Schedule - Ideas for daily routines, mornings

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
doubleportion

Re: Just curious about some things...

Unread post by doubleportion » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:48 am

OKay I will jump in here.

Do you have your children recite The Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not (if you don't mind sharing)?
Yes & No.
We used to say the pledge to the Flag, Christian Flag & Bible when we did ADV. When we started ECC I had an infant and preschooler and our beginning school time changed to independent work for dd while ds and baby got my attention. We do still have them posted on our school room wall along with the Christian Flag and the American Flag. I know my dd knows them and my ds will learn them this fall when we start formalized work with him.

Do you school morning or afternoon.....or both?
Both-
We usually try and get started by 9AM at the latest. We usually spill over into after lunch due to more interruptions from younger ones. I do my individualized work with my dd when her brothers are taking their naps. So morning normally includes mostly Memory Verse, ILL, Math, Math Drill, and other independant work. She does Book basket, art & music with her brother. Then when nap times occur we do Bible, Science, History, etc. We are usually done by 3PM by the latest but many days dd is done way earlier than that.

Do you have centers for your younger children? What kinds?
Maybe?
I have an area set up for my preschooler for his school things. So maybe you could call it centers if you wanted to. He has a shelf with his own reading books, his own table and chair, and then two sets of drawers with his puzzles, school supplies, and items from MFW preschool and toddler packages. I will start more formalized time with him this fall after he turns 4. For now he comes in and does book basket with his sister and pulls out things he wants to work with while we are working in the school room. He did join in on lots and lots of things in ECC. Since we started CTG, he has really only participated in the Sabbath, art & music with us and an occasional coloring page.

Do you work in a room, at a table, on the couch, etc....
School room mostly-
We are blessed to have a fourth bedroom which is our school room. We work 90% in there. But dd will go into her room for math sometimes and book basket (when her brothers are being noisy and she needs to concentrate harder). She will do music in her room with her stereo and her brothers usually join her dancing around and listening.

Do you pray with your children at school?
We pray most often when we are doing Bible. But it was easier to remember to include that in our school time when we did ECC. CTG has been a bit different.

We pray all through out the day as a family and then during each of our own quiet times. We encourage our daughter to have her own quiet time with prayer and a devotional and Bible. Could do better reading with our younger ones. But we are constantly praying with them for little needs through the day and then when we put them to bed for naps and night time. This summer we are hoping to start using Our 24 Family Ways as a family. We desire to make prayer more a way of life than just a part of school (KWIM?)

Do your children memorize the memory verses?
ALWAYS!
We use the memory verse as suggested in the TM for handwriting as well as memorization. We also use Sing The Words CDs to help with memorization. Wow! Do they help!

When you have an uncooperative child, what do you do?
Depends on the source of the problem. If they are tired- then they need to take a break on their beds. If they are frustrated- then we take a break from the subject and come back to it the next day. Or is it a will issue- then we discipline and pick up where we left off with a better attitude. It is rare for my dd to be uncooperative anymore. But for my preschooler it is usually rooted in fatigue or feeling badly (due to his multiple food and environmental allergies). Often for him it means it is time for his shot, or we need to NOT let him eat a particular food for a rotation period.

Do you decorate your school area?
Yes!
We have a school room, so it looks likes a school room. Mostly pledges, flags, memory verse, timeline, maps, ten commandments, missionary pictures, handwriting poster, 10 step study list for spelling power, jewish calendar and any art work that doesn't go into notebooks and we want to put up. For ECC our room was covered!

Do you pick & choose through the curriculum and activities, or do you try to do it all?
Try to do it all.
But I don't stress if it doesn't get done. We often wait for a science experiment or skip a craft if it is not a good fit for our family or have the materials on hand. I will circle it in my grid and leave to it possibly go back to later.

Can anyone say books??
We LOVE Books!
I buy used books at our library book sales and store, and at our local homeschool used book sale. I buy most of my new books through Rainbow Resource, Amazon or CBD. Amazon has free shipping with $25 purchase and often runs 4 for 3 sales that I try and take advantage of. I also dig through my local Books A Million and find great sales and get an extra discount with our educator discount card.

Do you have an actual PE program you follow?
NO
DD does ballet every week and ds avoids being outside so he can continue to feel good. We hope to be a part of our support group's cooperative day in the new school year. They usually offer a PE class as one of the choices for each grade. We have done that in the past when dd was younger.

Denim Jumper?
Nope
But shoes are not required at our house and barefoot is a way of life!

Crockpot?
I use it less often than I used to since our ds was diagnosed with multiple food allergies. I usually have to modify what I am making for him based on what the rest of us have. And the crockpot doesn't give me that option. But I still use it a couple of times a month.

Soda or Pop?
Soda but in my home town it was more often called Coke.

Enjoyed this thread. Nice to get a little window into how others do things or say things ;)

:-)
Edie

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 am

doubleportion wrote:Soda or Pop?
Soda but in my home town it was more often called Coke.
This topic always reminds me of the time I was in NYC with a group of Girl Scout trainers from different states.

At the restaurant, a gal (from North Carolina I believe) asked what kind of "drinks" they had.
The NY waitress said sternly, "We don't serve drinks here."
The Southern gal said, "Well, of course you serve drinks!"
They were both really mad at one another, arguing back & forth! Several of us chimed in with the words we used in our home states, hoping that the New York waitress might understand one of them (pop! soda! cokes! beverage!) :)

Julie
Last edited by Julie in MN on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

sixtimemom

Unread post by sixtimemom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:52 am

I feel like I've been home schooling for a bazillion years...it's refreshing reading these answers. Figure I'll throw mine into the mix.

Do you have your children recite The Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not (if you don't mind sharing)?
I think at some point we did but not for long....mainly when they were young. We are a very patriotic family but I don't see the reason to have to recite it every day once they understand and have it memorized.

We start off in the morning. The kids are up between 8 and 10. The younger ones have independent work they do early and then we get together for ECC around 10 and go till lunch time. After lunch I do math, grammar and reading with the younger ones. I help the older two as they need it. Everyone is usually finished between 2 and 4 pm.

No although I did try the workbox method this year for my two youngest but it didn't really work since mom didn't keep up with it.

We are in the living room...the three youngest all have their special place. The 10th grader likes the kitchen table. My senior likes his room.

Mainly with the youngest three. We always start our school with prayer. The older two don't school with us so they don't join us. Although I am thinking of changing that so they will be included to...This is our first year being separated so much and I miss having them all together for prayer.

Yes...some quicker than the others. We review at least twice a week and it helps the younger ones who don't have them totally memorized.

Check to see if they are tired, or hungry first. Give them a choice to continue with us or they can go to their room until they are ready. [but I continue on and if they miss something they are responsible for making it up and they will not get any "free time" until they do] if it's been a particularly stressful time then dad will be involved when he gets home. I've been consistent with what I expect from them and I think that helps because there is less and less of an issue as they've gotten older.

No...just lots of book shelves.

Do you pick & choose through the curriculum and activities, or do you try to do it all?
We did ECC this year and did all the bible, geography, music, science and read alouds. Art was done sporadically...mainly cause I couldn't get the supplies [financial reasons]

Can anyone say books??
Book lover here....I love garage sales....and half price books...and thrift stores. If I order from Amazon I weigh in the cost of shipping and if it's still a good deal I'll do it.

No. But I have a friend who for the last four years has organized a P.E. day once a week through the school year. I also like that the kids can get with their friends and have fun too.

Denim Jumper?
When I started schooling 16 years ago I did have one. However, things have changed [for the better] and now it's very rare to see them.

Crockpot?
A sanity saver. Especially on days I will be going out and about. Love putting it all in the crockpot that morning and it's ready when we get home. I also like it through the summer as it doesn't get the house as hot as the over.

Soda or Pop?
Soda or Coke...we live in Texas. My mom still calls it pop as she is from Ohio...

Debbie
Debbie
Mom to 6
Grandma to 1
Homeschooler for 17 years and this is my 2nd year to use MFW
ECC and AHL 2009/2010
1850 -Exploration, AHL & WHL 2010-2011

Mommyto3boys

Unread post by Mommyto3boys » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:14 pm

Like, do you have your children recite The Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not (if you don't mind sharing)?
  • We did for Adventures. The boys do with Scouts.
  • Both- afternoon has always been for science, especially messy projects that are better with a younger sibling taking a nap. Now my oldest is finishing up his work.
  • Not really. With the younger one, I have had some different boxes with different activities to choose from for a time (each day had a different set). I also have about 30 minute educational computer games for the younger ones. Our history time will often have a coloring page (use color pencils or markers or water colors to paint) or a project that the little one can join in or I get out the playdoh.
  • All over. Bible and read alouds are in the living room. I do one on one schooling in a room that is my homeschooling room with a whole wall of bookcases. History and art are at the dining room table (I do this time at snack time). Science projects are done at the table too. My oldest does some of his work in his room and the others work at a table or floor. The older two read books in their beds, my bed, or on a couch.
  • We did every day with ECC. I haven't been praying with them during school, but we do often have an evening devotional time and prayer.
  • Yes, both from MFW and from their discipleship classes at church.
If you have an uncooperative child, what do you do?
  • It depends on the situation and the child.
  • Not really. I do have a wall timeline and map up. We did have the poster with the Bible verses for Adventures up and the ten commandments up.
  • We try to do it all. Some of the drawing in art is eliminated because my boys don't want to do it. If we have a busy week, some things may be skipped. We do add in extra science for Science Fair topics and experiments. We do some extra history projects.
Can anyone say books?? LOL! Between buying what I can find & keeping my librarian hopping, we are covered up in books! I have a hard time finding so many of them though, do you? Does anyone know a great online place for inexpensive used books? I looked at amazon, but the $3.99 shipping per book, kills it for me.
  • I get a lot of books from the library. If my library doesn't have a specific title from MFW's list, there are a lot of other good books on that particular topic. Library book sales has plenty of books. Also, I do buy from Amazon with the 4 for 3 book deals and I make sure I am getting enough for free shipping. Sometimes I can find books at our homeschool conference or our homeschool group's used curriculum fair.
  • No. Some of my boys have been playing soccer in the fall and spring. We have unstructured PE. I did buy the book and dvd for homeschool pe but I never manage to fit it in.
I do use a crockpot for meals at times, especially when we are at park day in the afternoons or we had something else in the afternoon.

I say soda or coke.

No denim jumper. I only wear a dress or skirt for church. Otherwise I like being casual and wearing shorts or jeans.

Debbie in NC
Mom to 3 ds (11, 8, and 6) and 1 dd (3)
Done MFW Adventures, ECC and K, and CTG
Almost finished RTR and K

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:35 pm

This is a fun thread.

Beginning last school year. Yes, every day for a few months until dd knew it by heart. (DS already knew it from ps). Then it became pretty repetitious. I try to do it periodically but my dc do say it in Rainbows and Royal Rangers every week. Hit & Miss. :)

We usually start around 9:00. We usually get the core subjects out of the way by lunch. Then I start with the read alouds after lunch and finish with history, science, craft, etc. Usually done by 1:00 or 2:00. But depends on how much time we want to spend on the 'fun' subjects which is why I leave them for last and if we got started on time.

Not really. I have a box of activities I pull from when I want to give my dd an extra activity to do if she has to wait on me to finish working with my ds, which is frequently. He needs a lot of hand holding. I occasionally will pull something out for ds if he is waiting on her, which is not near as frequent. This box includes things like puzzles, geoboards, wrap ups, etc.

As someone else mentioned, We are fortunate also to have a 4th bedroom to use. It pretty much looks like a school room. We seem to stay more focused in there with the core subjects. The afternoon subjects are usually completed at the kitchen table or couch downstairs.

Absolutely. It's how we start our day. I ask for prayer requests at that time. We also pray together for different needs as they arise. And, at night, when my dh does his own Bible time with the dc, he has them pray on their own as well. They love that time the most, I think. Then we each pray individually over each child before they go to sleep.

Yes. My dd surprised me last year at age 5 and would memorize her Rainbows verse (Which was only a condensed Bible verse) in addition to the ADV verses. (I was not requiring her to memorize the ADV verses but she wanted to.)

Usually the child gets a time out in their room until they are ready to join us with a good attitude. It usually doesn't take much time as they both hate to feel like they are missing out on something. ;)

Yes. The door to our classroom is for fun crafts that can be hung. The main wall is for maps, A,B,C cards from K, number lines, time lines, white board, etc. One wall is mostly all window. The opposite wall is mostly a closet door, which we decorate with big stuff. I plan to put our John 3:16 poster there, for instance. The back wall is mostly covered in bookshelves, etc.

We try to do it all and more as time allows. But I don't stress too much if it doesn't all get done and I try to come back to it at a later date if possible. (I still haven't done the *extra* craft of making stepping stones for the K rock unit and Jesus is our Rock for ADV. This summer would be a good time for that.)

Can anyone say books??
I wait and order at least $25 in books through Amazon to get the free shipping but that's for new books. I also recently found out about used books through paperbackswap.com (Thank you SilverSwanMama). You post books you have that you want to get rid of. You pay the shipping to mail them to other members when they request them. You get a point when the book is received by the other member. Then you can spend that point on any book that is available. For me, I like this method much better than dragging my dc to used book stores and browsing in hopes of finding what I'm looking for. I pay an average of $2.50 per book. You also get 2 free points when you post your first 10 books to get you started. Of course, you have to be willing to relinquish some of your own books to make this work but I think most, if not all of us have plenty of books we could stand to part with. ;) BTW, I always ask the member sending the book what condition it's in so I can determine if I am willing to accept the condition or not. Although, the PBS conditions are pretty good to begin with. There is more info I could give on this but I’ve probably given TMI now so I’ll just stop. (Can you tell I’ve really been enjoying this site?)

Not at home. DS does Tae Kwon Do and DD does gymnastics. And we have a trampoline which has to be one of the best investments we have ever made. They play on it almost every day.

Denim Jumper?
No jumpers here, ever! :~ NOT EVER! But we do get ready for the day before starting school so no pj's either. I tell my dc you never know what the day might hold and I, um, take about an hour to get ready. (I know, vanity, vanity). I have a friend who's family does, though. We did have a pj day on our 100th day of school last year and the dc loved it.

Crockpot?
Dinner, are we suppose to plan ahead for that?? 8O ;) After getting ready for the day, who has time to plan that far in advance. :~ Maybe I should reprioritize. I do have a wonderful dh who doesn't mind cooking about half the time.

Soda or Pop?
Soda. When I was a kid it was Coke. Although I always wondered why most everyone I knew, including myself, would refer to any soda as Coke.

This has been a really fun thread.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

meagabby

Unread post by meagabby » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:22 pm

No, they learned in AWANA

most recently we schooled in the afternoon when the little ones were napping... It will be interesting to start in the morning next year and include a Ker

No, just keep certain things on lower shelves on the bookcase.

In one house, had a room, but the little ones seemed to make more messes because it wasn't an organized room. Now we do most of our reading on the couch and the writing in done at the table or coffee table.

I like to pray for our time together before we begin and prayed alot more the year we studied ECC.

Yes.

Not sure if there is a perfect asnwer for this... still learning. ;)

As much as we can.

We try to do all, but have not done deluxe extras since little ones came along.

Can anyone say books??
We use the library, but would love to own more or make less trips... with 4 that want their own books, but school related, we have to go weekly because of check-out limits

Excited to join a PE co-op next year!!

Denim Jumper?
Nope

Crockpot?
I like it but get tired of the 'stew' type foods.
(and I've used the e-mealz promoted by Dave Ramsey and loved it when I could designate a specific store, not just 'any store'.)

Soda or Pop?
grew up in Texas-- it's all Coke!
Loving learning with MFW!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:40 pm

gratitude wrote:I wish I was better at organizing meals. Hmm... What do you do?
usually we pick a meat, pick a veggie,
or when hubby feels like being the hero, he'll make enchiladas for us.

when my brain shuts down (like right now), this website
http://menus4moms.com/
has helped

Saving Dinner (both books and online subscription). I'm a "saving dinner" drop out.

dave ramsey e-mealz plans. never tried them.

check this thread
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5948

Good nutrition and eating together as family is good stuff in our homeschools. Sometimes it's nice to have someone just say "do this one today" So, hopefully some of those places mentioned will help someone to make some ideas to get into routines that help in your family. I know on some nights we have fixed menus to cook it fast and get out the door. Others, we make it up as we go along.

eating macaroni and cheese in the bathtub? is that what my autistic kid just said? at least it will be easy to clean. LOL

-crystal

JenD

Unread post by JenD » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:16 am

I'm just curious about how some of you have school in your home, and thought it would be interesting to share.

Like, do you have your children recite The Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not (if you don't mind sharing)?
We need to do that more often. My youngest hasn't lived in the US much so he is thrilled when we recite the pledge

Both

YOunges is 9- he plays sensory games when he is finished and older brother is still working.

Mostly at their desks, but read aloud is on the couch.

Yes!

Yes!

If you have an uncooperative child, what do you do?
I ask him to sit by himself for a few minutes and then let him re-join us.

It is decorated with timelines,maps and book of James verses right now :)

We do most of it!

Can anyone say books?? LOL! Between buying what I can find & keeping my librarian hopping, we are covered up in books! I have a hard time finding so many of them though, do you? Does anyone know a great online place for inexpensive used books? I looked at amazon, but the $3.99 shipping per book, kills it for me.
EBAY is a good choice for books and some books on-line can be found at Gutenberg press.

They play Wii fit games and run 2xweek

samiam

Pledge of Allegiance/start of day routine

Unread post by samiam » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:47 pm

MuzzaBunny wrote:DD will be starting MFW K on Sept 1st and I was remembering my first days of school. I remember that a sense or order and "quiet time" was conveyed when we all settled down to say the Pledge and Lord's Prayer. I thought we might try that but I was wondering if anyone else has a routine that marks the beginning (or the end) of the school day. Any thought?
Thanks!
We don't really follow any routine such as a school would. Basically once everyone is done eating their breakfast, we head to the school room. I HAVE a flag, and the a poster of the Pledge of Allegiance, but it's not something we look at everyday. Now we will start Adventures next week and the Pledge of Allegiance is discussed the first week. Perhaps we will recite it every Monday a.m. or something for memory purposes....but for us it would not be a way to bring the class to order, such as it is used for public schools.

As far as the end of the day, for us, it is not the same as a public school where a bell rings at the same time everyday and everyone rushes to get their backpacks off of the hook. We use the workbox system, and your school work is over when you have completed the workboxes. There is no set time.

We do not have a goal to emulate a school classroom situation at all. Many of the routines in a large class is due to crowd control and training. They have to keep the group moving, keep them in order, and the best way to do that is by having a set routine everyday. Not against the routine....I love routine as do my children, but the crowd control part is not needed so much here ;) .

Julie in MN

Re: Pledge of Allegiance/start of day routine

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:34 pm

For the last few years, we like to start with Bible. It's a cozy time & something we like to read, so not a painful start.

But when my son was younger, he was playing in the early morning & had to be pulled "into school." Therefore, I didn't want to say, "Stop playing and come read the Bible!" So we had a morning routine. I had a large index card and would jot things on there that I would like to do, and then I'd choose a 5-day routine. It might be planning our menus on Wednesday and saying the Pledge on Fridays. We did some weather things for a while. It was short but a good transition time at the table.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Pylegang

Unread post by Pylegang » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:14 pm

The longer I homeschool, the more I strive to make learning something that is just natural in our home. We certainly sit down to "do school", but I like for our homeschool to feel like home learning, not "school". We do meet once a week with other homeschoolers, where we recite the Pledge to the Bible and the Pleadge of Allegiance.

We often read during breakfast and then head downstairs to begin our Bible study. After we've spent a little time in the Bible, we pray. We then usually talk about what we need to accomplish for the day.
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

MuzzaBunny

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:12 am

Thank you for all of your thoughts! I do agree that homeschool is not school and doesn't have to feel the same. I want dd to learn the Pledge, but maybe that's something we can work on now and then as opposed to daily. For now, we set up our schoolroom in the downstairs computer room. It's removed from the distraction of dolls, toys and food. :) We're very excited to start!
Bunny

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:29 am

As far as the Pledge. The beginning of last school year we started reciting it daily. Then I realized that my dc also say it at church on Wed. nights. We still occasionally say it when my dc want to. We will probably start our first day of school with it next week. I think as long as they learn it, how often is not important. IMHO
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cbollin

Organizing your school day

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:08 pm

Smoakhouse wrote:I was just wondering how others organized their days.
Do you have designated school hours? Do you use a timed schedule or a routine? Do you do everything in the same order every day or mix things up? Do you do every subject, every day? Do you use a tutorial or enrichment program? If so, how do you handle the other subjects on those days?

I will have a kindergardener in a one full day enrichment program (Tuesday) and a sophomore with one tutorial class on Tuesday and one on Thursday.
In the past we have just worked on a routine starting around 9:00. The older they get the longer the day. We have always skipped at home classes for the full day enrichment program and only do part of our school work on tutorial days. Entering High school has made it more necessary to complete more subjects on days when we have to leave home.

Working on my planning. Thanks for your ideas.
It's varied over the years - especially when my youngest was in special needs preschools 5 days a week. Some days it was down the grid as far as we could, take her to school, back home to finish down the grid -- and we worked hard and furious and fast too. pick up her... lunch.. oh yeah.. some days we had ballet and speech/occupational therapies too. clearly I lived in a smaller town back then.

then, there's this coming year where my work schedule is about to radically change.... I spent the last few days writing out 30 minute segments of my life each day on where to be and who does what. the children will have instruction time in 2 hour stretch in the morning on several days, followed by independent work while I rock a bunch of ladies to the core... (LOL). and then a small stretch in afternoon, and read alouds in evening by dad.

Oldest: she'll get her stuff done when she gets it done. Last year in AHL, she would do a morning stretch of work, then an evening stretch. she'll probably try to recreate that. get it done girlfriend. ballet, archery, church student leader.

Middle: wow... she's moving toward some subjects being a bit more independent (think... audio companion cd's! and dive...) mom time and independent time

youngest. getting 3 special needs therapy days

We will have definite hours for "intense school time". However, it may not be all bunched together. kinda jumbled, but that's just how it goes in life. one thing, stop, next thing, get it done.. just my life.

-crystal

far above rubies

Re: Organizing your school day

Unread post by far above rubies » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Our schedule has changed over the years. When I only homeschooled one child, had another in therapy, and my youngest was just a toddler, I really just went with the flow.

Now that I have three school aged children, one in therapy, and a newborn on the way, we've had to be far more structured. Basically, we must start school by 9:00am. If we don't then it throws off the whole day and affects the whole family. We usually have "Breakfast and Bible" at 8:30 and then by 9:00, we've started our other academics. We used to try to start at 8, but getting that extra 30 minutes of flexibility really made a difference.

And from there we just set aside timed allotments-- 20 minutes here, an hour there for another subject, etc., We don't really get hung up too much on it. But if we didn't have some kind of timed structure, a couple of my children wouldn't be able to complete their work. ;)
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Every year changes some...

My "plan" this year: follow the grid. I have ideas for things the other kids can work on while I'm working with one for Spelling and English. I haven't quite figured out Math and Reading time (my kids still need to read to me, and two of my kids are at the same level in Math - should be interesting).

In the past I've had very structured days with timed periods. Then gone with routines. Probably back to a little more structure this year.

I'm starting school tomorrow. We'll do a week. Then oldest has morning dance camp for a week. That week I'll work with the 3 R's, maybe a little Rosetta Stone, Math Drill, piano, with my boys. Then, dd will need another hour of "school" to get our required 4 hours school. I'll also use that week to evaluate how our first week went and fine tune my plan. Then we'll go back to curriculum.

One thing I try to remember is "change is constant." So, we'll get into a plan that works for 6 weeks or so, and then we have to adjust because someone can suddenly read better, or spell better, or write better, or plateau on a subject and need more time, or... you get the idea. It's always fine to re-evaluate and readjust every few weeks as you find what does and doesn't work.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:23 am

We start by about 9 a.m.
I usually do Bible first. Then it varies some depending on how they are doing. I alternate between sit down work like math & handwriting with hands on activities and science & read-alouds. When their attention seems high I bring them to the table for any writing work. When attention is lower I go for the science or a hands on activity. If they are really wiggly we go outside, and if I really need to get some work done I sometimes will do math orally with my second grader while he plays (very unconventional I know, but for this child it works and he does all of it in his head anyways.) When they need some relaxing time I move to read-alouds. I guess for me I have found it easier to schedule our subject order around their energy levels than force a subject order. I used to have an exact subject order that we followed. The problem was there are really moments that my boys can not do sit down work (I am sure they could with the social pressure of 30 other students, but home is different for us), but I find those same moments can lead to some great creativity in science or a hands on activity. I just check off the grid as we go. We are usually done before 3 p.m. (with many toddler interruptions & breaks), but if we are not I stop at 3.

This schedule of course would not relate at all to your high school students, but I thought I would type it out for an idea of what we are doing with the Kindergarten/1st/2nd age group.

Blessings,

asheslawson

Schedule...

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:12 pm

lea_lpz wrote:I am really hoping to be prepared as possible for my new endeavor. But, would you please kindly give me a sample of your homeschool schedule, including how you incorporate housework, chores, grocery trips, etc., into your schedule so that things flow well for your homeschool day / week. Obviously I realize that disruptions occur and things do not always go as planned but I would love to get an idea about how some of you more experienced homeschooling moms make it work when it comes house work / school time / activities.

My kids will be 3 and 5 when we begin homeschooling. I do not have a lot of family around available to help me out so basically it is me and my hubby. He comes home for lunch (which we all love!) for an hour and is usually home around 530 and leaves for work around 8 am. Thanks! I appreciate any input you can give :-)
Ours can be a bit crazy sometimes & when I had only pre-school kids it was not nearly so structured - when it goes well it's a little like this:

6:30 am - my bible study
7:30 - 8:00 - toddler arrives for daycare
7:30 - 8:15 - wake my 2 kids, make beds, dress (sometimes...I mean there are perks to home school ;), breakfast

8:15 - 8:30'ish - we begin our bible lesson as a family, read-aloud, etc. (I read all of our CTG read aloud material & my 1st grader listens in, but sometimes she's using her potholder weaving loom, or play doh, and has her own reading material later - I'm trying to 'graft' her in gradually since next year she will be joining in on the same level he's on for bible & read alouds - she LOVED the Christian Heroes stories from last year (ECC) & the Patricia St. John books from earlier this year - but has NO interest in Children's Homer - so I just let her do her own thing then)

8:45 - 9:15'ish - after this - we head to the school room. My 5th grader does much of his work independently. I list his subjects on the board for the week. I work with him on math if he needs help and then he tackles English, Spelling, Writing, any notebooking or other activities for history, etc. I work with him on the things that need to be done together (such as spelling tests).

9:30 'ish - I work with my daughter on MFW 1st - reading her story, helping her with her workbook page, listening to her reading from the bible reader, help her with her math lesson. If there is a bible notebook page - I get her started and then she takes off from there. She is usually done with all of this in an hour or so.

10:30 - 11:00 'ish - Preschool activity with the two toddlers I babysit

11:00 'ish - if nothing took too long we work on art & science together

12:00 'ish - lunch

1:00 p.m. (no 'ish here...this is firm!!) - I lay the two toddlers that I babysit down for 2 hours and if we have any un-finished activities from the morning, or if they need extra help, we do this during this time - we do a general tidy up around the house - and they have free time - sometimes we do nature study at this time.

I was really not that good at staying organized at first - but after a while - my organization is improving and that has made a big difference. Wishing you well as you begin this journey!

Edited to take out un-necessary stuff - sometimes I answer more than was asked - hate it when I do that!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

kw4blessings

Re: Schedule...

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:51 pm

This is our first year of homeschooling and my children are the same ages as yours will be, plus I have a 1 yo. It has taken me a while to find a schedule that works for us, and believe me, we don't follow it everyday. But, the days when we do operate this way seem to turn out better than when we don't.

I won't give hours of the day, because it varies for us. Although one thing I am learning is that getting up early is SO beneficial. I have just started waking up btwn 5:30 and 6am and I am able to have my quiet time, exercise, drink coffee, before the kids wake up. This has proved to be a tremendous blessing. Now, granted, I am in a stage of life where that is working well for me, but if we have another baby and I'm having morning sickness, then have a newborn... it won't happen! The Lord is teaching me to embrace each stage of life and make it work for us. I totally understand that every family has different situations and circumstances at different times.

When the kids get up, we have breakfast and then do our Bible study. I then unload the dishes, load dirty ones, start a load of laundry, wipe down the bathroom, make beds, sweep/vacuum. The kids help with these tasks, even though we're at the point where they want to be so helpful, but end up making it more difficult :) Patience.... I'm learning.....slowly. It's so much easier to do school when the house is tidy and the big cleaning/maintenance stuff is done or underway.

Then I either put the baby (he's 21 mo, so not so much a baby) in his crib with a few toys, or let him play with trains with ds3 while I do math with dd5. After that, we do phonics while ds3 does a preschool workbook page. (He LOVES doing school and must be involved somehow). We are really only focusing on reading and math right now for K (wish I had found MFW last year! We'll start MFW1 this summer). Then we spend the rest of the morning playing math games together and reading aloud. We do a LOT of reading aloud and my kids adore it (me too!!). I think the reading aloud has been one of the sole reasons that dd is reading as well as she is at 5. LOVE the Little House series.

We'll eat lunch around noon and clean up together. Then we play outside or in until 1:30 (I'm pretty firm about this time like pp said as well). At 1:30, everyone goes in their beds...ds1 to nap, ds3 to nap every other day or so/be quiet other days, dd5 for quiet time. Can I tell you, this quiet time has been KEY for us. We've been doing it only 2 months or so, but it is so great for everyone. I used to hit 4pm and that hour when all the kids are grumpy and I'm grumpy and need to start dinner, and call my dh and say, "I'm not sure if I'll be here when you get home, but the kids will!!" LOL. Those days are rare now, b/c the quiet time is restful, physically and mentally for all of us. My 2 oldest have something quiet to do in their beds. I sit down with a cup of coffee and my journal for a bit and reflect on the morning, pray a bit, read if I want to. (I discovered some piano music on Pandora that I love and it's so relaxing to have on in the background) Then I get online, prepare dinner, do a project, different everyday. At 3pm, the kids can get up and we don't really have a "schedule" after that. DH works as a contractor, so hours are unpredictable. We try to wait dinner on him, but can't always.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Again, every day is different, but having a base schedule to work from helps me accomplish so much more. If you don't do quiet time with yours, I strongly recommend it for their ages. I think I want to continue it through high school!! Blessings to you and your family!

Kelly
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!