events, and then Asian events, rather than cycling through countries multiple times in a row. MFW will also spend more time on larger empires than on smaller native groups. From what I can tell, MOH races through the Old & New Testaments in less than one book, then spends two and a half books on middle history, and plans to race through all of American & Modern history in one book (which isn't out yet) -- there are some choices being made there, too. I'm sure there are pros and cons to each study of history.

Julie

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 pm

gratitude wrote:Have you ever seen Time Changer? One of the ideas behind the movie is that a small sentence or book can lead to a decline in morals, religion, etc.

I read three chapters of volume 1 last night. Again MFW does not use the book, but the first book told me something about where the author was coming from in terms of Bible times. I did not find the book neutral. What surprised me the most though was I expected to enjoy reading it more than I did. There is so much interesting History from those time periods that I have read, that I was surprised by the fact it didn't engage me more.
SOTW is not intended to be "put in front of the children." That's just not how it is intended in MFW. I have a hard time believing that the 2 sentences in this book, when discussed by the parents, would cause such change (decline in morals) except for leading families to pray. Then watch how God changes the world when we pray. I guess if you put the book in front of a 9 y.o and didn't discuss or read it with them, who knows what could happen. But that's not how it works in MFW.

Also, the books aren't intended to "engage adult readers" in the topics. They are there to read aloud to children to engage their minds in the topics. That doesn't mean you "have" to use them. I'm just saying that is the intent of the books -- to read out loud to engage younger learners where reading just a textbook doesn't do it.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Carin,
I've seen the movie Time Changer. We love movies at our house :) However, I think the point wasn't that a sentence changed the world, but that a concept or an idea can change the thinking of a culture.

But personally, I think it can go the other way, too. I've seen Christian young adults completely vulnerable to the world they live in. Therefore, this was an important issue to me when I found MFW -- to fully "educate" my children, very gradually to be sure, but purposefully, with complete faith that God and His Word would outshine anything else.

My ds has used MFW since 3rd grade. By 5th grade, the Old Testament and the New Testament had been fully used as core history texts for over 1.5 years (not summarized and squeezed into one year as MOH and others tend to do). Prayer was part of every school day. Missionaries were now our heroes. We were fully prepared to begin to hear subsequent history both as the world hears it and as Christian authors present it. Ds was fully grounded in what Christianity was and then learned what Islam was, how they were connected, and how they were different. I specifically remember some conversations during our SOTW years -- he said he'd never want to be a Muslim because it was too much work :) Later when he learned about Zen Buddhism (which became a rage when *I* was a teen), he said in a deadpan voice, "Good luck with that!" And still later, when we read about an event in China when Christians were persecuted, first from a Chinese perspective and then from Trial & Triumph, he expressed amazement at the different perspectives on the same events. These moments stand out in my mind because they welled up from within *him,* rather than his hearing what a textbook author thought and answering leading questions.

Ds has felt nothing but sadness about Muslims who don't know our God of love and our Jesus of forgiveness. Somehow I feel surprised and sad that folks who have used MFW for several years don't have children who fully know this, too. Maybe they do, and you were just caught off-guard for a moment, I don't know. I mean, I'm a tweaker, too, at times. But when I read an implication that MFW is not "careful" what they present to children, well that just leaves me scratching my head.

Julie

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:29 am

My 2 older kids did SOTW by themselves listening to Jim Weiss read it aloud. They enjoyed having a break from Mom's voice, and Mom's voice enjoyed the break! This year, we have 3 listening in, so we are doing it together. I was not even aware that there was any controversy over SOTW. I've been very happy with it this year so far as a neutral source. I like that it is not heavily slanted, more like an enjoyable, un-biased, news report in story form. However, the wisdom and foolishness of the characters of history stands for what it is. I enjoy being able to make my own discoveries from the text and listen to the kids chuckle over the stories. I love watching them understand things from a historical perspective and seeing them analyze and understand how events unfolded.

I was not even aware of these couple of sentences you speak of, and I can tell you my kids have absolutely no confusion about Islam vs. Christianity. There is no tug at their hearts in any way in wondering if there is credibility to the Muslim religion. Of course MFW is so much more than SOTW. There are many other sources in the curriculum laying a spiritual foundation. Also, just the world we live in currently would force any person with a knowledge of current events to develop a position on Islam both from a political and missionary/spiritual standpoint.

This discussion is a little more heated than usual and I certainly hope I am not adding any fuel to the fire. I have been with MFW long enough to trust their choices. They might not pick my favorite thing 100% of the time, but I am sure their choices will not hurt my child.

I think maybe we should switch it up at this point and discuss pros & cons of different math curriculums. :-) :-) :-) Just kidding of course, just my feeble attempt at bringing levity to the discussion. Have a great day ladies (and gentlemen - for you teaching dads.)
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Dear Ladies,

We are thankful for each of you and for the thoughts and opinions you have shared here. It is the goal of this board to help those who are using MFW or those who may be interested in using it. Because the original poster's thoughts and questions have become some what lost in this discussion, this thread has been locked.

In final thoughts, MFW would not use this book alone to teach history. Using a variety of authors gives a complete and full picture of history as well as allowing us to see it from a Christian perspective. Using all of the resources together (Bible, Prayer Cards, Streams of Civilizations, Medieval World, and SOTW) creates a learning environment that allows us to see history through God's eyes. This is the goal of MFW-to give a complete, age appropriate account of history with a Christian perspective that will show His hand in history. (As has been mentioned MFW has chosen for a number of reasons not to include SOTW vol. 1 in Creation to Greeks, since the Bible along with the other resources tell the story of this time period well.)

Dorene your concerns are valid. I hope that you and your husband are able to look at the program as a whole. You may decide to simply use Streams of Civilizations and just share with your children what you feel comfortable with at this time. The Muslim fact cards I think address many of your concerns. These are used to teach what Muslims believe and how this differs from Christianity. The cards give your family the opportunity to not only learn about this major religion, but to put faith in action by praying for them. This is the heart of MFW.

Some of the specifics such as the angel Gabriel may have come from Muhammad’s knowledge of the Bible. The Koran contains many stories taken from the Old Testament. This is the story they tell and what they believe, but it does not make it true, but it is historically true. That is why we like being intimately involved in teaching history to our children.

Muslims believe Allah to be the one true god, so in any of their writings you will always see “God”. This would be similar to why Christians capitalize it. In Hebrew God is Elohim, in Arabic God is Allah. If I go to the middle east to share about God with them I will speak of “God” (the one true Christian God) as Allah. So maybe this helps to bring understanding as to why some sources use “God” while others use “god”. I did notice that Streams of Civilization uses “God” when describing that Muhammad used the Arabic, Allah. This is a source with a Christian perspective.

Each family will have to decide the best way to handle these hard topics we discuss with and teach our children. We pray that MFW will be used as a tool to teach and disciple your children for the kingdom.

For His Kingdom,

Lucy

cbollin

Not reading SOTW in order?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:11 pm

shera wrote:Someone said SOTW is not used in the order that it is written. I am wondering does this disrupt the flow of the story? I have used different lit based curriculum and it seems when you stop reading a book for a week to flesh a topic out or don't read it in order it is hard to see where the author is going.
I have found that the way Marie reorders the chapters in SOTW, that the flow is really better than the strict chronological flow order in the SOTW. I haven’t noticed over the year that is feels broken or forgotten. I’m in RTR (for the 2nd time) this year and it just made so much more sense to finish out one section of the book, then, play a “meanwhile back at the ranch”. I think it works well and never paid attention to the table of contents of the books. Marie’s style with it helps with a great flow to the overall story in my opinion. Mileage might vary, but I like it.
Julie in MN wrote:Crystal already mentioned that Marie groups countries a little more so the flow is good.

I also wanted to add that SOTW is not a "story" that continues from chapter to chapter. There might be a sentence here or there that refers back to a previous chapter, but really each chapter is about a new topic.
That's a very good point. SOTW isn't a novel that is read out of order. So, it's ok to read topics a little out of printed order.

-crystal

cbollin

Story of the World - how it's used

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:44 pm

abrightmom wrote:;) We really like SOTW in our house. I'm curious about how it is scheduled. I was looking over the RTR samples and noticing that SOTW is scheduled topically (?) and not read through from beginning to end. Can someone explain how history flows in the history cycle and whether or not SOTW (or the other sources) feel disjointed? Thanks! ;)
It never felt disjointed to me. MFW was following the flow of history as well. Sometimes when SOTW or a G. Foster book or other text is not read in page number order, it is because MFW ends a portion of the section/story/person/event before starting the next person/event. So the flow is still there - a new person/place/culture is introduced is done in a different sequence than SWB or Foster wrote it. I remember in 1850MOD being in a head tilt moment with chapter 9 (I think that's the right number...it's been almost 5 years). I kept wondering are we coming back to that section. But when it was scheduled, it was read in context and it just made sense.

I think it almost like reading parts of the Bible in a different sequence. You know how it is this time of year - you read in Matthew 1. Pause a bit, go to Luke 1 and 2, then back to Matthew 2. It's like that kind of feeling.

Here's a note in EX1850 that might explain it a bit more....(from my manual from 5 years ago)
"It is a bit difficult to combine the historical flow in SOTW, EAH and GWW since they present some topics in a different sequence. Therefore, some chapters will be read out of order in an attempt to blend the stories together when possible."

It definitely flows together. lots of good ways to tell stories.

-crystal

abrightmom

Re: Story of the World - how it's used

Unread post by abrightmom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks Crystal! I just needed a concise explanation and it makes perfect sense 8).
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8