Schedule - How do you start your day??

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
samandsawyersmom

Schedule - How do you start your day??

Unread post by samandsawyersmom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:22 pm

How do you start your day??
robertb10502 wrote:I know I am not starting my day off right..... Well when it is scheduled on the grid I get to it.....Bible time!! I know if we started our day in the word it would be so much better. I work better with a guide. I am thinking of looking for a book to go through with my kids at the breakfast table. I know I it would be better if I had my own time with God then went to be with my kids to help teach them but we will get there. If we start together we can work on our own time from there. I have no energy and no motivation and I just know that more time in the word would help it all. So how so you start your day and do you have a devotional that you do with your kids??
Samantha,

I soooo feel you pain!! I to am struggling with this! Last yr I got an age appropriate boys devotional and just did that each day with my kiddos. I started this yr with nothing and just recently got another one! As for me. . . .Well lets just say it is still a work in process!! To be honest I am just really happy that I am giving my dc the chance to know God better than I did in public school!! I have almost always gone to church but never have gotten into the word! Just trying to make each generation better not perfect! KWIM?

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!! LOL! Just keep on the path and keep trying to better yourself and know you are the best you can give your dc!!! Well, and of course GOD!! Which you are doing!!!

Probably did not help but just thought I would ramble on a bit! Well, at least a bit about MY shortcomings! UHG! :~ ;)
Wife to my wonderful husband 8yrs
Mom to 2 wonderful sons 6yrs and 4yrs
2012 pre-school and MFW 1st
2011 K

TriciaMR

Re: How do you start your day??

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Samantha,

How my day works...

5:00 my alarm clock goes off (it's set to KLOVE), and I turn it off as quick as I can so I don't wake dh...
5:20 my husbands alarm goes off. We lay in bed for about 10 minutes chatting about whatever (like how fortunate our dd was that the knitting needle didn't go all the way through her foot and ankle)
5:30 we get up. My husband goes into the basement to work out. I read a devotional that our church publishes, and read a chapter from the OT and a chapter from the NT in the Bible, and journal if there is time.
6:00 to 6:45 - husband gets ready, I walk the dog. I do try to pray while I walk, but I find I'm not good at walking and praying and often get distracted by beautiful sunrises, critters being cute, and just keeping my eyes open for my own safety. Plus the dog likes to smell every.single.thing. So, it takes a bit of work to keep her moving.
6:45 to 7:30 - husband eats his breakfast and does his quiet time then. I get ready.

Next is breakfast and morning chore time.

Then we just start with Bible from whatever year of MFW we're using. I believe that God's word speaks to our hearts. All of it is good for us. We don't need someone else's interpretation or analysis. Just God's word. We read it, discuss it. It's amazing what God will bring our way to apply it to. (Like the whole knitting needle thing... "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." We've been able to discuss how it was a small trial, and how God has not let her foot get infected, etc. Real life is the best application anyway.)

One thing a friend of mine said, especially when you have lots of littles... There will be moments during the day when you have a choice: fold clothes, or sit down and read your Bible. Choose the later. The clothes will still be there, but you will have allowed God's word to work in your heart. Things don't always go better. And sometimes you only get 5 minutes. But it was 5 minutes with the living God. Five minutes that His word will speak to your heart and help you on your way.

My kids are involved in AWANA clubs, and I think that adds some more biblical food to their lives. They go to church and Sunday School. I think God uses every little bit. I also think God's word is most potent when we read and apply it for ourselves. So yeah, you can do a study or devotional with your kids at breakfast if you want. But, I think just having them spend 10 minutes reading God's word for themselves is just as beneficial.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gjamamama

Unread post by gjamamama » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I was in a similar place about a year and half ago. We had just moved a second time in a year and my youngest was about 2 years old. I realized I hadn't had a regular devotional time in a few years and was really missing it (or maybe I was starting to hear God's voice through the fog).

I decided to go gentle. I knew that if I tried to make some big routine with my whole family it would just backfire. So I just started with myself and focused on what I could do regularly. I started with the Daily Bread. I just read the short article and the verses that went with it. Then a few months later at the beginning of the year, I added in reading through the Bible in a year. So my devotionals went from 5 minutes a day to 20 minutes a day. That's where they've been so far this year as I read through the Bible. Now, I am going to a Bible study tonight and adding that in. The point is that I took it slow and tried for some consistency.

As for my kids, I feel that MFW is all they really need outside of church. It is so much more discipleship than many people experienced as kids. Also we start our school time with a prayer. If I'm reading a Psalm during my devotional and they are around and not off playing somewhere I will read that to them. I suggest keeping it simple and trusting that God will meet you where you are at.

Gentry

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:37 pm

I always have a school "start time." It's the only way things get done around here. And since I've always worked part-time and my kids have all been to public school, a "starting time" just makes sense at our house. Even if I get up 1 minute before start time, I throw on some sweats and open the curtains, and we start. I consider getting up at a set time to be a job skill that I'm teaching my kids, as well as just a practical fact of knowing thyself ;)

Up until around 4th grade, my kids were playing when I was ready to start school. (That was very different from just a few years later when my kids were sleeping when I wanted to start school :) ) At the younger ages, I just didn't like the feeling of, "No more fun, it's time for Bible!" So I used a "morning meeting" type routine at that age, which was followed closely by Bible time. I described our morning meeting time a bit here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =50#p64478
There are some other ideas & fun conversation about morning routines on the various pages of that thread.

So basically, it works well for us to start with Bible, or gather with a meeting and then do Bible.

And for the most part, we do MFW Bible together as a family and I consider the study with MFW to be my own Bible time, too. That way, I can invest myself more in the discussion or perhaps I'll get interested in a little follow-up research to a question we had, or I'll look up various translations of the verses we're reading together, etc. I'm very much a word person, so this is a way I spend time with God, I guess. Sometimes I've added other Bible studies on my own and have been blessed, and certainly I spend much time in prayer. But often when I want to do extras, I enjoy doing those with the family, or being able to bring the results of those to my family. We have used Hymns For a Kid's Heart to sing together, or the Jotham's Journey to spend Advent time together, etc.

Now I should mention that over the years various things have caused us not to do Bible first thing in the morning. And ever since my son reached his teens, he has preferred to start his school day with something he can do by himself (Rosetta Stone), rather than jumping into family time and deep Bible study. I don't worry about the timing too much. My child is in the Bible every day of school, and in discussion about other things alongside the Bible (history & science lessons, family Bible discussion, general topics on our values or doing our best...). If Bible itself happens first thing, it's a very nice way to start our day, and if things are getting off-kilter, sometimes we go back to that. But over the years, Bible hasn't always been an early morning thing. But it happens at some point, no matter what. Everything else can go except that. After all, many great Americans were trained on nothing else but that.

Just some more ideas that work at another house,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi Samanatha! Our children are close to the same ages. Mine are 2nd grade, 1st grade, Pre-K, & tot.

You are asking about our normal schedule, so I will share that. At the moment.. well... we just moved and haven't re-started school yet.

The alarm goes off at 5. My DH usually gets up around 5:30 (I usually do too). Then there is coffee and breakfast and prayer time together and the marriage discussion time I need without children. He leaves at 6:20 a.m. After he leaves I shower, read the Bible while I dry my hair (I know this doesn't sound very spiritual, but it really gets my mind going in the direction I want it to go & the blow dryer takes 15 - 20 minutes) and then I check emails, the board, do any work I need to get done on the computer, etc. By this time my children are awake.

Now I have to remember the days before packing up a house last month & moving when structure existed.

Lets see: Children would dress, brush teeth, comb hair, eat breakfast. Then I would start with Bible on the couch or at the table. Then math or LA then an outdoor break (if not raining... maybe even if it is raining for sanity) then LA or math & handwriting. Then lunch & the tot goes for nap. Then the rest MFW has to offer: science, hands on activities, history, read-aloud, etc.

Then once the tot wakes up more outdoor time, or errands, or a field trip. I am sure this will change some as they get involved in activities outside Awana, but for now that is what we have done & it miraculously did work. Some days it wouldn't work to finish MFW activities, some days we would get a ton done, some days we had to take all day off from school; but the above schedule is what we do most school days during the school year. Oh last two things I made a goal each day of starting Bible by 9 a.m. and I stopped at 3:00 p.m. at the latest. Most days we were done by 1:30, but if it went as late as 3:00 and we still were not done we stopped. Whatever wasn't finished we started with, after Bible, the next day instead of LA or math.

You asked some about devotions too. I use MFW Bible for most days, but if we already have it done I do have some other materials I pull out. My DH usually reads scripture before bed. He is gone too early in the morning to do it with the children before work, and we prioritize our prayer time as a couple in the morning.

I hope this helps!
Last edited by gratitude on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Our schedule has been different at different seasons in our life. Usually I like to have the kids get dressed(ish), brush teeth, make beds and have a cleared floor in their rooms before breakfast. After breakfast we have Bible. When we had school in our kitchen that meant Daddy did MFW Bible before he left for the day. Right now we dont have school in the kitchen so Dad has a short devotion and prayer before he leaves. If my husband wasnt here in the morning I would just jump right into school at this time.

As far as my devotional time I just had to get after it! I have a Bible by my bed either on my phone or a literal Bible. I wake up and grab some coffee and come back to my room and read, something, anything.. And pray. My goal since last year has been NOT to go about my day until I have had a quiet time including prayer. So if that means I got up and rushed around awhile because choas broke loose before I got to my Bible, then I will stop what Im doing, pop a movie in and do a devotion. I used to use the excuse that I was getting it in school I didnt need it other times.. Then I realized that if I did that to my husband, only was around him when kids were around then we wouldnt have a great relationship at all. I have to set aside time for our marriage and make it a priority, daily.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

kacairo1

Unread post by kacairo1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:42 pm

I hope this goes through...an AMAZING blog post by Ann Voskamp, titled, "When It's Hard to Find Time for God and Prayer" (a MUST read!)

http://www.aholyexperience.com/2011/09/ ... od-prayer/
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:12 pm

I get up at 5 - I should be in bed right now!

I found that I need to start praying as soon as my eyes open and my feet hit the floor - praying that I can wake up and focus on Him for a while! I make a cup of tea and get my quiet time "stuff" - my nook, my 2 Bibles (one is NIV, one is Holman, but that's just because...I'm weird), "My Utmost for His Highest" and my current Bible study, which is "John: 90 Days with the Beloved Disciple" by Beth Moore. Oh, and my prayer journal, which is really just like any other journal - I don't do a good job of keeping track of specific things I've prayed, and answers. I think that's a great idea, I'm just not good at follow-through. But, I have found that journaling helps keep me focused.

I pray. I open my Bible and read - I've been going through the Psalms just lately; they are so good for praying. Almost always, something in the Psalm will really speak to me, and I might underline it and/or copy it down in my journal, and/or pray about it or write down a prayer based on it.

Then I might go to my nook, where I am reading the devotional - "Mornings and Evenings" by Charles H. Spurgeon. Read the morning's devotional. Again, there is almost always something that really speaks to me and I'll highlight it or mark it in my journal, or just pray about it.

By this time, the tea is steeped, and I have only wandered into daydreams 7 or 8 times. :-) I start drinking my tea and praying some more.

I go to my Bible study book, which always starts with reading a bit of Scripture, and then answering a couple of personal application questions (this particular book has room to write in). Then there is some commentary, and sometimes another question, and it always closes with a prayer and some journaling space, which I may or may not use.

Then....I may be done, or I may read My Utmost - sometimes I do that later, sometimes I don't do it. Sometimes I read that instead of the Spurgeon book, or before it, or...there's really no ritual here, except that I need to be really prepared in my heart before I do the Beth Moore book, or I have no answers to the questions. My goal during this whole time is to just feel close to God - to get in His presence. I started this all a couple of months ago, when I was feeling very overwhelmed and stressed out by everything, and I couldn't figure out why. I finally realized that I just felt very separated from God, and I wasn't doing anything to really strengthen my relationship with Jesus. I started praying and trying to figure out what to do, and came across some resources to help. One thing that kept coming up was the verse in James (I think it's 4:8) "Come close to God, and He will come close to you." It has helped - my hunger and thirst for Him has increased, and that has helped my relationships in general, kwim? It's amazing how many days it seems the Spurgeon book, the Psalm, My Utmost and the Beth Moore book will all be saying the same thing, or use the same verse or something.

All of this takes anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes. I think I was stuck in the mindset that if I could just spend 15 minutes in the morning, I'd be set. The problem was, the 15 minutes were not quality time, kwim? So, I had to start getting up early - I argued with God about this, but He was pretty insistent. I'm not saying that's what everyone needs to do, that's just what I need to do.

Then - in theory, but not always in practice - I exercise for a while (Mon-Thurs) or go to WalMart to do some food shopping without the kids before dh has to go to work (Fri). Then I shower and dress and open the blinds and turn on the lights and by then the kids are eating breakfast.

And then - well, I'd like to tell you that then everything runs perfectly smoothly because I've had my time with the Lord, but I live with real people, so I should just end this here. ;) But, at 8 am, we start school, and we always start with Bible. I need to be better about praying with the kids, before we even start the Bible "assignment" but I'm bad about this. Does anyone have a prayer they say for their school every day? Maybe we should write a family prayer to say every morning. I don't know.

Anyway - after that, whenever things are getting chaotic and I'm about to lose it, I go to my room and pray. Sometimes I slam the door to my room, but I really do pray once I'm in there - usually something like, "God, are you SURE you want me to homeschool? Then why does it have to be so HARD?!"

Aren't I helpful? ;)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

lisabee

Unread post by lisabee » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 am

We always start our school day with prayer and our scripture for the week. We talk about what the scripture means and how we can apply it to our lives. It just makes my heart happy when I hear him quoting our memory scriptures randomly--he likes to say "my mouth just can't keep it inside! I HAVE to say it!"

He loves our morning scripture time...and it's a great way for me to find great scriptures to gift him with. They are gifts for him to keep in his heart and mind.

Now as for me...sigh. Sadly, I'm on the same train. Where do I find the time????

I really like what one of you said about spending time to fold clothes or read God's word...I will try that. But then I'm always on the lookout for anything that will delay housework! ;) Seriously though...it's a great principle!

good luck! It takes awhile to make anything a habit...so stick with it and you will be sooo happy you did!
Lisa M.
Mom to two fabulous farm-fresh boys
Little Britches (5 1/2)
Baby Britches (1)
My Blog about Homeschooling and Life on the Farm: Farm Fresh Adventures

cefcdana

Unread post by cefcdana » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:31 am

We start off with "Bible Time". I don't like to get up before my kids but know that I need a bit of God's Word and prayer before too much interaction has occurred :) I also know that I want to teach my kids what a quiet time is so I devised Bible Time. Each kid grabs a children's bible even if they can't read. We all sit quietly "reading" our bible for 10 minutes. Afterwards we pray and read a story from one of the Bibles. LOVE this time. I try to have a more in depth quiet time later in the day but this has worked well for me to start out the day without losing any sleep.

Poohbee

Inspire me with a Quote or short prayer?

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:39 am

HeyChelle wrote:I'm re-working our circle time board and I have an empty spot that must be filled. :-)

I'd love to fill it with something for me. Either a quote , short prayer, or Poem? I loved reading through the "how do you start your day" thread and thought you all might have even more bits of inspiration to share.

(Other things on the board... Flash card and words to remember the week, calendar page, 100 chart, Pledge, dd's memory verse, little bit of art, and our character theme for the week.)
How about a blessing to start each day?

From Numbers 6:24-26

"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

I just love this blessing! Just one idea for you.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Inspire me with a Quote or short prayer?

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:23 am

For several years, our bulletin boards had:

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23

Now, we use that as the cover of dd's "extra stuff" notebook.

(It's also what I say to myself when it's time to scrub the toilets. How's that for keepin it real?)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:32 am

cbollin wrote:just keep swimming...

:-) Ha ha. Love it. Seriously perfect.

THanks so much for the verse, too! I just took another thing off and have even more room. I'm feeling crafty now and plan to run to JoAnn's to pick up some pretty paper and make it fun this week.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:47 am

according to my oldest child, there will be days in homeschool, that you quote Einstein...

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?”

ok... I'll get all religious... :)

when you're having those days where everything in your eyes and face is right down the toilet, and you feel like it's not worth it....
2 Cor 4:18
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

-crystal

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:01 pm

I also like Charlotte Mason's motto: "I am, I can, I ought, I will." And someone has found Bible verses to go with each of those statements, but I'm not sure if I'd be breaking rules by posting the link. So, if you want 'em, send me a pm.

Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:47 pm

I Love reading the quotes, scriptures, and sayings on this thread! Some great inspiration and practical sayings out there.

My favorite scripture for home schooling and family life:

Mathew 18:20
"For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them."

It is a good thing to remember on the those trying days, like today in fact, that Jesus is here with us.

O.K. on a lighter note here is one I say to myself when my children are doing well and I think we are supposed to be getting something done:

Don't fix what isn't broken.
(They get some play breaks from this one that they never even realize they get. It reminds me to go find something to do & take one of those rare breaks and let them be during a good moment).

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:41 pm

G'smom wrote:Chelle, could you tell me more about your circle time? Thanks
I can't remember where I got the idea. One of the many great hs blogs out there. Wish I could give proper credit!

Basically I just used an old white board we had and turned it into a bulletin board. I'll take pictures when I'm done freshening mine up. I update it every Sunday evening or Monday morning to be current for the week. I have an extra set of MFW flash cards, so I lightly tape up the letter and badge of the week. Add in the calendar and 100 chart and anything else pertinent for the week. I also add a few things for my preschooler and 4th grader.

When we star school, we either all circle up on the floor around the board, which leans against the wall. (I think you can see it in my latest blog post?). Or sometimes I just place it on the table and we sit around it. Then we start our circle time around the board with a prayer, Pledge, reviewing our letter, memory vs, calendar, talk about the day, talk about our character trait of the week, etc. Then I send my 4th grader off to independent work while I finish Kindy and preschool. That's about it.

Eta: There is one pic on my blog. It's the next to last pic on the latest post about our new school area.
G'smom wrote:Chelle, thank you so much for that explanation, that sounds like a wonderful time. I think i'm going to try that with my preschooler and 3rd grader.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

MuzzaBunny

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:26 am

"You send your child to the schoolmaster, but 'tis the schoolboys who educate him." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bunny

Missy OH

How is everyone's school year going???

Unread post by Missy OH » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:21 am

This week we discovered we prefer to do history before breakfast and bible after lunch. I can do the history reading before my 2yo gets up and the girls snuggle up with some blankets on the couch. The weather is cool here now, in the morning. Then we can talk about what we've read while getting breakfast. It feels so much more relaxed.

We do bible when the little ones are down for their nap and most of our school is done for the day so we feel like we can linger over it instead of having this big to do list still looming over us. The read aloud is all over the place, just whenever we can squeeze it in, but we are staying caught up.

I think I've found what is going to work for us this year. Every year the family dynamics change and so it takes a bit to find the groove. I'm so glad the you all are enjoying your school year.