Schedule - Ideas for daily routines, mornings

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
kerby

Re: Helpful book? And routines vs. schedules

Unread post by kerby » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:53 pm

MOTH did not fit well overall. My dc did not take well to a strict schedule and if we had to adjust it at all, they would get really upset, especially oldest ds. Also, when I didn't follow it to a 'T' then dh was upset w/ me. He thought I should be able to just start following it w/out an adjustment period or modifying if we found that something had to be switched/moved. The book even said to take it in steps if you needed to.

Anyway, I certainly benefited from the book. I am definitely needing to get this aspect of my life under control, whether I'm hsing or not. &) If you can find the book(s) and read it(them), then ascertain whether or not you want to spend the money.
In HIS hands,
K

4 Blessings - 2 graduated
K, 1rst, Adv, ECC, CtG, RtR, AHL

sojen

Which is better..."fun" stuff in morning or afternoon?

Unread post by sojen » Mon May 10, 2010 12:34 pm

mommyintraining wrote:Do you prefer to get math, LA, etc. done in the mornings or afternoons?
Terri
Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings!
We split it up here. I do math and LA with my younger child in the morning while my dd9 plays with the "baby" (he's three). Then I can focus with the older child while ds3 takes a nap in the afternoon. This can make for a long day, so make sure if you do something like that you start your day early. If your family is prone to sleep in this may not work.
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

TriciaMR

Re: Which is better..."fun" stuff in morning or afternoon?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon May 10, 2010 12:44 pm

We do Bible, History, and Science first. Then, I explain any independent work to her.

Then, my dd does her independent work while I work with my boys on their K program.

Then, I check her independent work, and we do English, and Reading. (Lunch is usually read alouds). After lunch we finish up with Spelling, Writing (when scheduled), Art, Music, Foreign Language.

So, we kind of split up the "fun" stuff. If my dd had trouble getting stuff done, I'd do the Math, Spelling, English, Reading, Writing and Vocab first. But this year she's been pretty good at staying on task. Splitting it up encourages her to get started and stay going through the end of the school day.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

schoolmom2

Unread post by schoolmom2 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:00 pm

I have two boys, and they start to run out of brain power shortly after lunchtime. I keep hands-on activities like art and science for after lunch, and the more "brainy" stuff for before lunch, punctuated with two short or one long break in the mid-morning.

I have found, though, that I often need to change things up. It's just like when they like mac & cheese for three years, then all of a sudden decide that they "don't like it." I guess variety is the spice of life, right?! :-)

Beth

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon May 10, 2010 3:43 pm

If our day permits, we do the intensive academics in the AM and then the fun stuff. Often we are done with everything by noon. The recommended schedule in the TM starts at 8 and is done by 12 with Music after lunch occasionally. (My dc are morning people, so after lunch less good deep thinking occurs.)

Edie

niki

Unread post by niki » Mon May 10, 2010 3:47 pm

We flip flop...depends on an early bird starting school significantly before the others...that'll start the "independent" stuff first. Then other days we usually start with Bible at or right after breakfast and then the rest of reading/together things. We usually take a break at that point and then finish all else after break and/or lunch if needed. If kids are up early, they usually like getting a jump-start on their siblings :) We're most always finished before lunch unless we follow a rabbit trail or two :)
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:52 pm

We try to do all the "academic" stuff before lunch. Music is usually during lunch (listening to the cd's) and art will be after lunch typically. I'm thinking with all the experiments in CTG next year, we'll be doing those after lunch too.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

blazingacres

Just curious about some things...

Unread post by blazingacres » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:44 pm

I'm just curious about how some of you have school in your home, and thought it would be interesting to share.

Like, do you have your children recite The Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not (if you don't mind sharing)?
  • We do not do The Pledge of Allegiance, however, we do have the flag proudly displayed in our school room.
Do you school morning or afternoon.....or both?
  • We school in the morning, just after eating, getting dressed, and brushing teeth.
Do you have centers for your younger children? What kinds?
  • We have centers.....reading, art, sensory, dramatic play, science, math, writing.
Do you work in a room, at a table, on the couch, etc....
  • We have an extra living room that we weren't really using, so we converted it to a school room.
Do you pray with your children at school?
  • We pray before we start most mornings. Sometimes the girls are jumping straight to the calendar because they are so excited.
Do your children memorize the memory verses?
  • My children enjoy the memory verses & get a star on a chart for their work. When it is full, they get a dollar to spend at the dollar store.
If you have an uncooperative child, what do you do?
  • I have a child who tends to be uncooperative quite often, and I ask her to leave the room. I tell her when she is ready to participate, she can return. It doesn't take her long as she doesn't want to miss a thing!
Do you decorate your school area?
  • We decorate a lot. Posters, signs, etc....and I try to change them every week, so it's new & exciting. I hang everything craft item they make for the week. They love that.
Do you pick & choose through the curriculum and activities, or do you try to do it all?
  • Right now, we are doing everything in both Kdg & 1st. My 1st grader wants more, so she loves to do the Kdg work too. They LOVE all the hands on learning, so we do it all. Just bought a sun tea jar today, as a matter of fact!
Can anyone say books?? LOL! Between buying what I can find & keeping my librarian hopping, we are covered up in books! I have a hard time finding so many of them though, do you? Does anyone know a great online place for inexpensive used books? I looked at amazon, but the $3.99 shipping per book, kills it for me.
  • I supplement with a lot of books...whatever I can find on the topic at hand.
Do you have an actual PE program you follow?
  • Regarding PE...swingset, pool, swingset, pool........swingset, pool. I need to get more organized, I guess. I did buy some cool stuff, like colored cones, jump ropes, the things you sit on & push with your feet (they are square with wheels on them), etc....
Let's see.........can't think of anything else right now, but I'll answer the questions! I have to admit, that since we just started, I wonder what I'm forgetting to do. If I've missed a question that you are curious about, add it below & we'll see what/how everyone is doing!

~blazingacres~

cbollin

Re: Just curious about some things...

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Like, do you have your children recite The Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not (if you don't mind sharing)?
Decline to answer.

In between life, doctor appointments, etc. both and evening sometimes. Definitely not an 8-noon person.

No. just not organized or energetic enough.

All the above.

I only seem to remember to do this because prayer is part of MFW. Just being honest.

yes

(I think that should really say, "When your child is uncooperative, what do you do?"
I go for the real reason they aren’t cooperating and fix that problem. Hungry? Feed ‘em. Tired, let them rest. Overworked, do something else. Autism? Do sensory integration stuff. Teenager? Give her 10 minutes on FB, cup of water, and tell her finish this before you get your tunes.
Mostly, my kids are cooperative kids, but we all have bad moments.

You mean with more than timelines and maps?
No. I'm not creative or pretty.

Do you pick & choose through the curriculum and activities, or do you try to do it all?

The curriculum is already pre selected, so I tend to do nearly all of it.

Can anyone say books?? LOL! Between buying what I can find & keeping my librarian hopping, we are covered up in books! I have a hard time finding so many of them though, do you? Does anyone know a great online place for inexpensive used books? I looked at amazon, but the $3.99 shipping per book, kills it for me.
Try BooksBloom .com
I don’t know her shipping rate. Tell her some lady named Crystal who uses MFW says hi.

Not yet. they do dance, archery. I do group exercise. But definitely not a traditional PE program.

Ok. adding the other questions:
Jumper or No?
(no denim jumper)

Do you call it Soda or Pop?

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 pm

When my little guys first went to Awana's, we did until they had it memorized. Now that they know it, we don't. They would if we did. Some days we put our flag out on the front of the house.

We usually spill over into the afternoon for about 1 hour.

Nope. My younger children are twins, and they play with each other pretty well.

Yes. And Yes. And yes. And each of the kids has their own desk, too.

Yes. I try to remember to pray as we start - for the kids, for us, for their dad at work, etc.

Yes!

When you have an uncooperative child, what do you do?
Depends on which child. Oldest is very cooperative now. When she was younger, we often just had to "take a break" until we cooled off. Younger boys, well, they fuss and complain, but will generally cooperate. We're working on getting to the point of cooperating without the fussing and complaining.

Just the timeline, one multiplication chart, verses we're working on. Oh, our 10 Commandments display from school this year is still up. Our big map is up. And, letter flashcards for the boys are up. But, I'm not one to do it, because we school in our formal living room and dining room - so it needs to stay presentable for other activities.

Tend to do almost all of it, unless seasonally it won't work (you know, it's winter, and starting a garden in the middle of winter with no south-facing windows just isn't going to work.

We have a great library, so it's not too much of a problem. I tend to pack away the books from the previous year so we have room for current stuff.

We have a local guy who has "PE Class" once a week. My boys do that. My dd does Worship Dance. They ride their bikes in the basement. Try the elliptical out. Bounce on the jogging trampoline. Run around the play fort in the back yard. Climb, swing, etc. Sometimes they play t-ball in our back yard. But, no, no specific program.

Jumper or No?
No denim jumper - I'm the wrong shape :) .

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:08 pm

I think this is fun that you decided to ask these questions. I know the answers could help give me so more ideas of things to do that would help.
blazingacres wrote:I'm just curious about how some of you have school in your home, and thought it would be interesting to share.

I bought a flag, and we did for about 1 month last fall and 1 month in January. I haven't been very consistent with it (obviously). I also bought a Christian flag and had them doing that as well, in addition to the pledge to the Bible, since I consider us a Christian home school. The reasons why would I suppose be I grew up saying the pledge in school every morning, and I think it was positive. I thought the Christian flag would be a nice addition to my public school upbringing. The reason it has been inconsistant is the reality that I am less organized with kids under 5 than I would like to be and do better and better as they reach 7 since I have a lot of experience working with kids 7 - 16.

Both. The goal is to start by 9 or 10. Most days we do, and then some days we wait until after lunch. I know when it isn't going to work with the youngest two, so I wait. There are also days where it's so beautiful, recently here and there, and we go to the park before the clouds come in.

I don't. I do though have a lot of puzzles, games, toys, MFW learning toys, etc. I pull out different activities every day for the younger ones when we start school.

Mostly the kitchen table. Sometimes outside. Read-alouds are mostly on the couch. I have a school room set up, and sometimes they use it to do the school work so I am keeping it set up. It mostly though is a great place for the computer, small pets in cages, flag, book storage, craft storage, etc. We are in here though off and on all day.

I want to. Our prayers at the moment are meals and bedtime and impromptu. I would like to add prayer to school.

Yes! My oldest ds memorizes for MFW, Sunday School, and Awana. I am extremely blessed though with the fact he memorizes easily. He also memorizes any songs or verses I play in the car.

Both my ds cooperate for school at this point. Out side of school is fairly typical parenting / discipline/ etc.

It has two mice, one gecko, two bookcases with books, a few desks, computer, bean bags (our computer is our DVD player), shelves for science / art supplies, art pictures by the kids, US & world maps, daily work for MFW, etc. Our toy / family room walls our covered with projects from MFW Grade 1 Art & Activites done by the kids (I think they are my favorite walls in the house).

I am using Horizon Math this year and planning to do Singapore next year. So I skip the math. I want to add in the calandar though. I also skip a lot of the letter learning in MFW K since my ds already knows his letters and letter sounds; I am using the rest of the phonics though for learning to read and all of the work sheets. Other than those few things we do everything in K & Grade 1.

Oh I love buying books for the kids! I have to limit myself in this area, and stick to the budget. We still have Sonlights free shipping, so I buy some there. We use the library. I used to have a membership with Barnes & Nobles that was somewhat helpful. I agree with you about Amazon's shipping! Lamplighter has a great book club with older classics that they have edited. They have high character lessons, and they edit out what might be offensive. Books such as Hedge of Thorns & Teddy Button. I have bought some of the illustrated books for kids and really like them. They have a lot of chapter books for ages 6 - 99, and I haven't joined their book club yet but they give free shipping to those who do.

I do not. We do have a play set though in the backyard, and I take them to the park some. We take swimming lessons when we think it will work. My son wants to play soccor. At some point we may need to do more. My kids are active by nature, but I realize it may take a bit more than that. The monkey bars are helpful. We do play baseball & soccor in the yard (we have a few acres).

Denim Jumper?

No, I don't. The closest I came was overalls I had during pregnancy, so comfortable. I don't have them anymore.

Crock Pot?

I bought one with good intentions, but haven't used it.

Soda or Pop?

Soda Pop. I had to ask my dh where this came from, and we figured it out. He is from PA where they say soda, and I am from WA where they say pop, after 12 years of marriage they have come together as Soda Pop - which is what our kids say. :-)

Let's see.........can't think of anything else right now, but I'll answer the questions! I have to admit, that since we just started, I wonder what I'm forgetting to do.

I wish I was better at organizing meals. Hmm... What do you do?
Last edited by gratitude on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.

club190

Unread post by club190 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:19 pm

Do you have your children recite The Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not (if you don't mind sharing)?
Nope, but we say it at Scouts. I've been thinking about it somewhat since reading an old article in Homeschool Digest though.

Both. I have kids all over the age spectrum so we do what we do when we do it. I tried the MOTH schedule and it bombed majorly. I've GOT to wake up in the morning before I get moving. The brain takes a bit longer these days.

Nope, we just live in the house, doing what makes sense where it makes the most sense.

See above. Table time work at the Kitchen table, read alouds in the living room.

We pray together but not really for "school" but then again, I rarely call what we do "school" to the kids, only when talking to adults. Does that make any sense?

We do Scripture memory, but have not yet begun the MFW program.

That really depends on a lot of things -- the why behind the issue is the biggest factor, the child's basic temperament is the other factor. Sometimes the little man has to be told to go to his room until he can be loving and kind. Sometimes, I need to go to my room! Losing freedoms is what works for my teens.

We have a timeline that begins in one corner of the dining room, runs all the way down the hallway, turns back, and then comes around through the kitchen and back to the dining area. That's it. I was a decorator before I had kids and I really don't like hanging up all kinds of chachkas. A current craft is fine for the fridge, and we do have large art pieces that we rotate for "picture study" but that's it. I'm kind of weird about how the house looks. I can't function if things are strewn around all willy nilly!

This will be our first year with MFW and I am planning to do it all, with some slight modifications. I'm one of the few homeschoolers who can't stand Saxon math so we won't do that, I use IEW not Writing Strands, plus I'm not using Apologia at this time with this child. I'm using the BJUP Earth Science book instead, and since he's doing ECC for high school credit, I did ratchet a couple of things up a notch -- Added Lightning Lit World 1, at least for the poetry. Added a World-wide Folk Tales book for book basket time. Added a few Geography Matters items too, nothing drastic.

I often do well with Ebay, especially when someone is combining shipping that's a nice thing. When I really want a particular book I try Alibris or Abebooks. But honestly, sometimes, it just isn't worth it to buy used. There used to be more used book stores around. What a pleasure it was to search out books on my list -- like a treasure hunt. Oh, and watch for library sales! You can often find some really good stuff at those.

No, the kids are active in Scouts, plus the little guy likes to play. We do have a pool in our development that I'm often telling myself we should utilize more often. Just going for walks would be good though too.

Denim Jumper?
I have one. It makes me look about 7 months pregnant though so I rarely wear it. I have a few other jumper style dresses that are cut in far more flattering fabrics than denim. My favorite though is that loose pullover style dress with a high-ish waist, not an empire, but close. The plus is they usually are done in a cotton knit, so they are comfy, machine washable, and made so Dan can't nurse all the time! (How mean is that?!)

Crockpot?
You bet! Google the Crock Pot Salisbury Steak recipe by that young southern momma. That's a good one. I usually grill a bunch of the patties at a time then freeze them to make the prep that much easier.

Soda or Pop?
Soda, when we have it, that is. Plus, we say "creek" not "crick". I've noticed that our short o's have gotten broader since being here in PA though!

Fun!
Blessings,
Chris
Wife to Jim since '91
Mom to:
Matthew, 18, Ursinus College student
Andrew, 14, ECC 7/8 + a few extras to make it "official" for high school credit
Daniel, 5, wanting to "do school" but still not really ready

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:01 pm

...when we're being consistent with Circle Time (fall, winter). We also say the pledge to the Christian Flag and Bible. The kids like it.

...both, there is NO WAY we could get finished with school by lunch, does anyone? Really?

...no

...math and language arts and art and music and notebooking at the kitchen table, ALL reading in the family room. I never send anyone to their bedroom alone.

...yes, before we read the bible portion.

...yes, we do the SCM scripture memory box, our K "bible truths" are in there too

...stop reading and take care of it, which is a pain, because it makes all the others have to wait, which means I usually come back to 6 kiddos WAAAY off track

...the kids' drawings are everywhere, we put very few charts up, and then take them down, when we do K, we have a set of flashcards up, I really want new maps, and we never put our timeline up when we moved here a year ago...so no, it looks like a kitchen and family room, not a kindergarten classroom

...pick and choose, we don't do very many of the "projects"

...we use Amazon, we spend a lot of money on books, but I figure, if it's in the TM book list, it's very worth having, and it will be used by many children, and maybe many grandchildren. We do compare now with Books A Million, we get a very good military discount with them

...no, ballet classes and baseball and playing outside

Soda or Pop?
...pop, but I've caught Brian saying "soda" a few times

Denim Jumper?
...no

Meals, Crockpot?
...not organized about this at all, Brian and I are usually texting "What's for dinner?" around 3 PM...I say, "whatever is quick and easy"...he's much more creative, and blesses us with dinner quite a few nights each week (he likes to cook)
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:56 pm

We do not recite The Pledge of Allegiance. One, kids haven't learned it yet and two, it just hasn't come up.

We try to school in the morning, but sometimes start after lunch.

We do not have centers.

We have a schoolroom with a large old dining room table but sometimes use our regular dining room table.

We do pray at the beginning of each school session. Sometimes I will give them a specific topic or person to pray for.

Do your children memorize the memory verses? Yes, even the 3-year-old

If you have an uncooperative child, what do you do? Try to get to the root of the problem. It hasn't been too much a problem yet.

Do you decorate your school area? Yes as we are able. Our schoolroom is in the basement w/concrete walls so it's hard to put things up.

I try to do most of the curriculum but we are really behind and just doing basics right now.

Do you have an actual PE program you follow? No

Jumpers? Can never find any.

Crock pot? My best friend!

We say soda around these parts :)
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:58 pm

We don't during our school time - we go to Community Bible Study, and they say it every week in there. Honestly, I'm just not that "school-ish"...I DO want them to know it though, so if they didn't already learn it at Bible study, I would have taught it to them.
Well, that depends on if we actually get up and get moving or not LOL. Typically, morning. The *ideal* is to be done by lunch, but more often it spills over a little after lunch, because we don't get up on time, and get started way late.
No not really. I would love to set some up for my littlest one coming up though.
Yes. :-) We just recently enclosed a screen porch to make a school room/sunroom, and so in the last month or so, we've schooled in there - the kids sat on the porch furniture, and I sat in a rocking chair. Before that, we almost always schooled in the living room, either on the floor or on the couch. I don't think we EVER sit at a table, unless someone is in trouble.
Yes. :-)
Not *always*, again, because they do a lot of memorization through Community Bible Study, but a lot of them, yes, we do.
Make them do their work at the table LOL. Seriously, though, depends on the child, but sometimes, I send them outside to run around the house a few times. Sometimes, I will send them to their room until they are ready to cooperate. Sometimes I assign extra assignments or chores.
Well, up until we enclosed the porch, my school area was a corner of my only living room, so I didn't have anywhere really to decorate. I *am* enjoying beginning to decorate our school room now. I've found some cute posters/pictures, and will hang up our white board, bulletin board, and maps.
We mostly do it all, but I *can* be flexible and skip something if it's just too much.
Can anyone say books?? LOL! Between buying what I can find & keeping my librarian hopping, we are covered up in books! I have a hard time finding so many of them though, do you?\
I am VERY fortunate in that my library has had many, many of the books on all the book basket lists. I LOVE my library!! I also find many of the books at my local used bookstore. Have you tried paperbackswap.com? Half.com? (not sure if their shipping is any better)
No. My kids are extremely active in their extra-curricular activities, so I count that as their p.e.
Jumper or No?
I do NOT own a denim jumper, but I do own (and wear!) 3 denim skirts LOL
I live in the South - it's all just Coke.
Crockpot?
Absolutely - I LOVE my crockpot. Use it at least a few times a week.

This was fun! good questions!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

ElizabethC

Unread post by ElizabethC » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 pm

I feel like I don't have much to offer since we are just starting out, but I thought it would be cool to do a "before" list and then later and "after" one! :)

Do you have your children recite The Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not (if you don't mind sharing)?
Since our DD has gone to school for the past 7 years, I am sure she knows the pledge so I don't feel like we have to say it. She's 13 too so it seems a tad bit redundant. Not that we don't support America and what the flag stands for because we do!

We plan on having it in the morning and finish up by 1pm. She is going to be pretty active with band outside of schooling so that will take time. We are currently getting involved in a support group/co-op and aren't sure what is planned or what they have as of yet to know how our schedule will go. What we'd like to do is having school from 930-130 and longer if need be.

Nope, she's a little old I think for centers.

I am currently making our closet in our den her "school" space. It's large enough where she can have the necessities that are needed and some fun stuff as well to decorate!

You bet! We pray together all the time! We do a family devotional at night too, as well as a girlie bible study {Sunday's} together. We both love this one we are doing it is really speaking to where DD is in her life right now.

Yes over the years there have been one's that have been memorized. We also have them up on our bathroom mirrors. We have 2 each in both bathrooms. Again, they are speaking to where DD is right now.

Since she is older we can pretty much talk it out. We really try to involve her in every decision so she knows that there are consequences to her actions. Depending upon what that is, we will allow her to decide her own consequences.

That is why we decide to do it in the den, but mostly the closet space is fairly large. We are taking off the doors and keeping it open as well. She is helping in deciding about decorating!

Since its our very first time homeschooling I am sure we'll follow it pretty much to a tee for awhile to get our feet wet. Although I am pretty flexible too, so its a good mix, I think!

Can anyone say books??
DD has been an avid reader for a really long time. We have a ton of books, but we also use the library a lot as well as Hastings because we can trade them in or sell them back.

She is going to start going to the gym with me.

Denim Jumper?
Never. Ever.

Crockpot?
The crockpot is my BF! I LOVE my crock. I am also trying to find vegan meals that I can cook in there! :)

Soda or Pop?
We've always called it soda, although where we live everyone calls it pop. We don't drink it very often though but still will always call it soda.

Elizabeth

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Yes, we do, including the pledge to the Christian Flag and the Bible? Why? Because I was raised in an A.C.E. school, and that's just how it's done. ;)

We try for morning, but we pretty much have school when we can. Next year is really going to be interesting with park day and co-op both happening in the morning.

Nope. I have an only dd. She's pretty much the center of the universe.

All the above. But mostly at a table in the school room.

We always open in prayer with a memorized school prayer (how legalistic of us!), then dd prays for whatever is on her heart.

yes

When your child is uncooperative, what do you do?
It's usually because she needs some protein. We have a break, quick snack, apoligize, and get back to it.

Well, I could say yes, but I'm not really creative or pretty, either. It's just a big room, so we have a wall calendar and some posters and stuff besides the maps. And a white board, of course!

Pretty much do it all. We use all of MFW's recommendations. I add a few fun things now and then IF we have time.

Can anyone say books??
We had a fantastic library system in our old state. Still getting used to this one . . . DH just gave me permission and a budget to buy some books (and donate some books) every month. "I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, Jesus loves Mommy!" (pre-school song)

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No.

Jumper or No?
Definitely No. But I'm sure my dd would love to wear one.

Soda, but I'm not sure why. I think pretty much everyone else in my family says "pop."

Crock-pot?
I used to load the crock-pot every Thursday before co-op in WA, and by the time we got home from music lessons, dinner was done. So nice. I'm still trying to find my rhythm in AZ, and who wants a hot pot hooked up all day when it's 105 degrees outside? We grill. A lot.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

schoolmom2

Unread post by schoolmom2 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:58 pm

blazingacres wrote:I'm just curious about how some of you have school in your home, and thought it would be interesting to share.
My husband is better about remembering this, so it usually only gets done the days he is home.
Both; I save either history or science for after lunch.
Nothing except art. I always have a picnic utensil caddy with pens, crayons, pencils, scissors, and glue sticks in the middle of the table, and different papers are in an organizer to the side. Coloring and activity books are in magazine files next to the paper on the sideboard.
All over the house! I read a great book by Focus on the Family called "The Way They Learn" which encourages you to let your child explore where they learn best. As long as they are getting the work done, anywhere they want to study/do work is fine.
All the time! We always start with prayer and Bible time. We also pray if we're having attitude problems.
Yes and no. We do AWANA, so they are memorizing a lot anyway, and most of the MFW verses are review for them, which is fine.
Depends on why they are behaving that way; usually they just need a break. Sometimes we have a talk on my bed, and I let them talk about why they are feeling this way, and what solution they see would help. With my oldest, he sometimes just needs a time out on his bed, but I have gone as far as taking away privileges when he is just being stubborn.
Yes. We use the time line/charts with the curriculum, but since our hub is the dining room, I try not to let it get out of hand! I am hoping for a chalkboard for next year, and shelves to display our ECC projects.
I go with the curriculum. They really make it flow nicely, and kids need time to be kids!
Used curriculum sales, sharing with friends, a little from Amazon and Halfpricebooks.com, used bookstores in town...
I also supplement with online resources when appropriate (learning games, science sites, and online books/stories like on the Gutenberg Project, Library of Congress, etc.)

No, our boys do swimming once a week and play outside whenever it's not raining (and sometimes even when it is!)
Let's see.........can't think of anything else right now, but I'll answer the questions! I have to admit, that since we just started, I wonder what I'm forgetting to do.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:51 am

BlazingAcres, what a fun idea for a thread!
And Elizabeth, I like the idea of a new homeschooler saving the responses to compare later.

We did in 3rd grade. I had a "morning meeting" to draw him away from play, and I kept a large index card with something different to do each morning. Then we did the pledge one year in co-op and another when it came up in MFW history.

We have school hours that mimic one local public school that my ds chooses each year. Well, they aren't identical, but similar. This past year (8th grade), we started at 8:30 and ended at 2:30. In the earlier grades, I think we did 9:30 to 3:30. When we were done with "schoolwork" before ending time, then we'd do fun stuff but it had to be educational or service-oriented or imaginative (no video games etc.).

Not unless you count the hammock and the YMCA and the shelf of games???

All over, but primarily I'm on the couch and my son is on the floor (yes, he's 14). Usually the table is for English, the computer is for any writing, and his bedroom is for math problems. He used to have a schooldesk when he was smaller than me :~

Every morning. I love the MFW prayer focuses (foci ?!), as it was harder on my own with my older dd. We have sometimes expanded on the focus or worked through various stages as my son changed over the years. What a blessing homeschooling has been.

We always did for the first few years of MFW, but when our life became more chaotic, we settled for praying the verses, copying the verses, reading the verses, and sometimes I found materials where we could listen to the verses. Hopefully they still went into my ds.

I could write a book if you take the last 8 years and two very different children. But mostly I allow a certain amount of time and then take the task away and simply state we've spent enough time so we will save the rest to do after school hours... Only needed a couple times a year.

Decorate? Well, do you count posters and maps stuck on the wall, and books overflowing the shelves?

When I am energetic, we dig into what we are interested in, and the manual helps keep the new ideas flowing and prevents us from stalling forever. When we are tired, I have the trusty manual to just follow along.

Can anyone say books??
Books in every room, in every corner. Ds has always claimed we don't need to go to the library because they don't have as many books as we do...

Usually do this through an outside source, such as a co-op class or YMCA homeschool class. Occasionally I made a list of PE tasks to intersperse throughout the day. With one child at a time, most curriculums don't work.

Denim Jumper?
That'd be more towards my church clothes. My home clothes are more towards the pj dept. Am I the only one?

Crockpot?
Dear, DEAR husband does the cooking, praise God for saving us.

Soda or Pop?
I like "soda" and prefer to use it, but usually revert to "pop" since I live in Minnesota. I drink a LOT of soda %|

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Pylegang

Unread post by Pylegang » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:39 am

I wish we had a flag in our schoolroom, but we don't. Maybe I'll add one this summer! We do, however, say The Pledge of Allegiance and The Pledge to the Bible each week at Classical Conversations. We usually school in the mornings and afternoons from about 9-ish until 3-ish with a couple of breaks. Our schoolroom has a table where we all sit. The room has a few bookshelves and a fireplace and couch--perfect for cozying up with good book. I also have an electronic globe, a whiteboard, and a shelving area for art supplies, paper, and manipulatives. I am not one who wants our school area to look like a public school classroom. Most of the things we use for our learning time are pulled out for use and then put away. I do, however have one 5 ft. wall area reserved for displaying art work or other papers the kids have worked hard on. We begin each morning with prayer and Bible study. Each year we memorize a scripture.

I have been a bit of a curriculum hopper in the past and have spent periods of time discontent with the things I've picked out for our year. It seems that I've done a ton of soul searching, praying, goal setting. MFW seems to be the best fit for our family. I've used it by the book and I've tried substituting things--picking and choosing as I see fit. Following the plans seems to work bet for me. I'm in a place where I need to stay focused on the "main things". MFW helps me to do that!

I absolutely love the MFW book basket idea. I purchase the MFW deluxe package and then get book basket books from the library. Sometimes I don't find the exact title that is recommended, but I usually don't have much trouble finding a related book in the library.

Thanks for posting these fun questions. Great thread!
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Like, do you have your children recite The Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not (if you don't mind sharing)? \
No, She knows it and i just forget.

We try to do morning but sometimes spill over happens

I can't think like that less be organized like that :-)

Where every dd wants to do school! Sometimes even outside

Sometimes but like the pledge I forget. We usually do our prayer time at bedtime

Yes

Yell scream and have a fit. Oh wait your talking about the child :-) Usually we take a break and then come back to it!

how do you do that?

We do most of it but if I don't have something for art or activity it sometimes just doesn't get done

I don't worry about it we just get what books we can

NO again not in the manual not that organized doesn't happen!

Jumper
I don't know what that is

Crockpot!
DD doesn't eat food mixed together so if we do crockpot it is for my wife and myself
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:34 pm

This is so fun!

Mike, in case you were really wondering, a denim jumper is a mostly shapeless dress that homeschooling moms are supposedly famous for wearing with their white cloth tennis shoes. :-)

eta: although I don't have a denim jumper, I have been known to wear what my mom calls a muu-muu ;) I'm with Julie on the pj's, though. It's so convenient - "hey, I'm ready for school!"
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

wisdomschool

Unread post by wisdomschool » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:40 pm

NOT CURRENTLY, BUT WE HAVE. WE DO HAVE FLAGS--THEY ARE NOT VERY LARGE. MY OLDEST SON LOVES THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE AND THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER--HE LOVED ADVENTURES!!!!

BOTH, WHATEVER THEY CAN DO ON THEIR OWN AND/OR I CAN GET THEM STARTED ON IN THE MORNING THEY DO--STUFF THAT NEEDS MY UNDIVIDED ATTENTION WAITS UNTIL AFTERNOON NAPTIME(WHEN BOTH MY ALMOST 4 Y.O. & 1 Y.O. BOYS NAP!)

NO. NOT ENOUGH SPACE:) BUT WE HAVE "ACTIVITIY DRAWERS" IN THE LIVING ROOM WITH SOFT BOWLING BALLS/PINS, WOODEN BLOCKS, PUZZLES, MFW PRESCHOOL TOYS ETC....AND BOARD BOOKS/BABY TOYS ON THE LOW SHELVES OF THE BOOK SHELVES FOR THE LITTLE BOYS TO ACCESSS AT THEIR WILL...AND COLORING BOOKS/PLAYDOUGH IN BIG PLASTIC CONTAINERS IN THE KITCHEN THAT CAN BE REQUESTED(AND USED AT THE KITCHEN TABLE WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE)

AT THE KITCHEN TABLE AND ON THE COUCH MOSTLY.

SOME, BUT I WOULD LIKE IT TO BE MORE!

SOME. SOMETIMES WE HAVE CHURCH OR FAMILY(DADDY HAS CHOSEN FOR US SOMETHING HEWANTS US TO MEMORIZE)VERSES TO WORK ON SO WE DO THAT INSTEAD......

POINT IT OUT AS A "BEHAVIOR ISSUE", REMIND WHAT TYPE OF BEHAVIOR/ATTITUDE IS ACCEPTABLE IN OUR HOME/SCHOOL, ENCOURAGE, TALK ABOUT WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS REGARDING BEHAVIOR/ATTITUDES ETC... IF THEY STILL CHOOSE TO BE UNCOOPERATIVE THEY GET TIME ON THEIR BED UNTIL THEY ARE READY TO TRY AGAIN THE CORRECT WAY(I STAY VERY AWARE OF 'NEEDS" AS OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED, SUCH AS TIRED, HUNGRY ETC.....NEEDS ARE MET, BREAKS ARE GIVEN, CHANGE OF ACTIVITY ETC......)

WE DON'T HAVE A "SCHOOL AREA" THAT ISN'T ALSO A "LIVING AREA" SO OFFICALLY "DECORATE", NO. BUT WE HAVE TWO LARGE BOOKSHELVES IN OUR VERY SMALL LIVING ROOM WITH SCHOOL BOOKS ETC....MAPS ON THE WALL(NOT CURRENTLY, BUT HAVE HAD AND WILL HAVE AGAIN SOON) OUR TIME LINE IS IN THE KITCHEN.....

TRY TO DO IT ALL(BECAUSE WE LIKE IT--IT'S GREAT STUFF), BUT WE DO NOT GET HUNG UP ABOUT MOVING ALONG(AND "NOT" GETTING SOMETHING DONE) WHEN NEEDED!

I MOSTLY BUY FROM AMAZON ONLY WHEN I CAN GET FREE SHIPPING. WE LOVE THE LIBRARY!

NO. BUT WE DO HAVE BIKES,A SWING SET, BATS, BALLS ETC...AND CLASSES(AT DIFFERENT TIMES THROUGHOUT THE YEAR)BALLET, GYMNASTICS,SWIMMING LESSONS, BASEBALL/SOCCER.

Jumper or No?
NO.

SODA. BUT TRY NOT TO DRINK IT:) HOWEVER MY HUSBAND SURE DOES!

Crock Pot?
LOVE IT! WOULD LIKE TO USE IT MORE!

I wish I was better at organizing meals. Hmm... What do you do?
I WISH I WAS BETTER TOO--WOULD LOVE SUGGESTIONS!
Momma & Teacher to my super seven:

Kanen-6th
Abia-4th
Charis-3rd
Tobias-1st
Elijah-3 y.o.
Micah-2 y.o.
Eden-3 mo.

705emily

Unread post by 705emily » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:02 am

Do you recite the Pledge? We used to do it every day--now we don't. They do it at AWANA.

Do you school morning--afternoon--or both? MWF we school about 9 am - 1 pm. Tues and Thurs--I work, so I lay out their work for them and they do any independent work. (Dad helps them.) Then in the evening--I go over their work and teach any lessons we need to cover.

Do you have centers for your children? No

Do you work in a room, at a table, on a couch? All of the above! :) . We use our attic for a school room and it has a table, desks, bean bag chairs, my computer desk, and an extra bed that we use as a couch for read-alouds.

Do you pray with your children at school! Yes! We pray at Bible time, we prayed after we would read our missionary read-alouds-in ECC, and we try to remember to stop and pray when things aren't going well in school or elsewhere! ;)

Do your children learn the memory verses? Yes!

If you have an uncooperative child--what do you do? Uncooperative kids?? Nah--not here! :-) Umm -- it depends on what the issue is. Sometimes my ds will fuss over too much writing. If he has made a good effort--then I encourage him by reducing the load. If my dd is having a bad day with math--we'll work through her assignment together, or put it away until later. If it's just a bad attitude--we deal with that. For the most part--my kids understand "School is not always fun but it must be done!"

Do you decorate your school area? Yes! Since we are blessed with a dedicated school space (our attic) that has LOTS of angled ceiling walls--I do decorate it before the year starts and try to go with maps/posters/themes from our year of study. I also display their art work in our school and they enjoy that.

Do you pick and choose through the curriculum or do you do it all? I do most all of what MFW recommends. I do a different math, and add some things to what they offer. That's what I love about MFW. It has a lot of depth--but still gives you the freedom to make choices that will work for your family.

Do you have an actual PE program you follow? No. My kids take weekly swimming lessons. I take a deep water aerobics class 2 times a week, and they come along and just have fun playing in the water while I take the class. They love that. Then we bike ride, and hike, and they play the team games at AWANA.

Denim Jumper? None here!!

Crockpot? Sometimes.

Soda or Pop. Soft drinks? --sometimes soda pop. Coffee anyone?? :)

Blessings!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

mamanamadee

Unread post by mamanamadee » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:11 am

Let's see . . .

No flag, no pledge
Our older dd learned it in ps, and younger dd and ds will learn it when we make it around to US history in a few years.
I have no plans to recite it daily.

We start school in the morning and try to get Bible and core subjects done before lunch.
After lunch is fun stuff like art, music, baking, etc.

No centers, just lots of educational toys and books

We do school all over our tiny little house--kitchen table, desk in girls' room, desk in living room, on the couch, occasionally in basement or outside.

We did really well praying during school with ECC but not so much this past year with 1st and a hodge-podge of "other" stuff for oldest dd.

Memory verses--Yes, I love this part of MFW!--although I did not have dd memorize the references in 1st.

Uncooperative child? . . . Send them to the principal? . . .Seriously, I haven't figured that one out yet.
My most uncooperative one is 3yo. I just keep hoping he'll grow out of it! %|

We don't exactly have a school area to decorate. I have maps up in the living room and the girls have their ECC art projects decorating thier room. And the 1st timeline is on the kitchen wall.

K, 1st, and ECC we did most of. This past year I needed to address some specific issues with my girls and chose other non-MFW things for oldest dd. I have no regrets about it, as the materials met our needs, but I am SOOOOO glad to be back with MFW next year for both girls. We will do CTG as recommended with very few exceptions.

My book system is this: Check all titles from book basket at local libraries. Of those not available, make a list of the ones that I really want. Wait for our local used curriculum sale. Any left on the list after the sale I order from Amazon or Rainbow Resource--whichever is cheaper. If I can't find something at those two places or CBD, then I figure I don't really need it.

P.E. is constantly on my list of, "Areas to improve in next year." &) That's all I can say about that.

I actually wore denim jumpers BEFORE we started homeschooling. Not anymore. Could there be some kind of hidden meaning there??

I do like to cook with my crock pot. I need to become friends with it again.

Definitely "soda." (Growing up it was actually "sodie" or "sodie pop," but I'm pretty sure that was just a weird family thing. :~ )

~Naomi
2010-2011 preparing for MFW CTG in the fall
2009-2010 MFW 1st and pre-K/toddler toys
2008-2009 MFW ECC, K, and pre-K/toddler toys
dd12, dd7, ds3