Foreign Language - Rosetta Stone age to begin? Tips for younger users

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
BHelf

When to pick a language?

Unread post by BHelf » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:06 am

samandsawyersmom wrote:I am not close to doing this for my son but I think that my sister in law is also going to be comming over to MFW. :-) When is the best time to start studying a foreign language? How long is average? I know in public highschool here I only took 2yrs but could have taken 4 if I wanted to so I am just wondering! :)
Thanks! :-)
Stacey
I did a little research in college (don't remember sources and exact info) and the best time to start studying is before age 10, but the younger, the better. The reason is because we are born with the ability to speak any language (with exceptions--I do understand there are speech issues and other issues to consider) and our brains adjust those physical capabilities to the language being spoken all around us. We will slowly lose those abilities as we age. Some languages require the slurring of "r's" for example and the older you are, the less likely you are to be able to do that if you never had to at a young age.
All studies show that it is much easier to pick up and become fluent in a second language in the preschool or early elementary years. Why public schools start is high school is beyond me. :)

I'm sure someone will come along that can explain this a little better. :)
Brooke

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:49 am by BHelf
The best time to learn a foreign language: the earlier, the better.

The older you get, the more your brain loses the ability to easily pick up languages and the different sounds other languages make. Think of being able to roll your r's in Spanish or another language. You are born with the ability to make any and all sounds in any language. But it can be one of those "use it or lose it" kind of deals. If you don't use those sounds, your brain loses the ability to make those sounds.

Anyways, my vote on the language thing is Start Now! :) You will be amazed at how fast your newest little one will learn english. Starting your other ones in French will make it so much easier for them to learn it better/faster/easier. :)

Brooke ;)
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

Julie in MN

Re: When to pick a language?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:08 am

Brooke,
I've heard David Hazell say that, too. I think he said by 2nd grade at the latest. And the Hazell kids lived in Russia for many years, so I'm sure they have personal experience.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:24 am

sooner the better?

But, at the same time that doesn't mean you have to rush out and buy Rosetta Stone either. ;)

With youngest children, the question can be more of "what second language to introduce?" Choose a language that is either common in your community (Spanish, French), or has some kind of connection with your family. Do you have a German last name? How about learning some German. The Hazells were going to Russia - they learned Russian. Do you live on North Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago - learn some Polish then. My friends who are serving as missionaries in some country somewhere that I can't say, got kiswahili.

Even my extremely language delayed child (with autism) was able to know some Spanish from watching Dora the Explorer. She got interested in a little bit of French from watching French audio and subtitles on a few kids videos. And, at age 8, enjoys watching a Portuguese audio version of an episode of Calliou. and right now only seems to respond to our warning to slow down the rolling chair across the laminate floor in the kitchen when we call out the words in Italian musical terms. (thanks Little Einsteins) and yes, I'm supposed to take her to speech therapy in English today.

So, it can fun and easily done with preschoolers. Turn on the DVD audio/subtitles, or secondary audio on TV shows. Look for bilingual story times at your local library children's department.

Then, as they get older and begin to tell you things like "mom, I want to learn Russian." then you pick Russian. or "mom, I want to go to China and tell the muslim people in China that Jesus loves them." Well, that's when you pick Chinese. and to think my hubby and I used to ask if we were going to offer Spanish or French for our kids and weren't sure which one.

-crystal

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:21 am

samandsawyersmom wrote:Thank you Brooke, Julie and Crystal,

I sort of knew that but still have the public school, around here at least, mind set that foreign language does not start until high school. So Crystal what you are saying just let them hear it with videos and stuff now in the younger yrs, mine are going to be starting k and 3yrs, and they can also do several languages before they decide on one in highschool to study? :~ Thanks you guys are such help!! I am so excited about all the info out there that I feel like I can really push my son too fast, so I just want to know how to do some of this "easy" for him. I keep telling myself he doesn't have to graduate highschool next week just slow down! :-) Thanks again
Stacey
let me try to bullet point and hopefully someone else will answer.

*i like rosetta stone. I used in elementary with my kids. own English (for my autistic kid), Russian, and Chinese. So, clearly I like RS and am willing to shell out money for it. even use it in years prior to high school.
*I like less formal routes in young years so that learning another language remains fun. videos. library programs, listening to music, fun stuff.
*in ECC you'll get an opportunity to give them a sampler of several languages around the world. You never know what they will be self motivated to learn.
*if it gets to be high school and you don't have a self motivated student, you might have to pick one for them.

You're right. they don't graduate high school for a long time. so don't make "foreign language" an "academic HAVE TO". instead let it be a "we get to"
ElizabethC wrote:How often during the week do you do your language? I wasn't sure if we need to do Spanish daily or just a few days a week... :)
My oldest is doing language for high school credit, so she does something daily on most weeks. depends on the goal with your child 3-4 times a week can be fine in jr. high

-crystal

BHelf

Foreign language in ADV 2nd grade?

Unread post by BHelf » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 pm

DaddyOfTwo wrote:Just curious . . . has anyone taught the Rosetta Stone foreign language for a 6yo in the ADV year? The only place I see this listed is in the sample lesson (pdf file) on the Adventures curriculum description. No more detail than that. Thanks for the help.
I haven't but only for 2 reasons: I can't afford Rosetta Stone and even if I could, they don't offer the language God wants us to learn--Latvian. :)

The earlier they begin to learn a language, though, the better and easier it is to learn. At 6 years old, if you didn't want to require the work that Rosetta Stone does (which honestly I'm sure not sure what that is) you can always find other ways to incorporate foreign language into your studies. If you're studying Spanish for French, a lot of dvd's offer a language selection which typically includes spanish and french. So they can watch a movie they know every word to (haha) but watch it in another language. My kids started doing this for fun about a year ago. LOL

I know other people will have other ideas as well.
Brooke
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

Poohbee

Re: Foreign language in ADV 2nd grade?

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 pm

We have yet to purchase Rosetta Stone, but we have incorporated foreign language each of our years using other resources. So far, my main resources for Spanish have been The Complete Book of Spanish and Jumpstart Spanish on the computer. My kids have learned a lot of basic Spanish from those, and they absolutely love Jumpstart Spanish because it is so much fun! I would also love to teach (and learn along with them) sign language, but I haven't tackled that yet.

I'm not really answering your question about using Rosetta Stone in Adv, but I thought I'd give you some other ideas. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

lisaha

Unread post by lisaha » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:08 am

I did Adventures last year with a 6 and 8 year old. I did not do for. language. I'm going to wait on it unless I find a cheap, fun computer game. I figure there is enough for them to learn and for. language is not a requirement for thier ages.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 am

I'm thinking Irmi (705Emily on her screen name) used Rosetta Stone (or at least something for foreign language) with a 6 y.o who was in MFW 1st grade.

I know my children have used RS at that age, but they weren't in ADV. It's almost like just a fun computer game for them at that age. I've also used thinking like Jump Start languages, and done library programs for children. Used audio CD from Children's section of Library (Teach Me <lang. name> from Judy Mahoney), was a favorite fun one for us.

Turn on secondary audio tracks. My youngest finds favorite clips of TV shows in other languages. (anyone up for the Barney Song in Hebrew? or Calliou episodes in Portuguese?)

You can use Rosetta Stone with many age groupings. In 2nd grade age, you'd use the curriculum path called "speaking and listening". Or you can use other less formal resources for introducing a foreign language in 2nd grade. My kids used the old version 2 demo disk of RS to play with foreign languages in ECC. That option is not really around now, but that was the big use of RS as foreign language for us back when oldest was 2nd/3rd grade age and others were younger. I had the demo disk because I bought RS in English for my children who were severely delayed in speaking English due to their special needs diagnoses.

Then, when oldest was about 6th grade, she told me she wanted to learn Russian, so that's when we got RS in Russian.

If you aren't ready for the $$$ with RS until you know which language your child is self motivated to learn more, or have reached high school (whichever is first) and say "ok, you're doing this one", then at least in the Foreign Language time slot consider the idea of adding in fun ways to learn another language and introduce new languages to your family. You can keep it to about 15 minute time slot in the manual. I am very fond of RS and like it a lot. I'm not a big fan of the price until needing high school credit, then it's fine. Oh yeah, my middle gal is using RS Chinese and we got that for her when she was in 4th or 5th grade. So, I'll shell out the money for it.

Do you have specific questions about how to use RS or why MFW recommends it? I really like the ease of use. My kids aren't scared of doing it wrong. Uses immersion methods. good stuff.

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:38 am

I haven't used a foreign language yet, but I am considering it. Rosetta Stone looks pricey, but extremely good. The initial level 1 sets though are closer to $200. They do have a demo on their web site about the program.

We will be switching from Grade 1 to Adv. around January, and I am considering starting foreign language at that point.

I stopped by the Rosetta Stone booth at the convention this year. The man of course recommended starting earlier, rather than later. He thought it would work for my dd3.

As for language. I rather go with their interest, but given the bilingual element in stores, etc. at this point I think Spanish would be a good place to start. My oldest ds is very interested in designing and building, and if he ever really goes that direction Spanish would be very helpful to him on a worksite; whether he was the architect or worker.

My kids have very little screen time, so it would also be a treat for them in their eyes.

I look forward to seeing the answers you get too!

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:15 pm by gratitude
My ds8 is enjoying Rosetta Stone Spanish very much. He really likes it. It is a program that is easy for him to navigate on his own; which is good since I took French in school. There are boxes for it on the ADV grid/schedule that we check off. He also sometimes does it on his own on days that we aren't doing school, since it is something he enjoys doing and it doesn't count towards his 15 minute a day computer time ( ;) ).

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:05 pm

I got to ask David Hazell about Rosetta Stone at our convention. He said starting at around 8yo doing speaking and listening is good. Make it fun and easy - turn off typing, turn voice recognition to least sensitive level, etc. Students don't start "doing" Rosetta Stone until they're ready for High School credit, but you can get through the program on an easy level first. (like doing 2 cycles of it)

I purchased RS Spanish 2 years ago and we have not done too much with it yet. My dd is 8yo now, so we will start having her do the "speaking and listening" 3 days per week and see how it goes. She knows a lot of Spanish words from fun cartoons and books.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

DaddyOfTwo

Unread post by DaddyOfTwo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:09 pm

Everyone, thank you so much for your responses. This message board is excellent, and it is all because of helpful friends like you.
Casey (principal) married to Michele (teacher)
DD-6 in ADV
DD-4 joining in from time to time
San Antonio, TX

Julie in MN

foreign language ... what do you recommend?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:37 am

erin.kate wrote:Now, is Rosetta scheduled at all in the TGs? If so, at what year/program?
Yes, to the extent that the grid has a box to remind you to do foreign language each day. Every family, or even every child, will be at a different spot for that.

cbollin

Re: foreign language ... what do you recommend?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:49 am

erin.kate wrote:Now, is Rosetta scheduled at all in the TGs? If so, at what year/program?
At elementary levels, just use the program for 15 minutes when scheduled on the grid. In version 3 of RS (currently selling one), there are "curriculum paths" to take. Youngest children do the "speaking/listening path". Upper elementary can do the "speaking/listening and reading path". Then by high school you do the full program plus extras in the plans.

-crystal

cbollin

Re: foreign language ... what do you recommend?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:28 am

chris629 wrote:This may be a silly question but is it pretty easy to learn, yourself, if you've never taken one? I never took a foreign language in high school, had no desire. Now I think it would be pretty neat to speak another language. I was also thinking of Hawaiian since my husband is part hawaiian, so it would be pretty cool if the boys could talk to their papa in hawaiian.
Not a silly question at all.

It will depend on how willing you are to make mistakes and laugh at yourself along the way. I have found that I picked up a lot from Rosetta Stone watching my girls in Russian and Chinese. it clicks with my style of learning. Neither of those are Romance Languages. I learned a little bit of French in high school and took Italian in college. Both of those are romance languages. oh yeah, I forgot, I had to learn some Spanish in Chicago because I was the white girl in a Puerto Rican congregation. I found myself the other day saying something I learned at church in spanish... oh well... didn't' even realize it either. LOL

When you get to ECC in the MFW sequence, you'll learn about missionaries in their adult lives who learned new languages for the first time.

In terms of papa teaching the boys -- that can be done very informally by him talking to them. Pick a supper night and have it be language night.

-crystal
chris629 wrote:Oh Crystal I so wish they could talk to their papa that easily. Maybe I can make a weekly phone call out of it for them to talk and teach each other. I would love to learn new languages so I think this will be fun.

So much to learn from you girls, thanks for letting me ask my questions on here.

Julie in MN

MFW K/Rosetta Stone ?? too

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:22 pm

4littlehearts wrote:What is the benefit of using Rosetta Stone? Can you convince me as to why it is superior? I am tempted to buy Tell Me More, because of the lower price tag and the fact that you can resell it, unlike RS. But if RS is better than I am willing to pay that price.
About Rosetta, it's usually recommended for 2nd graders and up, probably due to the reading components. I can't remember if you have a 2nd grader at your house yet?
Julie

cbollin

Re: MFW K/Rosetta Stone ?? too

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:32 pm

I use RS. Tried demo of both.. RS is what I wanted, so that's why it's "superior" for my family. LOL LOL I just like RS set up and style a lot better for a wider range of my family's needs and I have a student who wanted to study a language that wasn't available from TMM.

Here are differences that I found between RS and TMM. (now granted... I only used TMM demos compared to using RS fully.. so filter for that lack of knowledge)

The older version TMM seemed to assume that you had at least a semester of the language already. When I was deciding between the two, that was a big factor. TMM has revised that and now has a "true beginner" level.

Once past the true beginner stage in the new edition....The topics of conversation in TMM seemed really good for upper high school level and young adult. I saw a lot of business talk and vacation talk. I would have liked TMM when I was in college. RS - wider range of talking topics and easier to use with wider variety of ages.

TMM -people like that it has more obvious worksheets built into the program for grammar, etc. and they like the translation options. The grammar explanations are written with an assumption of high school grammar in English to understand.

Other things that I didn't like as much - I didn't like the TMM dictation speed and all of that. I like how in the MFW lesson plans how dictation is done in RS with audio companion CD. Drawing pics, and or writing it down.

TMM just seems more appropriate for last 2 years of high school or college or business needs. RS seems more for many other ages. MFW includes some lesson plans to add in those year 1 high school things to RS to round it out. RS engaged my family longer.

If I had a student in high school who already had 1 year of foreign language, and knew she was going into a profession where she'd be working very soon in an bilingual setting or high potential for it (especially at doctor's office, or working in international business, etc with lots of options), I'd buy TMM for year 2 or 3 of high school foreign language. Plenty of practice with "taking appointments" and "taxi rides" and how to present your business meeting information. I can see using TMM for that at the right age. Or a travel agent too. The sections on renting a villa and all of that.... good stuff.

and like I said... I've only used the demo.. so maybe the demo doesn't show everything. so filter for that from my answer.

and of course.. mileage will vary.. .I know there are lots of happy TMM who disagree with everything I said :) hope they chime in too. everyone is different and all of that. But I'm guessing a lot of those reasons went into MFW's decision to pick RS over TMM. ages to use it, many languages. don't overspend your budget.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: MFW K/Rosetta Stone ?? too

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:38 pm

We were able to try both RS and TMM over the library system. TMM assumes a certain level of understanding already on the language. I had 2 years Spanish in High School and 1 year in college, and that seemed just about right to be starting TMM. RS starts at the very beginning (and, as they say in "The Sound of Music" - that's a very good place to start ;) ). It doesn't assume you know anything.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

TriciaMR

What ages are the Rosetta Stone levels for?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:47 am

weareborgswife wrote:My daughter is 7 and really wants to learn another language- ever since she could pick out her own CD's (age 2.5) at the library she seems to have been drawn to other languages- 80% of the time she would end up with a CD in a language other than English. She has asked that she could learn Spanish or Chinese - I took Spanish in junior high and high school so leaning towards it (although Chinese is her first pick).

I have looked into Rosetta Stone multiple times, but get confused trying to figure out if we got level 1 how long would it last us? Kids are ages 7, 9, and almost 4. Price-wise the 1-5 sets is a much better deal, but would I be buying things we wouldn't use for a long time at this point? I know they keep upgrading things, so would it be best to use level 1 for the next couple of years and then move up? Thoughts appreciated!
I wouldn't tie the ages to levels. Just as you learn English and gradually get more proficient, same thing with rosetta stone. In your case, just get level one. First time through, do just listening (you can turn off the speaking part). Then, next time through add the speaking part, and then the reading part. Just gradually make it more challenging.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Re: What ages are the Rosetta Stone levels for?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:41 am

agreeing with trish.. level 1 is good for right now.

wanted to also suggest glancing through the RS lesson planner sampler to see what we mean on the curriculum paths for various ages
http://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/ ... sample.pdf

weareborgswife

Re: What ages are the Rosetta Stone levels for?

Unread post by weareborgswife » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:27 am

Awesome thanks so much!

CindyLou

Foreign Language - when did you start?

Unread post by CindyLou » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm about to push the order button, but had a few lingering questions. This question concerns foreign language (specifically, Spanish, South America).

What age did your children begin foreign language? We're going to be doing MFW Adventures soon (both my DD and DS are 8 years old), and thought maybe it best to wait until NEXT year when we're studying MFW ECC. But maybe we should get a head start and begin THIS year? Let them tinker around with it, get use to it, nothing formal, more to play around with this year (and maybe I can use it to review my own spanish this year so I can actually try to help them next year!). Your thoughts? Thank you!

TriciaMR

Foreign Language - when did you start?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:30 pm

CindyLou wrote:What age did your children begin foreign language? We're going to be doing MFW Adventures soon (both my DD and DS are 8 years old), and thought maybe it best to wait until NEXT year when we're studying MFW ECC. But maybe we should get a head start and begin THIS year? Let them tinker around with it, get use to it, nothing formal, more to play around with this year (and maybe I can use it to review my own spanish this year so I can actually try to help them next year!). Your thoughts? Thank you!
My oldest began Spanish in K (back then we did Power Glide - the old version) and we did that through 3rd. Then for 4 & 5th she did The Easy Spanish. In 6th we started Rosetta Stone.

My younger two started Spanish in 2nd with Rosetta Stone.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MelissaB

Re: Foreign Language - when did you start?

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi, Cindy,

Our oldest dd started Rosetta Stone Mandarin Chinese in 3rd grade and really took off.

Our youngest dd started Mandarin in 1st (age 6). She's picking up on words here and there, and enjoys the program, but is not learning at the same rate of speed as her older sister.

However- both girls know about 100 words in sign language. We used the Signing Time videos from our local library (free!). Watching one video a week, by the end of two years they could have basic conversations with people who are hearing impaired in public. It's pretty cool! ;)

Enjoy summer!
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Poohbee

Re: Foreign Language - when did you start?

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:00 pm

One thing to consider...in ECC, with each country you study, you do a mini study of the language in the A Trip Around the World Books. You explore some words in the native language of that country. So, for ECC, we just used that as our language study...a brief exploration of different languages. Interestingly, I think it was the exploration of countries in ECC that lead my eldest dd to choose Russian as the language she'd like to learn. Since I am familiar with Spanish, I taught her Spanish using The Complete Book of Spanish and JumpStart Spanish on the computer in K, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades. We did the language exploration in ECC. During our study of Russia in ECC, my dd was interested in the country and the language.

My dh and I let her choose the language she wanted to study using Rosetta Stone, and she chose Russian. So, this past school year, as a 5th grader, she studied Russian using Rosetta Stone. She has thoroughly enjoyed learning Russian using Rosetta Stone. It is one of her favorite subjects to study during our school time. I did the same Spanish plan with my middle dd, using those 2 resources I mentioned in K and 1st. Seeing her sister use Rosetta Stone, though, she has taken an interest in learning a different language, and for some reason, she has picked German. So, we will be purchasing Rosetta Stone German for her to start learning next school year, when she is a 2nd grader.

That's just our experience. I wanted to let you know about the language exploration in ECC in case you want to take that into consideration for next year. You can probably get resources to expand on that little bit of language study for each country. Surely, though, they say kids learn a new language best when they are younger. MFW has some great prices for Rosetta Stone right now on their website, and we have found Rosetta Stone to be a fantastic way to learn a language. So, you could certainly have your kids start Spanish during Adv if you so choose. Whether you start next year or wait, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Yodergoat

Foreign Language?

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:07 pm

CaseyVG wrote:Next year I will have a 2nd grader in Adventures and a Kindy. I noticed that for 2nd grade, they mention that you can start a foreign language. How many of you have started a foreign language this early? What language are you doing? and Why? And then I also noticed that they have two Spanish, Latin America and Spain... Which is better? My husband thinks we should wait several years before starting, and I'm not sure he cares even then. I would like them to learn Spanish because there's a higher potential to be useful. (I took 5 years of French and never used it). I've heard it's easier for them to start it early... I'd love to hear your experiences.

One more question. How long does it take to get through one level? Is it 1 year, or longer?
I am wondering this also, as I have a daughter who will start Adventures for second grade in the summer (probably). I think I would like for Gail to learn Spanish, but I'm unsure when to start it.

I do know that the Korean folk song and the German phrases I learned as a child have stuck in my head better than many of the things I learned in high school, so it makes me think that the younger, the better.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!