Independence - Assigning more work to do independently

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
TriciaMR

I thought it could be more independent

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:57 pm

HeyChelle wrote:I love that it is Bible based and the content. But I thought it would be an easier curriculum for me to deal with. We have homeshcooled from the beginning, but my dd-8 has allowed me to be a very hands-off teacher. She is smart, self-motivated, and works well independently. I can give her an assignment and she goes off and completes it, then brings it back for review.

I guess I feel like I can't teach her all the history b/c it is more teacher-driven and requires we actually sit down together? But why do I have to do it that way? (Thinking out loud here!!) What if I just give her the teachers manual and tell her to do it all on her own? lol - I'm sure that didn't come off sounding the way I want it to. I'm 'here' with her all day and she does most of her work in the kitchen. So I'm there, just not sitting beside her holding her hand and leading the lessons. The moment I sit down with her the littles pounce on us. And again, she actually works better independently. I could schedule the days work and make sure we get to the library as needed, or buy whatever books she needs, but then just let her lead herself through the history and basically through the teacher's manual?

I was hoping someone could help me flush out my issues. Either we need to adapt MFW to meet our needs, conquer these issues and move forward with MFW, or ditch it for something that would fit better. Appreciate the help!!!
Chelle,

1. Rejoice that you have an independent kid. Yay! I only wish. My oldest can do some things, but she needs me with her for much of the day. (I have a 4 year gap between her and my twins - she's in 5th, boys in 1st (6 yo).

2. As you get into CTG/RTR/etc. you won't want to just "hand over" Bible and history to your dd [with any program]. While my dd would be perfectly capable of doing the readings, I wouldn't want to just let her read those with out me asking questions and us discussing the topics (ancient Egyptian gods, Roman gods, Islam). My dd really struggled spiritually with some of those things, and it was good I was there.

So, maybe with Adventures and a mature/advanced 8 yo, you can hand over a lot of it for her to take care of. But, as you get into the rest of the cycle, realize that the younger ones will join in, and that you're going to want to be going through Bible and history with her to guide her through those topics. And maybe at this time of life it is okay. (And if your 5 yo isn't ready to sit still, wait until 6 to start K.)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: I thought it could be more independent

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:20 pm

TriciaMR wrote: you're going to want to be going through Bible and history with her to guide her through those topics.
For me, this is key. I don't want my kids to learn about the history of God's restoration of His kingdom just from a book author. I don't want their young minds to think that true wisdom is what an 8yo gleans from a book.

I know life can get busy sometimes, and I don't always have time to teach the way I really want to. With my oldest two, public school took too much of their day; with my youngest, some medical issues take up my time.

But I do know that the way I really *want* to teach is by guiding my children. I want to guide them to start their day by opening their Bible. I want to guide them to know that all knowledge can be interpreted from different viewpoints, and that one of those viewpoints is God's. I guess I want to teach my kids a lot of things, and organize it all in their mind in a way that has meaning. I am so happy I have the opportunity to do that with homeschooling, at least most of the time ;)

Not sure if this is what drew you to MFW, but *I* love using MFW because it involves me in teaching my children, rather than in only doing their laundry or scheduling their events or planning their schoolwork, like I used to feel.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

beastgal

Unread post by beastgal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 pm

HeyChelle wrote:I have a 12yo step-dd here half the time, 5yo, and 3 yo. The 5 and 3 yo don't really prevent us from doing school, but life is just busy! Between cooking 3 meals a day (kids with food allergies), running a home and homeschool, it's just hard to find time to sit for any length of time with every child. My 5yo will need me to sit on him so he can stay focused long enough to finish school. lol My 3 yo will be as independent as my 8yo, for sure. We are gone 2 afternoons a week for gymnastics, but try to be home M-F for school during the day.

dd-8 is a super fast reader. For example: she read the full classic The Secret Garden in 2 days. We do Bible at lunch, I read aloud while they eat then we talk through the daily reading. She reads independently - then we talk about it.

Julie - I think I want to do more guiding like you posted about. I'm not concerned about Bible stuff, because I think I have a grip on that. But think it's not realistic to sit down for 45 min daily on one subject with one child. I don't know. I need to go pray about this. Thanks for listening and commenting everyone.
Curious ... what is taking too much time? We are in Adventures now and History is our favorite part! It does not take us near 45 minutes to complete.

Could you do the reading parts at one time and the hands on parts at another time in the day? My 3 year old does all of the hands on with us weather it is science or history, so maybe they others would enjoy that???

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Chelle,
Also wondering -- where were you using those 45 minutes?

Anyways, I have used a ton of different curriculums, and I have *never* seen one as organized as MFW. Every single subject, five days a week, is organized onto one page. You do not need separate manuals for 10 different subjects. You do not need to comb through dozens of pages in order to plan your day. If you use all of MFW recommendations, you will even have exact lessons for English and math to plug into that one page.

I have a very complex life sometimes, and I have only to glance at one page in order to review what exactly we should do, or to decide what exactly I want to leave out or sub. It's brilliant!

It seems like you need to carve out what part of your day you can dedicate to teaching and what your goals look like. And at that point of course different things will make more sense to different people. It sounds like you'd rather just make johnny cake on random days or have your dd choose her own history readings, rather than follow a unit study that ties it all together chronologically? You'd rather have dd write book reports than create a history notebook? You love your Bible study and your free experiments, rather than studying the names of Jesus and tying them into science this year? You don't have time to study art, music, or hands-on projects? Everyone is different.
Julie - I think I want to do more guiding like you posted about.
Guidance to me means leading my children through these types of things in an organized, chronological way like MFW uses, and sharing insight that only an experienced adult can add (rather than a child knowing what to glean on their own, which I tried). To me, it means pulling in the poem or the patriotic song alongside the read-aloud, to help it all seem less random. But, guidance to you might mean just using the system you already have in place.

I'd love to "help you like MFW" but maybe you just need to think through what you want help with?!
Julie

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:40 am

Is there something specific that's making it difficult for you? I would *think* based on what you said that copying the grid and handing that to your dd, saying "this is what needs to get done this week" would be helpful. I'm sorry I'm so confused - I think I'm not reading something right.

When we did ADV, we spent about 10-15 minutes per day on History. And it was PLENTY. My dd has great recollection 2 years later, due I'm sure to the notebooking. Plus, the book basket books are great -- but they are a separate thing that are meant for your dd to read independently. (Maybe while you're working with the K'er?)

I hope this is helping with your decision a little. Please keep asking questions if there's something we're not understanding.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:28 am

I'm using MFW K for the 2nd time - we really like it and find it not difficult or time-consuming to implement; what's hanging you up there? Possibly listening to David Hazell's cd on how to keep preschoolers busy during school time would help a bit with ideas and such. It helped to reenergize me a bit, even though I don't actually have a preschooler right now. Some of the ideas were great to keep in mind for my k'er and to remember for my toddler who will be a preschooler way too soon. Maybe there is some way to combine your kids to do the science from one of the programs together? I mean, pick either Adv or K and have your 8yo help your K kid set up and carry out the experiment?

There have been many, many, many times I have wished someone could come over and hold/entertain/care for the baby so I could get some school done. HUGS. Totally get that. Likewise for the 5yo - when he's done with school, he's often just.... disruptive. I'm still working on our schedule, routine, making sure I have a list of appropriate activities for him to do so that I can teach my 4th grader.

As far as laundry, etc. goes - I have honestly just stopped trying to do housework in the mornings, during schooltime. It's too hard. Occasionally, I'll throw in a load of laundry, but mostly I save housework for afternoons. I'm working on getting the kids more regular, scheduled chores; because they seem to do better when they just know exactly what's expected.

Ok, they've all invaded, and now I can't think of what else I wanted to say. (Why am I going without coffee?!)

Keep asking, maybe it will all come clearer for everyone so we can figure out how to help!
:)
Melissa
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:46 pm

We didn't start using MFW until my daughter (oldest) was 10. Up until then, we just used a hodge-podge of materials in addition to math and language arts. The year or so before that I was starting to feel like we weren't covering enough subjects, that Bible wasn't integrated into our schooling, and that I might be leaving some gaps in their education. I wanted to offer more, but didn't feel like I could piece it all together. That's when we discovered MFW. It provided the scope and sequence, plus the structure I was craving at that point. I wouldn't call it rigid- just organized and well thought out.

It could be for the early years that you just kind of prefer doing your own thing. MFW might be something you might appreciate in a later season. I will have to say that you might not get that warm, fuzzy feeling you're wanting if you use it only as an independent program. We have seasons where we have had to do that, and it is not the same. I think it still gets the job done, but the family dynamic and spiritual element suffers during those seasons- I'm sure retention of facts suffers as well, but facts are not what I love about their curriculum.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

asheslawson

Assignment board? Good, bad or neutral??

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:41 pm

My son is a first year homeschooler, age 10, and would be in 4th in PS. I cannot wait for school time everyday - he's not quite to that point, but he is resisting much less.

I was blessed with a gift from a teacher at our church that cleaned out her classroom. It was a fabric wallhanger with clear pockets to hold long, laminated strips. I write on each strip the subject...followed by each assignment within that subject that can be done independently. This leaves me from having to stop every few minutes while teaching my younger child or handling my at home job to get his next assignment. It also seems to keep him less grumbly since he can see everything he needs to do for the week at a glance & even work ahead if he chooses. It also stopped the problem of him slipping quietly to his room to play when I couldn't get right to him between assignments. He is provided a dry erase marker to check off the assignments as they are completed. If I want them to be done on a specified day - I just mark the day that I want him to do it on (such as "Geography from A-Z" is marked 'F' for Friday).

Our schedule is like this:
  • First: Bible & read-aloud time first thing as a family,
    Second: work on a few items I need to be a part of, such as math drills or dictation,
    Next: he works from the chart, marking off each assignment and placing it in a folder on my desk as he completes it,
    Lastly: we get back together to review his completed work, work on activities that I will need to teach and should not be done independently and/or do art, science, geography projects.
I thought I'd put it out there in case I'm doing something that will be counterproductive later. It seems to be such a good fit for him. (He is a lot like me and needs to see what he is trying to accomplish in order to work more calmly.) I work better on a 'soft' schedule without trying to watch the clock. We just start school at about the same time, take the time we need to complete activities with breaks if needed, and end school when we are done.

Thanks for your pointers - I find so many reasons on these boards that something is a good idea or that if it's not, why it would not be recommended. Sincerely, Ashley
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

DS4home

Re: Assignment board? Good, bad or neutral??

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:18 am

I think you have come upon a very good system that works for you !! Way to go !!

I do something very similar, only on paper. I write out assignments that can be done independently for each subject, and they check them off when they complete it. Our day flows very much in the same way that you describe yours, and it works very well for the kids to see what is expected for the day, and to stay on task ( mostly :~ ).

It sounds like you have had a good and productive first year of homeschooling. It can be a bit of a learning curve for both mom and child, but so, so rewarding! Good Job :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:47 am

Sounds perfect for you. I have stuff for my dd to do independently, too, while I work with my twins. I print out a list and put it in a manilla folder with any papers she needs. She doesn't "work ahead," but it keeps her on task.

I say use whatever works.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks for the responses...& Trish - my son doesn't often work ahead willingly either - haha...but if we have something to do that will decrease our time at home that week - I will tell him he needs to & he is able to pick what assignments to tackle first & see them checked off when done. My dry erase strips are hanging in their hanger right above his desk so it is very visible to him - and he seems to like seeing his week to pace himself.

Thanks for the input - just wanted to make sure I wasn't teaching him to work in a way that would not help him down the road (such as being patient while waiting for instructions when I am tied up). However - since I teach his sister & work from home - we encounter frequent interruptions. That is how the idea was born for us - I didn't feel like it was fair for him to have to be patient for quite a while & if he slipped off to his room or outside to play - he completely lost focus. I really appreciate this board for getting help with what may seem trivial - but it sure is nice to run ideas by other homeschoolers to see what you guys think!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

niki

Unread post by niki » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:30 pm

I have the same idea. My kids each have a specific checklist to keep them on task when I am working with someone else. It helps them stay focused and take responsiblity for some of their work. They love it, and it has alleviated some power struggles because they do it in whatever order works for them, I dont have to nag...they just have to check their list :) when it's done they are done!!
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

marsha617

Unread post by marsha617 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:52 am

I am praying my older kids will be more independent next year. It's getting there. :) A couple of times recently, I did give them a list of 3 things to do on the white board. They remained quiet and focused!! There is something to it. So I think I'm going run with that while I work with my K and PreK kids.

Marsha
Andrew 10
Nathan 8
Ryan 5
Josh 2
Yes, we have ALL boys. Life is fun and always interesting!
MFW since 2008; CTG this coming school yr.

705emily

Unread post by 705emily » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Sounds like you have a great method that is working! My kids are 8 and 10 and I tried the white board method but things would get erased or marked off that needed to be up there, etc. Now, especially on the days I go to work, I just write out assignments on post-it notes and stick them to each book/workbook. They each have their stack of books. I know that the post it notes are not cheap--but I can get about 2-3 weeks worth of one subject's worth of assignments on one post-it note. For now It seems to be a system that works for our family. I do like the idea of having a week's worth of assignments all written out--so they can work ahead. Maybe down the road that might be something we'll try1
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

purepraisemom

Unread post by purepraisemom » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Great idea!

The key is that you are still involved in the early part of the school day and you reconnect at the end of the session. It is a great solution to your need to school other children and an older child's need to learn to be independent and responsible.

To quote you:
  • "Lastly: we get back together to review his completed work, work on activities that I will need to teach and should not be done independently"
without this, a child can think that it won't matter if they finish or do things correctly, etc so I love your plan!
new to MFW 2011
homeschooling since 1999

spaldingclan

Unread post by spaldingclan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:04 pm

I did something similar with my oldest when we pulled her out of public school for 5th grade to homeschool. I used a white board and wrote her schedule up there for her to be responsible for. At first we only did a few subjects that way, but by the end of the year, most subjects were up there. It was also a really good way for me to know where she was at in her day and if she was having a problem in any one area. I loved it as a tool to use to teach her to stay on task and work ahead on her own while I took care of the Littles when they needed my undivided attention.

Great job!
Kim
**Stars of Grace Academy**
happily married to dh since 1995
mom to 3 outgoing daughters:
dd1 age 14: Freshman at PS
dd2 age 6 1/2: currently in MFW1, finished MFWK
dd3 age 5: currently in MFWK
http://thislittlehouseschool.blogspot.com

far above rubies

Which subjects independently?

Unread post by far above rubies » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:25 am

We do a lot of the same thing, but with the ACE Goal Cards. That was one part of ACE which we held onto. The cards are cheap, I can fill in the subject, and then write in page numbers or whatever. It helps my very visual children know what's coming up, and what assignments are expected of them that day. And they also love being able to cross off each completed job. It helps me because I have something to glance at myself to see how they're going.

In the past, we also held to a soft schedule, but I have a child with Asperger's and if I'm not careful, he'll spend 4 times as much as he needs on a project because he can get too bogged down with the fine details. BTW, having everything written down for him on his own card helps, too.

I've also thought of simply copying the grid from the manual and giving each child a copy, with his or her own assignments written in, but after all that copying, it'll likely really add up.

I like the cards because they're small and very inexpensive. All in all, I think it's a great way to teach them some independence skills. I've talked with different college profs about their homeschooled students and they say they can always tell the students who had some independent work, because they were self-starters, instead of waiting around for someone to tell them what to do.

We usually only use it for Independent work. At the moment, I have the following subjects listed on the card:

2nd grader:
  • Math (pages listed for daily assignment)
    PLL (pages listed for daily assignment)
    Math Drill (flash card/drill sheet/online flash cards, etc. listed by daily assignment)
    Spelling by Sound and Structure (pages listed for daily assignment)
    Book of Animals (page listed for daily assignment)
    Afternoon Enrichment (PE, Library, Character Dev w/ Dad, etc.)
4th grader:
  • Math (pages listed for daily assignment)
    ILL (pages listed for daily assignment)
    Math Drill (flash card/drill sheet/online flash cards, etc. listed by daily assignment)
    Writing Strands (pages listed for daily assignment)
    ASL (20 minutes, 4 days a week)
    Afternoon Enrichment (PE, Home Ec, Character Dev w/ Mom, Library, etc
.)

I'm curious as to what subjects to put on there for our upcoming year (ECC w/ 2nd and 4th grader). Any of these NOT fall into the category of what could be independent work? Or is there anything that COULD be considered Independent, but I don't have it listed?
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

Poohbee

Re: Which subjects independently?

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Well, I can tell you what I decided would be independent work for my 4th grade dd this year as we did ECC, just to give you other ideas.

Her independent work was:
Spelling (I used a workbook program and SpellingCity.com)
Handwriting (copying her Bible verse each week and copying the character qualities from Hero Tales on the weeks we read that)
Vocabulary (2 words from Geography from A to Z once a week)
Math Drill (we used a combination of Quarter Mile Math, the Math U See drill on their website, and flash cards)
Silent Reading (she read a chapter from a book every day, sometimes it was a book I chose that we used to work on reading skills, and sometimes it was a book she chose)
Other random things that came up from day to day

Of course, her math workbook pages were independent, but only after we had gone through the textbook together first.

I did not schedule ILL or Writing Strands as independent work, because I wanted to read through the assignment together with her first for both of those, to give instruction where needed and answer any questions she had. After we went through those things together, then she worked independently on the assignment. Actually we did much of ILL orally, so that was usually not independent work for her.

We didn't do much for foreign language this year, but we will be adding Rosetta Stone next year, so that will be independent work for my dd, as well.

Just an idea for you as to how we did it at our house. It will be different for each person according to different needs and situations, but this is what worked for us.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Ohmomjacquie

Ideas for independent learning like centers, etc.

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 pm

mtnmama wrote:My boys are young, 2, 5 and 7 years old. When my second son starts 1st grade in the fall, it is going to be hard to fit everyone's schooling in because so much is mom-directed.

MFW Adventures (my younger son will participate some activities but not 100%)
MFW 1st grade (just parts of this)
Math for 1st grade, Math for 2nd grade
Reading for 1st grade, Spelling and Grammar for 2nd grade
Spanish for 2nd grade
Music practice for 2nd grade
Toddler learning activities and general toddler care (potty training is on the horizon)

This is all good stuff but very time consuming. I am looking in to things they can do independently like learning centers, file folder games, etc. Also considering workboxes to organize us.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get the kids more independent for different times of the morning so I can work with siblings?
You could try a workbox method. Place activities or worksheets in bins or folders that are numbered. When you are working with other dc or caring for toddler they get a box amd do the work in it and if time allows move to the next til you are ready to do things that require your direction.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

cefcdana

Re: Ideas for independent learning like centers, etc.

Unread post by cefcdana » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 pm

I second the workboxes (though I have never actually used them- but they are on my want to try list) as they sound so useful and helpful. They might just be the best option for occupying siblings constructively.

Check out homeschool share's site on workboxables-- tons of printable games to use. http://www.homeschoolshare.com/workbox.php

If you find some blogs online of 1st and 2nd grade teachers, a lot of them have printables of their literacy stations, math stations, file folder games, etc. Here are a just a couple that I sometimes look at: http://thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com/ http://firstgradealacarte.blogspot.com http://mrsjumpsclass.blogspot.com/ http://stepintosecondgrade.blogspot.com/

Also, utilize computer learning. I have had my kids practicing their math facts on fun4thebrain.com due to someone's suggestion on this forum. Starfall.com is also a good one. I am sure you can find many more free educational sites as well that occupy them for a few minutes each day.

I do know a bit of what you are talking about when you say teacher intensive! Next year, I will be in the same boat with a K, 1st, and 2nd grader! Yikes!

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:49 pm

I've used a modified version of workboxes for my youngest. But I always like to throw out a caution about add-add-add syndrome that sometimes comes along with workboxes. I suggest starting out by putting independent pieces of your MFW program in there as the first stage, then adding things you already have and wanted to do as the second stage, and then finding new things to put in there if a third stage is needed.

Things from MFW that you might put into workboxes or some other form of independent center would include materials for math facts practice (as cefcdana mentioned), copywork, easy readers, some of the Deluxe activities, etc. You could also create cards that just signal when to do these subjects (e.g. "copywork" or a picture showing it) so the kids just knew what to do next, without loading up boxes each day.

Another method of assigning independent work is the "white board" that David Hazell discusses in some of his workshops:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 300#p46300

Julie
P.S. I think your list of task could look longer than it will in reality? MFW 1st grade can be done in about 1.5 hours, and some of that with siblings included?

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 am

Ideas for "independent" work:

- Rosetta Stone (yeah, they sometimes need a little boost, but they mostly do it by themselves)
- Math Drill (fun4thebrain dot com, math-u-see, and even fun games on the iPad/iPod)
- Copy work
- Notebook pages (sometimes - back when we did ECC the science was to draw a picture from what we read and then a couple of sentences. I would help my dyslexic dd with the sentences, and then she would draw her Notebook page as part of independent work)
- Wii Fit (Exercise!)
- Handwriting (we use Handwriting Without Tears and would just have my boys work on the next page)
- AWANA verses (memorization)
- Note drill (again, a game on my iPad/iPod for them to work on reading music)
- Book basket
- Studying spelling words
- Vocabulary (this was in RTR when they had new vocab words every couple of days)
- coloring pages

As you can see, not a learning center in the list. I made a few games here and there, but they always want to play with someone, so that doesn't work.

And, its amazing how much those little ones want to join in because mom is spending time with the big kids.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Great ideas have been listed. Trish's list reminded me of a few things we do here as well.

spellingcity.com (I enter their spelling words at the beginning of the school year)
Book Flix by Scholastic (our library system currently offers this for free)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Erna

Reading history to capable kids

Unread post by Erna » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:15 pm

abrightmom wrote:As I am gearing up for school I am continually pondering the reading of history texts to my oldest. He can easily read them to himself. Has this been a issue for you or a struggle? Any counsel?

We will be using CtG or RTR. I haven't made our purchase yet.
I removed my initial response because things are likely going to be done differently now that I have two doing the cycle together. The younger of the two needs me to read. However, there are still certain books my oldest likes to read on her own. She learns more that way then just listening to me read. She can soak in the words and the meaning better when she is actually reading it.

I think this just ties into different ways of learning.
Last edited by Erna on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DS4home

Re: Reading history to capable kids

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:53 pm

I have sort of grouped things together that we will do all together as group time. When there are younger kids in the house to be included I just say we are doing history together. I will often have a color type page or something to do while I read. That way even the oldest is somewhat occupied and not being antsy over "Mom reading when he could do it himself".
I never really had a problem with attitude about it though. I guess we have always done history with Mom reading, so they don't ever consider another option. I still read their history to them when my oldest was in 8th grade even, because it was just our "normal" way of doing it.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1