Science - Apologia Anatomy vs. RtR

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
cbollin

Science - Apologia Anatomy vs. RtR

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:38 pm

s_duguid wrote:Is MFW considering redoing the anatomy section for RtR to include the brand new Apologia Anatomy textbook? I know that what currently is in place is great. It was just that since MFW is considering it and they seem to lean towards the other course textbooks in Apologia, I would consider it. I just really love the concepts of Christian perspective and Charlotte Mason approach used in these textbooks.
I know I've been listening to some early chatter about the book (on another forum). So far, the early chatter seems to indicate that the anatomy book might be written for older elementary and even includes extensions for middle school. ? one person said that the author of the anatomy book told her that it could be used as part of a semester high school health! huh?

fewer pictures
more text

should be interesting to see how the "harder" science text reading combined with "harder" reading in RTR with ACW book goes for families.

One thing -- there are parts in the first semester science of RTR that are not anatomy. So, no matter if you use your own schedule (go through the book) or try to make it line up with RTR, there are some times that you are studying other science as it relates to some history stuff.

Typically, when MFW has used one of these Fulbright books, MFW schedules them in one semester instead of taking the whole year to do 14 chapters. so that can be done. But doing 2 fulbright books in one year? (anatomy and then astronomy?) wow...... wow..... wow. and for those with oldest who start in 4th with ECC, then ctg in 5th and then rtr in 6th, well... and then in 7th grade, the General science book has second semester as all anatomy. hmm....

not much of an answer, as this book is really new on the market. MFW does evaluate new resources and takes a look at lots of factors. I know I'll continue to pray for Marie to have wisdom.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Apologia Anatomy RtR

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:49 pm

I heard David say in May that they were only "looking" at it, as they look at any new materials, especially Christian materials. No decision had been made at that point, although of course things could have changed since then.

My concern is that the anatomy book is 336 pages, and Apologia's journal is like 200 pages, so it seems like it could be a big undertaking to get through in a semester, especially for a typical family with an oldest child in 5th. Although I know Marie has a way of seeing to the heart of something and using it in the best way.

Good Christian science books lately are truly an answer to prayer, though.
s_duguid wrote:they seem to lean towards the other course textbooks in Apologia,
Ancient trivia:
MFW started using Jeannie Fulbright's Astronomy before it became an Apologia product and it was still spiral bound :)

I think that just helps me realize that Marie is very thorough in researching the best materials.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:38 pm

I just browsed through the first two chapters of what is in RTR for anatomy, and I think it is just the right level for a 5th/6th - at least it looks perfect for my dd. I'm waiting to see if my little guys are going to want to do the Body Book (where we make the skeleton thing) - not sure if they could do all that cutting, and I don't want to do a lot of cutting for them.

Pre-reading this week (to see the content, etc), and I can't imagine adding something that would be more in-depth.

-Trish
Julie in MN wrote:Grandma did a lot of the cutting for us -- I know, I'm very fortunate :)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:17 pm

Dear MFW Family,

In response to the post in this and a previous thread I have spoken with David and Marie to clarify their thoughts on the newest book by Apologia, Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology.

MFW is aware of the new book and will review it for future consideration. If it is found to be a better choice, then MFW will consider adopting it into RTR, but there is no guarantee when or if this change will occur.

All companies face an ever-changing market, therefore it sometimes becomes necessary to make curriculum changes. However we only make these changes when truly necessary; and if resources change in future years, you can always be assured that any program will continue to work well, because the Teacher's Manual purchased will match the resources provided that year.

On A Personal Note:(mom to mom)
I used RTR with my children 6 years ago. I used the current science plan to teach science. I loved the approach for teaching the human body. It was very multi-age friendly and had a great balance between information and science projects. Although I did not have a 2nd or 3rd grader I could really see how this would work well with that age. I like the Apologia books, but I also found that we enjoyed the variety in books that were offered in RTR to teach and layer the information for the human body.

Since teaching RTR, I have learned two valuable things. In Apologia General Science (7th grade) the 2nd semester is dedicated to studying the body. In high school, students can review body systems in Health(high school elective). In retrospect, I am glad we used the resources in RTR to teach about the human body along with the wonderful library books and hands-on projects and experiments.

May the Lord lead you as you learn together about how " fearfully and wonderfully" we are made.

Blessings,
Lucy

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:45 pm

I love Jeannie's books. I will probably use it when I get to RTR again even if MFW doesn't make the switch. Sometimes a little change doing it the 2nd time around makes it more interesting for mom.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

rjsmomma

Apologia Human Body w/RTR

Unread post by rjsmomma » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 pm

fdjoyce wrote:Has anyone used the Apologia Elementary Human Body text with RtR? Our family used Apologia Elementary Science in the past & loved it & I was very excited about this fairly new text. Just wondering if anyone had used it too?
We are using it this year (RTR) with my 6th grade dd. She really likes it and we are doing the notebooking with it as well. That being said, this is a full year class, and unless you are reading it really fast I don't think it can be done and understood in one semester. For my dd, who really loves science and wants to go into some kind of biology (probably to do with animals or environmental), it has worked really well.

We will probably spend a little time this summer going over the basics of astronomy since we won't get to it this year, but really only because she is interested in that too. Science it the ONLY subject that I can get away with doing over the summer with her!! :-)
Shannon Meyer
DD - 13 years old - 7th grade
Used MFW for K, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and now 7th:)

Carina

Re: Apologia Human Body w/RTR

Unread post by Carina » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:35 pm

I am actually using this as my science text this year with my 5th and 3rd grader and we love it! (My 3rd grader is using the junior notebook which makes the notebooking activities a bit more doable for him.) There are 14 lessons which we have spread out over the school year, so we only do science 2-4 times a week.

We are doing CTG this year and I started with the science included with our MFW package. However, my boys felt the science was "too easy" and the experiments were ones they had already done when they were enrolled in public school, so I ended up ordering Human Anatomy and they both say they "really" like it. They are math/science guys, so this may have a lot to do with their enjoyment of the book. (My eldest daughter would have been happy with the included CTG science texts when she was in elementary because she is NOT a science person.)

Side note: since we studied anatomy this year, we when do RTR next year, we are just going to use the Apologia Astronomy as our science text for the full year.
Carina
Wife to David
Mom to Brigit (12th grade), Ian (10th grade), Grant (8th grade) and Colette (2nd grade)

2010-2011: CTG
2011-2012: RTR

2012-2013: AHL & EX1850
2013-2014: WHL & 1850-MOD
2014-2015: AHL & US1
2015-2016: WHL & US2

s_duguid

Re: Apologia Human Body w/RTR

Unread post by s_duguid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:55 am

We used it this year, also . . . and loved it!

I purchased the textbook, notebook journal and then an experiment kit from Home Science Tools (little less expensive than some of the other kits because less in it and mostly the hard to find stuff.) The textbook is very comprehensive like the others alluded to, but, for us, this is exactly what we needed. So I would concur that although it is written at the 4th grade level it is harder than the astronomy textbook, which we are currently doing. (In fact the astronomy text is a huge step down after doing anatomy.)

My daughter ended up reading the text to herself and then we would talk about it using the review questions. We did all the minibooks in the notebooking journal, and most of the experiments and projects. The topics truly fascinated her. So all in all, this was the perfect fit for our family.
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

cbollin

Why? Apologia Science Question

Unread post by cbollin » Thu May 05, 2011 7:30 am

Mexmarr wrote:I'm curious. I am looking at the Apologia Anatomy book and think that it looks GREAT! However, every time I bring it up (Not only here, but others, as well) the general response is that it would be way too advanced, and I should hold off a few years.

Why? The book is targeted for K-6. not 4-6, it specifies KINDERGARTEN. I'm talking about using it when my dd is 8, and almost ready for 3rd grade. Not only that, the book now has a JR notebook, for very beginning writers. That would seem to indicate that they are expecting the K-2 age to be using the book.

So, why does everybody say it will be too advance? What am I missing? Are these opinions from people assuming that it will be, or are they people who have actually done it, and felt that to be the case.

I would really like honest opinions here. I am seriously considering using it during my previously mentioned 5 month gap - between ADV and ECC. And I don't want to make a mistake. My girls will just be turning 7 and 8 when we start.
If I could find the links to back this up...
It's because it is assumed that any of the younger crowd using this book is a younger sibling in the family and not the oldest in the family using this book. Somewhere on either apologia's site or Jeannie Fulbright's site is a recommendation to not start with this book when oldest is in the younger age range. It's along the lines of why wouldn't you use MFW 1850MOD when oldest in the family is in 2nd grade. I remember last year somewhere on Fulbright's recommendations, she was saying it was more appropriate for upper elementary and maybe even for high school health credit.

There is more content in the anatomy book. just looking at the sample of the chapter online, that's more info than it covered in the other Fulbright books. It's certainly more than a 2nd or 3rd grader needs.

You can certainly use it if you want to. Just adjust your expectations of what your child should cover from the book and don't get over bogged down with the extensive vocabulary. enjoy the experiments. realize that when you do RTR, many of those sample experiments and demos will be done again. But adjust as you need. Don't worry when 3rd grader cant' remember all of the bones. enjoy the sections that are designed for the younger crowd.

so if you use it in your 5 month "gap" time, then adjust it down for their level and assume they are the younger siblings tagging along. Don't try to get the whole book done in 5 months either. Does that help to see the other part of it?

-crystal

s_duguid

Re: Why? Apologia Science Question

Unread post by s_duguid » Thu May 05, 2011 7:44 am

We used this book this fall, in replacement of the recommended anatomy. It was our first exposure to Apologia and now we are in Apologia Astronomy. Some of my observations:
  • --Although it is written at a 4th grade level, it is much more in depth than the Astronomy readings.
    --Astronomy reading has easier smaller chunks of reading. Usually a chapter can be read in two days, whereas Anatomy takes at least 4 days.
    --I eventually had to let my 5th grade daughter read it on her own, otherwise my reading aloud was too slow to cover the material in an efficient amount of time (we finished the book in 20 weeks.)
Now with all this being said, my dd LOVED anatomy, and she has been slightly disappointed with astronomy; looking at next year's botany book, it is set up more like astronomy with easier reading passages. We considered moving her into General Science, but felt she really wasn't ready for this level either.

Apologia Anatomy is an excellent textbook, but I can see where it is aimed at an older audience. It is certainly a step up in content and comprehension from the other elementary books. Like Crystal said, you would have to adjust your expectations and there is an extensive vocabulary.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 am

Mexmarr wrote: Are these opinions from people assuming that it will be, or are they people who have actually done it, and felt that to be the case.
that is an excellent question to ask. that way you know how to filter.

I'm so glad Sue chimed in while I was typing... I know she has used it.

I was just searching on another forum that I'm part of. The opinions are from those who are using it with 5th and 6th graders. The opinions are from those using it both at home and in co-op situations. Younger sibs are learning in it, but the text is a lot for them. And that forum is well known for enjoying heavy academics and well trained minds.... these forums all have different cultures to them and given the people saying what they are saying... it would be a lot for younger children in the program who are oldest.

I keep reading the online sample chapter and think: wow... I didn't need to learn all of that to pass the anatomy portion of my exam to be certified as a group exercise instructor. I needed to learn some of it, but wow.... that's a lot in that book. So, that opinion is from someone who read the sample only and not used the whole book. I could definitely use it with my younger children at that age (in modified ways of course) but if I had tried it with my first born... wow... yikes. So, if you go with it, don't plan to finish the whole book in 5 months. enjoy the experiments and pictures and grabbing a few new vocab words, don't worry if they don't retain 100% of it. (I still look up some of this stuff)... Scale back the paragraphs a bit. Do the demos -- they'll remember those. Save the book and use it as a reference in later years in elementary.

"backing out" now and going back to reading a book about how to properly do some ab routines on the ball so the transverse abdominus muscles are worked properly. :) pathetic, I know.. but I couldn't finish the routine on Tuesday. LOL LOL I did the standing version of the routine and it hurts my back. go figure..... maybe I should buy the anatomy book for me. I wonder if it can count toward my continuing education credits.

-crystal

Mexmarr

Unread post by Mexmarr » Thu May 05, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks so much! All your thoughts were very helpful, and I hope that more people chime in!

I am NOT one who feel like my oldest has to "do it all." I don't hesitate to lower things to her ability. My kids love love love the read-aloud time, and I honestly think that they would thoroughly enjoy the content. I did look a the sample online.

I think that I could do it without expecting them to memorize parts and stuff, just nice reviews. I would expect the oldest to do the JR notebook. SHe would retain things better that way, and we won't have much writing with other stuff, during that time. But I am fine with open book and helping her confirm the answer before she writes it. I don't feel stressed that they get it all, as they will get anatomy again in a few years down the cycle.

I also wanted to get the Lab Kit that CBD sells, so that we will have everything for the experiments and actually DO them. I think that they will LOVE that.

Also, I think that it won't feel like quite so much, since I would be doing it in pace of a full curriculum, rather than in addition to one.
cbollin wrote:you're smarter than I was back then. I would have had poor oldest doing it all. LOL LOL. I had to learn along the way.
Lol, I was homeschooled myself. I learned a lot before I even started. I have much younger siblings, as well. (littlest sis is 2, lol. ) and I helped homeschool them before I got married. That was all in my favor!
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu May 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Mistry,
Our children are about the same ages! Mine are 7,6,4, & 2.

Apologia Anatomy: &) &) Embarrassingly I did buy this a month or two ago for the same reasons you are thinking of buying it. My best advice would be to say to wait.

My oldest son, who is quite advanced in being read to & comprehension & reading looked at it some. It didn't seem the right time for a 7,6, & 4. I don't think they would remember much of it long term. It is about the same level as the anatomy book that I loved in school when I was in 5th grade and age 11. I can see this book being great for a 5th grader. I hope to use it at some point, but I am taking a new road in home schooling called slow is best, better, and best.

I emailed Jeannie before purchasing it. Her advice for curriculum order was: Astronomy, Botany, Zoology 1, Zoology 2, Zoology 3, and Anatomy last. Why she did the Junior notebook first for anatomy is something that I have wondered. I also asked some moms on another forum who have used all of the books and they suggested the same order. The problem of course for us MFW users is that Astronomy and Botany are used later, so if you have a gap period of time it would put us at Zoology with young children.

My other understanding is the reason it says K - 6th is the same reason the MFW cycle says 2nd - 8th. No one would encourage us to buy any level of the cycle for our soon to be 2nd graders, but they would encourage a 2nd grade tag along for any part of the cycle. The one we teach to needs to be ready for the material, the others will gain information from it; but not nearly as much as they will when they are older learning it at the ages it is really written for. Does this make sense?

My solution, for my gap for science, is to have my oldest re-do science with my K starting MFW 1 this spring. I think he will enjoy it, and he is ready for less pressure.

I don't know if this helps or not. There are many great ideas on your other thread for a gap year. I wouldn't suggest Anatomy though as one of them for this age group.

s_duguid

Adding Apologia Anatomy to RTR? Thoughts?

Unread post by s_duguid » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:32 pm

wsterk wrote:We will beginning RTR in the fall and I am wondering about the science portion. The science in CTG was not my favorite. We did it...kids love science, but not my favorite. Will MFW suggested books be enough for RTR or should I/can I use Apologia Anatomy as a substitute or an additional resource? Seems pretty "meaty" which is what I would like. Any thoughts? This is only my 2nd year of homeschooling. LOVE it--but I feel like there is always so much to learn and consider. Thanks.
I was very excited two years ago to give Apologia Anatomy a try as it was just published and our first exposure to Apologia science. Plus I only have one dd who was 11 yrs. old. What a fantastic textbook and yes, very meaty!

A couple of cautions: 1) The first thing I would consider are the ages of your child(ren). It is intended for UPPER elementary and now having completed Apologia Astronomy and Botany, it is much, much more info. Not sure about folding in the youngers. 2) If you are going to stay on pace to finish it in a semester, it is ALOT of reading. I finally had to have my 11 year old read it to herself, because my reading out loud to her was taking WAY too long.

If you do decide to go with it, I would almost suggest to also purchase the notebooking journal, just for the simple fact of making your "ME" model, also called Personal Person, with the see-through layers of the various systems. The journal can be quite time-consuming, too, so it would depend on your kids and your schedule and of course your budget (especially if it's okay with you if you can't finish everything.)

Otherwise, if it were me with younger children, the current recommendations would be a better fit of time and better combination of including all ages.

Another nice add-on for either study is to use the book basket recommendation The Healthy Body Cookbook. Before I knew it was in the RTR teacher's manual, I had used it in a co-op class the year before. Great reinforcement and recipes to make for specific parts of body and body systems.
wsterk wrote:Is the model you referred to the same what RTR has us do throughout the 1st semester? It also has the layers, body parts, etc..
Slightly different. The journal was head to toe for all the different additions.
wsterk wrote:Thanks! My 2 kiddos starting RTR in fall will be in 5th and 6th grade and I think they could handle it.

MelissaB

Re: Adding Apologia Anatomy to RTR? Thoughts?

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Count us in! We're adding the Apologia Anatomy course to RTR this year, too. We already have the RTR package, and all of the science books look really good. So we're going to use Fridays to work the Apologia anatomy.

When we added Apologia's Botany to our CTG curriculum this year, we learned a valuable lesson: no notebooking. :~ Trying to complete the Apologia notebook pages along with the full CTG curriculum courses proved to be too much. So we're adjusting things this year. I think we're going to skip the notebooking and just enjoy reading the Apologia Anatomy and doing the experiments.

On a sidenote - we purchased a large roll of white paper at Mardel this weekend. I think we're going to trace a life-size outline of our dd's bodies onto the paper and attach the organs we study in The Body Book to the outline . . . Any thoughts from other Moms?

Melissa B.
wsterk wrote:Melissa- check this out....i found and was interetsed in doing the same with my littles (ages 3 and 4). Thought my older 2 could work with littles on their body.
http://pinkandgreenmama.blogspot.com/20 ... -life.html
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

momma2boys

Unread post by momma2boys » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 pm

I have a 7th grader and 5th grader and we're doing RTR starting in the fall. My oldest isn't ready for the Apologia General Science course yet, so we're putting that off for one year and plan to do the Apologia Anatomy instead (in place of the other human body books). I think it will be a good fit for us... We shall see! ;)
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:12 pm

I almost asked this same question about a week ago but did some research in the archives first and already made my decision. Here is a link to what I found:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9420

There are other references in a few other places as well.

I just thought I'd share what I found.

(I decided to go with the MFW scheduled science because I decided it would be best for our family's situation but that doesn't mean everyone has to. :) )
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:40 pm

My dd did Apologia Anatomy this past year for 4th grade in a co-op setting in addition to doing CTG as written at home. She had a lot of homework (reading and notebooking) and did science experiments and projects in class once per week. Honestly, I believe the Anatomy is a full 1-year program and you would have difficulty cramming it into a semester. If you want to get the most out of it and truly use the notebooking to its full potential, you need to take a year to go through it. If you decide to use it for RTR, you may end up giving up the Astronomy portion. And now that I've looked through the Astronomy book for next year, I can say that Anatomy is written at a much higher level - or maybe the vocabulary makes it seems that way to me. It's not an "easy read."
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:35 pm

I will be doing RTR this year with my 5th grader and 7th grader, but only the 5th grader will be doing RTR science. I am planning to do Apologia Anatomy instead of RTR science this time around.

This is my second time through the cycle and I need something different each year! We will do Astronomy first and then take a full year to do Anatomy so we will do it the first semester of Ex1850, his 6th grade year. After that I will probably do the new Apologia Chemistry/Physics book as my ds is more interested in that than in Zoology. Then he will be ready to start General Science in 7th.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:48 pm

My dd did Apologia Anatomy this past year for 4th grade in a co-op setting in addition to doing CTG as written at home. She had a lot of homework (reading and notebooking) and did science experiments and projects in class once per week. Honestly, I believe the Anatomy is a full 1-year program and you would have difficulty cramming it into a semester. If you want to get the most out of it and truly use the notebooking to its full potential, you need to take a year to go through it. If you decide to use it for RTR, you may end up giving up the Astronomy portion. And now that I've looked through the Astronomy book for next year, I can say that Anatomy is written at a much higher level - or maybe the vocabulary makes it seems that way to me. It's not an "easy read."
wsterk wrote:Thanks! My 2 kiddos starting RTR in fall will be in 5th and 6th grade and I think they could handle it.
I just wanted to note that if your 6th grader will be doing Apologia General Science for 7th grade the following year, that includes a semester of anatomy. Perhaps having "fun" with the Body Book, etc., for 6th grade might be a nice lead-in to doing more in-depth anatomy the next year? Just a thought.

eta: I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to tell you what to do -- I'm in more of a quandry than you are. My dd just did Apology Anatomy last year and is getting ready to start RTR. I have the books, but I've been advised to sub out the science. I'm still trying to decide . . . I need to go through MFW's books some more.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

wsterk

Unread post by wsterk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Cyndi (AZ) wrote:eta: I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to tell you what to do -- I'm in more of a quandry than you are. My dd just did Apology Anatomy last year and is getting ready to start RTR. I have the books, but I've been advised to sub out the science. I'm still trying to decide . . . I need to go through MFW's books some more.
Cyndi- not at all. We have just finished only our 2nd year of homeschooling and having just attending our state convention, I am realizing there is so much more out there....good stuff...and I just want to do what's best for my kiddos! I was a public school teacher years ago and I love curriculum so I get caught up in all the wonderful choices. I agree that b/c my son will be doing general science next year, it might be wise to wait and enjoy the mfw suggested books. :)

IdahoGrown

Unread post by IdahoGrown » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:41 am

I HIGHLY recommend the notebooking journal. It is worth every.single.penny. There is SO much in there to help retain the info. I could not imagine having done Anatomy without the journal. It has crossword puzzles to help remember definitions, discussion questions, drawings to color, lots of activities where they cut parts out and put them together. I was super impressed with the journaI. I also purchased and used the Jr. notebook for my 2nd grader. He got nothing out of Anatomy at.all. He is a busy, on the move, rough and tumble, let's sword fight kind of boy. lol! So it is hard to get him to want to do school work anyway.

My dd used it with RtR and finished it in January (I think). She learned a lot and wasn't super grossed out either. (She goes weak in the knees at the word 'blood'). She was in 7th and it was a perfect fit for her. That book has lots and LOTS of info in it and was well done imo.
LSH in MS wrote:Which journal would you recommend for a 5th grade dyslexic boy? He is doing all the writing he can manage in his LA program, so I wanted it mainly for the activities and retention. Would the Jr journal be too young for him? What are the differences between the two? He writes on a 2nd or 3rd grade level but cognitively is on grade level.
Let me see if I kept the kids' notebooks so I can compare the two. I'll post back shortly. :)

...well I guess I didn't keep them. The journal for an older student would probably be a better fit. It has questions that the student is supposed to answer but those could be done orally. And they aren't every day. The activities are pretty varied. There wasn't much writing other than that (that I can recall...). You could order it, look at it, and return it if it wouldn't work. The JR. journal had coloring pages and really simple activities. I think it would be below the level of a 5th grader, even one with writing struggles.

...editing again...I forgot to say that we used Apologia INSTEAD of the MFW human body books. I didn't ADD it. I think that would be too much. The Apologia book and notebook kept my kids busy for nearly an hour a day for months. If you want to use the MFW books, then waiting on the Apologia book might be a good idea.
Jean
Mom to dd 13 and ds 8
Hs'ing since 2004.
Using Adventures and RtR 2011-2012

Previous cores used: CtG 2010-2011

RBS in OH

Unread post by RBS in OH » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:55 am

Apologia Anatomy is great for just adding to book basket too.
Rachel

ds(14) 8) and dd(14) ;)
We've enjoyed ADV, ECC (2 times), CTG, RTR, EX-1850, 1850-MOD--and now AHL this year!

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi Ladies,

Some great feedback on the Apologia book and for some families this may be a great replacement. I agree with the posters who mention that it is very detailed compared to the other two that MFW recommends in the 5 year cycle. I also thought the poster who cautioned not using too much of the notebook was a good idea. In the past we tried something similar (before these books even existed, I am getting old :) ) and I found we were drowning in too much of a good thing and had to cut way back to make science engaging and enjoyable again. I found that there is plenty of time in the later year's to go deeper, but helping them to understand simple concepts and adding on to that later has worked well for my kids.

The scope and sequence for science in MFW has been thoughtfully laid out. There is a layering of the information so that in the younger years children are receiving some foundational information (many subjects with less information) and in the upper years this foundation is built on again (specific subjects, more information) and then once more during high school (specific subjects, more in-depth).

You will find the science different in each year of the curriculum and the following years are quite different from CTG , so as you make your decision from year to year just remember each year will not be the same. The following three year's will offer specific subjects to study at an elementary level.

MFW uses several publishers for science for grades 2-6 including the Young Explorers Series by Apologia, Exploring Creation with Astronomy (RTR) and Exploring Creation with Botany(Expl-1850). Our author's goal is to select engaging, time efficient, affordable science books for grades 1-6 that cover science topics from a Biblical worldview.

Rome to Reformation was written several years before the Young Explorers, Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy. Our author did review this book once it was released, but decided to keep the original program in RTR. She thought this was still the best age appropriate selection for grades 2-6. I have used the two Young Explorers book mentioned above and thought they covered the subjects well, but we have also enjoyed the variety of books that have been used to teach science throughout the years. I used Rome to Reformation with my now 17 and almost 19 year old when they were younger (4th and 6th grade) and we loved the human body component. It is a great balance of information, hands-on projects and experiments (including a human body that is cut out and put together as you study each of the systems) along with the great book selection of library books found in the Teacher’s Manual to enrich the learning each week. I enjoyed hearing my kids discover interesting facts as they were reading books during Book Basket about the body. We found this to be a wonderful age appropriate introduction for our kids.

As Cyndi mentioned, children will cover the human body two more times before graduating from high school in our scope and sequence, (3 if they choose Biology 2 in high school). It will be covered during the 2nd semester of Apologia’s Jr. High science, Exploring Creation with General Science and again during the high school health elective.

Whichever way you decide to go, have fun and enjoy learning about the amazing, wonderful body that God has created!

Lucy

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:27 pm

wsterk wrote:
Melissa- check this out....i found and was interetsed in doing the same with my littles (ages 3 and 4). Thought my older 2 could work with littles on their body.

http://pinkandgreenmama.blogspot.com/20 ... -life.html
That is super! GREAT ideas! And I need them.... my creativity stopped with "Let's paste our body parts on a big piece of paper!" (... ugh. :-) ) Thank you for sharing. (!)

Cyndi & Lucy, thanks for the heads-up about anatomy getting covered more indepth in 7th & HS science. That's much needed, & a tremendous help. !!

So grateful for all you moms who share your experience.

Have a great rest of the summer -
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4