Health, Safety, Phy Ed - Meeting state requirements

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Julie in MN

Re: Health

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:26 pm

s_duguid wrote:A follow-up question I have is how do you write this up if you are doing something informal? In NY, we submit an IHIP (Individualized Home Instruction Plan.) I'm so used to filling in the curriculum I'm using and stating clearly the subjects/objectives/scope/sequence we'll be covering. I would like to approach health more informally and more organically, but am unsure how to state this in my IHIP in a way that is measurable. Any ideas?
I wonder if you could take the World Book scope & sequence, and check things off. Maybe even make a grid and write in the individual things you do?
http://www.worldbook.com/typical_course_of_study.html

Early in homeschooling my youngest, I used the book Evaluating For Excellence by Teresa Moon (it may have changed titles since then). I can't remember health (I could look later), but there are many pages showing ways to evaluate & record different subject matter, from observation sheets to checklists.

Oh, and for my high schooler, I used the Form-U-La book by Barb Shelton to organize some subjects. It's for high school, but it definitely has some good ideas for making a homespun credit show its worth to an outsider. (Although here in Minnesota, we just have to be willing to show things if asked, and I have yet to be asked...)

Julie
P.S. More ideas are here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3300
Last edited by Julie in MN on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: Health

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:58 pm

for objective/scope/sequence,
I'd probably use fancy educator lingo that sounds like "state standards" in health/wellness.
Here is one example from Indiana.
click
http://dc.doe.in.gov/Standards/Academic ... earch.aspx
then use the box marked "more" next to subjects and use the pull down menu for Health/Wellness,
pick a grade level
hit search.
borrow terms like that.
make sure you hit the little plus sign in the boxes for even more specifics.

when it comes to saying what curriculum: say things like through the use of library and living books, discussions with experts, field trips, and hands on projects student will learn and discover:
then list some of those objectives that match.

then, put little check boxes that you covered it.

Posted Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:44 am by cbollin
in CTG: in the Genesis for Kids book there are several units with health related topics.
In RTR, the first semester science will have much time for health and anatomy. The Body Book in RTR will have a lot of this in sections called Healthy Choices. As you come to those sections in the body book, you could just make sure that your child knows that stuff.
Apologia General science – there are modules with anatomy and such.
In high school, MFW uses Total Health for a semester credit.
in some ways in the Kindy program, there is time to discuss health in the units on senses.

Much of our health learning has come from real life situations vs. school work though.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Teaching Safety

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:52 am

baileymom wrote:Since we are homeschoolers, and not in the 'world' as much as some families...we've had a few safety issus come up... My 10 yr old can't remember my cell phone number, my 8 yr old opened the door for the jehovah's witness, my 5 yr old doesn't know what city we live in, etc.

I'm looking for something unit study-ish to incorporate into our daily circle time. I would like it to encompass the whole sha-bang: fire safety, stranger safety, playground safety, home safety, weather safety... I've googled my fingers to death this morning, and cannot find anything. Does anyone know of something? Or can anyone give me a good LIST to cover (I've made one, but am afraid I've left some things out).

Thanks!
One thing I've done is during calendar time, I have my boys say their address, phone number and birthday (they're twins, so they have the same birthday). So, that helps with the "practical."

We're still working on "Don't run to the door, just because the doorbell rings!" But, they now finally don't open the door until I've given the say so. Only mommy or daddy are allowed to open the front door to strangers. And, they have to tell us who is at the door before we'll give them the okay to open, and sometimes I still say, "Let mommy handle this." (Neighbor friends that we don't want the kids running the streets with...)

You might think about posting a sign, "School in session, please do not disturb" on your front door if you're getting people coming during the day. (We had to do that one year when our school year went beyond the local public school year, and the local kids were wanting to play. We have number of hours/days requirements we have to fulfill in our state.) We also have a "No Soliciting" sign, and that has helped tremendously.

For fire safety, hmm. Just find some books from the library? My dd went to a preschool and they covered it for maybe 2 or 3 class sessions, and she still remembers "stop, drop and roll" and I heard her teaching it to her brothers the other day. Maybe you belong to a homeschool support group and you could get some local firemen to do a presentation on fire safety for a bunch of kids together?

For "strangers," again, I think it helps to explain things in context. So, you go out to the department store, and then you talk to your children. "So, if you were to get lost from mommy, you can try to find someone who works for the store - see, they're the ones with the red shirts. Or, look for another mommy who has lots of children and say, "Excuse me. I've lost my mom. Can you help me?"

Or, if they are playing outside... Okay, so if someone drives their car up and says, "Hey, I've lost my dog, do you think you could help me find it?" You say, "Let me go get my mom." and run to the house as fast as possible.

I'm going to tell a story here. About 2 years ago (boys would have been 4), we were checking out at the grocery store (and we had never talked about this kind of stuff). Well, one of my boys left with the lady in the next aisle over - she had a big race car cart like we did, and she was wearing the same shorts as I was, so he totally missed that this wasn't his family (and I was busy paying for my groceries or getting out coupons or something, so I didn't see that he had done this). Anyway, she was heading out one of the exits, and my son realized that we NEVER go out that exit, so he looked up and realized he wasn't with his mom, and he just started screaming. "I've lost my mommy! This isn't my mommy!" over and over. He was horrified. Well, about 10 seconds before that was when I realized he wasn't with me. So I'm frantically looking when I hear his screaming. So, I go get him and the lady was so apologetic and everything, so it all worked out. But one of the things we talked about later (when we were all calm again) was that was the exact right thing to do. So, two thoughts from this... if a store has multiple entrances, go in one, and go out a different one, so the child notices something is different. Second, teach your children that it is okay to scream like crazy if they are lost or someone else tries to get them to go with them or something. Teach them that they can talk to police/firemen or store employees for help, etc.

Now, my kids are different, and they won't hardly leave my side when we go out shopping and such (like I said, the lady had the same shorts and same cart as we did). But I know I was a really naughty kid, and I used to hide under the clothes racks at Sears and hide from my mom. My mom lost me more than once that way and had Sears on lock-down more than once until I was found. I don't know how to correct that, and am grateful that God gave me different children than I was in that respect. Now, if my children misbehave in the store (meaning touch everything, or fight with each other or whatever), they have to pick up when they get home and can't get any more toys out for the rest of the day, so they pretty much will behave.

One of my kids is extra friendly, so we've really had to work with her about being careful. But, she does have our home phone and address memorized. And if she goes to a friends house, dh will give her his cell and has shown her how to call home on it. I have a another friend who had a pay-as-you-go phone for her oldest to take with him when he goes out to play, and the only thing he can use it for is to call home or 911. The phone numbers are preprogrammed into the phone, and all they have to do is go through the phone book until it says "Mom's cell" or "Home" or whatever.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

jasntas

Re: Teaching Safety

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 pm

TriciaMR wrote:One thing I've done is during calendar time, I have my boys say their address, phone number and birthday (they're twins, so they have the same birthday). So, that helps with the "practical."

We're still working on "Don't run to the door, just because the doorbell rings!"
We do the same things.
TriciaMR wrote:We also have a "No Soliciting" sign, and that has helped tremendously.
I need to get one of those signs.
TriciaMR wrote:For fire safety, hmm. Just find some books from the library? My dd went to a preschool and they covered it for maybe 2 or 3 class sessions, and she still remembers "stop, drop and roll" and I heard her teaching it to her brothers the other day. Maybe you belong to a homeschool support group and you could get some local firemen to do a presentation on fire safety for a bunch of kids together?
Good ideas. My ds still remembers 'stop, drop and roll', too. There are some good books from the library that cover this. There are also a few children's shows that cover this as well. Arthur is one that comes to mind.
TriciaMR wrote:For "strangers," again, I think it helps to explain things in context. So, you go out to the department store, and then you talk to your children. "So, if you were to get lost from mommy, you can try to find someone who works for the store - see, they're the ones with the red shirts. Or, look for another mommy who has lots of children and say, "Excuse me. I've lost my mom. Can you help me?"

Or, if they are playing outside... Okay, so if someone drives their car up and says, "Hey, I've lost my dog, do you think you could help me find it?" You say, "Let me go get my mom." and run to the house as fast as possible.
Good reminders. I need to cover these again myself.
TriciaMR wrote:I know I was a really naughty kid, and I used to hide under the clothes racks at Sears and hide from my mom.
That was so me. The bad thing is I do have one like that. She scares me to death. Then to make it worse, this child clams up when scared. That worries me even more. The other one is like your dc, clings to me like glue so bad that he won't even move to get out of someone else's way. They couldn't be more opposite.

You've given really good advice, Trish. I like the cell phone advice, too.

There are some good books and videos out there accessible through most libraries as Trish mentioned.

You know, I think this was brought up on this board maybe a year ago. I remember there was a video mentioned that I had my dc watch about safety from strangers. It was pretty good and not frightening. I just tried looking it up through our library system online but the site seems to be down. I'll try to find it again later. Or, if someone else remembers, maybe they could post the name.

There is also this link that might be helpful.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... ger+safety

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:11 pm

Kathi,
I remember discussing this before & someone helped me figure out that I was looking for the name "John Walsh." Here is my post that I dug out of my old email files, and John Walsh is the guy I was referring to. He teaches a very strict "ask a parent" rather than "stranger danger." Here is what I posted:
  • I once saw an interview with that guy whose son was taken & the dad now has a TV show to catch criminals. Sorry so vague, but I'm not much of a TV watcher. Anyways, he was talking about how hard this topic is to teach, because no criminal is going to say, "Hey, I'm a bad guy." Instead, he'll say, "Help me find my puppy!" And most books give more of an idea that bad guys just *look* like bad guys. Not doing that might make the world pretty scary, I suppose.

He suggested it's more about teaching to go to mom & dad first. Teaching a good habit of, "Yes, I'll help you find your puppy! I just have to tell my mom first," and instantly run to mom before anything else happens. I wonder if he has a video about this, now that I think of it? Maybe not, but that TV guy might be a resource to look into, since he's BTDT.

Julie

P.S. This TV guy was not really in favor of teaching kids to beware of strangers, and neither am I. When my oldest son was 6 or 7, he got lost once and was petrified to ask any "strangers" for help, which caused him to get more lost and to suffer great guilt after he finally did talk to a stranger. That's when I went looking for another method!
And here is what Amy C. found out to help jog my brain:
  • The TV guy's name is John Walsh, and he teamed up with Julie Clark, the creator of Baby Einstein, to produce the Safe Side dvd (there may be more than one). I have not watched it so I don't know how good it is, but it might be good to check out.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Julie in MN wrote:The TV guy's name is John Walsh,
Yes, Julie! That's it! The Safe Side is the name of the video.

The summery states the following:
  • "Teaches kids how to avoid dangerous situations with people they don't know and kinda know. Empowers children to make smart decisions".
I found that it helps equip kids to know who is safe to approach and who is not when your lost or in danger and what to do in a potentially bad situation, etc. I thought it was a really good video. My dc actually enjoyed watching it. I think I just may check it out again as a refresher for my dc. ;) :)

Again, HTH :)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:47 pm

baileymom wrote: Or can anyone give me a good LIST to cover (I've made one, but am afraid I've left some things out).
I'm sure we all leave things out on this stuff and it has nothing to do with where kids receive academics. so, ((hugs)))

*fire safety:

you know, you can visit a fire station near you and ask them for a tour and activity books. it can be fun. Until then, this is what you'd hear from school assembly and/or church assembly when you have a fire captain as a member of the congregation:
GET SMOKE DETECTORS. They save lives!
HARD WIRE TO ELECTRICITY WITH BATTERY BACK UP IS IDEAL -- PUT IT ON YOUR LIFE ROUTINE to CHANGE BATTERIES. GOOD TIME? WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR CLOCKS? (AS IN DAYLIGHT TIME?) Check the batteries.
(SORRY ABOUT all caps...) I am shouting that though.

Make a plan on where you will meet outside of the house.
By all means, go to the fire house and ask for a quick tour.

*when is the last time you checked your fire extinguishers? You don't have any? I think a trip to wally world and/or lowes might be in order.

Seriously, twice a year at my church in Indiana, Captain Dale was given the podium to remind us to change our batteries and he brought in samples of smoke detectors and all of that. Are there are fire fighters in your church who might enjoy helping you with it. It can be done in co-op or family. The big thing they want the kids to see is that when the firefighters are in full turn out gear, it can look a little scary, but they are never to hide.

Oct. 3-9 is National Fire Prevention week. here are some lesson plans from the National Fire Protection Association.
http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?cate ... kie_test=1
sounds like a good time to go visit that station. and check/change your batteries in your smoke detector and get a fire extinguisher near the kitchen and all of that. Since "they" moved the timing of daylight savings time to end in November instead of this weekend......

*Cooking Safety

*Food safety (when do throw this stuff out? before it becomes mold for apologia biology module 4 or sooner?)

*medical safety specific to the family. Keep chart on fridge if needed of all doctors, dentists, chiropractors, etc. etc to call. When I was 11, my mom and older brother went out of the house to buy shoes for him. I stayed home b/c my next door neighbor was over and the mom from next door was available. we were all friends and back and forth at each others' houses. Well, within minute of mom and brother leaving, there was a freak accident that involved me smacking my tooth into a sharp corner of my dad's favorite recliner. I lost my permanent tooth. It was a Saturday. I had to go next door and look in their phone book for my dentist name. (now, duh, I should have just grabbed an appointment card from my mom's dresser, but in the hysteria of the moment, and I was 11....) anyway, I called the number, knowing it was closed on Saturday, but there was a message about emergencies. I had to call the dentist's house. Turns out he was at his next door neighbor, who was a medical doctor, because he (the dentist) had just smashed his thumb badly with a hammer...... and anyway, I had to get instructions what to do with my tooth, and... well, ok, 30 minutes later, when my mom was back home... the phone rang and they made the appointment to come in on Monday...... I got a root canal and a crown... it lasted until a few months ago, and I have a new one now.

* More safety

*answering phone (Mom is not able to answer right now and she asked me to give her the message so she can call back in a little bit.) better yet -- let it go to the voice mail and/or check caller id.

*answering door - or not answering it.

*phone list - practice letting them call your cell. Put in on speed dial/memory if you have to. Put the list on the fridge if you have to. Do they have dad's number?

*how to cross a street,

*how to find your minivan in the shopping mall parking lot? (have you even played the game of "ok. Who knows where Mommy parked?" It took me one time doing that where the kids realized they had no idea. I told them my method for remembering it. Every store we went to for a while, we made sure we knew a path to find the van without having to hit the alarm button.

*tell them not to say your full names too loudly, or other info too loudly.

*teach them to cover up the credit card numbers while standing in line.

*use buddy system

*to help teach full name, birthdate, city, state, zip: just require it on written work in language arts or a notebooking assignment. They need practice to write it.

*when you are in the van driving around: ask the kiddos, ok, which way do I turn? What street on we are? Where's the nearest gas station? Look at the gas gauge - do we need to fill up?

*those who are old enough -- send them to a class for teen ager babysitters to learn what to do in emergencies.

*internet safety!!!!!!!!!

one of those things on my heart. If a lost child comes to you, and you are able to help mom and child find each other --- just offer a warm smile to the mom and say "you taught the right things to find another mom with kids. good job." I know some people might view it as a moment to "chastise" the other mom, as when my attention got diverted for 5 seconds and my autistic child was behind the tree just sitting...

-crystal

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm

When mine were 2 and 5, we went to Disney. I made bracelets with our cell phone number on them. My 5 year old knew her home number but if someone called it, we wouldn't be there! They should know your cell number even more! My husband got lost as a child in Disney so my mother-in-law was very concerned. We didn't lose them but other parents were asking about their bracelets. So if you have to go to somewhere crowded..even the county fair...make sure they have your cell number somewhere. (Even write it on their arm and tell them to show it to another mommy)

That is my other suggestion...if they get lost, tell them to find another mommy with kids. I didn't want my kids to go up to any adult man..even if he worked at the store. I never told them to go up front and announce they were lost. I always say "find another mommy".

If you just need a quick way to learn your cell phone number...sing it to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. (you can't add area code or it won't work)

Elmo has a cute fire safety video that I am sure you can find on youtube. I remember him showing a fireman in full dress and telling kids not to be scared of them. Apparently, they look so freaky with the masks on that kids were hiding and not wanting to go to them even in a fire. I bet you can google that.

Have a meeting point....mailbox, next door neighbor's porch, etc in case there was a fire.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

Julie in MN

health & social studies?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:09 am

erin.kate wrote:Our state has a health requirement for all grades. Do any of you use a health book or program that you really love for the primary grades?

Also, I'm planning on calling the Bible history in MFW1 our social studies for our annual portfolio assessment. Has anyone also used MFW1 as-is and counted the Bible story/notebooking as social studies? Does anyone think that is a crazy idea? :-)

Thanks for your help!
Erin Kate,
Bible history is definitely "social studies." So is geography. Here's what the National Council for the Social Studies says" %|
  • Social Studies

NCSS defines social studies as "the integrated study of the social sciences and humanities to promote civic competence." Within the school program, social studies provides coordinated, systematic study drawing upon such disciplines as anthropology, archaeology, economics, geography, history, law, philosophy, political science, psychology, religion, and sociology, as well as appropriate content from the humanities, mathematics, and natural sciences. In essence, social studies promotes knowledge of and involvement in civic affairs. And because civic issues—such as health care, crime, and foreign policy—are multidisciplinary in nature, understanding these issues and developing resolutions to them require multidisciplinary education. These characteristics are the key defining aspects of social studies.
erin.kate wrote:Hooray! You saved the day, Julie.
Now, to find a health program. I wish R&S started before second grade. hmm...
Here are some ideas that might help?
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3300

Some of the curriculum companies do have health programs, such as Alpha Omega and ABeka. But really, you should be able to find a video or storybook at the library for their ages. A chart about vegetables and a taste test? An extra 5 minutes with the dental hygienist? A visit to the fire dept.?

I always take a peek around the web when I'm thinking something through, so here's the K health at our local public school (the teacher my dd had):
  • Health: Our health units revolve around personal health and fitness. The children study personal hygiene, safety (bus, pedestrian, good touch/bad touch), and the importance of exercise.
The 1st and 2nd grade teachers just posted this, which doesn't sound much different:
  • Personal Health, Safety and Wellness
Julie

cbollin

Re: health & social studies?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:33 am

Health. yes this is enough:

take them to the doctor, dentist or chiropractor for regular well care visits. Ask for brochures to read from those offices.
Work on daily hygiene routines.
Work on good nutrition.
work on healthy habits (especially during cold and flu season)
and exercise every day!
  • Health:
    Using everyday, real life experiences, students will engage with health care industry and fitness in order to continue on journey of life long habits for healthy lifestyle. Studies to include age appropriate reading material, field trips, real life check ups, food and nutrition, integration of information into daily living. Family based Exercise included.
you're covered.

Fire Safety: October, fire safety month. visit fire station. teach 911. CHANGE THE BATTERIES IN YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR. plan how to escape the house.

One other idea to show for samples:
go to the fire stations and ask them for a coloring book/kid book and do the activities in there.
take pictures of the child changing batteries in smoke detector or doing a monthly test of the smoke detector.

make a scrapbook of health lifestyle.

it doesn't have to be with textbooks or curriculum. Life!
-crystal

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks, ladies! I really need to think outside.of.the.box.

Great ideas. I will figure out monthly health ideas and write them down in my new planner ... haha. So official. Ugh.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

kanderson

Unread post by kanderson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:58 pm

We used Rod and Staff for Health this year (1st grade), although it was 2nd grade according to R&S. I found it was great and easy enough for a 1st grader. HTH!
erin.kate wrote:Thanks, Kathi and Kristin. This does help. Sometimes a little book of work is useful since I need to show two work samples per quarter. oops. What is the R&S like ... and do I need the TM too?
You won't need the TM for R&S. I bought one and haven't need to use it at all. The pages are pretty self explanatory. Basically you read a story (1 page) and answer questions on the next. I read the questions aloud and wrote down my ds answers. In one lesson there is a word search, that was a nice intro to those for my ds as he have never done one yet. Lots of good content to start conversations on topics like privacy, manners and diversity. We have really been enjoying it. One thing to point out we tweaked in Lesson #12 "Keeping Myself Clean", they say you should bathe only once or twice a week. Not exactly how we do it lol. But if your child reads the lesson himself you may want to change that line to read what works for you.
erin.kate wrote:I just ordered it from R&S, and I got the TM since all told it was only $6 and I felt like I had to justify the shipping. ;) Funny about Lesson 12 ... yeah, that's what my kids might "like", but uh, no. lol.

I'm going to plan on also using Crystal's great suggestions to add to our lessons, too. Thank you so much!
Kristin
married to dh since 2001
ds-9 ECC
dd-6 1st,
ds-4 MFW Pre-School/ Rod and Staff,
dd-2, into everything!
one in the arms of Jesus

http://wefruitfullymultiplied.blogspot.com/

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:39 pm

One way to work in safety...we just did this for our kindergarten K lesson today. The Words to Remember for the K unit is "I am safe in God." We read the book Officer Buckle and Gloria, by Peggy Rathmann. It is a wonderful, enjoyable book about safety tips. After reading the book, I asked my dd to come up with some safety tips of her own...one to keep her safe at home, in the car, at the pool, and in the store. It is an enjoyable way to discuss safety at a K and 1st grade level.
erin.kate wrote:Thanks, Jen, for your great idea! Love pulling their ideas from what they read ... esp when it's something as relevant and intentional as safety. Daddy is a Fire Medic so he'll be a great teacher of this part of health! :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Mexmarr

I need exercise suggestions for my 5yo DD

Unread post by Mexmarr » Wed May 18, 2011 3:38 pm

psalm126mama wrote:I don't want to overthink this and officially call it PE, but I need some ideas about getting my DD moving more.

Whenever I try to get her to play outside, she wants to bring her markers, scissors, glue out there and do arts & cratfs. That is her idea of "playing outside". We bought her a new bike but she'd rather color with sidewalk chalk on the driveway - or bring a book out there and read it. Which are all lovely things, but I need to get her moving more.

I've tried things like let's run and touch the tree then come back. She does it once but that's it. Same thing when I try to kick a ball with her. She's bored in two minutes. Then she's begging to come back in the house.

Has anyone encountered this before?
What has worked at your house?
What kind of activities do your children enjoy doing outside?

P.S.
I googled "kindergarten physical education" but most of the games required too many players as they were designed for a classroom setting.
One thing that I do with my kids, is that I stop them in between subjects, or chapters of read alouds and have them do jumping jacks. Another idea is to have them jump on a mini trampoline while you read to her.

Your run and touch the tree idea is good, but don't let her stop at one. Tell her she has to do it x amount of times. You could make it fun by picking 2 distances and put a bowl with something to eat, raisins, grapes, M & Ms etc. at each point. She can run between each one and get one piece each time she runs.
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

OtterMommy

Re: I need playing outside/exercise suggestions for my 5yo D

Unread post by OtterMommy » Wed May 18, 2011 3:57 pm

We do push-ups, jumping jacks, etc., but that only goes so far. We've started them running on a treadmill (age 5), and that is a good energy releaser (we live in the midwest, so we don't go out for MONTHS during the winter)! Would a small trampoline be fun? Those are inexpensive! We live in the city with almost no yard, so we do visit parks and the zoo often. We also take family walks; there's no way to cut paper while doing that!
Wife to the best
Mom to ds (6), dd (5), dd (3), and ds (4 months)
MFW K and 1st

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed May 18, 2011 4:02 pm

My kids love playing outside, so I can't relate... But, some ideas...

1. Go to a park. (Don't bring any books or arts and crafts.)
2. Make a play date at the park, so that they have to "play."
3. Play catch.
4. Swings.
5. Do it with her.
6. Swimming lessons.

I have one twin who isn't as active as his brother. But, if all my kids are playing a game together, they're more likely to keep going. We have a swing set fort, and my kids have all kinds of creative games. Invite friends over and play outside. Maybe find a friend that is more interested in playing rather than coloring/reading.

We do have a mini-tramp that they'll jump on if they need to get the wiggles out, but my kids are wiggly active kids.

Scooter, bike (ride with her - we do that when it warms up, all go bike riding), jump rope, simply go for a walk.

If you think she is "out of shape," start small. Do 5 minutes a day the first week, then 10 the next, then 15, then 20... until you work up to 30 minutes of active play a day. (That's how I have to do it when I've not been exercising for a while.)

We also have a P.E. class during the school year once a week. (A former public school P.E. teacher now offers P.E. classes.) That gives them more games.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed May 18, 2011 7:10 pm

There are also lots of fitness kids videos out there if that sounds like something you might be interested in. I haven't used any myself but Netflix has some and your library might carry some, too.

I do have a book that lists large and small group playground games. Most require at least two players but if you were willing to join in maybe it could work. (I am assuming your dd is an only or the oldest.) Excercise and sports type games are much more fun when played in a group setting. My book is called The Ultimate Palygound and Recess Game Book by Guy Bailey. You might be able to check it out, or one like it, from your local library.

You may also think about getting her involved in a city sports league or two if possible. Kids can play Tee Ball at 4 where we live. There are soccer leagues, basketball, etc. Or maybe gymnastics, dance, a martial arts, etc.

Just some ideas. HTH

Dusenkids

Unread post by Dusenkids » Wed May 18, 2011 7:41 pm

My guess is that you have probably tries this but can you use the chalk/books to get her started? Maybe she has to draw hopscotch or four/two square and play that for x mins before she can draw what she wants. Let's walk around for ---- min before we come back and draw what we found. Put her chalk inside eggs and hide them around the yard before she can draw.
Act out the book she is reading or act out a new ending...What do you think said character's favorite game is and lets play that for --- mins. Let her draw pictures of some of her favorite characters and hide them ourside for a game of "hide and seek" . Maybe try to find things outside that she read in a book, lots of nature stuff in everyday books. My ds, about the same age) likes to take pictures of things outside and turn them into stories.
Would she be interested in a little garden?

Anyway, I know that they are not "get-up and run" ideas but my guess is that you will need to start small and build from there. Good luck ((hugs))
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

purepraisemom

Unread post by purepraisemom » Thu May 19, 2011 12:27 am

this is not an outdoor idea but it's one that keeps my kids moving constantly....

we use exercise balls as seating in our living room and at the table. they sit on them - keeping their core muscles active and tight whether they are doing school work, sitting and doing crafts or watching a video, etc.

For a 5 year old, you can use a small yoga ball to get the right size.
Another bonus is that according to studies, there is proof that kids who sit in these balls are better readers.
new to MFW 2011
homeschooling since 1999

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu May 19, 2011 8:55 am

Julie in MN wrote:
purepraisemom wrote:we use exercise balls as seating in our living room and at the table. they sit on them - - keeping their core muscles active and tight
Ahhh, that's what my ds has been doing all these years !!
definitely agreeing about being on the ball. I'm not a child fitness expert on the ball, but yeah, for adults... wow..... do correct ab work on the ball and you are working those deep ab muscle and core strength and protecting your back all at the same time.
but the topic is younger children... I definitely would not think of it as PE class. That's not active. That's standing around watching others and trying a few skills to learn. Think instead of "active play" indoor or out.

Active play time for kiddos:

Play with your children and chase them up and down the steps at the playground. Put one baby in a sling if needed. Been there, did that for years!

Find a fenced in playground in your city that has in mind the needs of children aged 6 and under. That means you'll have lower to the ground equipment so the little kiddos who are there with older sibling have stuff as well. and chase your kids. don't just sit. fit families.....

part of it is doing something with your child. This is the time of year when cheap discount stores (big lots, wally world, etc) sell those inexpensive outdoor toys -- scoops with balls, toy golf stuff, bowling thingies, kickballs.... go get them! and play with your child. They want interaction... .we have to do that with them. I liked the idea someone gave about having your child take her chalk and make squares or triangles and such... then, help her go the extra step. Number them. Call out which square to jump. Call out which square to stand on one foot.

Dance classes are wonderful. Or try classes at local centers for movement. Does your library has any copies of the Greg and Steve songs? (those are awesome b/c they'll sing out what to do..... while the music plays. I can't tell you how many many hours I spent doing the tip toe dance, or chicken dance, or any of those. Yes, I had younger children as well. and one of them has sensory integration dysfunction and was a totally miserable person in her body for the first 4 years of her dear little life!). I know tired.

Use the Music CD and activities in the MFW K guide for some active classes to music. Music and movement.

go and get silly outside. I know it is hard work at the playground with 3 children. trust me on this? I know! and yes, I used slings and yes, It was hard to keep up with my autistic child.... especially once she learned to use that scooter. ugh! Yes it meant that I didn't get to sit down with the inactive moms in the shade and talk, but I got to talk with the active moms with a baby in arms who would push one in the swing while my oldest chased her oldest.....

red light green light
freeze tag

but it is so much fun. and so worth it. so tiring. and yet I wouldn't trade any of those moments with my kids.

I watched other moms -- have strollers for the babies/toddler and use an outdoor track to let the preschool/kindy age child run on up ahead of me while I catch up..... (that wasn't me... mine hated strollers. ugh)

But what to do in the winter months? It might be worth it to join a club or YMCA or community rec center where you can just toss a ball in a court. or walk indoor track. Some of them during the days do not have the racketball courts in use, so you can get in there with a playground ball and kick and chase and have fun. you close the door and bingo, the younger kids are in the room with you. ask at the desk if they have kid equipment. they might. and no you don't have to join a fancy gym. there are places that are community centers with all of this stuff too. and your tax dollars already cover it.

I have to go get my set structure as a group exercise instructor. I love having my children work with me at home. My youngest knows those routines and joins in. that little stinker grabs my iPod nano and finds her favorite songs and does them without me. I'm not sure a 5 year old is the right age for it. but when she's older....

well, this will not lead to lifelong fitness, but it is better than nothing...... wii fit games can be fun and at least give you something to do. it's better than nothing. We got a wii for christmas. It helped dh to do something. Then, he modified food intake and choices and each day at work he walks one mile at an indoor track the hospital has for employees. and he lost those 20 pounds baby!

anyway... use music and movement. here's a link to that Greg and Steve stuff. (love it!
http://www.gregandsteve.com/
I haven't kept up with their new stuff. Kids in Motion was the one that we used over and over and over again! animal action is so much fun.... I still like that one.... bean bag boogie. (now put your bean bag on your arm while you move to the sound... now put that bean bag on your nose.. don't let that bean bag touch the ground) the other greg and steve that we used... We All Live Together, vol. 2. especially the song Listen and Move. just check out the music samples....
and then there's Laurie Berkner (we are the dinosaurs marching marching... we are the dinosaurs whaddya think of that!)
there's classics of the Wiggles. (can you point your finger and do the twist? ooh ooh do the wiggle groove)

can you tell, I really enjoyed those parts of my days when I had a Kindy/1st grader age, a preschooler, and a toddler in tow?
ok.. I was up early this morning to go to wallyworld..... lots of fun stuff on the shelves. Yesterday, I couldn't believe all of the fun outdoor stuff in the dollar bin at target. BUBBLES! we love to chase bubbles outside! sunscreen too!

blessings on getting fit for lifelong fitness!
-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rebeccal2002

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:45 am

Hi, not sure if this will help, but my kids climb trees, jump rope, hula hoops, hopscotch, play tag, swing, slide, ride bikes, and generally run around and yell. :) Maybe if she doesn't enjoy the outside, you could get a tumbling mat for inside and do some things with her. Even climbing thru some inside tent tunnels will give her some exercise. Just try to incorporate a couple things at a time, it won't happen overnight, but gradually she can get used to moving! :)

Take care,

Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Thu May 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Thank you to everyone who responded. Yesterday at this time I felt like I didn't know where to start. Now I have so many wonderful suggestions that I'm printing out this thread so I can remember it all.

I love MFW and I love the wonderful community spirit that this board and its members have. My sincerest thanks! I don't feel so alone anymore.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

alisoncooks

Unread post by alisoncooks » Thu May 19, 2011 3:19 pm

Sounds like you got some great ideas! Can't wait to try some out.
My 5 yr. old is very active and independent...my 3 yr. old....isn't. ;)

Here's what my girls like to do:
~we have 2 mini-trampolines in our house for jumping (they jump while they watch cartoons)...both yard sale finds.
~they have an exercise video they do occasionally ("Get Fit Kids: Hustle Bustle Move your Muscles" with Kristi Dear....it's kind of weird, but they love it)...I work out at home to dvds and they see me and want to work out with me.
~Does she have siblings? My girls spend so much time playing outdoors independently now that they're both old enough to play together (fenced in backyard is a blessing!) If no siblings, definitely look into playdates/playgroups! ETA: I see your signature, that she has little siblings.
~organized sports? My 5 yr. old plays soccer through the YMCA and starts tee-ball in the summer. It's a once-a-week commitment (and they offer scholarships, which helps our family).
~my girls ride their bikes/scooters a lot
~we also have a cd that they like to jump on the trampoline/dance to
~I have the FitDeck Jr. to use with my girls. My 5 yr old really enjoys using it and I got the extra little booklet that gives all the activity/game ideas (ways to use the cards in a PE setting). They can be found on Fitdeck's site.
Married to DH since 2000, with 2 sweet girls (2006 & 2008).

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Fri May 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Have you looked at the Presidential Fitness Awards?

There is a way to track activities and getting awards for going 6 weeks of doing 60min of exercise a day....or something like that. Of course you have to buy the award but it would be easy to implement something similar for your own particular family using a calender and some of her favorite things.

When my older kids were little we had a walking goal to meet. We marked out a 1 mi, 2 mi and 3 mi trek from our front door and had a celebration when we reached 10 miles, 25 miles, 50 miles and 100 miles. It was an easy fun way to get in the habit of walking. They really liked seeing that number go up.

My 8yo likes several of the wii fit games. One of his favs is Gold's Gym which is a boxing type game and he gets quite a workout.
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat May 21, 2011 8:41 am

I didn't read all the ideas that you have received so I may be repeating. It looks though like you are getting a lot of great ideas.

Do you ever take her to the park? How does she respond once at the park? Will she play? If you took her there everyday she might start to play in time.

When we lived in the city we went to the park every day for at least 1 -2 hours. Interestingly the children loved to play on all of that equipment. I thought this outdoor love would increase when we moved to the country. Hmm.. they still love to be outside and they run around our property a lot. However, they still play much harder and get far more exercise when I drive them into town to the park. There is nothing else to do there, and there is something about play equipment that engages them in full on exercise. In our yard it turns into more imagination games that don't give them as much exercise. (We aren't farmers, and we often say if we only had half a dozen animals and a farm to take care of there would be plenty of outdoor work & exercise! Truthfully though I don't know how to do either.)

So in summary the park would be my first thought.

My neighbors have had to start moving the same direction as yourself, for the same reasons. When the weather is good they have been taking a nightly family walk for her. They also enrolled her in soccer at the YMCA. I think it has helped some.