Parents - Books, Support, Self-Cares

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
MelissaB

Re: Good Books on Homeschooling for Parents

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Yes! For the Sake of the Children really challenged the way I initially thought about homeschooling, in a good way. I really enjoyed reading that book. Like other Moms, I enjoy Teri Maxwell's Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit, too. Keeping Your Children's Hearts by Steve and Teri Maxwell is my favorite because it squelches all of the fears of "What if they're not getting _____?!" and helps us maintain objective, long-term goal oriented activities that don't consume precious time.

For organizing: Teri Maxwell's Managers of Their Schools.

The most valuable lesson we've learned from the many books read on homeschooling has been this:
We budget our time just like we budget our money. Because there are only 24 hours in the day, we have to use our time for the MOST important things first, then see what's left over.

Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

IdahoGrown

Unread post by IdahoGrown » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:50 am

MelissaB wrote:The most valuable lesson we've learned from the many books read on homeschooling has been this:
We budget our time just like we budget our money. Because there are only 24 hours in the day, we have to use our time for the MOST important things first, then see what's left over.
Melissa, thank you for this!!! It is exactly what we do need to focus on...separating the wheat from the chaff.

I also recommend Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit. There is some excellent stuff in there.
Jean
Mom to dd 13 and ds 8
Hs'ing since 2004.
Using Adventures and RtR 2011-2012

Previous cores used: CtG 2010-2011

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:16 pm

and now for something different.... moving from philosophy to the practical needs of "ok.. what are the steps for this?"

The following books and authors were not ones who were "homeschoolers" (as far as I know).. I don't even know their religion! They wrote practical tips to get stuff done.
Deniece Schofield, Escape from the Kitchen. (the 1986 edition is the one I had)

Don Aslett's books on how to clean things efficiently!

for the children to learn time efficient methods to cleaning:The Zone Cleaning for Kids series
http://www.triggermemorysystem.com/Zone.html

Mary Ann over at Menus4Moms and her tips
http://www.menus4moms.com/homeorganization/index.php

using her zones helped me to have a real plan to get a "good enough" amount done every day. Without that structure of a daily to do list in chores, any book like maxwell would completely overwhelm and discourage me.... (another nice one is the style like motivated moms
http://www.motivatedmoms.com/products.html

back into schooling philosophy?

A book that helped me all those years ago...
Playful Learning: An Alternate Approach to Preschool by Englehardt and Sullivan

that set the stage for not being in the school at home mindset that I wanted not to do. (everyone is different.. no tomatoes, and no flames if I'm too secular)

and since this is the MFW message board... I guess at some point someone should say "oooh... you should listen to one of david's talk about something." LOL LOL

and I never learned how to decorate a house. cleaned up, clutter free... and decorate with maps, timelines, and school work.

meal plans:
I wanted to like Saving Dinner. didn't
I liked some of menus4moms stuff
never done dave ramsey one

ah... I remember when... I was more organized in the kitchen.... and in the grocery store... ah............. memories.. (cue up the Cats musical here...)

Wouldn't it be nice to also list books/blogs, etc. on the topics of "how to teach math, and how to teach reading/spelling, etc.. with confidence?"

-crystal

TriciaMR

how can i teach spelling power to myself?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:59 am

Canoearoo wrote:I love spelling power and am a horrible speller myself. I see it is good for adults but how would I go about teaching myself? I wonder when the kids grow up if they could test me? Or maybe I should just start at their level and learn along with them.. have them test me with their words. Then by teaching me they are actually learning as well.

I made it through college using spell checkers. I would love to improve my spelling. Any ideas?
Hmmm. Some thoughts:

1. Study the rule for each list, and then try to sort the words yourself. For example, Group 7 says /long e/ can be spelled ea, ee, y, ie, ei, ey, or e followed by a consonant and silent e (e-C-e). So, take a piece of paper and divide it into columns for each of the 7 possibilities, then go through the list and put each word in the right column.

2. Then have dh test you and you study just like the kids do.

Or, just do 1, and do it for several days, sticking to the same rule. Maybe make the column sheet and have dh call out words and you try to get them into the right column.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Mom2MnS

Re: how can i teach spelling power to myself?

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi (: What fun to always want to learn! I have an idea for you. You can test yourself this way to find a level, too.
Each time you start working with a new list in SP, read the words into a recording device. Play them back and listen carefully
--and then type them in Word (or other program) with spell check.

Cheering for you!
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

abrightmom

Share Your Hopes and Plans for the Year

Unread post by abrightmom » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:53 pm

MFW-Marie wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:29 am
Let’s share our hopes and plans for this school year.

Blessings,
Marie
Why are you homeschooling, and what do you hope will happen this year?
**Well, we are homeschooling because we want our children to be educated in a godly, Christ centered environment. We'd like the messages they hear in their schooling to line up with God's Word and we'd like the people speaking into their lives to love the Lord. Homeschooling is far more affordable than private school and it has been a wonderful way for ME to really get to KNOW my kids. As I don't know what the future holds :)

I am homeschooling one year at a time. This will be my 8th year. If it is our last year homeschooling I HOPE that it is the BEST. I hope my children will be GREATLY impacted by God's word and that they will be inspired by the missionary stories. I hope that they will become interested in Bible translation (a GREAT passion of my heart) and develop a desire to see the truth become available in the heart language of every person on the planet! I also hope we rock the geography game and master all of the countries that we study. I want my little guy to learn to read well and I can't wait to hear him read from God's Word. He's well on the way!

Is God saying anything special to your heart that you would like to share? A parenting book that I've read this past year that I highly recommend is called the Age of Opportunity by Paul David Tripp. It is a remarkable book and extremely helpful in understanding the middle school+ years and how to navigate them. Very poignant and refining for me as a Mom. Another highly recommended resource that has equipped me is Everyday Talk by John Younts. Another wow. Excellent. Relevant to all stages of parenting. Again, piercing my heart and helping me to grow as a Mom.

*** I can't wait for ECC to begin. ***
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8