EFTRU - Ideas for fun review?

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
joy2BAMom

EFTRU - Ideas for fun review?

Unread post by joy2BAMom » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:24 pm

TNLisa wrote:Here we are in week 30 of RtR and there are a ton of Latin roots to review and test! We've been doing a lot of it orally - but am wondering if anyone has incorporated some type of game or worksheet/puzzle at this point? Are there any resources online for free? Last year we made up a few 'concentration' style games with the Greek roots ---
Thanks for any ideas!
Is the weather there good? My son would love to play a baseball type game with this. Set up a diamond and send them around the bases. Each base advance is earned with a correct definition. Then of course they get to slide into home!

Or what about something with a game board. They sell blank ones at our convention that you can adapt. Have stacks of your definition cards in a few different colors. When they land on that space they draw that color card. The reward or punishment could be moving forward or backward. Those blank game boards even have blank spinners and dice. So the possibilities are endless.

If I think of anything else I will come back! Blessings to you as you finish up your year!
Sherrie- wife to Jay for 10 years
Mom to 10 yo boy, 7 yo girl, 3 yo girl, and new baby on the way (due April Fool's Day 2011)

Julie in MN

Re: need fresh ideas for EFTRU

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:38 pm

Lisa,
Do you still have your CTG manual? My son loved the little games for EFRU that were in CTG (somewhere after you had several words under your belt). I remember one was making a continuing story, and another I think was like playing Memory?
Julie
P.S. I forgot I had posted a crossword puzzle maker that I used:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 205#p37205
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TNLisa

Unread post by TNLisa » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:40 am

Julie, the ideas in CtG are what we've been using til now. She loves playing Memory...there are just "so many" cards now :) I think we may do some mini games of it and divide up the cards. Thanks!
Lisa
Homeschooling since 2005!

Jennifer in Indiana

Unread post by Jennifer in Indiana » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:11 pm

We've been using the games in CtG too and the kids enjoy them. We also purchased Rummy Roots at convention and have played it once. My son was thrilled that he knew half of the stack we used (we're almost finished with CtG). They also have More Rummy Roots and both contain Greek and Latin roots. There are about 4 progressively harder games in the instructions.
Jennifer
ds (1999), dd (2002), dd (2006)
used MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Have you heard of the Charlotte Mason Scripture Memory Box?

Now that we're on Week 23 of RtR, I've been wondering about doing the same thing with our Greek/Latin Roots. I'll try to paste the link (not even sure if that's allowed though, forgive me if it's not).

http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/

...just an idea.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1