Schedule - Do you follow MFW grid? How do you teach several?

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
gratitude

Happy Dancing...the TM's great schedule suggestion!

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:41 pm

I have for at least two years now gone back and forth on the schedule proposed at the beginning of the MFW TMs. As a result school has roughly been between 9 and 3. It doesn't take 6 hours at these ages though, so it has been a bit inefficient and start and stop throughout the day.

Well last night I announced that we were going to have school hours every morning from 8am - Noon (as the MFW TMs suggest), and one of the Charlotte Mason books I am reading suggests too. ADV and MFW1 doesn't take more than 4 hours, and probably actually takes less. So I informed them they would have afternoons off and we would finish at lunch even if we weren't done (which is a HUGE step for me).

Happy Dancing! The stress that rolled off my back today is incredible. The kids are getting outdoor time. School was more focused and stream-lined. Our co-op went well because we had already finished, and I didn't have it hanging over my head. Oh...I might even be able to get my house cleaned for guests next Monday.

I just wanted to share the wisdom that has been there all along in the TM; in case someone else besides me hadn't tried it yet.

I see some real potential here.... I need to know I am not always a 'home school mom', but spend far more hours a day as just 'mom' loving my children (yes I love them when I teach, but for me it is a different focus).

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Happy Dancing...the TM's great schedule suggestion!

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:12 pm

gratitude wrote:I need to know I am not always a 'home school mom', but spend far more hours a day as just 'mom' loving my children (yes I love them when I teach, but for me it is a different focus).
Love this.

So glad that your day went so well. There is true wisdom in getting school work done in the mornings. It doesn't always happen that way for us, but life is beautiful when it's on schedule!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm so thrilled that you are not only loving but implementing some of Charlotte Mason's practices into your home. Unstructured afternoons and short morning lessons are a must in our home ... yay for peace-filled days. :-)
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Yay!!

Love it.

It's amazing how much more seems to sometimes get done when you just decide you are going to stop at point X, no matter what's still left. Yay for less stress! That's always a good thing.

:)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Yay! We recently rearranged our schedule to get done by noon. I really dislike schooling in the afternoon and love that cm and mfw suggest am schooling. It makes the day much better. My dd is one that loves to drag things out but if I keep on her we finish by lunch. Happy for you and your family!
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:16 am

erin.kate wrote:I'm so thrilled that you are not only loving but implementing some of Charlotte Mason's practices into your home. Unstructured afternoons and short morning lessons are a must in our home ... yay for peace-filled days. :-)

A thank you to all of you. And thank you Erin for the Charolette Mason book suggestions. They are wonderful! :-)

momonthemove

How do you do school?

Unread post by momonthemove » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:03 am

Melany wrote:Do you just work on the different subjects until they are completed for the day no matter how long it takes?

Or do you stick to a schedule and say you have 15 (or whatever) minutes to get a certain subject done and then move on to the next whether it is finished or not?

In the past I have kind of done it the first way, but some days school would take WAY too long. I'm thinking that this year I might need to give a certain amount of time so that my soon to be 8 yr old can learn to focus and get things accomplished more quickly.

What are you thoughts?

Do you do the certain amount of time for each subject and then what doesn't get done do the next day or on Friday?

How does this work for you? Can you give me examples of what amounts of time you give for the different subjects?

Thanks!
I don't do a set amount of time. That stresses me out. I always feel behind. We work on a checklist of subjects to complete. Now, somedays life happens and we have to move things around and that is okay. O r after dinner we might finish up. Also, the check list allows us to work ahead ona subject if we know that tomorrow will be crazy. :)
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

Buttercup78

Re: How do you do school?

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:30 am

We just go down the list also but some days either they or I am DONE at a certain point in the day and the rest gets pushed off to the next day and catch up on Friday or sometimes it just gets skipped. We do our History or Geography first so we don't get off track with that.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:18 pm

Somethings I do use timers for, somethings I don't. Here's kind of what I did last year (EXP1850):

First: Bible. No timer. Worked on this as long as we needed.
Second: 3 15-minute times, with the kids rotating between Spelling (with me), AWANA (listening to verses), and Math Drill (on computer)
Third: 3 10-minute times, with the kids rotating between English (with me), Book Basket, and Rosetta Stone (on computer)
Fourth: 3 10-minute times, with the kids rotating between Reading (with me), free time, and Note Drill
Fifth: Untimed: with kids rotating between: Math (with me), Wii Fit, and Handwriting (my younger two were working through a Handwriting book). This one is untimed, because each of my kids needs a different amount of time for math, depending on their needs.. If they finished Handwriting, they either would watch their sibling on the Wii or go outside and play.

We usually finished all this by lunch. Then after lunch we did History, Science, Music & Art, read aloud (sometime I read that at lunch), and the 2nd/3rd grade Supplement stuff.

We usually didn't finish until 2:30 or 3:00, but 2 of my kids are dyslexic, so I have to help with spelling a lot on any notebooking pages and such.

After that, then they could practice piano.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Ruby

Unread post by Ruby » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 pm

i heartily agree with trish- set a timer for short increments and when the timer goes off, stop, clean up and move onto the next subject. i read once somewhere that we need to teach in short segments to let our children absorb it all, instead of overloading them with info then expecting them to retain it. this was regarding the lower elementary grades. and it helps the children's attitudes when they know math or english or science or whatever will only last 10 or 15 minutes. the day gets done quickly and you can move on to other things. if they get absorbed in a certain subject, then let them know they can do more, just during their free time.

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 pm

I go down our list. But Im not afraid to do less of an assignment. Like half a PLL lesson or only 1 page of Math (MUS).. Just so our work doesnt take too long.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:43 am

I make a schedule based on the MFW schedule and how long I think it will take us to accomplish something. I don't use a timer with my guys (unless it involves the computer or video games, then it must be timed ;) ) I have broken assignments up into two sessions if I think it will serve us better and one of my guys takes longer in math than the other so we can go longer/shorter in that area.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 am

Hi, Melany,

Each family has to do it the way that works best for them. In our school, a few years ago, we were worn out at the end of the day trying to get everything finished. With a list of subjects but no schedule, we were more likely to take a "quick break" here and there, which meant our school day was drawn out even longer.

So, finally, year before last, we started using a schedule and a timer. When the timer goes off, we change subjects. Whatever work doesn't get finished Monday through Thursday must be done on Friday, in place of play time. That's been enough to motivate our girls to get their work completed on time..... And I have gotten to stop nagging - which no one enjoys, including me. :-)

Whatever system you choose, remember to begin each day asking the Lord what He wants you to do that day. If He shows you that a little one needs snuggled on the couch for a few hours, then the system may have to be put aside that day - but for a much better purpose. ;)

Have a great year!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:16 am

We have done both. My dd likes to dawdle. When it gets bad we go back to time linus for each lesson. Unfinished work is done later as "home work". She doesn't like that and will stay on track to get done. We do always have a start time. As long as she is cooperating we don't do the time limits and it just takes a warning of that to get her back in line.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

MelissaB

Four Hours a Day ?

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:04 pm

albanyaloe wrote:I am sure I read somewhere or heard on the cd's that the writers of MFW intended it to be completed in four hours a day, with about 60- 90min independent work included in that, for each child, depending on age of course.

I really would love to see examples of how different families do this "daily schedule" in four hours. Also, how do you juggle teaching the independent subjects and fitting in MFW. Our school year runs Jan-Dec and whilst we were coping last year, with a First grader, third grader and sixth grader this year, we don't get done anymore and we're feeling so frustrated.

We're doing ECC, and I'm supposed to be doing K with the First grader. (Because she can read we'll just skip out what is too easy) I just feel it is too good a year for her to miss.

But at the moment I have one bored, angry 6 year old, who spends most her day... waiting. And a third grader who says,"Do I have to do this, it is too hard", with regards to MFW worksheets. At least my sixth grader loves the MFW, but we are doing extra Singapore and do ILL four to five times a week as we are catching up. And most of the time I cannot just hand things to him and expect him to go ahead and do it.

I wonder if some basic discipline is missing in our homeschool, and would love some suggestions and also time management ideas. My children seem to dawdle over their work. I feel like I am constantly having to hover around so they keep at it or else they chat, stare out the window, begin to play, wander off... I feel I am really messing this up, my children are not independent workers, as it seems others are, neither are they self-motivated. I don't like the idea of bribing them, and really pray the motivation to complete their school work will come from within.

I do have a little checklist for each child daily. I've tried to get them to do their independent subjects by 10am or 10.30 so that we can do MFW from 11, but it does not always work. What am I doing wrong? Hoping to get some new ideas on this,
Lindy
Hi, Lindy,
I'm smiling as I read this, because I worried about the same thing when my daughters weren't working "independently" enough. We have two girls, ages 11 & 8, and we are in school from 7:30ish (notice the ..ish there) until 2 p.m. most days. This includes two 30-minute sessions of foreign language and piano practice for each girl.

Our oldest daughter has just blossomed this year and works great independently now. But she was showing no signs of that last year.

If you feel a tug in your heart that you aren't disciplined enough (I feel that "tug" a lot), or that your home is not peaceful, I highly recommend http://www.titus2.com's resources: "Homeschooling with a Meek & Quiet Spirit" and "Managers of Their Homes." Both of those have been great assets to my life.

Hope that's a little helpful! I'm sure you're doing a great job. We just don't always feel like it. :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

TriciaMR

Re: Four Hours a Day ?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Lindy,

Four hours is unrealistic in many homes (sorry to the Hazells, but it just is!). I have 2 dyslexic kids (my 12 yo, and one of my twin 8 yo boys). Days are long - we start at 8:30ish and often don't finish until 3:00-3:30. However, my dd who is now a 7th grader and dyslexic has stepped it up quite a bit, but that is just this year. Even as a 6th grader she needed lots of hand holding.

For me, in the past, I have found the earlier we start the day, the better. When I did ECC (and I just had my then 3rd grade daughter, and the boys were 4 yo preschoolers), if we got started by 8:15, we would be mostly finished by noon. I would read the read aloud at lunch. But, if we started at 8:30, we wouldn't be done until 2:00 in the afternoon. I don't know why or how that 15 minute difference translated into 1 or so hours, but it just did.

I am finding similar things this year. If I can get started early, then we get done early. But, sometimes the dog throws up in the house, or some has to use the bathroom, or chore inspection finds a chore not completed right, and things get moved back. It's just the way it is and I have finally got to a point of accepting it.

I think you can say "4 hours" if none of your kids have behavior or learning issues or are not behind. But otherwise, all bets are off.

When we did ECC last time, we did Bible (except copywork - that was independent), geography and science first, all together (even my boys liked sitting in on it). Then my oldest did math drill (Math Windows or some online math drills), copy work, science page (if we had one), studying AWANA verses, handwriting as independent work while I spent an hour with my boys doing preschool. Then they had their fill, and I could work on Math and language arts with my oldest.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Mom of a 7th grader and 3rd grader doing ECC, and doing an idividualized program for Kindergartener. ANd, it is some waiting, some starting, some stopping. This year, my 3rd grader is much more independent than last year. WHEW!

Here is what we do....I try to start older on Math. After math, the boys do their reading time. I work with youngest on reading during this time and her Singapore Math. We have another workbook we do, but sometimes we break and I go back to the boys. If not, the boys usually get a 15 minute break while I continue with daughter.

Then we do ECC. (I know many start with their main bible, history/geography first. Well, I found that my daughter does best first, so that is how we figured it out.) Daughter may join us for coloring, sometimes she doesn't and does gluing and cutting! LOL I sometimes do the read aloud then, or sometimes I wait and do it while kids are eating lunch and I read to them then.

After joint work, we split again. Oldest works on English and middle does science. The middle does English while older does science. That gives me time to work individually and still be available for questions.

We usually don't get started before 9 and end about 2:30. That is an hour break for lunch. Sometimes, older works longer than others. That is the life of a 7th grader.

Another option I could use would be to assign oldest time with youngest while i focus on middle and vice versa. Haven't had to resort to that yet.

Good luck.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

extrafor6

Unread post by extrafor6 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Wanted to comment that I am doing ECC with a 10 and 8 yo, along with the 1st grade program, and I have a 3 yo who also wants to learn. I think those of us with multiple programs and levels are challenged in scheduling. I really neglected my 1st grader this fall.

Since the first of the year, I've taken a piece of advice I read on here (somewhere!). We all do "group time" first thing in the morning, which is basically ECC Bible, memory verse work, a hymn or poem or picture study, and the ECC read aloud. Then, I do all of the 1st grade work with my youngest dd, with the exception of math. In the meanwhile, the older girls practice piano, do copy work, write math facts, practice spelling, read, book basket...sometimes I even come up with random things like "illustrate the read aloud from today". We also gave the GeoPuzzles that I pull out...basically anything that I am certain they can do on the own.

Our day has become SO much more efficient doing things this way. The kids aren't frustrated either. Then my 1st grader gets a break to play with 3 yo brother. I tag team the older girls with core subjects. Then 1st grader comes back and does math so she is finished by lunch. After lunch we do The rest of the ECC stuff. We save all art projects from both programs, for our light day.

Whew! Didn't mean for that to be so long. Another thing I plan to do the week is a time budget. I'm gong to track my day down to the minute as best I can to see where I'm not being intentional or losing time.

I think it just takes a while to find your groove and kids are so fluid and change so much just within a six month time period, that we must constantly transition too! If it's any comfort, this is my fifth year homeschooling and I just now feel like I know what I'm doing :) You'll get it worked out!
Be blessed,
Stephanie

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi Lindy,
I'm going to try to join in on some of your concerns, too. But first of all, I think 4 hours is only possible if you are realistic in counting time actually spent (i.e. not a one hour lunch and two 30 minute breaks mixed into the 4 hours LOL). I also think it's only possible if you've prepared ahead (maybe the day before when the kids were doing book basket), and have all your books and materials at hand, maybe even pages marked. And finally, I think the Hazells even used a marker board to write down questions the kids wanted to discuss, because with lots of kids, you just can't finish promptly if you go on tangents. But Trish is probably right, 4 hours might not be enough for all families and all age mixes.
albanyaloe wrote:I really would love to see examples of how different families do this "daily schedule" in four hours. Also, how do you juggle teaching the independent subjects and fitting in MFW. Our school year runs Jan-Dec and whilst we were coping last year, with a First grader, third grader and sixth grader this year, we don't get done anymore and we're feeling so frustrated.
In addition to the great replies you are getting here, there is some reading matter around the archives. For instance,
ECC and child learning to read http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6727
1st and an older program http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2713
Scheduling ECC http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3807
General scheduling, including Hazell white board http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3684
albanyaloe wrote:But at the moment I have one bored, angry 6 year old, who spends most her day... waiting.
I would avoid having a 6yo "wait." Doing nothing doesn't come naturally to most 6yos :) A lot of moms do K/1st at the start of the day (as Stephanie mentioned), and then invite the little learner to join in with olders. For times that doesn't work, you might rotate some special activities, or assign an older to tutor a younger, or have a "teacher's helper" even?
albanyaloe wrote:And a third grader who says,"Do I have to do this, it is too hard", with regards to MFW worksheets.
I'm curious what worksheets the 3rd grader is finding difficult. My ds basically didn't do any of the geography packet in 3rd grade. He also wouldn't have done the POE pages unless we did them as a family -- POE wasn't in the program back then, but instead he did notebooking pages on something he learned each day, which I think is still suggested in the manuals for younger students? Anyways, my *humble* opinion is that a 3rd grader doesn't need to do many worksheets on his own, because when my youngest did public school worksheets on his own in K-2, he wrote the craziest stuff that didn't make any sense :~
albanyaloe wrote:At least my sixth grader loves the MFW, but we are doing extra Singapore and do ILL four to five times a week as we are catching up.
Unless your 6th grader didn't do *anything* for English over the past few years, then I wouldn't have him "catch up" on ILL. I'd just start at the 6th grade section, and if you hit a bumpy spot, then I might look in the index for a previous lesson that might help him with that topic.
albanyaloe wrote: My children seem to dawdle over their work. I feel like I am constantly having to hover around so they keep at it or else they chat, stare out the window, begin to play, wander off...
Very common. I've been in plenty of public school classrooms with my older kids, and I used to tutor at an after-school site. Kids are generally drawn to the window, other kids, other interests. It might help to find ways for kids to "move while they work," such as sitting on a giant ball or squeezing on a ball, because that really does help some folks focus. I also think doing a lot of MFW as group work helps with that, and I even tried to sit near my student when he was reading or writing. Maybe I would read, or correct math, or whatever. But I do think focus is something we all need to work on most of our lives.

If being together didn't help and my kids still dawdled, one method I used was "homework." After a suitable time had passed, I would simply set the work aside to be completed "after school hours." In other words, it cuts into their free time later in the day, and must be done in a more solitary way at that point, since I have moved on with my day.

Another method I used was a list of activities to be done after school time was complete. I used to make a list of tasks to be completed and add some fun activities on there, as an incentive to finish up. Here is an old description of how this worked when I had a 3rd grader: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 1829#p9770

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

DS4home

How to use teacher's guide schedules - what do you do?

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:53 am

tiffanys wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:49 am
When looking at the weekly schedule in the teacher's guides, how do you use it? Last year we did Adventures, and since I had two students doing it, I copied the page twice, then made notes individually on each page. We are about to start ECC, and I am wondering if I want to go that route again, or just record for each of them IN the hard copy of the book. We don't live in a state where there is much oversight, so it just seems simplest that way. But, I plan to reuse it for another cycle with my younger two. Will it drive me crazy to come back to an already marked up book?

So here's my question - do you write directly in your book? Copy the pages to make individual records for each student? How do you make the most of those beautiful grid pages?
The first time through, I wrote in my book, in pencil. Now I'm on my second time through the cycle and I see the pros and cons of doing that.

PRO: I like all the extra notes I made referring to something I found on the internet or that I learned on this message board to enhance a lesson (ie: a cool library book title to add to book basket). That has made the second time easier, as in less research for those random times that I had extra time and interest to pursue something more.

CON: I don't necessarily like all the little check marks I made throughout the grid as I completed things. I am now erasing all the check marks at the start of each new week. And then I check everything off all over again as we complete it 8| So even though I don't like erasing, I'm not sure that I would change anything!

I have heard of others using colored pencil in their books and changing the color for the second time around. I could see that working well too.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

wbbeachbum

Re: How to use teacher's guide schedules - what do you do?

Unread post by wbbeachbum » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:21 pm

I have always copied the grid for each child. This year I found a post on Pinterest titled "How to use spiral notebooks to simplify your homeschool" ( or something like that ;) ).

Best thing ever! Each night, I write out each child's to-do list with a little box for them to check when complete. Each school day, they work through their list.

I keep is super simple. English L. 15 means that my 10 yo gets her English book and completes lesson 15. President card means each child goes to their history book, pulls out a sheet,and completes the next president card. They can even translate SOTW pg. 29 with ease. :-)
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09

Currently homeschooling 16yo ds, 13yo dd, 13 yo dd, & 7 yo dd.
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp1850, 1850MOD, AHL, & WHL

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

I've been doing the spiral notebook thing... My boys love checking stuff off their list.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

tiffanys

Unread post by tiffanys » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Thanks everyone! Funny - we have actually done the spiral notebook thing for about six months now, but I am SO tired of writing it out every night. Especially when so much is exactly the same from day to day. I know that in theory it really doesn't take that long to do for two kids, but it is just one more thing at the end of the day, and feels really redundant since I have the teacher's guide grid in front of me that I am in essence mostly copying from. (Granted, I was adding in a bit or tweaking stuff, but right now I need to just teach straight from the manual - that's MY teaching from rest for now!!) =)

I think what I'll do it just copy each grid page for each boy, then let our oldest be in charge of his own so that he can use it like his spiral notebook (just highlight his assignments to do independently each day). My younger son is only 2nd grade, so I'll just keep his for him until he asks for it.
Tiffany
Having a great year with Adventures with my two older boys - 3rd & 1st grades
With the world's chattiest 4 year old boy & his 2 year old sister tagging along

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:48 pm

One thing I do is write out everyones individual work for the week in my grid, in a different color. I love frixon erasable pens for this! Then I copy that grid in color and hand out to each kid! For my 7th grader part of his assingments are on a second page for the 7/8 supplement in ECC. So I copy that page, cut off the squares that pertain to him, and then tape them over the stuff that doesnt partain to him on his grid page. :)

Another way I plan assignments is to use a whiteboard. In wet erase marker I write every subject we will do for independent work. Then in dry erase I write everyones initials that need to do that task... we erase as we go. Like this

Notebook L B J L S
English/Writing L B J L
Spelling L B J L
Math L B J L
Xtra Math L B J L
Book Basket B J L S
Reading B J L
Spanish L B

So I kinda use two different systems depending on my mood and printer ink. LOL.

oh! And sometimes I use this...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A1Y ... sp=sharing
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

tiffanys

Unread post by tiffanys » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:43 pm

Thanks Joyhomeschool. I'm glad I'm not the only one that switches up my methods! =) I really love the blank document you made - seems like it may be a little simpler on the eyes for a child to look at.
Tiffany
Having a great year with Adventures with my two older boys - 3rd & 1st grades
With the world's chattiest 4 year old boy & his 2 year old sister tagging along