Schedule - Starting MFW in the middle of RTR?

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
Julie in MN

Schedule - Starting MFW in the middle of RTR?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:41 am

New to MFW - have questions
Blessed wrote:Has anyone else switched and started mid-year? My plan is to take a couple of weeks in January to review the beginning weeks of RTR completing any notebooking pages and activities we like. Then we'll pick-up with week 18 (I think that is where the King Alfred and The Battle of Hastings picks-up).
Good morning, and welcome! I just wanted to reply to the part above, about starting a new MFW level mid-year.

While we were doing RTR, my dh got sick & so we didn't finish until halfway into the following year. We have started new levels around the first of February every year since. We have not had any problems using MFW this way at all. I don't think my ds thinks of history in terms of "MFW years" but simply "the next thing that happened." As for science, MFW nicely splits each year for me, so we finish one science topic at the end of one school year & start the second the next fall. Occasionally, science didn't break on the exact week that we're about to stop, so I may rush through the last few weeks of science so we could have a nice clean break, and put off some history, or vice versa. So basically when we're nearing the end of the school year, I take a peak at where would be a good stopping point in all subjects. I don't do this too early, since life never happens according to my early-laid plans :)

Now that my son is in 8th grade, he will start a new program in February but only do half of that program. Then next fall, he'll just start the high school program at the beginning. We'll be on a "normal" schedule, and we should be able to keep on it, since there is a lot that ds can do on his own.

The MFW 1-page grid has been a lifesaver for someone in a situation like mine. I can always see *all* of the tasks at hand, and make good choices when I need to swap something out or I decide to substitute something else when an outside opportunity comes along. I never have the feeling that I'm forgetting something important or didn't realize the effect that something would have on the rest of our schooling. I schooled my older dd using a lot of different programs, including the one you're using, and I never had this clarity about when I could add and when I should stop & move on, or how many areas we were duplicating topics, such as writing skills. It works for me and I hope it brings you much blessing, as well.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: New to MFW - have questions

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:29 pm

I know one cyber poster on this board and a few other places who did start RTR mid year last year and she really liked it.
uhm... I don't know if I can find any of her encouraging posts or not? I think she started around week 13 or 14 because whatever she was doing before that ended their ancient vol. 1 with end of Rome. I remember one post where she said how happy she was that MFW was really so open and go that she received the box on a Tuesday and started on Wednesday (or something like that).

But here is at least one of Keer's posts
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 628#p48628

((hugs)) Blessings to you as well.

-crystal

[editor's note: another user who started RTR in the middle posted here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 330#p69903 ]

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:00 am

Just a welcome to you! We've not started mid-year but I don't see any problem with it. School years are for ... SCHOOLS! You can do it at your pace and start when you say start. Like you, I have an 8 (nearly 9) year old that needs constant help with reading. Things don't "stick" with her until about the 100th exposure.

I try not to spend too much time on the boards (I was wasting time) but I'll come back and see how you are doing.

Kelly
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi, so glad to see you over here! We seem to be on the same path here - maybe we can figure it out together.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

dhudson

Schedule - Starting MFW RtR in the middle?

Unread post by dhudson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:45 am

Blessed wrote:Hi, we'll soon be starting RtR....after Christmas :-) We are coming from another curriculum that was covering the same time period, so we'll actually be picking-up from where we stopped which puts us starting week 20 of RtR in January.

I'm wondering if those of you who are currently doing it or have done it can offer any scheduling advice. Do you start with the 4Rs and then do the history/art/science? How long does MFW take you to do? If you have any words of wisdom I'm taking notes :-)

I do want to say that I am VERY much looking forward to using MFW. Everyone at MFW has been so incredibly helpful, kind and encouraging. Lucy, I cannot thank you enough for all of your help. MFW is truly blessed to have you with them....thank you again :-)
In our family, we always start with Bible and than we do LA and Math. After we are done with LA and Math then we move on to History and Science. This usually takes us to lunch. After lunch we do art and music and are done by 1:30 or so. We read the read alouds in the evening with Dad.

We loved RTR and probably spent extra time in it each day because we made model forts and had mock battles and did a medeval night and a night at a monastery. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie in MN

Re: Schedule - Starting MFW RtR in the middle?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Welcome, Annie! It's always such joy when decisions have been made.

It's been a while since I prepped for RTR, but just like you, my son started a new year (6th grade) at around week 21 in RTR for his science, read-aloud, and art. His year was a great one.

He was still back around some time in week 18 for history, at the Vikings; we made tinfoil boats & such :) Looking back, we could have easily started closer to week 21, and enjoyed the vikings when they are re-visited at the beginning of EX1850. Another note -- any of the RTR music that you missed can also be studied in EX1850, when you cycle back through all the composers during the years that they actually lived.

Here's another thread about prep that you might look through as you wait for replies this weekend:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3692

Enjoy!
Julie

Blessed

Re: Schedule - Starting MFW RtR in the middle?

Unread post by Blessed » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:35 am

Thank you so much. This is very encouraging.

Starting our day with Bible is pretty much the only thing that has stayed consistent throughout our homeschooling journey 8[]

Thank you Julie, for your encouraging word about starting mid-year....I needed to read that :) I take a look at the link you posted.

And now I must get ready for church. Blessings to you and your families :-)

Posted by Blessed » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:21 am
I just wanted to pipe in and say how very, very, very, happy I am with MFW recommendations thus far. After placing my first order, I called MFW and added-in the Art package as well My shipment is on its way....hopefully arriving any day now

Anyway, in the meantime I already had some of their other recommendations such as PLL and ILL and WS. I had been hesitant about using these thinking they wouldn't be enough . Anyway, I spoke with Lucy again via email (she is just INCREDIBLE ), and she reassured me on how to use it and where to start. Soooo.....we began using it and was I wrong ....they are LOVING it and so am I. Yesterday, the kids said to me "Oh mommy, we just love school".

So thank you MFW for bringing balance and joy back into our home. I know I've used alot of the smiling face smilies, but that is what I've been doing since MFW....we've all been doing it.....SMILING and GRINNING from ear to ear

Posted by Blessed » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:47 pm
My MFW RtR order arrived and we are all EXTREMELY EXCITED

The kids have already opened up and listened to in its entirety "The Story of Haydn in Words and Music" :lol:

Anyway, I now need to calm down, settle the butterflies in my stomach, pray, pray, pray and breath We will begin our journey after Christmas break (January 4th, 2010). We have the SOTW Volume 2 audio CDs which we may listen to as a light review following our Christmas break.

I just had to tell someone our order was here. So far the kids are loving all of MFW suggestions.
Annie
Mom to two, dd(10) and ds(8)
New to MFW, RtR Jan 2010
SL Cores C,1 & partial 2 used 2007-2009
Come Sit by Me used 2005-2006
BFIAR & FIAR used 2004

Julie in MN

Re: Starting RtR in January and need advice on de-Sonlighting

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:24 pm

Blessed wrote:I'm also wondering about how to do Bible (I may need to email Lucy again ;) ..... she has been such a help and very patient answering all of my questions LOL :-) I am also reconsidering starting EFTRU mid-year and saving it instead for when we cycle back through CTG and RTR. Any thoughts on this??? I'm also uncertain how to add the art. I'm not sure if you can just pick-up anywhere with it.
For Bible, you just go through the "Bible" box on the grid, as well as the "handwriting" of the Bible verse. Have the books on hand, plus your Bible(s) and possibly a dictionary for discussing any unfamiliar words. Basically, you just follow the listed readings on the grid. This first week, you might look through the beginning of your manual where it describes Bible time, as well as weeks 1-2, where some things may be explained in more detail. But it will be easy -- really!

As far as starting EFRU mid-year, you can wait and see, if you like, depending on your kids' needs in the vocab department.

And as for starting art mid-year, many folks end up doing that & it will be fine. If you want to be super-organized about it, here's a thread (and links to more) with some details:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1231

Have a wonderful rest-of-the-year!
Julie

mfwrocks

Unread post by mfwrocks » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Blessed wrote: The kids were looking at the Streams of Civilization and they asked me to read from it....lo and behold they LOVE this book. Both of them :-)

I have a question about the ADVANCED readings....SOC sometimes says ADV Rdg, sometimes it says Read to All and sometimes it says nothing. What age is ADV for?
In our family for several years of using MFW, we've done it this way:
Advanced assignments are required for grades 5-8. 4th grader - give it a try and adjust as needed. anyone younger than that, is not required to stay and listen for an advanced reading or assignment, but if they want to stay, they can.

cbollin

Re: Starting MFW RtR in January....advice

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:49 am

Blessed wrote:Just a couple of questions about Bible and EFTRU..... Here goes....

BIBLE: as I mentioned earlier we are coming into RtR from another curriculum and due to begin around Week 20 (although I may back track a couple of weeks and use those to get our feet wet and as a quick review following our Christmas Break). Anyway, my question is this --- In reviewing my TM I noticed that the readings from the book of Luke actually begin with WK 14. Can I just pick-up with the readings from WK 20 or should I do the readings from WKS 14 thru? Oh, I do hope that question made sense :~
I'll try a bit. But it's been 4 years since our family did RTR.

I don't want you to be overwhelmed as you start MFW. You could just pick up and go and not worry about it. If you wanted to select some items to catch up......

Bible:
readings from book of Luke begin before week 14 as the whole book of Luke is studied in RTR. Chapter 13 of Luke begins in week 20. I would probably read through the other chapters a bit during non school time. Call it "read aloud time". so, instead of finishing Door in the Wall, you'll read aloud from Luke. Then it shouldn't overwhelm your day.
My guess is that you've probably covered the first three chapters during Christmas time, so it might not be too hard to read and catch up a bit with no other school going on. Do you have to do that? Probably not, but if time permits, you could at review read together before starting full school again.

I probably wouldn't focus on getting the memory work "caught up". I would skip memory work that until week 21 when a new passage is started. No need to go back for those.

I know we'd try to go back and do the prayer sections from weeks 15 and 16 as time permits. You will get more prayer opportunities in other years in MFW. But those are good to do and were part of Bible/history in RTR. That might be a good thing to do as a family to get some of that. It will help with the history review as well.

history fun activities: if your time permits during your review, you can consider playing some of the games from RTR that were scheduled. But only as time permits and only if it is fun. The Model Castle took us a few fun weekends to put together in short time spurts. That was the one project in RTR that was very involved in time and is optional. So, if you didn't get that book, you can skip that. Since that leaves empty space on the grid, you'll have time to ease into the RTR.
EFTRUP: Again, can I just pick this up at WK 20, or should I consider putting this aside for now? Is EFTRUP used in any of the other MFW years such as Ex1850 and MOD?
EFTRU is used in CTG (greek words) and in RTR (Latin words). I would pick up where you are. It will be fine. I encourage you to read in the intro section of the RTR manual and week 1 daily notes for more details how to use the book. If you find that it doesn't fit in your schedule, you can set it aside for now given the ages of your children. The pace with that book in RTR is about 2 words per week. If that is too fast with your children, go at one per week and that will be enough for now and add in later as you adjust to a new program.
O.K. so I actually have a 3rd question ;) This with regards to Science. We are currently using Apologia Astronomy and ahead of the TM only by a little. My question, however, has to do with the Human Body Study that occurred at the beginning of RtR. Dd(10) has been wanting to study this for quite some time now and I'm wondering if once we're done with the Astronomy Study if we could just pick-up the Human Body Study and do it on its own as a separate unit?
That plan should work.

You didn't ask this, but I would set aside Astronomy until the plans match where you are. In other words, set the book down for a bit and that way you'll have time to catch up on other parts of RTR that you want to do for 2-3 weeks. That should allow the time to ease into it all and catch up on some items and move along in a few weeks.

urious....Did anyone answer you about Augustus Caesar World? I think I remember that you asked about that book in one of the threads. There are a few brief sections in ACW that are scheduled in the RTR year at the point where you want to start. I probably would not order the book just for those final sections to read at the point where you are starting. Instead, I’d look to see if a friend had a copy to borrow or if a library has a copy of this book. If you have to skip that part, it will be ok if it doesn’t get done. Most of the rest of the book was scheduled prior to week 20.

No problem with the questions. Change and transition into new places can be both exciting and stressful. My hope is that it is more exciting and fun for you. Blessings,
-crystal

Blessed

Re: Starting MFW RtR in January....advice

Unread post by Blessed » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Thank you for responding. I've read the TM from cover to cover....I can't get over how thorough it is. Moreover, the other evening I was going through a typical history reading week --- checking the grid, locating the book(s)/pages, reading them ---- WoW !! I can't get over how much and how thorough the information being taught is !?

I cannot begin to explain how excited I am and how much peace I'm feeling about this. Even the kids have noticed how much more relaxed I've been. They can hardly wait to start EFTRU......that's all they talked about at dinner when they found out we'd finally be able to do it. The kids have been wanting to do EFTRU for two years now, but I just didn't know how to schedule it in :~

You know, I used to plan EVERYTHING before so I don't know why this seems bigger than it is :~ Thanking all of you who are sooooo generously giving of your time to help me get started. I really am feeling very peaceful about the decision, just a little nervous too ;)

On the advice of someone else here that posted, I will NOT supplement :) I'm putting away my old IG and jumping with both feet into MFW and allowing God to take the lead. May He show me the way which we are to go. I have been diligently praying for direction and balance, and He has placed MFW in front of me not once, not twice, not even three times ;) This time I'm listening....praising Him for His grace and patience with me.

Sorry, now I'm rambling. I'm off now. May God richly bless your families.
Annie
New to MFW, RtR Jan 2010
BFIAR & FIAR used 2004

TriciaMR

Re: Starting RtR in January and need advice on de-Sonlightin

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:39 am

Blessed wrote:On another note how do you the narration? After the history reading?
Annie,

i only have one doing "narration," so I just have her tell me back in her own words what we just read. See what sticks out to her, and then go back and discuss anything she missed that I think was somewhat important. Then, after that, we discuss. If you have more than one, you could read a paragraph or so at a time, and then go around and have each one narrate what you just read. Or, start with the youngest...

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

kerby

Unread post by kerby » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Blessed wrote:We've read about Alfred the Great, but NOT the Battle of Hastings. So I'm debating between back tracking to either week 18 or start at week 19. So that is what I'm pondering now :)
Couldn't you do the week that has the Battle and then skip the week that has Alfred?
In HIS hands,
K

4 Blessings - 2 graduated
K, 1rst, Adv, ECC, CtG, RtR, AHL

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Narration is sort of built into the program too through as notebooking - these would be written narrations (you can write what they dictate ) or illustrations of what was read or learned. I appreciate this being part of the program because I forget to do the oral narrations regularly.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

TammyB

Unread post by TammyB » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi, Annie!
My best advice is to stick with RtR for the remainder of the year and then determine if you have accomplished more than what you were doing in ALL of the various subjects: Bible, history, science, music, art, nature walks, etc. It always takes time to readjust to a new curriculum, and I think you will need a full semester being completely committed to RtR before you can make an honest evaluation.

Don't hesitate to ask as many questions on this board as you need. Hope to see you around here often!

Blessed

Unread post by Blessed » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:07 am

Thanks for responding Tammy :-) You are right.......I DO have to commit to RtR completely inorder to evaluate it properly, and to give both program and ourselves a chance to adjust. That is exactly what I've decided to do. Everyone has given me such wonderful advice.

Thanks again everyone, for being so helpful.
Annie
New to MFW, RtR Jan 2010
BFIAR & FIAR used 2004

Blessed

1st Day Using MFW - SUCCESS

Unread post by Blessed » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi everybody, I just wanted to update you all on how our very 1st day using MFW RtR went.

We came into MFW and RtR from another curriculum, and jumped in at week 14. Well it was a resounding SUCCESS today. Everyone loved it and everything got done :-) Art, history, english,.....everything was accomplished and neither the kids or I felt like we were pushing through to get it to all fit in. It just flowed :-) The kids loved all of it and they especially LOVED how we did Bible today. The conversations we had were incredible.

I cannot tell you what a relief I feel. I went to bed last night second guessing and praying for God to lead our day, and He did. I'm still in awe of how our day went. Thank you everyone for all of your help, your encouraging words and your support.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll check back in once we've completed our full first week with MFW. For now we are LOVING all of it :-)

Postby Blessed » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:56 am
Last night as we were doing bedtime prayers the kids thanked God for a great day of homeschooling, and asked if He would "help them get up even earlier tomorrow so we could do some more" (I couldn't help but smile and be just as grateful :-) ).

May God bless your days, may you see Him in all the little things and the big, may we use this platform which He has given us to raise up a generation who will follow Him and lead others, may He pour out His blessing, favor and protection over each of your households "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)
Annie
New to MFW, RtR Jan 2010
BFIAR & FIAR used 2004

Blessed

starting RtR next week-I have questions

Unread post by Blessed » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:09 pm

ncmom2boys wrote:I am starting RtR next week. I know it is kind of at an odd time, but we are ready to begin. :) I have a few questions.

First, I really want to do God and the History of Art, but I am going to have to wait until more $$ becomes available. Will we be missing something necessary to the program without this?

We have been using SOTW vol. 1 along with SL. We are finishing up SOTW this week. Should we start at the very beginning of RtR, or will there be some overlapping? I felt like this was the perfect time to come back to MFW because where we are in our studies. My concern with skipping anything is that there will be a disconnection from the other parts of MFW in science & Bible.

My boys have enjoyed the mapping in the SOTW activities book. How is the geography in RtR? Is it enough? Any insight and thoughts are appreciated.
Disclaimer: We are new to MFW and RtR ..... that said we too switched over from using SL. Having already covered the fall of Rome we jumped in at week 14. Not sure if that helps you at all.

Hopefully others with more experience will pipe in soon with some advice.
Annie
New to MFW, RtR Jan 2010
BFIAR & FIAR used 2004

cbollin

Re: starting RtR next week-I have questions

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:36 pm

ncmom2boys wrote:I am starting RtR next week. I know it is kind of at an odd time, but we are ready to begin. :) I have a few questions.
welcome along. I'm glad to see that Annie already chimed in to say that she also very recently jumped into RTR -- mid year, and mid way in the program too.

First, I really want to do God and the History of Art, but I am going to have to wait until more $$ becomes available. Will we be missing something necessary to the program without this?
It is an optional part of the program to cover art history and some art. It is good, but not required.
We have been using SOTW vol. 1 along with SL. We are finishing up SOTW this week. Should we start at the very beginning of RtR, or will there be some overlapping? I felt like this was the perfect time to come back to MFW because where we are in our studies. My concern with skipping anything is that there will be a disconnection from the other parts of MFW in science & Bible.
You might be able to start around week 14 and not be too concerned. I think I remember suggesting to Annie and she might chime in to let you know if it was a practical help or not -- if you start week 14, you (as teacher) will probably want to look in week 13 notes on the Bible section before doing week 14. There will be missing parts of the human body study unless you've done that at some point. not sure what to advise on that.

It's been long enough since I"ve done RTR that I don't remember how the mapping and geography was covered. So, hopefully others will better memories will pipe in soon. I know that because I had taught ECC before, that I was able to review as needed. I see in your siggy line you've done ECC too.

-crystal

Blessed

Unread post by Blessed » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Crystal did suggest looking at the Bible notes of week 13 and I'm soooo glad she did. It explains the use of the word "Catholic" in the Nicene Creed............which was NEW INFORMATION to me :-) You can preread it to yourself and then incorporate it to the first day of Week 14 Bible just prior to reading the Nicene Creed that day.

When we decided to switch to MFW I was not going to do the Human Body portion of the science, but was going to continue with our Astronomy (which is scheduled in MFW beginning in week 21). That said, I ended up ordering the all the Human Body Science books anyway :-) I just received at the end of last week. I will take a look at how the units are broken up and take it from there .... I figure I can do the rest following the Astronomy OR the next time I cycle through it with ds :)

As far as geography goes, we had a mapping assignment(s) scheduled in week 14, and again we were at the map yesterday ...... that's all I can tell you about that for now since that's as far as I've gotten ;)

Hope that helps some :-)
Annie
New to MFW, RtR Jan 2010
BFIAR & FIAR used 2004

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:25 am

ncmom2boys wrote:Thank you for your responses. I want to return to MFW for several reasons. Two being that Bible and Science are included and made easy for me to teach. ;)

We have not done much studying about the human body, and I do not have clue how to rearrange the schedule. So, I am at a loss as to what to do. :~ Plus, I don't want to miss the Bible study.

Would it be crazy to just start from the beginning even if we have studied some of those things in history? SIGH big SIGH I want to simplify and have school go smoothly. We could do extra science and more Bible for a while if needed.

My boys are in 5th/6th grades. My schedule would look something like this: RtR, yr 4, yr 5...but because we are starting midway what should I do with my older ds? Honestly, he is immature for his age and if he were in ps I would hold him back a year. My boys are only 13 months apart and we do almost every subject together with the exception of LA. I know that God is in control of all things and I am being led back to MFW...what would you all do?

Thanks so much!
ncmom2boys
Some days are chattier than others...... and you could consider calling the MFW office and getting their input as well. Sometimes it's quicker/easier to develop a plan on the phone. But some of us like to type and chat even when we're clueless LOL

No, It would not be crazy to start from the beginning either. It's a matter of preference for your goals.

Given the goals and hopes you have, one option with that could be to start at the beginning and do the Bible and Science and maybe some of the Latin roots. (and of course lang. arts and math). Music/art optional as you desire.
The pace could be a little bit quicker and history "skipped" over a bit or just reviewed a little bit. That way you're not doing 13 weeks of lessons in 13 weeks time. Then around week 14 or so, you're ready to do RTR as written with all of it. But I'd just review history and not worry about doing all of that Rome stuff again if you just did it. Add in some fun projects along the way from the manual -- such as a Roman feast from week 13 when you get there. Do the Roman Arch in the science lessons. That sort of thing. and the timeline pieces couldn't hurt for fun if you haven't done one. But I'd pick up the pace with the first 13 weeks to just do Bible and Science. I'd plan to not spend a full 13 weeks (since you've covered the history just this past semester). Then in week 14 -- follow the full schedule.

stepping aside and hopefully others will chime in with other ideas to help you a bit. Or say "I tried that, but in reality.... .I wish...." or something like that.

-crystal

Blessed

Unread post by Blessed » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:32 am

Good morning :-) I too LOVE how MFW has Bible and Science (well everything really ;) ) scheduled, and like you I debated beginning at the beginning again because I did NOT want to miss the Bible. After speaking with Lucy at MFW and others here, I was reassured of my start mid-year. Although I did not get the Bible at the beginning, Week 14 does start fresh with a completely NEW Bible portion with the readings being from Luke. No, we did not get the memory work from the beginning but I know we will when we cycle through it again. I may decide to just go back and do that Bible section of MFW over the summer (hmmm I just thought of that :-) ). Although it was difficult for me to do (I don't like to miss anything ;) ) the kids and I are both benefiting greatly and we are all LOVING it :-)

O.k. as for grades (I hate grades :~ ) here's what I'm doing and why.....maybe it will help you with your decision. Here goes..........Dh and I have two children (1 boy & 1 girl) born in February and January. They are currently 10yo and 8yo very soon to turn 11yo and 9yo. Where we live K begins at age 5 with the cut-off being Dec. 31 ..... so the child would need to be 5yo by Dec of the year they begin school to begin K. Our children therefore would have had to wait until the following year to begin making them 5.5yo. That said I don't think kids need to begin formal schooling that young, so dh and I purposely decided not to begin formal schooling until they were older, so the kids were 6yo when we began what people would consider K and 7yo when they were in 1st, etc. Even though dd is a veracious reader and could be in the higher, we also did not want them entering College/University at the age of 17/18yo.....dh and I found that still young (especially when you consider the possibility of them attending College/University away from home).

Sheesh, this is getting long. I am sorry ................... all that to say that although our kids will be on the older side, for our homeschool we have decided that our kids at 10yo & 8yo are in 4th & 2nd, at the beginning our 2010 school year they will be 11yo & 9yo and we will consider that their 5th and 3rd. So that by the time dd is 13yo that will be her 7th grade year. If things change (and we all know they can) dh and I feel that it is always easier to move them up then down again. For the record, all of their activities outside the home (ie. church, sports, etc. ) are at the public school level...so 1 year up because their friends were in those groups. Make sense :)

Sorry that got long. I hope it helped some. The Lord will lead you, and you will know what is right for you and your kids because the peace you will have will surpass all understanding :-)
Annie
New to MFW, RtR Jan 2010
BFIAR & FIAR used 2004

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 am

cbollin wrote:one option with that could be to start at the beginning and do the Bible and Science and maybe some of the Latin roots. (and of course lang. arts and math). Music/art optional as you desire.
The pace could be a little bit quicker and history "skipped" over a bit or just reviewed a little bit. That way you're not doing 13 weeks of lessons in 13 weeks time. Then around week 14 or so, you're ready to do RTR as written with all of it.
I like that idea. Bible indeed is "history" at that point, since it's teaching you where the Bible came from and such. You could just start in week 1 and school on the "science days" of the week only, using all the Bible from surrounding days for your Bible & History, do the one day of science, and anything else that looks interesting on that week's grid. Then move on to week 2.

You could possibly continue this way until you get to week 21, isn't it, where Astronomy begins (?), depending on how much you've already covered. And conversely, you could pick up the full schedule earlier if it looks like good stuff. I don't think the RTR time period is fully covered in high school due to time constraints, so I'd get as much out of it as you can now. It's a very exciting time period.

Enjoy,
Julie

Blessed

Unread post by Blessed » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:14 pm

cbollin wrote:one option with that could be to start at the beginning and do the Bible and Science and maybe some of the Latin roots. (and of course lang. arts and math). Music/art optional as you desire.
Oooooooooooo.....I like this option too. But we've already started so I'm not going to cry over spilled milk now ;)

For what it's worth, we are LOVING, LOVING, LOVING MFW RtR :-)
Annie
New to MFW, RtR Jan 2010
BFIAR & FIAR used 2004

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 pm

ncmom2boys wrote:We have not done much studying about the human body, and I do not have clue how to rearrange the schedule. So, I am at a loss as to what to do. :~ Plus, I don't want to miss the Bible study.
I would start at the beginning for these reasons alone. If we were just talking about the history part of it, I don't think you'd miss all that much. But MFW does such a wonderful job of tying Ancient Rome in with the Bible, looking at the history of the Bible itself, the beginnings of the church, studying through Acts... And then of course the human body study which is *really* nice. :) If you run across some history notes in RTR that you've already learned in your other studies, just skip 'em or do a quick oral review. But I'd follow the schedule for the Bible and science, at least. ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.