Schedule - Do you follow MFW grid? How do you teach several?

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
RB

Does anyone follow the suggested schedule in the TMs?

Unread post by RB » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:17 am

my3sons wrote:I am wondering if anyone follows the idea of the suggested schedule that are listed in the Teacher's Manuals? Not the exact times or even the order, but doing one subject with everyone at one time? And if you do that with multiple ages, how does that work?

We have adapted the workbox system and the kids do math, grammar, handwriting, and their homework for Community Bible study on their own. My 9 year old does his reading independently as well, my 7 yr old reads to me. Of course they ask if they need help, but most of the time they are able to complete those subjects on their own. Together we do Bible, geography, science, music/art and read alouds.

This has worked well for us except that I wonder if the kids would benefit from more instruction time. I know that in the MFW's lesson plans for Singapore Math, said that I should be doing the TB regularly with the kids, but I have not been. Right now we only do that if it is a new concept that they are struggling with. They seem to be doing well, but I am sure that me walking through that as well some of the other subjects would be of benefit.

So... if you do, for example, math with different levels at one time, how do you do it? I see that hard to do logistically... how do you teach two (or three) different math concepts in that time? Also, there tends to be a lot of extra, off the subject talking when we do things together! ;)

Also, where do you fit in the littles that have not yet joined the 5 year cycle and are doing K or 1st?

With the addition of a new baby, our system needs to be tweaked and I am looking for good ideas!
I'd love to hear some opinions on this, too. We've never found a great solution, schedule-wise. We've tried everyone doing math at the kitchen table, and there is always frustration while I teach one and it is distracting someone else. When everyone alternates it works better, but drags out our day.

Right now I have my girls (8 and 10) do some independent subjects (reading, handwriting, sometimes science) while I teach phonics to youngest. The only problem is that my 8 y.o. really needs more practice reading aloud to me, and she is doing most of her reading silently.

In my ideal house we would have a huge schoolroom with 3 desks in different corners so that we could have everyone do a subject like math simultaneously, and I could rotate around to check or answer questions. In my real house (where we do school in the living room, kitchen, and small den with a kid sized table) I think I need to brainstorm this summer to figure out a creative solution.

I also see that my kids need to grow in patience. And I do too :~
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

TriciaMR

Re: Does anyone follow the suggested schedule in the TMs?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Here is what we have done this year. I have 9yo dd in CTG, and twin 5yo boys doing Abeka's K program.

I start with dd, doing Bible, History, Science (when we have it) and, well, right now, The Children's Homer. (Actually, otherwise, read alouds happen at lunch.)

Then, I go over her "seatwork" with her. It is in a plastic divided folder (our "workboxes). This year, that is any copywork, vocabulary (the days she can do that on her own), her AWANA memory work, handwriting or our Colorado Statesmen program (our state Home School group has a Home School Day at the Capital, and they sell a hand book that we do, and it covers Constitution stuff and this year state history), math drill, and (gasp!) math. I do go over it with her first, if it is new. That might mean it is 15 minutes to go over it. I then expect her to try it on her own.

While she is doing her "seatwork," I do K with my boys. That is anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours. I do MUS's Primer, Cubbies verse memory, and then Abeka's Phonics/Reading and Writing (manuscript). Oh, and my boys have gotten into doing Quarter Mile Math, so I let them do each one "drill" of +1.

After they are done, it is often time for me to make lunch, but sometimes we get a little done before lunch. So, then I work with dd on English, Writing, Spelling, Music/Art, Spanish, (on the days they're scheduled in the TM) and go over her Math with her.

I don't know how I'll do it next year. We'll be switching to MFW's 1st program for my boys, and RTR with dd. I may split things up more with the boys next year. But God always works it out every year - I just ask and pray.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:45 pm

The schedule is the manual is a guide -not a mandate. (worth saying out loud for those who haven't yet seen a MFW manual. They give a suggestion for time frames and time boxes to get through the day, but it is suggestion.)

From the little bit I think I understand, even in the Hazell’s house they didn’t necessarily always have all students working in math at the exact same time. I got the impression that sometimes someone would be in math in one on one instruction, and an older child would help do something productive with a younger one, and a middle kid might be doing piano or finishing a notebook page or book basket. (you know-- something that could be done on their own.... from further down the grid). (or in math --- everyone gets their own teaching time, then the workbook is "independent") At least I thought that was why the different colors were on that white board thing?
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 300#p46300

Did Marie intend it to include staggering? I don't know. I know staggering works in my house or they run off and play and I never get them back either. So, if I need to spend time with one, I can let the next one go to a more independent working thing on the grid (like do your art now, or go do Rosetta Stone while I do this with sister). But that's my house. So, maybe I projected that image onto what David was saying and maybe they don't do that . anyway....

In my house, I staggered the stop/start time a bit
We’d do group stuff (Bible/history/other)
Then, I’d work for a bit on math with middle gal
While oldest would do something else (either watch youngest, or book basket)
Then, middle gal would be ready for book basket and I was available to help other child in math.
Language arts – same principle…. I’d stagger the start a bit to give 10-15 minutes with one of them while the other did an independent thing like book basket, crocheting, reading for fun, a chore, stuff like that.

So we were close to doing the same subject at the same time, but it was overlapping – like in a relay race.

Youngest – got her K/1st time in spurts. Before breakfast was easiest to do math routines. Later in the day – grab in the language arts time for 15 minutes or so. Then early afternoon (ok… sometimes it was in the evening) we’d grab another 15 minutes to do K activity. Older kids enjoyed hanging out and helping her.
my3sons wrote:Crystal- thanks for sharing the graphic. I purchased David Hazell's homeschool chaos talk and that was very helpful as well.
Last edited by cbollin on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RB

Unread post by RB » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:07 pm

I've never seen that white board before. Pretty neat.

So the schedules in the manuals [might be] meant to include some staggering? That's a helpful piece of info. That's kind of what is evolving with our schedule. The biggest "trap" in our house is the misconception that if a child completes a subject (and I'm not ready to teach what comes next) they can go upstairs to play. Once anyone is upstairs it seems very hard to get them down again, even though they really like school.

So far my rough draft schedule for CtG (2nd, 4th,5th graders) next year looks like this:

*Bible/History
*First Task (ERTRU, copywork, etc)
*Individual Subjects: Kids work on English, Spelling, Math and Reading (with mom rotating to help)
Anyone who has time between subjects can do Book Basket or Foreign Language
*History
*Science
Art/Music (after lunch?)

We may find it works better to break up the individual subject block by doing history mid-morning. We'll need to try it out to know.

I like the Charlotte Mason distinction between Disciplinary Subjects and Inspirational Subjects, with the recommendation to alternate between the two categories as much as possible.
Last edited by RB on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:44 pm

On a Yahoo group, there was a mom of 7 who posted some GREAT info about teaching with preschoolers and babies and her post completely restructured our day and totally cut out a LOT of stress for me. I'm no longer a member of the yahoo group and I'm afraid I'll butcher her original post, but I'll do my best to lay out how we changed our school after her suggestions.

The original post on yahoo suggested rotating in 1/2 hour shifts throughout your school day. She suggested only working 1/2 hour with each child per day on their individual core subjects. For instance, I now sit first with my 8yo dd and we go over the day's math (using Singapore textbook) for 10-15 minutes, I drill flashcards with her for 5 min. or less, then we go over LA for the remaining 15 min. My own inspiration was that each child has their own individual toolbox that I bought at Home Depot for $10 (even the 3yo). In it is all their math, LA, handwriting, math flash cards, etc. Plus, it contains pencils, colored pencils, glue, and scissors. Plus there is room on the top for their special items (shells they've collected, their Valentine's Day cards, stickers, etc.). We sit down with their box and a typed out list for the week of what they have to do in each subject. I spend the 30 minutes going over their weekly list (divided up for each day) which is stored in their toolbox. Then after I'm done with 8yo, we break for snack & science as a family, then I do the same thing with my 5yo dd. There are 2 half hours scheduled in our day later when they complete their daily lists by themselves. (During those times, the little ones have coloring time, video time, or play outside time while I do chores or play with them.) I'm always around, of course, so if the "big kids" have questions or need help then I am there to step in. But I have found that after the first few days, they are almost completely independent with their work. They move down their checklists finishing anything they didn't finish with me. (Often, we are able to finish math or LA in the 15 minutes I sit with them.) I also assign daily reading for 20 minutes on the list, and when they finish their "workbook" work, they grab what ever book I've assigned and pick up from where they left off. So that is 1/2 hour tutor time with mommy for each child's day. Then 2 separate 1/2 hours later in the day to complete their work. (If they finish during the first 1/2 hour or even during tutor time, then those scheduled 1/2 hours are "free time." So far, I haven't found they need longer than 1 1/2 hours to complete math, LA, handwriting, reading or any other little thing I schedule during that time and often need only 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to finish it all. We do schedule a separate 1/2 hour time slot for each for piano practice and Community Bible Study homework.)

For another 1/2 hour, each child has "computer time." My 6yo ds pretty much plays educational games (Reader Rabbit, JumpStart 1st Grade, etc.). My 8yo dd does SpellingCity.com and math drills during that 1/2 hour. (Each child has 1/2 hour computer time while the other does piano/Bible study work. Then they switch. During that time, I am doing preschool and playtime with my 3yo and 1yo.)

Then we rotate 1/2 hours with the other MFW subjects: I've already mentioned science (we stretch it to 1/2 hour by adding snack!), geography (1/2 hour to 45 min.), Bible (only 15 minutes scheduled) and art/music. In between subjects we also have clean-ups and play outside for 1/2 hour. I've found that by switching things up and playing with the little kids and being outside as much as possible, the little ones will sit in on the subjects scheduled together without too many problems. We eat snack while I read science. A lot of times, they fall asleep during the geography reading times after lunch and of course they love art/music time. Bible is first thing in the morning and only 15 minutes, so no problems sitting for that so far. I forgot to mention that each "big" kid also has 1/2 hour babysitting time, where they play with the little ones so I can spend that 1/2 hour focused on the child I'm working with. I put them in a safe place with specific toys that I switch up every day, and they do a pretty good job. My 6yo tends to fall into entertaining himself instead of the baby, which is something I'm working on. But my 8yo does a great job babysitting so I can work with my ds.

I hope this makes sense. We start early so we are done with school by lunch time. The original yahoo poster had children in junior high, and she was successfully using 1/2 hour rotations still. We switched to this in January, and have gotten more accomplished in 3 months than we did in the whole first semester. I never would have believed my kids were so independent, but they can do it! They were used to me sitting with them while they finished each subject (my original way to work) and so we had a little issue at the beginning because I had trained them that way, but once they realized they could do it without me, they were happy. Our school day is shorter so that means more playtime, so they finish as quickly as possible!
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:58 pm

I always complete all or much of the Bible, Language Arts, and History (including most read alouds) together with all my elementary/junior high aged students first thing each morning.

This way they all have some "seatwork" to accomplish while I start math class. I add a math drill sheet as well each day (but Friday), so they have that to complete as well while they are waiting their math turn.

I have 4 math students and I do meet with each one individually to go over the day's lesson and then send them off to do the workbook. Only my high schooler works through the lesson himself (most days ;) ) and then goes over his math with me in the afternoon. I rotate who gets to start with math first each week, so everyone gets to rotate with that.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:33 am

my3sons wrote:THank you for typing all that out. I have been thinking through your post -- would you mind sharing your schedule each day? We already do the weekly list of their individual tasks for each day. I am liking the 30 minutes increments as that would engage my kindy kid a bit more and ensure that the olders are getting that instruction time.
Here is my 8yo's school schedule. We had some help from Managers of Their Homes (http://www.titus2.com):

7:00 Breakfast & Clean-Up
8:00 Morning Chores
8:15 Family Bible Time
8:30 Piano Practice & CBS
9:00 Computer School
9:30 Mom Tutoring Time
10:00 Science & Snack
10:30 Babysitting
11:00 Play Outside
11:30 Independent Schoolwork
12:00 Art/Music
12:30 Lunch & Clean-Up
1:00 Clean-Up Schoolroom
1:15 Independent Schoolwork
1:45 Family School (This is geography/history & book basket time. We do it after lunch now so that the baby is sleeping.)
7:15 Read-Alouds (DH watches little kids and I read to big kids, or vice versa)
7:45 Family Devotions
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

Wendy B.

Anyone do afternoon school? (Or any other modified sched

Unread post by Wendy B. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:31 pm

far above rubies wrote:I was just reviewing the suggested schedule again in the ECC manual. I really want to try to stick to that schedule, if possible this year. Mostly because 1) I like schedules and 2) Two docs and a PyschD. have suggested a schedule of time limits for my little Aspie. He tends to get so bogged down with details, that if left to his own to complete a task, he will likely spend a whole hour on something that should reasonable take maybe 5 minutes or less. It's the same with mealtimes. So they recommend that we give him a steady schedule of time limits--something put on the wall even, so he knows where we are and what we're doing. If he needs extra time, then he'll have "homework." I also love the idea because then I'll know we'll have afternoons free for appointments, therapies, etc. I think the children are "fresher" in the mornings, too.

But.....I also like the idea of possibly moving things to the afternoon (instead of 8-12:05, doing 1 to 5:05, or sometime in between). I think this will work better because we do our grocery shopping in the mornings and have I mentioned the wee infant?

Anyway, point is.... if you do the suggested morning schedule, how does it work for you? If you follow an afternoon schedule, or something in between, how does that work for you? If you don't follow ANY kind of schedule, how does that work for you?
I prefer doing school first thing in the morning. The kids are in a better mood and it just goes smoother. Also.....being done by lunchtime and having the afternoons free for fun stuff makes me very, very happy!

That said....during the summer months we flip our school day. We head to the pool or outside in the mornings and school in the afternoons. I do this for practical reasons since we live in the south and have heat indexes in the triple digits. Free afternoons are tedious if we are stuck in the house for hours on end! I never feel as productive when we are doing summer school since there is always something that just doesn't get done. When we do school in the morning it is easy to finish up a longer science or art project in the afternoon. I don't like doing school stuff once dh gets home from work so there is always a big push to get everything done by dinner time when we are doing school in the afternoon. Frequently this means that something is getting skipped or skimmed over.

If we don't follow any schedule then nothing gets done! I get lazy and the kids rebel.

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

WindDancer

Re: Anyone do afternoon school? (Or any other modified sched

Unread post by WindDancer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi,

I am a full-time college student and our homeschool schedule changes each semester! On the days I am home I schedule independent work so I can work on my own homework assignments. Then, in the afternoon we do the hands-on stuff. Obviously, the days I have classes are all independent or no school days..LOL
Summer is full-time homeschooling to make up for the light school year schedule.

Whatever works best for YOU and your child is what is best!

Blessings, Lisa
Homeschooling since 1996.
Graduated two children 2008 & 2010.
Son, 13, using MFW RTR & loving it!
Me, 48, full-time student at university :)
DH~~self-employed artist at home.

far above rubies

Unread post by far above rubies » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:09 pm

OK, so I created a grid, based on MFW's suggestions. It includes the time allotment (ie 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.), but I did not include specific times. This way, the children know when our max time is and when we'll move on to the next thing (which will be great for the Aspie), but it won't tie us into an inflexible scheduled time, so if the newborn wants to nurse or if my 2 year old is having a meltdown, or if my Aspie is having a meltdown.... (or if Mama is having a meltdown, :~ ) then we're still OK. :)
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

rjsmomma

Unread post by rjsmomma » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:12 pm

We start a little later in the morning, usually around 10:30 or so and then go a little later in the afternoon/evening. My dd is NOT a morning person, and she also has animal chores to do in the morning which then gets her side-tracked into some outdoor playing. So I have her get up, eat breakfast and then go out to do chores and play and then she has all her wiggles out of her for a little while and we do school. We do still take a break for lunch and another in the afternoon, usually by 4:00 she is finishing up her independant work. I do wish we could get started earlier, but every time I try and force it, the day goes badly:)
Shannon Meyer
DD - 13 years old - 7th grade
Used MFW for K, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and now 7th:)

meljen

Unread post by meljen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:18 am

Oh thank you so much for opening this topic. We just started MFW K and 1st last Thurs. and I am trying to get into my groove with scheduling. I think our son has a really serious problem with having things be a certain way and schedules, or else he freaks out. So this will help I think. :-) Also, I have been killing myself getting up early to get school going.

I think I might have our longer activities in the afternoon if it's a longer day (like science books, craft making, etc.) and whatnot. I just hope I can mix it up enough that the kids aren't getting all strenuous work at once in the morning without creativity breaks for the creation days and other things. You know?

I ESPECIALLY love the summertime idea! It gets hot in our apartment, so I'll need to take things in stride and see how things will work as far as school at that time. But I love the afternoon schedule idea. :-)

Thank you everyone for sharing!
DD 7, DS 5
Using MFW K & 1st for the first time (2011)

Fly2Peace

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 pm

We do school in afternoon, and have for several years now. It works for us. I work as a programmer in the mornings from home, and they do chores and independent work. One reason we changed was that before, when I did school first, and then work, we would be doing some concept, and I felt like, oh, just a little longer and the light bulb would come on for her, but I HAVE to get to work. So, we would stop school, and I would start work. I guess I find it easier to shut down from work, and walk away, than my children, especially when they are on the brink of understanding some concept.
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)

Jami

Unread post by Jami » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:32 pm

We have schooled in the afternoon for the past two years. I have two little girls that take naps and it works best for us to school when they are not awake. My boys all are pretty good about working diligently so we get through school in less than two hours usually.

And I like that we can go do things in the mornings any day we want and it doesn't mess with our school time. If we schooled in the morning and had to be home for naps in the afternoon, we'd hve to be home all day and would have to disrupt our schedule whenever anything came up.

As for the schedule that MFW gives, we follow the grid pretty closely in the order that we do things, but we don't take nearly the amount of time they suggest for doing things for some reason. We just do it until it's done and then move on...no breaks or we might not make it back. :) My oldest in only in 4th, so maybe as they get older, things will take longer.

So...that's just our perspective on afternoon schooling. I know that it's easier to figure out what will work for you and your child once you start schooling and try things out. I hope you find something that works for him!
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

huntchaos

Unread post by huntchaos » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:27 pm

We do a few things like bible and then reading/math - basically, aside from bible, the independent subjects in the morning. We take a nice long lunch break, do chores, outdoors play. Then, we turn to the other MFW activities in the afternoon. These are my kids "favorite" subjects and like another poster stated, if my kids get excited about something, I don't have to pull the plug - we can find other resources or keep on discussing to our hearts content.
Erin,
Married to DH 12 years...
DS - age 10 - ECC (high func. autism)
DD - age 7 - ECC
DD - age 2 - running around and getting into all sorts of mischief
Infrequent blogger at: http://www.huntchaos.com/

gratitude

Flipped schedule - opinions?

Unread post by gratitude » Tue May 17, 2011 3:42 pm

meljen wrote:After varying days of frustration / lack of interest / rushed schedule in the mornings, we are trying a flipped schedule today. In other words, play in the morning, then lunch, then school. So far it was nice to play in the morning, but the day almost feels upside-down like we're eating dessert then the healthy stuff. If that makes sense. We're eating lunch right now, about to do school for the day.

Does anyone do a schedule like this?

The reason I can't easily spread school throughout the day is our son needs to feel like he knows when we're 'done', and I also work at home, so I need time to do housework/business work outside of school. It's very hard to block time out for our daily activities if school isn't blocked into a particular time, and it's too easy for me to forget to do something. So I really need to either do school before lunch, or after lunch. Lunchtime seems to be a good marker for the kids in understanding parts of the day.

My concerns about an afternoon school schedule - having play in the morning feels good and gets it out of our system, but it also feels less controlled time-wise. Also, I am worried that after a morning of play, the kids will be even LESS likely to want to do school. So - any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. :-)
Hi meljen!
A post by me during my time of 'school in the afternoon experimentation' that says I was quite happy with it. ;)
gratitude wrote:I just started home schooling in the afternoon in the past week, and it is helping immensely! We still do Bible in the morning, around 9 a.m. I moved everything else though to the time my dd2 is napping. I do lunch with all of them around noon, and then when she goes down for nap after wards I start the rest of the school work. It has allowed me to do school with a 7,6, & 4 year old without the distraction of a toddler. It has also allowed dd2 to have more attention in the morning that she needs. A Great Change! :-)
However, this happiness only lasted about 1 week or less. 8[] It seemed like a great idea to do school during my dd2 nap time. However, it didn't really work - except maybe 1 or 2 days for variety.

The main problems for me with it were:
*The kids were too wiggly and needing to be done by the time lunch was finished. Yes, morning play got the wiggles out - some. The morning play though also drained their mental focus. It was mostly gone, there really wasn't anything left for school. After all that great indoor play they were ready for outdoor play.
*Me. I am a morning person by nature. I am much more focused at 8 a.m. then 2 p.m. It is much easier for me to lead in the morning, and be a more relaxed mom heading for the outdoors in the afternoon.

The result is we are back on a morning schedule. I like it. The kids know what to expect. The goal is to finish by lunch. I should add though that I did put into the morning routine 20 minutes or so of free play while I do the breakfast dishes. So I am doing Bible at the table after breakfast, and then they get some wiggles out while I do the dishes and then we start the rest of school. It is the schedule we have used for school the most, and it is by far the one that seems to hold over time and work the best for our family.

Now one hitch is days like today when we went to the dentist this morning. This took the entire morning. So we are taking today off from school; none of us are in the right mental frame to start school at 2 p.m. Taking a 'scheduled school day' off though is fairly unusual. My afternoons are much more likely to have interruptions then the morning, and I usually schedule appointments for 2 pm or later.

I hope this helps. Blessings.

meljen

Re: Flipped schedule - opinions?

Unread post by meljen » Tue May 17, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for the advice, and pointing things out. I saw the exact same thing today. It did get their wiggles out, but then it made them so squirmy and drained that my DD (7) could hardly sit still, it took her an hour to do her bible copywork and workbook page for MFW 1st. That is WAY too long. And, she could hardly focus on math.

Afternoons are lazy time, I think.
DD 7, DS 5
Using MFW K & 1st for the first time (2011)

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue May 17, 2011 6:20 pm

As far as doing school in the afternoon... that occasionally happens around here. It only works if I tell the kids in advance and it only works on light days.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Starting in the afternoon around here doesn't work too well either. If I can get a couple of core subjects in sometime in the morning, even if it's light I can usually get away with the 'fun' stuff in the afternoon if it's not too late but we are all usually out of school mode if it was too long of a break in between.

HTH :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Julie in MN

Flipping the schedule on its head?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:20 pm

far above rubies wrote:In the beginning of last week, I followed MFW's suggested schedule and it went well.

But we had some outside interruptions (as well as a 4 1/2 to 5 week old) and by the end of the week, we'd flipped the schedule. We started out with Bible, L.A., Science, and Geography w/ Book Basket. THEN, we went on to English and Math, because my oldest dd can do these entirely independently and my 2nd grader needs a little help and then can do other work independently before having free time.

This "flipped" schedule was nice because it meant that my actual teaching time was over earlier during the day, which meant that I could get on while taking care of other things that needed to be taken care of. I was even able to get lunch out on time while nursing the baby. AND get my other son to therapy! On time! But I also feel as though we're rushing through everything by doing the teacher-intensive things first.

In the beginning of the week, I used the children's Math hour to teach K to my dd, and that was fine, but by the time they'd finished everything, we were kinda feeling sluggish. Then we had to rush through clean up, lunch, diapers, and get my toddler son ready to head out the door for therapy. So, it sounds like either way, something feels "rushed," but it could all be in my head.

Any thoughts? Or if you tweak the suggested schedule, how do you go about it?
Our schedule changed a bit each year. But one of the driving forces was my son's tolerance for math and writing -- I usually wanted to do those when he was most fresh, to avoid meltdowns. When we did fun stuff like cooking or reading aloud was much more flexible, and more of a treat in between the dreaded pencil work :~

I'm sure with a 5 week old, I would have catered to my ds much less!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Re: Flipping the schedule on its head?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 am

I've done that in the past when I was teaching K and 1st. I did all the Bible, History/Geography, and Science first, then that gave my oldest stuff to do (handwriting, copywork, vocabulary, notebooking pages, etc) while I worked with my twins. Then, after they were done (took 1 to 1.5 hours to do them), I could focus on math, english, and spelling with her.

But, this year, with all 3 together, I find doing Bible, then Spelling, English, Reading and Math first works better, and then the History, Science, Music/Art.

So, do what works best for you and your kids.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:41 pm

I just typed a lengthier reply in your other thread (about rising time for Mom), and maybe some of that applies to this question, too. I just had one more question specific to this one....

Does your toddler have therapy every day, or just certain days of the week? What else do you have going on in the afternoons? Can you make therapy day your "light and independent" day with MFW? IOW, let's say Tuesday is therapy day. So make Wednesday your "first day of the week" (or "Monday") from the grid. Then your "light Friday" would fall on Tuesday, so you'd have minimal schoolwork on Tues. morning and would feel less rushed for getting to therapy.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:46 pm

congratulations on that new baby!

I'm going to guess that anything will feel rushed right now. But I like the style of get the teacher led stuff done first. I do that from time to time. ok.. I do it a lot..... things change every couple of weeks around here.

(hugs)

-crystal

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:42 pm

We tweak our schedule often to make way for dr. appts or one of the tots I babysit (changes all the time)...or for a special time we are expecting one of our adult children to pop in for...especially if one of the 2 that live in more distant states as we see them very infrequently. I try to avoid feeling rushed...but I imagine if I was still nursing one of my babies that would be much more difficult to do. Things will probably ease up as the little one gets older and more scheduled! Gotta go...the 16 month old I watch is remodeling all of the contents of my once neatly arranged living room!!! Haha :-)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

far above rubies

Unread post by far above rubies » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:52 pm

Well, this morning it hit me that I'm teaching a Kindergartener, 2nd grader, 4th grader, preschooler, and a 6 week old (just 6 weeks today). I'm also running a home and taking care of all the HR stuff for my husband's company. I mean, it finally hit me. LOL

I think I need to cut myself some slack. :~
4Truth wrote:Oh man. :~ Yeah, that is a LOT!

I'd say adequate sleep is VERY important here. ;)
:~ And I forgot to add two special needs children with therapy schedules. ;)

I'd say we're doing just fine. LOL

Today went well! We even got a majorly late start to our day--didn't get going until 9, on the dot. And somehow we were DONE before 11 and that's teaching everyone, even the toddler with his little program. I followed the schedule but moved on quickly and I think the children are just finding their groove now.
4Truth wrote:Yaayyy! **throws confetti and blows party horn**

Yep, you're doing just fine. :-)
Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:03 pm by far above rubies
We've definitely found our groove, I think. :)

We start off the day with Bible, L.A. activity, Geography, Book Basket (while I do K with my dd6), Science, and then the older children move onto independent work. :)

This plan seems to be working. :)

I've found that when we take breaks, we fall out of our groove and it's difficult to get back on track. If we don't take off at Christmas time and just keep going through, we will finish the last week of April, I think. Then we can take a nice break and start up in July, as we usually do. It's so hot in July that we don't want to get out anyway, so it's perfect for starting school. :)
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]