Record Keeping / Planners - Ideas to use with MFW

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Wendy B.

Re: lesson plan book??

Unread post by Wendy B. » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:11 am

Before you spend any money or attempt to recreate your lesson plan book....

Have you talked to anyone in your local support group to see what your evaluator is looking for? Local support families who use this particular evaluator would be your best source of information.

I think they want to see lessons written out for each subject for two days for each of the four quarters ... my first problem really is that we don't school around "quarters".

If this is the case.....then submit detailed lesson plans for 2 days from week 1 (1st quarter), week 10 (2nd quarter), week 19 ( 3rd quarter) and week 28 ( 4th quarter). Or if you prefer to do the last week of each quarter then do Week 9, Week 18, Week 27 and Week 36.

I think it is important not to be intimidated by the evaluator and not to submit more than is absolutely necessary!

Do you get your portfolio back? Just curious.

If it were me, I would send in the little notebook planner you are currently using ( I would send in a copy it if it was not to be returned) and detailed lesson plans of week 9, 18, 27, 36 if that is required by the law of your state. Assuming of course that local hsers state this is the procedure they usually follow!

Have you considered moving to Texas? :)
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 am

If you need more resources, here are a couple:
http://highland.hitcho.com.au/weeklylessonplans.pdf
http://homeschooling.about.com/od/sched ... _Forms.htm

I also used this one with my older dd (before MFW):
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 476#p51476

In our school district, the main thing they are concerned about is folks who say they are homeschooling but really are just too lazy to get up in the morning, or trying to keep themselves out of jail because their kid is truant. As long as you show you know the name of a math program or something, you're pretty much okay :) But I know each district can be different, even within the same state.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:45 am

I used Ward Teacher's Lesson Plan and Assignment Book #18 when I had to keep records in another state. It's in chart form with eight columns, and a five day week. http://www.hubbardcompany.com

Do you have a teacher supply store near you? If so, they probably carry Ward's or other lesson plan books.

If you just want to print off a few pages to fill in and mail, http://www.donnayoung.org (as already mentioned) would be a good choice.
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 am

I was just wondering if you were a member of HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Assn.). If so, a call to them might be beneficial, to ask them exactly how the law is supposed to be translated into what you actually are to report. I live in a very homeschool friendly state law-wise, but did have a question a couple of years ago when our certificate of enrollment forms changed. They had added a request (yes or no) for the school district to get a copy of my cert. of enrollment. HSLDA was helpful in answering my question as to how to legally answer that question (I could mark "no" which was what I wanted to do but also wanted to be legal) as well as advising me of how to fill in the blank for info about what home instruction program we were using. According to our state law, we do not have to get specific about our curriculum on those forms, but the way it is stated could lead you to believe that more info is required, like stating something to the effect about attaching info if more room is needed than what is provided.

BTW, I did question my enrollment/truancy officer about the added request for the school district to get a copy of the cert. of enrollment. He is a really nice man. Anyway, he said that was not for people like me who had been hs'ing from the beginning, but for those who took their children out of ps to hs. I guess so the school would have proof that the kids removed from their school districts were actually being schooled.

I agree that you don't want to give them more info than is legally required, so HSLDA might be good info on this. If you are a member you can contact them. If not, I know that they list each state's laws on their website. Of course, sometimes it can still be hard to translate the law into the nuts and bolts of the actually doing.

Just another thought.

Amy C.

jhagberg

Unread post by jhagberg » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:09 pm

I photocopy the "grid" page in the MFW Teacher's Manual for the coming week, I write "today's date" in the small box at the top of each day, and I put check marks next to each activity as we complete them. When we finish that week, I hole-punch it and add it to our 3-ring binder which also contains handwriting, artwork, etc. At the end of the year I will have a pretty good representation of our school year: number of days, subjects taught, and sample work. :-)

P.S. Kate, this is my first time using MFW, so I didn't realize that 1st grade doesn't have a "grid". I guess I jumped in at just the right level! :)
Joyce

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:53 pm

jhagberg wrote:Kate, this is my first time using MFW, so I didn't realize that 1st grade doesn't have a "grid". I guess I jumped in at just the right level! :)
When your youngest is ready for MFWK and MFW1 you will love them as well. They are presented differently, but they all serve their purposes exactly as they should. :-) I can't wait to do Adv next!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

erin.kate

using a planner to combine 3 levels of MFW??

Unread post by erin.kate » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:28 am

fearnot wrote:Hi, I am just wondering if I should use a "master planner" to schedule multiple levels of mfw. Specifically, I will be doing K, 1st, and ECC. This will be my first time using mfw. I imagine there will be some overlap, and some activities used in one level and some that we opt out of, not to mention math and LA will all be different, etc...so I am wondering how to plan it all. How does it look to have 3 kids in 3 levels (and 3 TMs)? Will I be jumping from one TM to another to another all day? Should I plan our weeks taking this and that from each TM and putting into one "master plan"? I'm just not able to visualize this I guess. Any help (or visuals) appreciated! :) ~Angie
I use a really good planner as of recently. For MFW1 it helps me to see my week ahead so I can move things around as necessary. There is room for up to four kids and it has devotionals, daily verses, great articles, a place for books read each month, field trips, chores, dinner menu, weekly priorities, weekend activities, etc. It is broken down by Bible, math, history, science, English, and two blank spots for you ... I use them for Fine Arts and Health. It has little boxes to check off, too, and that makes me feel more accomplished. 8[]

It's made by the Well Planned Day ... the Family Homeschool Planner.

Next year, I'll have ADV and K and I plan on jotting down the big weekly tasks in the same planner, even though ADV has a weekly TG. HTH.
fearnot wrote:Question about WPD, is one line enough room to write very much? I'm looking at the preview of it right now, and it looks like a pretty small space to write in, and if I have multiple things to cover in let say "English", such as vocab./spelling/ writing/ reading....where does it all go? I love how this planner has all of your "life stuff" integrated with the lesson plan, but not sure there is enough to the lesson plan part. Maybe you just put a little note there, but end up referring to the TM for details?
I use the WPD planner as a piggyback to the TG. So, for MFW1, I do not rewrite each day's assignments. I abbreviate and jot down the main daily tasks.

So, for Bible I might have: book, Prov, BS 173 (for the pg of the bible story in the TG)... you get the idea.

The planner helps me to see my week-at-a-glance for more than one child. I still use the guides as, well, my daily guide. My planner keeps my week and the bigger picture of my day on task ... weekly priorities, meals, appts, etc.

Feel free to ask away. :-)
fearnot wrote:That makes sense! I want to have a way to see each child's indv. work plus the work all will do as a group. Since I'll have 4 kids doing their own thing, and 3 kids that will have some stuff overlap...I can't imagine not writing it all out in one place. I'm going to try to take what I like best from several and put it together....I hope! :-)
I'm sure it will be just exactly what you need. :) You can share it with me when it's all finished. haha.
fearnot wrote:I sure will! :-)
♥Count it all joy ~

KelsiTX

Re: using a planner to combine 3 levels of MFW??

Unread post by KelsiTX » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:48 am

I have been using a planner for several years..the VERY inexpensive planners from R&S. They are only 3.95 so I always pick one up at the fair. I only have two children though and they are going through one level of MFW. So it might not work for several kids on different levels. The planner is simple, like one set up for a classroom but it has worked for me.
Blessed by MFW 4 years (ADV, ECC, CTG, currently RTR)
Married for 12 years to JD
Kassidy (12) 6th grade
Jackson (7) 2nd grade

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm only doing 2.

I copy the weekly page TM page of ECC and use it for my older child. I mark his assignments on this page. So I will write in what he did for math, etc for him. Any item that my younger child participates with from ECC I will jot "C" by on this sheet. C is the first initial of her name.

I found an assignment page that I liked from www.donnayoung.org for my younger kid.This website has weekly or quarter options for the assignment page. Since I only have 1 other student I find that I can save the trees and use the quarter option. If I had multiple students I would probably use the weekly option. On this sheet I track assignments for my younger student and the activities that I plan on doing from the K manual. I just do a quick note like "art" or "science" but without the specifics of the project. I hole punch this assignment sheet on the "wrong" side so that when I open up my binder I can see both the ECC TM and the one I created.

I still need to flip through both manuals a little. Once I got into the groove with the K manual , I found that I didn't need to refer to it as frequently for the phonics portion. So I can leave it open to the weekly portion for a quick reference to the activity that I wanted to do. Since I already have the ECC TM manual assignement sheet copied then I don't need to flip through the manual between the assignment sheet and the notes. I keep the original open to the days notes next to my binder with the copy.

I hope this makes sense!
Wendy B.

fearnot

Unread post by fearnot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Thanks for the responses!! I'm toggling between windows looking at all the different formats, trying to think what will work! I am wondering if anyone has an older child keep a student planner (I would like my 10 yo to be learning to manage her time, be responsible, etc.) She is the one that will be doing ECC, the younger two will tag along for stuff I guess. Does anyone have an older student keep track of their assignments in a student planner? I would still need a planner myself to keep track of all 3 (well 4 if I include my oldest; he'll be doing something different than MFW). I have looked at CLE and CLASS student planners in addition to the family/ mom ones like Well Planned Day, The Homeschooler's Journal, and the Homeschool Daily Planner. Anybody have their own master planner, then have kids keep their own planner? Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Postby fearnot » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:31 pm
Well, after looking at too many to count, I found 3 I thought the layout could work well w/ multiple children and unit study - ELAN undated teacher plan books, The Homeschool Daily Planner for Unit Studies, and the planner pages at Donna Young website. All needed "tweaking" for my needs, so I started playing around at making my own weekly planning pages, and will probably end up doing that to get what I want. I guess I'll be making a planner for myself. However, I really like the CLE student planners for my older kids.

Dusenkids

Unread post by Dusenkids » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:37 pm

If you are concerned about space, you might consider creating your own grid on Word and use a 3-ring binder/dividers. Then you can adapt everything to your family. I did that as a teacher and plan on doing that as I start homeschooling this fall (or whenever I can't stand waiting anymore :-) ) I had a very flexible teaching schedule and the traditional plan books didn't work for me. Use the samples you like to get you started and then add what you need, like more writing space. That also allows you to modify it as your family changes. Just a thought. :)
fearnot wrote:Exactly! I created a "rough draft" in word and DH said he would make it nice in neat in Excel for me. Now to figure out what other pages and lists to add...
Angie
Besides looking at samples, I kind of "walk through my day" and plan some of my checklist that way. Ex Chores I want done through the day.
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

erin.kate

Do you use any planner software along with MFW?

Unread post by erin.kate » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:35 am

samiam wrote:My brain likes to be highly organized and "on task." For the past 3 years, I have used the free version of Homeschool Tracker and really loved how organized it kept us. I would not load assignments for a full year, but only 1-2 weeks at a time in case plans changed. But I loved to be able to pull up each day and see exactly what I had planned for school work. Then we started using workboxes and that was lovely to have HST there so each night I just pulled up my plans and loaded the boxes in 10-15 minutes. It was also nice to create report cards (my DS12, when he was younger, liked to get that and enjoy using it for the community "get this free thing for each A you have on your report card".) Plus I was able to keep a running list of all books that my son read, and just so easy to input that.

So along came this past year. As we used Adventures for DS8, I find myself not really putting ADV schedule into HST, because it just seemed redundant, as it was already laid out in a grid style, which I loved. Plus at this point in our HSing journey, DS12 doesn't care about report cards and freebies, and DS8 is in 2nd and has no clue what a report card is, and I don't really care so much about them myself.

Having moved twice this school year, I feel that our school year is quite disorganized at this point. I mean, we still get work done, but I don't always have things planned in advance, especially for DS12 who is not using MFW at this point, I sometimes forget the "extra" I wanted to use for ADV with DS8 (ie videos on Netflix or United Streaming, or Brainpop), definitely forgetting to get Book Basket books from library. Workboxes often get hurriedly fill that morning, while DS12 waits.

This fall, we will be using ECC for both DS12 and DS8, with DS5 tagging along. Then they each will have their own individual subjects, with DS12 having some outside/online classes as well. Plus we have moved to a new state, which has more strict HSing laws than what I am used to. The fact that I will need some sort of tracking to prove those 180 days, etc, is in my mind. I am kind of thinking to go back to HST but the again the thought that adding the MFW stuff into HST is a bit redundant.

ANYhooo, my point, my question, is if anyone, perhaps someone as anally organized as myself, uses a planning software, to keep ALL of the school, not just MFW, scheduled, on track, etc.??? Or do you use something else altogether? Or am I just Waaaaay overthinking this?
I use a planner from The Well Planned Day, but HST has always interested me. I'm such a book and paper/pencil girl though, that I love having my planner on hand and in my bag. Sounds like whether or not inputting the info is repetitive, it gives you the peace of mind that in turn helps you stay more focused, like with the book basket. So, I say, if you have the time and the inkling, then use HST to the degree that you find it will keep your days most fluid.

Do what makes you happy ... also, by inputting info into HST that is on the TG, you are reading in advance and forcing yourself to know exactly what lies ahead.

Best to you!
♥Count it all joy ~

TriciaMR

Re: Do you use any planner software along with MFW?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:23 am

I do use HST+ (have since ECC). I like using it because I do put the little extras into it (like math drill, AWANA, handwriting). I print out a list for my dd to accomplish each day as "seatwork" while I work with my twin boys. It is a pain to set up, though I have finally figured out a way to make it easier, and have a template to just "fill in" for each year. It takes me 2 to 3 weeks to do it, and I usually find mistakes as we go through the year. I also like it because we have to track days/hours for our state, and it is a convenient place. Plus, I'm a techy-geeky-nerd and like using the computer :)

But, I don't schedule too much else, like chores, yet. I also like it to put in P.E. class, piano lessons, piano practice, dance class.

I think the paid-for version is very much worth the price, and they have yet to charge for upgrades. Plus, when one of my files got messed up, I was able to send it to them and they fixed it for me. Their customer service is great.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

far above rubies

Unread post by far above rubies » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:51 am

I've tried using HST, but it wouldn't work for me. LOL

I've used regular teacher manuals though, especially when we used the MFW K. It did help to keep all those extra things organized and in the schedule.
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:56 pm

I've looked at using HST because this past year I typed everything into my own Excel grid for the same reason you mentioned - all the extras that I wanted to keep up with. I added spaces for Mom-To-Do, piano and dance lessons, PE, Dad's night class, etc. It did seem somewhat redundant to put in items that are already on a grid in the TM, but I found it to be so necessary for my sanity - being able to see everything in one place, and it "forced" me to really sit down and read the TM and some of the other books to see what was coming up.

I usually did one week ahead at a time, sometimes two. After a few weeks of doing this I got rather quick about being able to enter the info (I used abbreviations). Most of the time I took my laptop, TM, and some of the books to piano or dance lessons and could input everything while I waited on dd.

HST sounds better to me though because, if I understand correctly, if you miss a lesson, HST can move it forward for you to the next day. I had to manually keep up with this sort of thing using the Excel program.
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

davimee

Unread post by davimee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:11 pm

momtogc wrote:HST sounds better to me though because, if I understand correctly, if you miss a lesson, HST can move it forward for you to the next day. I had to manually keep up with this sort of thing using the Excel program.
We have HST+, and changing a lesson is just a matter of right clicking the lesson you want to move, then click on the correct day on the calendar. You can also move a group of lessons, if you miss an entire day.
Emily - Wife of one wonderful man, Mommy of two terrific girls (11 & 8 )

This is our second year with MFW, using Creation to the Greeks. :)

robertb10502

Unread post by robertb10502 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:50 pm

I use Homeschool tracker. I have upgraded to the plus version. We are going to start Adventures soon and I already have all of second grade entered in the lesson plans. I don't enter a lot of detail but I have every subjected (English, Math, ect.) planned out and ready. Then weekly I will go in and decide day we will do everything. I love it but I have to track hours for my state and it helps me with that.
-Samantha- wife to Robert - mom to Christian, Riley, Eli and Annie.

2012 - 2013 ECC
2011 - 2012 1st and Adventures
2010 - 2011 K and 1st
2010 - 2009 K

TriciaMR

Anyone use Homeschool Tracker?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat May 14, 2011 8:51 am

mothergooseofthree wrote:I have HST+ that I have never used, but am trying to implement. Anyone use this? How do you go about entering it? Just general by day or detailed by including each thing on the schedule?
I use HST+. Mostly to track hours (we have a state requirement, and that makes it easier - let the computer do the math).

How much detail you enter, depends on your goals.

I put in detail for things I want my kids to do independently - notebooking pages, reading, math drill, etc. I also like having "check boxes" (just on the computer) to make sure we got to everything, so I also have English, Spelling, Math and Writing in there.

I use the Copy feature, and create a pattern: Week 1 Day 1, Week 1 Day 2, Week 1 Day 3, Week 1 Day 4, Week 1 Day 5; Week 2 Day 2, Week 2 Day 2, ... For the lesson field. Then I use that for Bible, History, Science, Music/Art. I Just delete the lessons when there is nothing scheduled.

There are some great ideas over at the Homeschool Tracker Website message board for how to set up a Sonlight/MFW grid style curriculum.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

samiam

Re: Anyone use Homeschool Tracker?

Unread post by samiam » Sat May 14, 2011 9:42 am

I have used HST, the free version for three years, but this past year, just could not figure out how to use it with MFW Adventures without it just seeming like entering redundant info. I stilled used with my older and youngest DS, who were not using MFW. I did enter the basic stuff like Math, Spelling etc, but to actually sit and retype what was in the MFW grid, just seemed so redundant. After a few months, I even stopped entering the Math, Spelling etc, in HST and just penciled it into my copied grid.

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 pm

I use Homeschool Tracker Plus, but I haven't used the assignments portion yet. As samiam commented, it is redundant for me to enter assignments when I just use the MFW grid in the TM. Perhaps I'll use it more for assignments when my dd is in high school? I'm not sure.

What I DO use it for right now is to plan my school year by making my calendar with holidays, vacations, etc.; entering attendance and time spent in school; keeping track of a reading log for each of my girls; entering field trips we've taken; and entering the poems my dds have memorized during the school year. I really like using it for these things! Now this year, for the first time, I am going to make use of the reports, and I'll print reading log, field trip, and memorization reports for my dds' binders at the end of our school year.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

mothergooseofthree

Unread post by mothergooseofthree » Sun May 15, 2011 1:52 pm

I am starting to think this may be a wast of my time. I do not have to report anything to anyone. Someday I will need to make transcripts, but I still have several years before I have to do that. I bought HST+ several years ago and have never made use of it. It won't hurt it to sit on the shelf for a few more years.

I have always been more of the type to do things then write them down on a grid. I don't usually plan more than what we are doing TODAY! Then I write it down on my spreadsheet which is just a list of things that need to get done. Some of them get done everyday and others are just to remind me to do it a day or two per week. Then, I take my MFW guide, copy the schedule for the week, highlight the things that we do, check them off, and date it.

I would like to think that having everything all planned out would be motivation to me, but I actually tend to rebel against a SCHEDULE!

Hmmmm....will have to give this more thought.

schoolmom2

Keeping Records

Unread post by schoolmom2 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:27 am

meljen wrote:In the few weeks I have been teaching MFW K and 1st, I have been trying to find a comfortable system for keeping records. I live in WA state, so we don't really have to show records (except for high school and college I'm sure - at least the yearly test scores) - but I am still wondering about how to do it.

I have tried using a notebook, but it feels like extra work doing this. I have also tried just using the teacher manuals and jotting the notes there for extra activities throughout the day, but seeing that I want to use my 1st manual for our DS next year, I am hesitant. I think I might have to purchase a new manual for 1st regardless. I have also thought of making a page much like the MFW 1st daily math activity chart that comes with the worksheets, and listing things we are to do every day so we don't forget - like singing, etc. I am just worried that if I don't note everything we do, I will forget what we've done each day. But I don't want to be writing out the same things every day. Does that make sense?

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I don't want to burn myself out with this! :-(
Mel
I'm also from WA, and you're correct, no record keeping is necessary. I honestly don't know of a single family with children below high school who does keep records, other than the yearly test scores.

Could you contact MFW and see how they feel about making copies of the weekly grid? It would be so much easier to cross off or add to what is already there, rather than making something from scratch and writing everything out.

cbollin

Re: Keeping Records

Unread post by cbollin » Tue May 24, 2011 10:32 am

schoolmom2 wrote: Could you contact MFW and see how they feel about making copies of the weekly grid? It would be so much easier to cross off or add to what is already there, rather than making something from scratch and writing everything out.
The copyrights are listed in the manuals in regard to record keeping needs..

In 1st and Kindy, there aren't grids exactly the same way as it is from ADV through highschool.

I live in a state where we keep attendance, and "grades". There is no requirement to have daily details.

one could try using donnayoung website for various attendance charts and records, and maybe even a simple "report card" prior to high school transcripts.

If you don't have a need for detailed daily reports to be turned it, there's no need to keep that info.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 24, 2011 11:01 am

meljen wrote:I have also tried just using the teacher manuals and jotting the notes there for extra activities throughout the day, but seeing that I want to use my 1st manual for our DS next year, I am hesitant. I think I might have to purchase a new manual for 1st regardless.
I like to just keep my manual as a record of the body of work we did for the year. And any notes about extras and such, I jot in there. If I were to use the manual with another student, well, those notes might come in handy! But as you said, I'd probably just get another manual. I did that for one student who did ECC in 3rd and then in 8th -- now I have two manuals.

But, I kept a lot when my kids were in public school, too. I always kept a giant ZIploc with stuff from the year, and often it was a lot thicker than one manual (and didn't include projects like the history notebook). Others might be wiser than me and not want to keep as much. However, if you do want a daily record, I can't see how writing it out would end up a lot more concise than just using the manual itself ? Especially K, that is very concise.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 am

I also live in a no requirement state but like to keep some sort of record for my own use. Once you get to ADV it is easy enough to copy the grid and mark as you go.

I used donnayoung.org type-able quarter planner to keep a record for K and 1st. You can find it on the website by searching for quarter planner or term and subject planner. I like the type-able version so it at least starts out neat and clean. :-)

I plan a 4 day school week and use the 5th square to keep track of weekly items. So our grid might look like:

MFW K
MUS
Story

for 4 days and the 5th square might be

Nature( for Nature study)
ECC(to record any activities she did with older brother's program)

Each quarter I might be keeping track of different items for different kids. For example, I used this grid to keep track of my son's Speech Therapy.

Each day I jot down the lesson that we did that day. I jot notes in the margins and on the back of the paper so by the end of a quarter it is a little messy. Since I don't have to share this with anyone it has served it purpose and I file it away. I do use this to review just what we have done in the past. I can see that it took us x number of weeks to finish a book or find a date that ds finished Speech Therapy.

Using the quarter planner helped me to remember to use items that are recommended in MFW1 but not scheduled such as the "Look at Art" books . Since I had it on my master grid I either needed to jot the page number (or check that we did it) or mark it off for the day. Since I don't like omitting things I was more likely to actually to get the book out and do it each week.

HTH
Wendy B.