Holidays, Elections, Olympics, Fall Ideas, Special Days

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
4monkeyz

Re: Christmas fun

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Oooo. Sounds fun!

One of our family's favorite Christmas movies is "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby. Not to mention Frosty & the old Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

I start baking during the first week of Dec./end Nov. -- TONS of cookies!! (like 10-15 different kinds) Heehee. We all decorate and then put together cookie tins for sunday school teachers and friends plus have plenty for holiday trays. It is something my Mom always did when I was a kid, still does actually.

My mother's side is German so we celebrate St. Nick on Dec. 5 -- stockings early!! Then there's Advent and...oh such a fun season!!! :-)
Andrea ~ Mother of four little monkeys (jumping on the bed!), Wife to one incredibly amazing man & a Daughter of the King.
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015

Kab

Unread post by Kab » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi sandi,

It all sounds fun,

We are going to do a Jesse Tree this year.
Christmas baking, make some different crafts probably snow flakes, wreaths and any other craft that looks like fun. We will probably finishup for the Christmas break early December.

Sandi here is a web site that you might be able to find Gluton Free cinnamon buns. She has a
A lot of recipies that she has changed to gluton free for her family.

Lynns Kitchen Adventures
http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/

Hope you have a great Christmas all.

Kim
Learning to wait on the LORD
Happily married to a great husband.
Mommy to two beautiful young girls.
Working through CTG
Back after a year of Classical conversations
Living in beautiful Alberta Canada
~~~~***><>
**~~><>
GHOTI

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 am

We enjoy taking a night to drive around looking at Christmas lights, with orange juice in a thermos and a bag of those cheap cheap cheap Christmas cookies which seem to have less sugar sprinkles on them every year. (The cookies are part of the tradition.) There are certain areas which are lit beautifully, and one home which has a gorgeous light display synchronized with music that you can pick up on your car radio (no kidding), playing music like the Tran-Siberian Orchestra and such. Those are nice, but sometimes we just like driving around and finding the simpler ones. That's always a fun night, which usually ends with our daughter going to sleep in the car and so then my husband and I can have quiet discussions as we drive home.

For the last few years, we've participated in Gospel For Asia's Christmas Gift Campaign, and it's fun to choose a night to prayerfully look through the catalog and see which gift God leads us to... usually an animal or a few animals. :)

We set up an Advent calendar and also have a book which has little booklets about the nativity to read and hang up each night. One year, I drew and then Gail colored pieces to put on our own nativity scene. She was three or four and did surprisingly well!

Coming up in just a few days, our church has a drive-through Live Nativity and we all take part as actors in the scenes. Well, Gail acts in it two nights and then will come through it on another night, but William and I act in it every night. It is the fifteenth year for our church to do this, and it's interesting to remember how it was a Christmas tradition for my family to drive through it even before we went to that church! There are eleven "living" scenes depicting Jesus' birth with over a hundred costumed actors and dozens of live animals each night. Young children like Gail are in the "village" scene of busy Bethlehem, and sometimes we accompany her there as a family. That's hard for my husband and I, though, as we are dependent upon our glasses and can't wear them in the scence. But the end there is a scene which allows us to wear our glasses, with modern day people from various walks of life who are representing "wise men still seeking Him." So this is where we usually work, standing in costume for hours in the cold (or wet!) while thousands of people drive past. It is three nights (10 hours total) that unites our church, solidifies friendships (there's nothing like "suffering" together) and brings back sharply to mind the reason for Christmas! Last year we had over 4,000 people come through, and the testimonies of those who view it can bring one to tears as hearts are softened and even changed for eternity. :-) And the colder it is, or especially if it's snowing or sleeting, the more people are moved! We have to remember that as we stand shivering. ;)

So that is a major part of our Christmas traditions here! After Live Nativity, it seems like it is REALLY time for Christmas!

PS- If anyone lives in northwest Tennessee, come on over to New Harmony Baptist Church for the Live Nativity November 30 through December 2!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

sandi

Fall Ideas

Unread post by sandi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:45 pm

So today being the first day of fall, I was thinking about fun activites too do with the kiddos. We have several fun things we do every year, but I always like to do new things too.

We always put up orange lights around our kitchen door, and paint a huge tree on butcher paper to hang on the door. We enjoy decorating with lots of pumpkin pictures the kids make. Its neat this year to being studying the pilgrims right now in Exploration to 1850. We bake lots of warm yummy foods,and make stain glass windows out of fall colored tissue paper. We enjoy doing the leaf pictures on wax paper.

I was wondering if any of you have any neat ideas of fun things you do, recipes you make, or craft ideas for fall you would share. I thought this would be a fun thread as the weather changes.
His Child,
Sandi

MelissaB

Re: Fall Ideas

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:19 pm

We love the different colored leaves in our state in the fall. We spend a few minutes searching for pretty leaves of all sizes, shapes and colors; glue a few onto bright yellow, orange or red cardstock; and write scripture verses with a sharpie. (When the girls were smaller, we would put their handprint on a few, too. Those are precious times.)

One year, we purchased some stick-on eyes, felt and pipe cleaners to decorate little pumpkin people. Each member of our family decorated a little pumpkin representative of themselves, and we displayed them on the fireplace mantle - complete with name tags underneath so family members and friends could see which "person" was whom.

Caramel apples, popcorn and hot tea while we make the decorations are becoming a tradition, too. :)

Great post idea. Thanks for rekindling my love for fall!
sandi wrote:Oh I really like the pumpkin people idea. Very cute! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 15 & 12
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

disneymommy

Fun special days

Unread post by disneymommy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:49 pm

I read the post about "Icebox pie Day" and thought it sounded like such a fun tradition. It got me thinking about all the special little days I'd like to celebrate with my kids but that end up getting lost in the shuffle. Like Groundhog Day, Dr. Seuss' birthday, the first day of spring.

One other idea I'm hoping to implement is a book day once a month. I'll make lots of special snacks and we will all read! Maybe go to the library that morning. And then spend the day with no screens, so scheduled activities, no other school. Just sharing books together or reading on our own. In the winter, we can snuggle under blankets and in the summer, we can read on blankets in the yard.

I'd love to hear ideas about specific days you make a point to celebrate and any ideas about what you do (whether it's just a small thing or whether you make a whole day of it). I am planning to sit down with my calendar as I plan out our next school year and actually put some of these days in there so I'm prepared. Thanks!!

MelissaB

Re: Fun special days

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Love that idea! !?

We have two girls. On Fridays, we try to have "Tea on the Terrace" - which means we drink a cup of hot tea on our front porch. :-)

Each week, one daughter and I share that special tea time (we rotate weeks). I have a list of questions to ask her that we brought home from a Bright Lights (Mother & Daughter) conference years ago that help open the door for her to share her heart with me. It's a very special time, and the girls never let me forget to have it.

Thanks for getting this topic started!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 15 & 12
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

disneymommy

Unread post by disneymommy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:21 pm

I love that tea idea. I have a friend with mostly boys who does poet teas. They all read poetry aloud and have a special tea.

I really like your idea of it being one on one, but I have five! And the little ones are too little to be left alone while I'm with another, so I may have to get creative to make that work.

After I posted this thread, I went hunting and found this website:

http://holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/may.htm

We're having fun picking a few unusual days from this list to celebrate!

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks for the reminder to schedule fun days! I really like the book day idea....sounds right up our alley. I keep being reminded of the important of establishing family traditions. :-)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

mtmom9107

Looking for Thanksgiving Unit Study

Unread post by mtmom9107 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:06 pm

I am looking for a good Thanksgiving unit study, lapbook and/or good books and activities for a kindergartner and preschooler. I would gear it more toward the kindergartner if I had the choice. My dd (6) is doing MFW K and I would like to take the week before Thanksgiving off from the K program and focus for a little bit on Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Laura

Wife to my darling Jeramy for 8 years
Mommy to:
Josie~age 7 ~ Currently using: Learning God's Story.
Eva~age 4 ~ Currently using: Sonlight P4/5, Rod and Staff workbooks.
Judah~22 months
Baby girl coming early November, 2015

hsm

Looking for Thanksgiving Unit Study

Unread post by hsm » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:55 am

mtmom9107 wrote:I am looking for a good Thanksgiving unit study, lapbook and/or good books and activities for a kindergartner and preschooler. I would gear it more toward the kindergartner if I had the choice. My dd (6) is doing MFW K and I would like to take the week before Thanksgiving focus for a little bit on Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Check out homeschoolshare.com. Lots of free lapbooks there. HTH! :)
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

klewfor3

Re: Looking for Thanksgiving Unit Study

Unread post by klewfor3 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:35 am

I use the Teacherspayteachers.com website. They have everything from full blown curriculum, unit studies and lap books, to simple worksheets. They have lots of free or very low priced items. I have also heard that Amanda Bennett has good unit studies.

So fun! I need to start checking things out for myself!
Kathy

Julie in MN

Re: Looking for Thanksgiving Unit Study

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:20 pm

A few more ideas from past posts I remember:

Fall and other holidays: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 439#p42822

Adventures: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3926
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2465

I always checked the homeschooling portion of About.Com for holiday activities. Here is some of their Thanksgiving page for homeschoolers:
http://homeschooling.about.com/od/holid ... sprint.htm

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Some MLK Day ideas

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:17 am

We listened to Dr. King's "Drum Major" sermon on MLK Day. It's excellent, too! Most of the speeches are audio only, but the Mountaintop sermon has video. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 15 & 12

Julie in MN

Leap Year Day

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:18 am

Just talking about some fun stuff with my grandson this morning, and found a few things online:

Goofy Veggie Tales video, Larry's Leapin' Leap Year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BaXMYn07RE

A website for folks born on Leap Year Day (this is the page for kids): http://www.leapyearday.com/content/kids-page

The history of Leap Year: http://inventors.about.com/cs/invention ... p_year.htm

Leap Years on the Hebrew calendar: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/jewish-leap-year.html

Hmmm, I wonder if we should play leap frog...
or make math problems with the number 29 in them...

Have fun!
gratefulmom wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:51 pm
I had a new son on Leap Day...did a little googling as well and found that he can be called a leapling:) We are enjoying his precious little life and trying to maintain some schooling too, but giving myself grace to not get it all done! I will be checking out the sight you linked for kids born on leap day!
Oh, congratulations to your family! What an interesting birthday he will have all his life :-)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MFW-Julie/Archiver

Happy Veterans Day!

Unread post by MFW-Julie/Archiver » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Happy Veterans Day,
and thank you to all our message board members who are serving our country while homeschooling!
Here is a 2-minute video on veterans at History.com, Veterans Day By The Numbers: http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/ ... -day-facts

Today, I learned (or reviewed) some interesting facts from the Department of Veterans Affairs website:

* The original holiday was Armistice Day.
* The original holiday celebrated peace and the end of WWI, as well as honoring veterans of that war.
* In 1954, after WWII and the Korean War, the name changed from Armistice Day to Veterans Day, honoring all our veterans.
* In 1968, there was an attempt to move the holiday to a Monday, "It was thought that these extended weekends would encourage travel, recreational and cultural activities and stimulate greater industrial and commercial production." It didn't go over very well; by 1978 the holiday was back on November 11.
* The correct spelling has no apostrophe.
* Veterans Day honors all veterans, especially those living among us today, while Memorial Day honors veterans who died in service. (Therefore, visiting veteran hospitals is popular on Veterans Day, while veteran cemeteries often have special events on Memorial Day.)
* Several other countries who were a part of WWI also celebrate November 11.
* In Canada and Britain, poppies commemorate their November 11 holiday, while in America, poppies commemorate Memorial Day. This custom is based on the poem In Flanders Fields, written by a WWI veteran.

https://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetdayhistory.asp (history)
http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetday_faq.asp (FAQ)

MFW-Christy

Christmas Traditions

Unread post by MFW-Christy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:53 am

Traditions. I love them … and I don’t. I love them because they are familiar and fun and memory makers. I don’t love them because they are expected and can often create pressure that is not needed.

We keep things VERY simple in our home during this holiday season. We decorate, bake, watch Christmas movies, look at Christmas lights, and enjoy a Candlelight Christmas service on Christmas Eve. We also enjoy reading one of the Advent books written by Arnold Ytreeide – our favorite is Jotham’s Journey.

What is your favorite Christmas tradition? What do your kids look forward to each year? Do you have something you would like to begin as a tradition?
Christy Callahan - MFW Customer Service Team Lead
Wife to Mike (homeschooling dad)
Mom to 5 blessings and foster mom to many

manyblessings

Re: Christmas Traditions

Unread post by manyblessings » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Your favorites sound like my favorites, exactly :) This year, my oldest brother and I want to revive one from when we were kids- cooking a full-blown Puerto Rican Christmas Eve meal together. You see, time and distance had come between us and our family. Mom passed 22 years ago, and Dad just passed on December first-his funeral was today and neither of us was able to attend due to financial reasons. Our middle brother was able to go and be with our relatives. So this Christmas, we are going to get together. This kind of thing reminds you how short life is, and that "someday" may never come, so make those memories today!
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in K, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD
2017-2018 GCA

tiffanys

Unread post by tiffanys » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:40 am

Our traditions that must get done every year:

*Polar Express night - read the book, watch the movie with pizza, hot cocoa, and treats. Super simple but always a fun night!
*Making cookies
*Tons and tons of beautiful Christmas picture books. We add a new one each year.
*Looking at Christmas lights.
*Depending on where we live, some sort of Christmas display. Our last town had two beautiful & free events, we are still on the hunt for the perfect thing for our new community.
*Ornament making night - we make a new ornament each year for our tree. Usually it ties into what we are learning about in some way (a historical folk craft, etc.)
*Making gingerbread houses (actually made of graham crackers and assembled with hot glue, then using store bought frosting to stick candy on).
*Buy each kid a special ornament that is reflective of their year in some way - an interest or hobby or skill they developed over the year.
*No spending of personal money after November 1st, then going shopping mid-December to buy gifts for each other.

It looks like a lot, but it gets spread out over the month so it is not daunting. I've been really sick the past two Decembers and we've still managed it all.

Funny enough, last year we were studying Norway in ECC right before Christmas, so we had rice porridge on Christmas Eve turned into rice pudding with Lingonberry sauce on Christmas day for dessert. Well, apparently that has now become "tradition" because it is the one thing that my kids requested for our Christmas meal.
Tiffany
Having a great year with Adventures with my two older boys - 3rd & 1st grades
With the world's chattiest 4 year old boy & his 2 year old sister tagging along

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Our Christmas traditions include:

*I bake and the kids decorate gingerbread cookies. (We read the story of The Gingerbread Man when my oldest was in Kindergarten. The book we used had a recipe for gingerbread men. We made the cookies that year to go with the story. The recipe is wonderful...such soft and tasty cookies. Now, it has become a tradition for us). We listen to the Brenda Lee Christmas album while we bake. That is something that has carried over from baking with my mom when I was young.

*We read the devotional The Twelve Names of Christmas: Who Jesus is to Me by Family Life and add the ornaments of 12 names of Jesus to a small Christmas tree devoted just to those ornaments. We do one each night for 12 nights leading up to our family Christmas celebration.

*We bake and decorate a birthday cake for Jesus. We sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and eat the cake after our Christmas meal at our family Christmas celebration.

Occasionally, I make the table fancy for our little Christmas celebration, putting a table cloth and candles on the table and using the good dishes :-) but that is something I'd like to make a regular part of our family Christmas celebration. We don't get "fancy" very often at our house. We're pretty casual people. But when we celebrate the Biblical feasts a number of years ago while studying CTG, we used the table cloth, candles, and good dishes, and it made the meal so special. I think it would be fun to do that each year for Christmas, too. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (18 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD

MFW-Julie/Archiver

MLK Day... And Black History Month in February

Unread post by MFW-Julie/Archiver » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:40 am

Martin Luther King Day – The 3rd Monday in January
AND Black History Month – February

(AKA National African American History Month)

We always spent some time on MLK in January. Or, some folks like to include Black History Month activities in February. If you are looking for a little something to do, here are a few ideas -- new ones and old.

Books Books Books

I Have A Dream illustrated by Kathleen A. Wilson.
Just the Dream speech, with impressive illustrations. We've read this many times.

A Picture Book of Martin Luther King, Jr., by David Adler.
Or watch the Reading Rainbow guy read it aloud while showing the book's illustrations. It seems fitting that this story of a pastor's life is filmed at Dr. King’s church, begins with the Golden Rule, and plays Amazing Grace in the background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-RyrakaQM (9 minutes - actual reading starts at 2:15)

Martin’s Big Words, a longer picture book by Doreen Rappaport.
This has been recorded by several people on youtube, but this old-fashioned version may be my favorite, with its deep-voiced narrator and choir in the background. Younger kids might prefer a more upbeat mom-type reading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBKP6v3rWSI (11 minutes)

Getting Creative

(1) I love the I Have a Dream speech, and we would often follow up by drawing or writing our own dream. I would put it on the fridge for a while and then in my son’s notebook. Here are some of the types of ideas I have used, but you could easily make a page yourself.

Writing our dream: http://abcteach.com/peace/martin__king1.htm
Drawing our dream: https://www.teachervision.com/martin-lu ... dpdf=print
Changing MLK’s wording a bit to our own wording today: http://www.teach-nology.com/worksheets/misc/mlk/if/

(2) Reading speeches aloud with a lot of enthusiasm can be fun. You could even take turns, practicing some of those public speaking skills. The transcript of the Dream speech is on this website: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeche ... adream.htm

(3) Listening to the speech aloud is also meaningful - the link above also has the original audio recording of the Dream speech.

Info

(1) Here is a list of Bible references in the I Have a Dream speech (an a link to verses used in some of his other sermons):
https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2011/ ... am-speech/

(2) Here's some info about the National Parks Memorial in D.C.: https://www.nps.gov/mlkm/learn/building ... morial.htm
and the National Parks Historic Site in GA: https://www.nps.gov/malu/frequently_ask ... center.htm

(3) A 3-minute cartoon with "fun facts" about MLK, including how he and his father ended up with Martin Luther’s name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQeX7IFBcg

(4) A cute young boy narrates a bio of MLK on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXZhXTFWnE (3-1/2 minutes)

More!
hsmomof5 wrote:Last year, We watched the I Have A Dream Speech on the History Channel.com
We checked out Library books and created a MLK notebook on his life. We got a lot of printouts for our notebook from enchantedlearning.com
The year prior to that, we took a visit to the Civil Rights Museum.
I don't have any big plans this year. We are going to view some documentaries on his life.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 253#p46253
I'd love to hear more fun traditions for this Federal Holiday!

Poohbee

Re: MLK Day on Monday

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:33 pm

I have a VHS copy of an animated movie called Our Friend, Martin. It's a time-travel adventure, but it has actual historical footage. My kids and I enjoyed watching that each year until our VHS player broke down. Now, I get out all of my books about MLK, Jr. (I've collected quite a few), and have the kids look through them and read a few each year. It's good to remember both him and that period of history.
Jen
happily married to Vince (18 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD

MFW-Julie/Archiver

Unread post by MFW-Julie/Archiver » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Jen, I didn't know that movie had historical footage included. I'll have to watch it - learning is a lifelong pleasure, right :)

Also, I got an email from someone in Memphis -- there are lots of commemorations there.

Memphis, TN, where MLK died

1. Visit the National Civil Rights Museum (at the hotel where MLK was shot):
Virtual tour: http://www.civilrightsmuseum.org/

2. The MLK Day of Service is one of the major local traditions and involves cleaning up "trash and blight."
http://members.memphischamber.com/event ... vice-11694

3. Choose 901 (the Memphis area code) emphasizes service events and also encouragement through a parade, etc.
https://choose901.com/martin-luther-king-jr-day-2017/

4. Some churches will sing Lift Every Voice and Sing, the "black national anthem," during weekend services.

5. Another tradition is to encourage voter registration.

6. April 4, the day MLK was killed, is a Memphis city holiday.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks for the link to the speech and audio. We listened and followed along. One of my boys said, "It's a very inspiring speech!" The other said, "I like how poetic Martin Luther King was." My husband doesn't get this day off so we usually just do our regular school day, and I've never really done anything for it. Today, I added it to our history time (we had just read about Benjamin Rush and how he formed the first Abolition group in Pennsylvania, so it was very fitting).
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(16), Charlie(12), and Trent(12)
2012-2013 - 1850MOD w/ 2nd/3rd supplement
2013-2014 - ECC w/ 7th/8th supplement
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
My blog

MFW-Julie/Archiver

Inauguration Day on Friday

Unread post by MFW-Julie/Archiver » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Inauguration Day – The 20th of January following a presidential election

Another national tradition this month - ceremonies surrounding the Inauguration which happens this Friday. If you are looking for a little something to do, here are a few ideas to choose from for different ages or interests. Feel free to add more!

Books Books Book?

I can't believe that a bibliophile like me does not have a single book in mind for Inaugurations! Please help - share if you have read a good one! Here is one that came up on a quick search, but I have NOT read it: Democracy's Big Day by Jim Bendat.

Getting Creative

(1) Write a letter to welcome the new president and/or thank the old one.

(2) Watch or even try reciting a previous inaugural address.

For younger kids, our first president gave the shortest speech at his second inauguration:
http://www.inaugural.senate.gov/about/p ... ceremonies

FDR's famous line that "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" is from his inaugural address:
This is the full transcript and a *part* of the original audio. He pretty much starts right out with his famous phrase.
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5057/

For older kids, Kennedy’s address has many famous lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEC1C4p0k3E
His address starts at about 1:30
His “ask not” lines are near the end, around 13:55
His “pay any price… oppose any foe” – reflecting the Cold War - happens at about 3:35

Don't try to memorize President Harrison's address, as it was 8,500 words and may have led to his death from pneumonia!

(3) Of course, we can write our own great speeches!

(4) How about graphing something - maybe the presidents' ages at inauguration?!
http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0194030.html

(5) Copy The Oath of Office:
Article II, Section 1, United States Constitution wrote:"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
Info - Learn About the Events of Inauguration Day

(1) Outline of Friday’s events, beginning with prayer. The Oath of Office is shown
http://www.inaugural.senate.gov/days-events
(Events also include a ceremony at 3:30 on Thursday to honor veterans. There is supposed to be more info added to this page soon:
https://www.58pic2017.org/events/wreath-laying-ceremony )

(2) What happens on Inauguration Day? Includes some clips of previous presidents, by the History channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCQBcZ3vRc (2 min.)

(3) A 3-minute video on the history of the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXDrQm4hbFw

(4) About the first inauguration, by CBS News, featuring quite a bit on the original Bible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOA1oagp1-Y (4 min.)

(5) Drama honoring the amazing accomplishment of transferring power (slightly different theories about the original Bible):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQQQRBCbmG4 (4 min.)

(6) For older kids, a historian chats about inauguration details over time - differences and sameness.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4647597/ ... -artifacts (8 min.)

More!

Presidential Inauguration Bingo Game Printable - A fun way to listen to a speech!
http://www.hiphomeschoolmoms.com/presid ... ingo-game/

For the architects among us – a platform must be built to hold 1,600 - wow!
http://www.inaugural.senate.gov/inaugural-platform

MFW tie-ins:
4littlehearts wrote:This week we are reading about the swearing in of the first President of the US in week 11 of Adventures.

I'd love to hear more ideas for Inauguration Day!