Testing - What standardized tests are out there?

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
s_duguid

Re: Achievement tests

Unread post by s_duguid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:28 am

angelsoup wrote: This is one I am looking at doing this year. It seems to be relatively easy to use and inexpensive.
http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/home/hmain.asp?h=1
This is the company my co-op uses. I used it for the first time last year (dd - 3rd grade.) The year before I had used CAT through Christian Liberty.

Overall, I really liked the way PASS tests, with no time limits, plus it customizes the level your child is on with pretests. I also REALLY liked the way they format their recommendations and analyze the data.

--Sue
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

ncmom2boys

what end of the year test?

Unread post by ncmom2boys » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Canoearoo wrote:In my state we are required by law to have the kids tested by a national test of some kind. What kind is up to you. What test would work best for MFW? My dd is in 1st grade. Will this test work for mfw for the rest of the school years?
I usually order the CAT from Familylearning.org. The folks there are so very friendly and wonderful!
ncmom2boys~Kim
Homeschooling mom since 2003 to 2 boys 11 & 12
Adventures
ECC

gratitude

Re: what end of the year test?

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:07 pm

We have to test too in our state.

Since my oldest ds is 7, and compulsory age is 8, I haven't had to start yet. I have gathered some information though from other moms.

Bob Jones University Press for home schoolers, http://www.bjupress.com, has sample tests for IOWA and Stanford. They also have the tests themselves to administer. My other understanding is that if you, or your husband, has a college degree you can get certified for administering the test yourself through BJU. I am planning on doing this.

In our state we don't have to report scores, so it is supposed to be informational and give us an idea of how our home school compares to the local public school system. I think it is different in each state.

I will be interested to hear what others have to say about how testing does with MFW.

I will add that my understanding is that the order math is taught in Singapore is different than the schools and does throw the math portion off some; I have also heard Math U See is taught in a different order. Further, I heard David Hazel on a CD mention that his children didn't learn grammar until after the time period it was given on the tests, so it was later when they tested well on that portion of the test.

I know I am not teaching to the tests, but I do plan to look at the samples ahead of time to have some idea of the questions my children will be reading.

Blessings.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:11 am

I would start with the CAT... Our state requires 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th grade testing. Up through 3rd grade, the students fill in the circle directly in the book, unlike the Iowa Basics. Also, it is a MUCH shorter test, time wise, than the Iowa. I will switch to the Iowa Basic Skills through BJU this next year.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:48 am

cbollin wrote:I can say that it is easy to become a certified tester through Bob Jones Univ. I'm not sure in MN if parent administered tests are ok or not to meet requirements. Wish we lived closer, I'd help :)
I've known MInnesotans who have administered their own tests, although I'm not sure if they were former school teachers. I know some places will only sell the tests to school teachers, but not sure about administration requirements. I think HSLDA might be helpful, too?

I also know folks in Minnesota who hire one-on-one private testers, which aren't always pencil tests - some are oral.

But we've always used "group testing" because my kids needed to be in an environment where "everybody's doing it." It's a sort of reverse peer pressure. I could envision their dragging on the floor telling me how terrible it was at home :~ We used Iowa basics in elementary/middle school, and the PSAT & PLAN for high school, all with groups. Most public schools will allow you to test with them, but I've so far used homeschool groups only.
TriciaMR wrote:I would start with the CAT... Our state requires 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th grade testing. Up through 3rd grade, the students fill in the circle directly in the book, unlike the Iowa Basics. Also, it is a MUCH shorter test, time wise, than the Iowa. I will switch to the Iowa Basic Skills through BJU this next year.
Trish, Iowa Basics starts with circles on a separate page in 3rd grade, as I recall. It did help to practice that skill for a day or two in advance.

I have heard that the CAT is shorter, which sometimes can be good (we're done already!) but sometimes can be not-so-good (there was only one question on that topic & I didn't remember it!).

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:28 pm

This will be the first year we are required to test in our state, so I haven't used this testing service yet, but I have a friend who has used it. It is Seton Testing Services. http://setontesting.com/

They provide the CAT test and do the scoring for only $25. You can administer it yourself and you can do it any time of the year, I think.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:26 am

We have to test every year, and I've always used the CAT. (and we've always used MFW as well) Works for us!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

booklovermom25

Unread post by booklovermom25 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:02 am

We have used the CAT test through Seton before, but this year I am considering using Christian Liberty Press's testing services. They have digitized the CAT test so you can do it right on the computer. The digitized version is $30 and the paper version is $25. Just another option. ;)

RuthAnn
Disciple of Christ
Wife to dh for 13 yrs.
Mom to 5 dc ages 12, 11, 9, 6, & 3
Starting MFW ECC in January!

LisaMarie6

Unread post by LisaMarie6 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:38 pm

We live in MN and I am certified through BJU to give the Iowa Test of Basic skills (ITBS). I test my own dc. I chose the Iowa over the Standford, because Standford requires that I test at least one other child per test level, that is not related to me. I didn't want to hunt up extra kids when we were ready to test, so I went with the ITBS.

It has been nice to test when we are ready and then get the scores to see what needs extra work. I usually test in the spring, though this last school year didn't get testing done until June.

BJU is very easy to work with and as long has you or your dh have at least a BA/BS it is easy to get certified as a tester. If you are wanting to make a little extra money (I'm not doing this so I know you can opt out) you can have your name listed with BJU, so people in your area will know you are certified and may call you to test their children.
LisaMarie wife to Nate for 15 years
Mom to 6 J's - ds12, dd9, dd6, ds5, dd3, dd1

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:38 pm

Canoearoo wrote:so all these test work well with the MFW curriculum?
yes.

Most standardized tests tend to be about skill based vs. "content based". So, usually a test will check for reading comprehension or math. And less on specifics on history or science that year. Sometimes there can be a weird question that might have "content", but that's rare.

are you familiar with how MFW approaches reading comprehension in elementary (narration), and not focusing on the terms of parts of speech, but using copywork and dictation and written summaries?
Math - should test fine with Singapore.

most testing -- look for progress over time instead of snap shot of that day.
Canoearoo wrote:yes my daughter loves copywork. she will do this for fun in her spare time. 1st grade doesn't use Singapore math
1st grade uses its own math and when that math is used as written, children are testing very well.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:56 pm

Yeah, the tests will be fine with any curriculum you use. We found more "content specific" questions in the Iowa test than the CAT, but maybe 3 questions total that really my dd had no idea how to answer. I don't think it would have mattered, at least at these lower grades, what curriculum we chose.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:23 pm

I don't know the requirements of your state so I can't answer if you have to test her. I chose to test my oldest starting in 3rd. We pay $50 and they take the test at our umbrella school with a class full of other homeschoolers. (They don't even test until 3rd in public school with standardized tests) I didn't test my 1st grader and I won't test her this year in 2nd either. I think I would be wasting $50 because I know what she knows!

About MFW...she will do fine. Mine tested 7th grade in 3rd. Now...they didn't ask capitals or anything specific to our year. It makes you want to write a note saying "She knows all her states and capitals, too!" HA HA. So...if it doesn't come back exactly like you would like, you know that everything she knows was NOT covered. Don't beat yourself up too hard...they don't know what you have been doing. But I found it was more general stuff. I remember mine got in the car and said "Mom...I had to look at pictures of 3 skulls and tell them which was the carnivore." She wasn't sure she got it right until I told her to look at the teeth. She said that was the one she picked..(but it was a wild guess). So there might be some stuff like that but trust me, she will do fine.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

gratitude

testing

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:55 pm

3homies wrote:Looking for advice on an end of year test that is similar to the CAT/5...heard they were discontinuing...any ideas or recommendations from personal use?
I have not used the CAT/5. We do use the Iowa Basic that I am able to administer through Bob Jones University. So far it seems very typical of standardized tests.

cbollin

Re: testing

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:50 am

There are a lot of options.

I'd encourage you to check HSLDA website on testing
http://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Testing.asp

You might try Seton Home Study (unless you live in Indiana, they say on their website they can't ship there). But Seton is still selling CAT.
http://www.setontesting.com/

On hslda site, this company (Pedimont Educational) is still using CAT
http://www.pesdirect.com/Products/CAT5.html

and you could check into this one
http://www.familylearning.org/testing.html

There are lots of options. click around on hslda site for more.

I'm one of those who filled in the paperwork for BJU tester, so I go through them for Stanford 10. I've also been happy with Seton for CAT survey for my own children.
Last edited by cbollin on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schelean

Re: testing

Unread post by schelean » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:02 am

Christian Liberty Press also offers testing for parents at home. I don't know their website off hand but is easy to Google. There are different versions of a few different tests. I have used them in the past.
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6