Back-to-School - Supporting one another at the start-of-year

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
705emily

Re: It's me again. Help!! Can't deal with him anymore

Unread post by 705emily » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:09 pm

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all you dear ladies (and Mike :) ) on this board! Just reading all of the kind and helpful responses makes me so happy to be a part of a network of people who (while we don't 'know' each other) can encourage, support, pray for, and yes--love one another! I find it so encouraging to read responses to so many topics here--and even though I might not be in exactly the same boat as the poster--I always find something to learn and glean from what is being shared! It is truly a blessing--and a bonus to using this wonderful curriculum!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

ilovemy4kids

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:36 am

No advice, just praying for you.

Different situation but, my now 14 year old, didn't do almost any writing till he was almost 12. Just couldn't seem to get the ability to use a pencil properly. He does now, but painfully slowly. He does most work by typing. We still require handwritten work to keep improving skills. He also didn't read much until age 10.

Sandra

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. (((Hugs))) The first year is not easy, and I can imagine that it's even harder when the child comes from public school. What I mean is this, public school children in our neighborhood tell me they want to homeschool. Their reasons - they think it's all about having fun and no work. Maybe your son had similar expectations. Maybe you could ask him what his expectations were (and if this has been addressed in the thread already, I'm sorry. No time to read all the answers in depth).

I would say though, that I hope you hang in there. Give it more time, lots more time. Maybe set a long range goal (six months, a year...?) so you won't be tempted to throw in the towel. God will continue to give you strength, and if you have a bad day today, it's okay. You get another chance tomorrow.

Not all subjects are going to be fun, but some school days certainly should have some fun in them. So if you haven't already, take a field trip, do school at the park, or in the backyard, anything that will allow you both to have a fun day so ds can see that there will be some fun or rewards. Even ps kids have field trips.

Wishing you the best. You are not a failure; you are a great Mom who loves her son enough to want the very best for him!
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

OklahomaJamie

Update on our school experience

Unread post by OklahomaJamie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:25 pm

We are still doing ECC and are in Week 6, Mexico. At the beginning of the school year, our pediatrician gave us a medication to try. We fought for weeks and I nearly quit teaching him and took him back to school every day. My husband said, "do you think it's that new medication?" I put him back on the other the next day. Wow! what a difference! We still have our days and times, but it's going tons better!!

We are both learning SOOO much! I love geography, and we both are doing great on the geography game! I never knew continents, countries, etc. I didn't know the difference. Thanks all of you for your prayers, and please continue to pray for us.

Blessings,
Jamie

Wife to Adam since '85
Our 3rd Year of Homeschooling!!
DS (12 years old)
DD (grown up & married with a family of her own)
Exploration to 1850 (what I'm looking into)
We did ECC first year homeschool