Science - Ants, Volcanoes, and Butterflies, oh my!

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
MelissaB

Re: Besides MFW K, are volcanoes discussed again?

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 am

We used Play-Do - worked great! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:01 am

Oh good, we'll do volcanoes in 1st, too. Thank you so much for the ideas!

I would have never thought of using a jar - now that I have.

Play-Dough has been banned from our house ever since an incident involving it getting smashed into our carpet. Maybe when our littles are older we can let it back in the house.

Thanks again!
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:36 am

There is a salt dough recipe in the Apologia Astronomy book (RTR). I am sure it is in the K and 1st grade manuals as well. I just happen to have the astronomy book close by. Thought I would post it in case it helps.

Salt Dough Recipe

In a large bowl, mix together:
1 1/2 cup white flour
1/4 cup of salt
1 tsp cooking oil
1/4 cup of water
(Add tablespoons of water until it is a good dough consistency)

There is an experiment in RTR to make a volcano when learning about Mars. It suggests using a small plastic bottle such as a vitamin or aspirin bottle and building the volcano with the salt dough around it.

But, yes, it does come up in other years.

Amy C.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Oh yes, I think we did 3 different types when it came up in ECC, and then RTR, and maybe another time, too. My son even had the basic baking soda & vinegar mix in Biology this year, without any "mountain" at all. It was all very intriguing to my 5yo grandson :) Here comes the shameless grandma photo...
Attachments
IMG_0101 experiment smallest.JPG
IMG_0101 experiment smallest.JPG (16.33 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Butterfly Garden Question

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 pm

joyfulmom wrote:The teacher's manual suggests using this in lesson 21. How long does the whole thing take - from ordering the caterpillars to having them become butterflies? I am trying to figure out when I should order them - right before we get to lesson 21 or should I give it more time??
The delivery time is 2-3 weeks for the ant and butterfly orders depending on weather. The ants are used in lesson 11 and the butterflies are studied in lesson 21 in the K curriculum.
if I recall.. 14 days till butterflies opened? 7-10? I don't remember now..

anyway.. there's a great FAQ on Insect Lore's site to help when they get there. it says
http://www.insectlore.com/shop.axd/CustomerServiceFAQ
How long is butterfly life cycle?
Approximately 3 weeks. Females lay eggs 5 to 7 days after emerging from the chrysalis. The eggs hatch after three days. Caterpillars emerge from the eggs and eat for 10 to 12 days before forming chrysalides. Adult butterflies emerge from the chrysalides in 7 to 10 days.
if it is too cold where you live, they won't ship until it's warmer. It's ok to do them even if it doesn't perfectly match with lesson 21. The last time I did Kindy, we started our Kindy year with the butterfly garden. took pictures.. then when we got to the lesson 21... looked at our pictures. it was a fun way to start that year. The first time we kindy... I ordered the things right away not even thinking about it. I was home from convention with cool thing and ordered... did in spring.

fun! and we had the garden hanging from a shower rod (tension style) in a doorway so that the cat wouldn't get to it.

-crystal

MuzzaBunny

Re: Butterfly Garden Question

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:44 pm

We ordered and paid online which seemed to speed up the process a lot. Our butterflies arrived in 5 days. (I mailed in payment with the ants and that took almost 3 weeks.) Our caterpillars went into their chrysalides in about a week and hatched in about a week. We kept them in the garden for an amazing 4 weeks because it was too cold for release. One butterfly lasted 6 weeks!! and we released her. She returned to visit us one week later and we recognized her badly tattered wings. Butterfly garden is great!
Bunny

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:56 pm

lea_lpz wrote:Looking foreword to those units, but thinking ahead, to doing it again on 2-3 years, has anyone done frogs from tadpoles? Seems fun for a boy imparticular, and a way to make it unique for him? Or baby salmon? We once did this in 5th grade and then released them in a local river where salmon lived. Don't know where they'd have got salmon eggs to raise?
We did not get the butterflies even though we did buy the kit. We'd done it previously. Right behind our house we have a retention pond. (Like, literally right there behind our fence and technically a few feet of it we own.) So, we have tons of tadpoles. We caught some (a LOT) and raised them.

Unfortunately, none of them actually made it to frogs even though we did everything we were told by on-line sources and our pastor who used to be a biology teacher. But, they made it to having back legs and front buds. And, we have caught tons of frogs, some with tails still. My son LOVES this and IMO, it's just as good a lesson on life cycles. We actually have 3 small tree frogs and a toad as pets. We caught in our backyard. I always say they are the best pets because when if my son loses interest, we can just let them go again. LOL!

We have also raised several butterfly caterpillars we found in our yard and a couple of very large moth caterpillars (Polyphemus moth and Imperial moth) that were given to us by a friend. We watched those eat (and eat and eat and eat ;)), then make cocoons and turn into the moths. One of the moths made a pupa instead which they go into the ground for (or a bucket of dirt) in late summer. It stayed in there overwinter and just came out just a week or so ago.

So, we have done variations on the butterflies and ants. (We didn't do the ants either because I was too lazy and felt we had enough critters going on.) My son and his tag-along siblings really enjoyed these things and learned a lot.

Oh and this summer we also have turtle eggs we are incubating. But, he is done with K. He's just an animal lover and this is his thing. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Julie in MN wrote:
Mom2theteam wrote:Unfortunately, none of them actually made it to frogs even though we did everything we were told by on-line sources and our pastor who used to be a biology teacher. But, they made it to having back legs and front buds.
That happened to us when my oldest was young. I wonder if that's the norm.
Our pastor, who used to be a high school biology teacher, told me that a lot of tadpoles just don't make it. There isn't anything you can do about it. I also read in my research that only 1 in 20 lives to be a frog, but I assumed that wouldn't apply since they had no predators in our tank. LOL.

At any rate, it was sad, but the kids still learned a lot and enjoyed doing it. We haven't tried it again this year. Maybe we should. Of course, we have no tanks left. They are all being used by other critters. :~
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

carlamom2ansnm

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:34 am

That 's crazy! My sister caught 1 tadpole out of a local river and it grew up to be a frog. Hopped right out of their tupperware container and off the counter...they knew it was time to release him then lol.

We actually live about 30 minutes away from Insect Lore's Bugseum. It's a wonderfully cute place to take the kids and pick up some critters while we're there . We've done ladybugs and butterflies. I really want to do praying mantises next time. I've heard they're REALLY cool!

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks to the poster who pointed out that sometimes these experiments can end up being sad :( When we did the butterflies, my then 4-going on 5-year old was extremely sensitive. When our butterflies "hatched", one of them didn't come out the whole way - it was like he was stuck and only half developed. He lived a few days but it was pitiful and my son cried and cried over it! I hesitate to get the butterfly kit again for my new K'er (even though he wouldn't care if something like that happened) only because it might bring back the memories for my sensitive one! (He's 9 now and still sensitive).
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

lea_lpz

Grade K - question about ants/caterpillars.

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:39 am

gentlestrengths wrote:I probably am just missing this - but I am wondering - is there a place that says when to send away for the ants and caterpillars? I haven't looked extremely well, but I have looked, and I just am not seeing anything. Just wondering if someone could help me out with this! Thx.
There's a reminder in the teacher's manual in the second edition a couple units ahead of time to order the ants and insects. Nice heads up!
gentlestrengths wrote:Awesome. That is good news for me, I definitely need the reminder! Thank you!!
uhm, this was driving me nuts because I remember seeing the reminders but then couldn't find them in the grid. and, in the section labeled additional activities, at the very end, listed in unit 8 and unit 18 are the reminders to order the ants / butterflies. ;)
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

bluemountainmama

Re: Grade K - question about ants/caterpillars.

Unread post by bluemountainmama » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:42 pm

When we ordered our caterpillars we could specify the date we wanted them shipped. From that point it took about a week to arrive and about a week for them to turn into butterflies.

Kelly1730

Please give me courage....

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 am

hsm wrote:to order the ants! %| We are way past the insect unit but didn't order them at the time because it was so cold this winter and I thought the ants would die in the mailbox. Also, I had the heebie jeebies....still do! In the name of education, I suppose I need to get over myself. &)

Sorry, just a silly post to start our week :-)
Ha! Never could bring myself to do the ants, did the butterflies instead:) My boys, now 12, still remember the butterflies:)
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

gratitude

Re: Please give me courage....

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:52 am

Do order them! My kids loved watching them in action as they made their tunnels. They liked feeding them the very tiny bit of food and water they needed.

The first time we did it in the spring at the end of MFWK long after the letter I. The second time we did them at Christmas with the letter I. I would say both experiences were good and educational and one way was not better than the other.

Yes, the ants & butterflies were Great to do!

annaz

Unread post by annaz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16 am

It's been a LONG time since we did this, although I still have my ant "farm". Order it! It was one of the coolest things we did! :-)

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:33 am

Ack! I just sent in the order form! ;) You all talked me into it albeit reluctantly. haha! Kelly, I am glad I am not alone in not wanting them! Well, here's to hands on learning! :-)
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:06 pm

Just wait until you get to dissecting!!!

Thankfully the weather was nice enough for my ds to do his first dissecting experiment outside! I was afraid he would have to do it on our table - that we eat on. :~

Yes, the things we'll do for hands-on learning!!! I never thought I would store night crawlers in my frig, but I did.

The ants...really no problem once they are contained in their little home. Just make sure it stays closed so they don't escape. :) They really are interesting to observe. Enjoy the fun of hands-on learning!

Amy C.

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Amy- Don't remind me! haha! I already warned my husband he will be helping with dissection. He has a biology degree so I told him I needed his expertise ;)
Lori-IL
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:52 pm

We've found a paid co-op that we hope to get into this fall that does the Apologia Biology labs. Lots of options out there, so make sure you look for them.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:24 pm

You don't touch the ants! I hope knowing that helps. The directions have you set up the ant farm first. Then, when you open the ant tube you do it over the opening & put them right in. They are different than the ants we have around here and watching them dig so quickly was fascinating.

Hope that helps!

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:26 pm

We loved the ant farm. It truly is fascinating to watch them go to work.

Here's what's funny though, I was so excited to do this with my kids but when the ants got here, I was totally creeped out by them! Never thought about that before I ordered them. It ended up being ok because they come in a test tube and they tell you to refrigerate them before dumping them in the ant farm...and that REALLY helped.

Good luck! We are ordering them again to bring the farm to our learning fair at co-op!
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:39 pm

So I opened the ant hill to start setting it up before they get here and the top lid doesn't close all the way. Is that how it's supposed to be? It is probably a millimeter or two open. I am worried they will escape! :~
Lori-IL
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:05 am

I think you'll be fine. ;) We did the ants several months ago and I don't remember them ever crawling on the top. They never crawled around on the clear plastic dome part, only the brown hill, inside dirt part, and bottom. Ours never even looked close enough to the top to escape. Enjoy! It was really fun to watch.
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!