EFRU - Latin Pronunciation Help

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
HSmommi2mine

EFRU - Latin Pronunciation Help

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Lainie wrote:Does anyone know a site to help with Latin pronunciation?

In the meantime, in RtR Week 1, Day 1-- going over Roman numerals, do you pronounce the 's' in tres? Or is it silent? Also, quattuor... is it kwa-too-or OR is it a keh-too-or? Or something else entirely. LOL

And finally, quinque... is the beginning sound a 'k' or a 's' like in Spanish??
If it is just for this one lesson I wouldn't worry about it. It is not an evolving language at this point and no native speakers are going to come and correct you. Just say it however you would in English. All of the pronunciations used are educated guesses really. Here is one guide though.

Ecclesiastical Guide - http://cfaonline.asu.edu/haefer/classes ... ation.html
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

niki

Re: Latin Pronunciation--Help Please :)

Unread post by niki » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:43 pm

English from the Roots up pages XVII and XVIIa give pronunciation help.
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks Christina and Niki for the replies.

Niki, I'm so funny! This is my second year with this book and it wasn't until you told me that page XVIIa was there that I found it. It was stuck to the next page and I never realized it until today. This was exactly what I was looking for. I am planning on writing my pronunciations on the page of the word.

Thanks for helping me in my "moment." Other than pronunciation issues we did have a good day :)
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:46 am

One thing to note, the updated version of English from the Roots Up that MFW is now selling (as of June 09) has pronunciation guides ON the root pages. Isn't that a great update? Now, to sell my old one & get the new... ;)

MelissaB

How to pronounce Latin urbs, urbis?

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 am

TammyB wrote:Hi, all!
I don't know if the u in urbs and urbis is long (as in moon) or short (as in book), so I can't figure out how to pronounce these two particular Latin words (English From the Roots Up, p. 84). Anyone know?

Thanks so much!
Tammy
It's pronounced "oo - r - bis" in the phrase anno urbis conditae, according to an online dictionary.

Way to be thorough. ;)
TammyB wrote:Do you think it is /oo/ as in moon or /oo/ as in book? I'm leaving towards /oo/ as in moon.

Thanks!
Tammy

[Editor's Note: Both sounds are given in the EFRU pronunciation guide.
/oo/ as in moon is closer, I think.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4