EFRU - Starting in RTR?

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
Mommyto3boys

EFRU - Starting in RTR?

Unread post by Mommyto3boys » Tue May 18, 2010 3:05 pm

LynnH wrote:We are currently studying ECC and in the fall plan to start RTR. My question is, since we will not be doing Creation to Greeks and it includes the study of Greek vocabulary roots in English from the Roots Up, should I just skip it and study the section on Latin roots as suggested for RTR and later study the Latin root section?
I would just use the Latin Root section that is planed in RTR. You can do the Greek section another year.

HTH,

Debbie in NC
Mom to 3 ds (11, 8, and 5) and 1 dd (3)
Done MFW Adventures, ECC and K, and CTG
On RTR and K

JenD

Re: English from the Roots Up

Unread post by JenD » Wed May 19, 2010 7:59 am

We began with RTR & didn't have the English from the Roots Up book until this year-Exp1850 but we still covered the Latin roots this year & plan to study the Greek roots once we reach CTG when beginning the cycle again with youngest DS. We began HS with Veritas Press so he studied Latin with that curriculum.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed May 19, 2010 8:43 pm

LynnH wrote:Thanks for the replies. I am not familiar with this book and wasn't sure how it would work starting with Latin.
Blessings,
Lynn
Lynn,
If you're not familiar with the book, then it might be helpful for you to know that the Greek and Latin roots are intermixed in the book, so it's not like you'll be starting with "part two" of the book.

I agree that starting in RTR will be fine and I'd just use the Latin roots that are already scheduled. If you decide to do the Greek roots, it shouldn't take a lot of time to add them into a future year.

One thing you might want to know is that in CTG, there is only one word scheduled per week, plus a day spent looking up some of the words in the dictionary. I'm not sure if you'll find you have any need to adjust the Latin roots to one word, or to include some dictionary time, but just thought I'd throw those ideas out there in case they come in handy next year.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu May 20, 2010 8:09 am

LynnH wrote:Does the TM include the lesson you are to do in the weekly schedule?
Lynn
yes. look at page 9 and page 13 of this sample for a bit more on that :)
http://mfwbooks.com/pdf/rtrsample.pdf

LynnH

Unread post by LynnH » Thu May 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks Crystal, I should have caught that - I have looked at the samples for RTR before but did not remember EFTRU in the schedule. I should really print it and look it over - I seem to do better looking at things when I have them in my hands!
Blessings,
Lynn
Lynn H. in Louisiana
DD12 - used MFW K, 1st, Adv, ECC, Exp-1850
DS5 - MFW K

cbollin

?'s English from the Roots Up

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:07 am

ncmom2boys wrote:If I am using a Latin program already, should I do English from the Roots Up as well?
If you are doing a Latin program already, you don't "have" to do the Roots Up, but it can't hurt either. It will not be a huge time commitment in that book and can only enrich to see specific new or review vocab.

-crystal