Record Keeping / Planners - Ideas to use with MFW

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
meljen

Re: Keeping Records

Unread post by meljen » Tue May 24, 2011 11:21 am

Thank you all so much for the ideas! I keep forgetting about donnayoung, that is SUCH a great resource. :-) I'll need to go check out her Homeschool and housekeeping schedules, things can get really crazy for us since I am not a 'born organizer', and I also work from home as an artist on top of homeschooling. Any help I can get with keeping track will be awesome. ;-)

I love the grid idea! I may just make my own grid chart too for the days of the week, that will definitely help a bunch!

Thanks again. :-)
(hugs)
Mel
DD 7, DS 5
Using MFW K & 1st for the first time (2011)

hsmomintexas

Unread post by hsmomintexas » Sun May 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Hey there - I'm in Texas and no records are necessary here either. My system is simple:

I use a Teachers Record book I picked up from Mardel's. The kind where it has the days of the week in a column down the left and columns going across where you can write the subject or whatever you'd like across the top. All I would do would be to write the date for the week we were in - - week of May 16-20, then, in the square, for the day we were on, "L1/D1" - meaning "Lesson 1 / Day 1," next day "L1/D2," etc. In the other columns I would write "L1/Act1," etc. If we did a project different than the manual, I'd write that in another column, if we read together, I'd write that in it's own column. A field trip, I'd note it also. If we missed a day because of some reason or another, I'd write "sick" or something to remind myself at a glance why we didn't do school that day. If there was a part of the lesson we didn't finish I'd write it on the square for the next day so I wouldn't forget...

I suppose it is somewhat repetitious, but for me it worked. I needed it to be simple because I'm am not greatly organized. Too detailed or complicated and I would not keep up with it. But, I am also very forgetful, so I needed some sort of notes to remember what we did when.

Best wishes,
Pam
DS - almost 6 yrs old finishing up MFW K

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Mon May 30, 2011 12:07 am

I started like you trying to briefly record in a separate manual...and it made it feel like I was using 2 manuals. I did keep all her weekly work for K in the weekly folders as per the manuals...but I don't know if I'll keep everything in later years - I typically keep a little more of their younger papers and as they get older I select favorites or highlights from the year to keep.

What I did & I'm now doing for 1st:
I put the calendar sheets in one side of a manilla folder and the 100 day chart @ the top. Each month I add the new calendar to the top of the sheets (I removed them each month & just put them all back @ end of year so it was easier for her to handle). On the front of the manilla folder - small print - I would notate something like this:
M - May 10, 2010, 1 - Creation day 1 & 2 (The #1 stands for what day of school it was on 100 day chart)
Th - 5/20/10 - 7 - Lesson 1-5 'S' & 2-1 'M' (The 7 is day for 100 chart, the lesson was #1 day 5, letter S & lesson 2 day 1, letter M (she did 2 lessons a day pretty often but she was an kinder - she turned 6 in September & we started in May when she was still 5, but very close to 6, because she was eager to start.)

Anyways...that is sort-of how I'm keeping records for what I taught. It's a little more detailed for 1st, but it is nice to use the folder that I'm already using for calendar & 100 chart. For 1st - I'm attaching a sheet behind the calendar to record math lesson & still listing the day & lesson on front of folder. Don't know if this will help - but it worked for us. (We don't have to keep records either.)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Jamie

Unread post by Jamie » Mon May 30, 2011 8:39 am

Hey there! Like Wendy, I've also been using some of the grids from Donna Young's site. I've personalized them for what each child is doing (The name of the subject in the far left and then that subject broken down even further in each box under the days, with little boxes next to those), and this last year I was basically just doing check marks. Once in a while, I would write down a little note to give us a better idea of specifics, but it ended up being a fairly simple method. I figured we were okay doing that with all of the details and grids in the TG (We were using CtG). I hope that makes sense.
Jamie
Married to my sweetie for 16.5 years
14 ds, 12 dd, 10 dd, 7 ds, 4 ds, 1.5 dd
MFW K, ECC, CtG, RtR, Ex to 1850, & 14 yo currently in 1850 to Modern

Smoakhouse

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Mon May 30, 2011 11:22 am

If record keeping is not required by your state, the first step to deciding what you want to do is ask yourself why you want to keep records? If it is just for you to be able to look back and see what your child had done it may be better to keep samples of the child's work. This is what I have done. TN does not require record keeping either. :)

I very much like the notebooks that MFW had on display at their booth at curriculum fair and plan to keep my son's work in one similar. I'm also a big fan of taking lots of picture of the activities and even paper projects they do. You can make a physical scrap book, maybe home school yearbook style or just keep one electronically.

Speaking from experience, DON'T KEEP EVERYTHING. We just went through the 12 - 2 inch binders I had kept from my senior's school career and filled a large yard size garbage bag with papers. And we still kept 3 notebooks. (I have not idea why, just couldn't part with it. Silly, I know. ~sigh~ ) :)
IMG_1457.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
My graduate going through all her years of papers.
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak

Smoakhouse

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Here is a blog post that I just ran across that I thought might be helpful to you.

Confessions of an Organized Homeschool Mom
http://bethanylebedz.blogspot.com/2011/ ... s-101.html

Enjoy!
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak

TriciaMR

lesson plan book

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:07 pm

themama wrote:What leson plan book do you all use? I re-write all of the subjects out adding math, spelling, language and Spanish. But have yet found a book to my liking. Any ideas?
Shirlee
Have you looked at Donna Young dot org? She has some great "planner" type sheets. I us HST+, so I'm no help. (I add AWANA, Math Drill, Piano, and Typing, and there just isn't enough room on the grid.)

The Old Schoolhouse (theoldschoolhousestore.com) has planners, as well as one called "The Well Planned Day." Those could be some possibilities for you.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Dusenkids

Re: lesson plan book

Unread post by Dusenkids » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:41 pm

I use some from Donna Young and http://new-bintexas.webs.com/freecurriculumplanner.htm. Just print off what I need or use those pages to give me ideas to create my own using word or excell. I have found that I need to be able to change formats mid-year sometimes So I print what I need, modify, print new. (Maybe I print too much :~ ) Right now I am planning K with a few pre-k workboxes on the side but it won't be long before I am planning K at a slower pace, 1st, and pre-k. So I will change things again Feb/March! Ramble..point...Oh yeah, find something flexible that works for you.

Some depends on how much you plan. What do you want to plan? I looked at samples from Well Planned Day on the web page (love the look and layout). You can plan everything from lessons to meals to...., and as much as I would LOVE to be that organized....4 boys 5 and under....I am more worried that I got the "pet" snake out of the house... :~
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

carissa

Unread post by carissa » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:30 am

For K and 1st grades I used the free planner that Lakeshore Learning gave out with a $10 purchase. I loved it! It was about the size of a spiral notebook. Calendar pages were in the front (month-at-a-glance style, with lines for writing the day's appts on), followed by 40 week-at-a-glance two-page spreads for lesson planning/scheduling. On the weekly two-page spreads, the day was horizontal with lined rectangles across the page for subjects I wrote in at the top. Hard to describe...There was a top line with blank rectangles where I wrote the subjects, then below that were lined rectangles going across the page for Monday, then a line of rectangles going across the page for Tuesday. Below that a line of rectangles going across the page for Wednesday, and so on, down to Friday. I liked viewing my day going across the page, for some reason. Just made sense in my mind. :-)

I saw that many people liked the Well-Planned Day planner, and I loved the graphics, encouraging articles, Bible verses, room for meal planning built-in, and so on. Ordered one. Beautiful. However, the days were vertical, and some of the subjects were already printed on the page (not in the order I wanted to do them). I just couldn't make the switch. I didn't like looking at my day vertically, and crossing out the printing to write in my preferred subject order looked too messy. :~ I know, I'm weird that way. I need it to be easy to look at, not jump around out of order, and not messy. 8]

This year, I bought a small calendar-planner that will fit in my purse. Then, for lesson planning, I made my own horizontal-style grid on Excel, putting the subjects in the order I want them--I only printed about 5 of these, thinking I'll probably want to tweak them once the school year gets going.

I made myself a "Mommy notebook," and the planning sheets will go in the front of that, ready for me to re-write ADV plans with other subjects onto one sheet per week. I bought some pretty colored pocket dividers (Avery) and made the first divider "Schedules," where I put our preliminary school-day schedule, lite-Friday schedule (which will really be on Tuesday for us because of an all-morning Bible study group we're trying out this year), and our off-school schedule. (I read Managers of their Homes this summer, and I'm giving their scheduling approach a try.) The next tab is "Supply Lists" where I put our school supply shopping list, and a weekly supply list I typed up from my ADV TM. Next tab is "Character Training" where I can put resources for this priority. Next "Academic Resources" for filing away any little helps I find in that area. A blank tab is next, followed by the final one, "Mommy's Heart" where I'm putting articles, quotes and devotionals to remind me about the areas God is working on in my life (how my attitude sets the tone for the day, dying to self, etc.).

To help us follow our schedules, I printed two extra copies and inserted them into page protectors, cutting off the three-hole-punched area. I put one up in the kitchen, and one is posted in our school room. I'll probably put the week's lesson plan grid that we're working from in a page protector and post it near my work area in the school room, so can see what pages to do where without having my notebook open all day covering my work space, but since we haven't started yet, that's just a guess.

I guess my point is, if you don't find a format you like on DonnaYoung.org, and you can't find a pre-printed planner you like, you can make your own, and print out one grid per week to write on. Hope you find something you like! Sorry this is so long...I'm kind of a planning nerd. In my plans no one talks back, and everything goes perfectly, LOL! :-)
Carissa in Michigan
Wife to Steve for 21 years.
Mom to ds Brendan (10), ds Caden (8) and dd Sydney (8).
We've done MFW-K, ADV, public school for 2 years, and now considering ECC :)

Dusenkids

Unread post by Dusenkids » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 am

carissa wrote:In my plans no one talks back, and everything goes perfectly, LOL! :-)
LOL Maybe that is why I like to plan! :-)
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Maybe it's because I spent 11 years in an ACE school or 12 years as an engineer, but using a planner sounds like waaaayyyyyy too much work to me. I applaud all of you who have the tenacity do it. I love the MFW grid. That's all I need. If I had more than one kid, I'd still make copies and just use that. It's already DONE. And pencilling in field trips or extras works fine for me.

Please don't think I'm putting you down for using a planner or system, I just wouldn't want anyone reading this thread to think they *have* to have something else.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

rjsmomma

Unread post by rjsmomma » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 am

I've been using pages that I've made myself in word, but they look almost the same as the MFW grid. I made a few changes and also wrote things like Math WB pages: , So that all I have to write is the actual page # instead of EVERYTHING/EVERYDAY :) Can't copy the MFW grid if you sell the TM, so I needed to come up with something else:)

This year I really wanted to have something prettier, and I liked the idea of having a calendar (which I could have done myself), and a grade record with my lesson plans. DD is going into 7th grade this year, and while I haven't graded her work up until now, I'm thinking of the future (High School) and want to start playing around with how I want to grade things so that I'm ready for making transcripts and such. *Yes, I really think I'm going to need 2 years to figure this out:)*

So I bought the Well Planned Day planner (and it is just super cute!!!). But here's the problem, it has the subjects already written in for you, which is mostly okay, but there is only 2 spaces for extras. Also it should be enough room for 4 children, but I just barely had enough room to write in everything for my one dd (some days I'm not sure that history will fit at all). Plus there was one subject for all of English (we will have spelling, writing strands, All in one English and Progeny press, though not all on the same day, so it should work). After adding art/music, and sign language, it was FULL. And instead of having things pre-written (like it is on my grid) I do have to write in everything:) Hmm, I'm still going to give it a shot. There is lots that I really love about this planner, I just wish I could have pieced it together and made up my own with their pretty papers:) Maybe that's an idea to toss their way!!

I guess I'm just saying that you may not find a one-size-fits all planner out there, and making your own really isn't very hard.
Shannon Meyer
DD - 13 years old - 7th grade
Used MFW for K, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and now 7th:)

TriciaMR

iPad for lesson planner??

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:14 pm

jabec wrote:Does anyone use an iPad for record keeping/lesson planning?

We will be starting ECC soon and I have grades 6, 4, 2, K, and a 2 year old tagging along. We need to keep accurate records, and I'd like to keep them on my iPad, but I'm not real sure how to do it. The kids also want me to give them report cards this year, so I need some way of keeping and tallying "grades."

Has anyone transferred all the plans to a spreadsheet or something? How did you do it? What did you use? Would it even be worth the time? I am so much better at using something electronic as opposed to physical books....
I've not done it on my Ipad, and as far as I can tell, there are no apps.

Homeschool Tracker now has a online version to track with that's meant to be used with an iPhone/iPad/Android - but it is PRICEY ($60/year)! I use Homeschool Tracker Plus on my regular laptop ($50 one time price, with lifetime patches/updates) - though as a former software engineer, I have it in the back of my mind to write an app for tracking, but not sure when I would find the time for that ;) :~ Plus, I can see it being a memory hog because of all the data you'd have to track.

Another option, Google docs has a spreadsheet - you could track stuff on there, and access it via your iPad. I've contemplated that, too.

We only have to keep track of hours, and we don't have to turn them in to anyone (unless we were ever challenged to prove we're homeschooling).

I do use an app called Errands to make sure I get all the "extras" done: AWANA, math drill, etc, so I'm not writing in my T.M. That might be an option to tweak to use. But, after those databases get to a certain size, those apps start to slow down.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Re: iPad for lesson planner??

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:24 am

welcome along.

One idea for "report cards"
http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/grade.htm
but that might be too paper and not what you're looking for. I'm not sure what legally you are required to do for issuing grades and record keeping at this age, or what you actually have to turn in. That varies a lot from state to state.

mostly posting to say welcome along.

-crystal

jabec

Unread post by jabec » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks Crystal and Trish!

We are in Kansas, and have NO requirements legally, it's my husband that wants me to keep a digital record of all that we do. While this is a nuisance, it does keep me accountable!

As far as report cards, I'll probably just make up my own similar to Donna Youngs. It's just something the kids want this year- something for fun, and encouragement!

That app- Errands, looks great! I do use something similar, but hadn't thought of using it for school stuff!

I found another app, GradeBook Pro, and I think I'll try to make it work. This past semester, I used Numbers and created a spreadsheet that I duplicated for each day. It worked, but like you said, the more info- the slower it gets. I can't imagine how bogged down it would be for a whole year.

Thanks, and I'm sure looking forward to this next year!
-Becky
Newbie to MFW.
Thankful for this board.
Using ECC for 6th grade DS, 4th grade DD, 2nd grade DS, Ker DD, and 2 yo DS.
(just using mix and match stuff for K, though she'll do as much as possible in ECC)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 am

hmm...

digital record keeping... hmm.. you and your dh might want to look into this option? don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

http://www.homeschoolreporting.com/logon.php

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:38 am

Crystal,

That looks like an excellent option.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Planners

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 am

lisaha wrote:Ok, so I'm not a planner, I tried to do my own thing this year and although it went ok, we didn't get nearly as much done as we did in MFW! ;) I'm sending [one thing I tried] to my cousin bc I never plan things ahead of time and therefore am not getting much done in there either... I need to sell [another thing I tried] bc I need to combine my kids! haha! MFW worked great for us, all of the books are on hand that I need and NO PLANNING! WOOOOHOOO! :-) So I'm pretty very sure I'll be buying CTG for this next year. ;) Thankfully I was smart enough to stay in the same timeline and used SOTW 1 this year so I could jump back into MFW in the right era without missing too much of a beat...although I DID miss the fun of CTG with you all this year. :~

My question is on the planner. I used to write in what what the children did on the grid for math lang arts ex... but this year we will have 4 and there isn't room on the grid for that many math, lang arts ex..... What do those with larger families use for a planner to write up what the kids are doing (more for a record, bc I figure out what lessons they are doing while they are doing their lessons-the next one in the math workbook or lang arts book! haha! I don't actually plan ahead!) I was looking at the-well-planned-day-homeschool-planner bc I can fit 4 on there...it might be awesome or more then I need... What do you all do?
Thanks! Sorry I miss you and the fun this year!
;)
Lisa
Abigail 11
Joshua 8
James 6
Toby 4
Levi 3
Emma Grace 1
Hi Lisa,
Welcome back :)

You probably just need one extra planner for math/language arts? In other words, 32 to 36 pages, depending on how many weeks you do per year If you get a grid with the typical 6 boxes per day, you could separate out spelling etc. And at the end, there would be space for extras like phy ed...

Sometimes I've made a grid for extras like that, or you can find them online. A simple one at the Target back-to-school dollar bin sometimes surfaces. And when my older dd was doing high school at home (before MFW had high school), I liked a simple Ward Lesson Plan and Assignment Book that I think we talked about on this thread:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3238

HTH,
Julie
lisaha wrote:Yes, a simple grid should be easy enough to do! ;) I love hearing how other moms record things! ;) Probably the unorganized part of me tring to reassure myself that I'm doing ok with my recording! haha! ;)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

momonthemove

Re: Planners

Unread post by momonthemove » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Well, I had a friend who has used MFW give me a great idea. She copies the assignment grids for each kids on a different color. Then she writes them individually on their forms. Each child knows their color and they are able to pick up and go and not have to wait for mom if she helping another. She only has 2 schooling right now. I will have 2 next year as well and have already copied them for the year. :) Very excited to do it this way. At the end of the year, I will have a record per child and they will easily fit into a folder.

[editor's note: copying the grid is allowed as long as the original manual is not loaned/given/sold, with more info on the copyrights here
http://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/about-us/faqs#39 ]
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

Jamie

Unread post by Jamie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi there! Something that has been working really well for us is making our own planner so that we can customize and tweak it as the year progresses. I made a basic chart in one of my computer programs, one for each of the three older kiddos.

At the very top, I have the child's name, their current grade, and the school year.
Under that I have "Week _____ Rome to the Reformation."
Then, the rest of the chart is just like any other, with the days of the week across the top and all of the subjects (including chores ;), current books that child is reading, etc. ) down the side.

The kids use the MFW grid from the teacher's manual as their guide for the day, check marking each subject as it's completed. I am able to fill in the correct week at the top of their charts so that MFW's grid and our charts correspond. If there is ever any question as to the exact thing they did, we can just go back to that particular week on the MFW grid and it will give us a general idea. At the end of the week, I just 3-hole punch our charts, put them in my binder, then print out new ones for the next week. If something needs to be changed with the subjects, or whatever, it's easy to do. For this next year, I'll probably be able to use the same charts, just changing their grade level, the year, the name of the year we're doing in MFW, and any of the subjects that need to be tweaked. I hope that makes sense! God bless!!
Jamie
Married to my sweetie for 16.5 years
14 ds, 12 dd, 10 dd, 7 ds, 4 ds, 1.5 dd
MFW K, ECC, CtG, RtR, Ex to 1850, & 14 yo currently in 1850 to Modern

mandolin

Unread post by mandolin » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 pm

I use the Well Planned Day planner for my children and I really like it! Mandi
widow, remarried now 5 years to wonderful hubby
Loving MFW!
ECC with DSons 11 and 13, MFW 1st with DS, 8
homeschooling for 13 years

mamag3

Unread post by mamag3 » Sun May 13, 2012 11:01 pm

I used the Well Planned day this year and I liked the layout, but I will say that it bothered me that the subjects were already written in on the side and since they were in a different order than I taught them, it irritated me. But I am strange like that ;)

I decided instead of spending $20+ again, I might just use a daily planner (like those At-A-Glance things they sell at Staples) and write in the other subjects like Reading, Math & Language. I like to keep my monthly calendars with all my school stuff so that when I am planning I have that in front of me. I have also thought about just making my own & having it copied & bound at Staples. It is fairly inexepensive (probably total would cost ~ $10) and that way you have all you need in there.

Check out this site: http://www.newbeehomeschooler.com/about ... lanner.htm for links & templates to create your own homeschool planner.

jabec

Unread post by jabec » Mon May 14, 2012 11:15 am

What are you ladies actually planning out? Are you just planning in a separate planner math, language, and extras?

Or is it that you have more than one program?

Or do you copy everything from the teachers manual to a calendar type planner?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do. I was just going to write everything in the TM, but not sure there will be enough room.

Could some one explain to me what exactly you all are putting into a seperate planner?

Thanks
Newbie to MFW.
Thankful for this board.
Using ECC for 6th grade DS, 4th grade DD, 2nd grade DS, Ker DD, and 2 yo DS.
(just using mix and match stuff for K, though she'll do as much as possible in ECC)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon May 14, 2012 11:33 am

jabec wrote:Could some one explain to me what exactly you all are putting into a seperate planner?

Thanks
menus
doctor's appt
sports/dance
speech therapies...
chores
life
academic... I scribble in mfw grid and call it good enough. I will never win a prize for organized. I'm the Nike homeschooler: just do it

it's like organizing kitchen cabinets...variety of right ways.

I am the type who panics on those fancy things.. other people find them to have a source of comfort to get the day done.

it's all good...

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon May 14, 2012 11:43 am

jabec wrote: I was just going to write everything in the TM,
Like Crystal, I just do that. Just to reassure you that it can be done. In the squares, I'll write something short like "Chap 2" for reading or 7th grade science. Below the grid, I will add something extra we did. If anything needs more explanation, then I write it out over by the notes. Anything I want to plan ahead for, I list on an old junk mail envelope where I keep a running list. I've used pretty much the same system from 3rd to 10th grades. But only 1 child on the grid.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs